10/03/2016 11:15 AM
10/03/2016 11:15 AM
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Stinger Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Stinger  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
I could not be MORE disappointed in the work done to this range. A pitiful display of the word "improvement." But a great example of government trying to fix something that wasn't broken.

I'll never shoot there again. 17 year shooter and 12 years going to "The Slough" for target practice. ZERO real improvements to this place.

FYI - 1.5-2 million dollars and didn't add a 200 yard range, they took out the archery stand which was a great benefit to archers. They did Nothing for the shotgun clays section, literally nothing. It's just an open field.

You drive up and it looks like a chain fence prison yard. The overhead is not high enough. The construction of the overhead makes the sound of shotgun and large caliber rifles even LOUDER, instead of allowing the sound waves to travel up and out - it actually traps it in and pushes it back toward the shooter, so even with ear muffs (good ones) it is 3 times as loud as before. I could go on and on, but it is just pitiful.

One of the reviewers mentioned that the staff was "authority aggressive." I had a .22 rifle and my slug gun on my bench during the mandatory cease fire. Both pointed down range, action open with yellow tag in the action to show they were empty and I was told by one person that "he prefers" only 1 gun on a bench at a time WTF?! The other "range officers" didn't have a problem with it for over an hour, but this one guy did. Where have you ever gone where only 1 gun was allowed on a shooting bench? And where have you gone where only 1 gun on a bench.

From Another Patron:

Since they remodeled they charge you $7 an hour. They want you to fill out tons of paperwork after I already have a lifetime carry concealed permit from the state of Indiana after a FBI background check. The DNR guys there are rude and authority aggressive. Don't go there!! I've been shooting there for 20 years with no problems. Jasper/Pulaski is more shooter friendly, free of charge, and treat you like adults. I'll NEVER go to Willow Slough again.

Another Reviewer:

I have to say i'm really disappointed with this. I'm not paying $7 an hour to go shoot on public state park land. I can go to my local indoor range for an hour, whenever we go to Willow Slough it's always a 3-4 hour event. Go to Jasper-Pulaski, or even Kingsbury, they only charge $4 for the entire day. Bordertown Guns owns this now, not the DNR and they don't have the shooters best interest in mind, they have their own profits in mind.

Another Reviewer:

$7 hr is more expensive than other DNR ranges but still far cheaper than most all other private/store ranges in the area.
The staff and RSO's were friendly. The new facility is clean and accessible. There is even a store on site where you can purchase ammo, targets and other accessories.
From speaking with the people there the intent is to eventually convert into a full fledged shop, selling and renting firearms as well.

This is no longer a DNR run facility. Bordertown guns won the contract to run the facility after DNR put it out for bids to operate and maintain the range. And in that cooperative light the increase in prices makes sense since they're adding more to make it a full service firearm/archery facility rather than just a range.

Deer Hunting since 1999 (Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana Antelope)

Marketing Guy in Chicago but grew up in Indiana/ Ball State.. blah blah blah.
Re: My Review of Willow Slough Shooting Range #45456
10/07/2016 10:35 AM
10/07/2016 10:35 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
a public shooting range should never be privatized. THey ruined the atterbury range.

I like the old minne range but the bankrupt coal company took that back and sold it.

I am a member of a private shooting range/club now. Very nice ranges from skeet to 100 yds rifle and much closer to home for me.

Re: My Review of Willow Slough Shooting Range #45457
10/11/2016 07:05 AM
10/11/2016 07:05 AM
Plainfield, IN
TS Hunter Offline
Hoosier Hunter
TS Hunter  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Plainfield, IN
That was my usual spot too. Haven't been since it re-opened, but I didn't even know the whole private partnership and fees was their plan until I read stories about the re-opening. Very disappointing.

Quick question though; Am I correct to assume the review that indicated the "DNR guys there are rude and authority aggressive" were actually referring to Bordertown Guns employees?

I'm just going to go to JP now. It's practically the same distance/drive time for me, still free, and I've been wanting to get my Mosin out on the longer range.

Thanks for the info!

Semper Fi!
Re: My Review of Willow Slough Shooting Range #45458
10/12/2016 08:20 AM
10/12/2016 08:20 AM
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Stinger Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Stinger  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
TS Hunter - yes, I didn't know that the place was privatized until afterwards and then until after I researched the history of the reconstruction. So the range guys (and girls) were from Bordertown Guns.

Deer Hunting since 1999 (Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana Antelope)

Re: My Review of Willow Slough Shooting Range #45459
11/07/2016 02:01 PM
11/07/2016 02:01 PM
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Stinger Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Stinger  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Well.... I went to Jasper Pulaski on 3 occasions since my visit to Willow Slough.

I have to say the safety violations are unbelievable at JP.

One guy just started walking out to his target in the middle of at least 6 benches shooting down range. I had to yell at him to get back 4 times. He was grossly negligent. Word on the street is the older men are the worst offenders of safety violations. I notified the safety officer and he confirmed that the older guys are the absolute worst.

The next time I went - same thing. They call the range hot. I look down range - everyone is back by their bench we all give the thumbs up.... I get on the bench, take aim, took a quick look down range to make sure it was safe, someone had walked back out there. I put my rifle down, instructed my daughter (she's 11 years old) that I always look again to make sure someone isn't doing something stupid... "notice how Daddy looked again to be sure?"

The 3rd time, People rapid firing, automatic fire (against the rules).

Range officer tells a couple people to cease fire then drives off - doesn't get a thumbs up from everyone. I'm sitting at the bench shooting my .22. Others are shooting.

He drives back over and starts yelling at me to stop firing, yelling that he called cease fire and that the range is closing. I yell back, "Did I acknowledge you!!!" He says, "no."

I say, "well, you have to make sure everyone acknowledges you otherwise I didn't hear you!" He apologizes. I say, "Everyone is wearing hearing protection and there is gunfire."

He apologizes again. I say, "no problem." I start packing up, he yells at the people that he told and they stop firing. Then he drives by again and apologizes.

There is a place opening up in Lincolnwood, IL in December/January. I will be going there. High powered rifles, handguns and shotguns allowed.

Unbelievable.

Re: My Review of Willow Slough Shooting Range #45460
11/18/2016 07:03 AM
11/18/2016 07:03 AM
Stilesville, IN, USA
D
deerhunter986 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
deerhunter986  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Stilesville, IN, USA
This is why I bought a house in the country. Shoot off the back porch

Huntin is not a matter of life and death, its more important than that
Re: My Review of Willow Slough Shooting Range #45461
11/19/2016 03:07 AM
11/19/2016 03:07 AM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
X2......or a buddy....With a house in the country.

Followed by Buzzards

Moderated by  BowBo 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,662
Posts49,833
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 6 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance