Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
I recently took my rifle into a gunsmith for a trigger replacement. The triggers replacement is being paid for by Remington under a recall.

When I got my rifle back I tested it and found that it fired when I took the safety off and I was really pissed/scared.

I could not talk to the gunsmith when I picked up my rifle as he was not there at that time. I have had hard time getting hold of him on the phone due to his schedule and mine being different.

I also noticed that the new trigger was harder to pull. It was suppose to be a better trigger and much easier to pull than the old trigger.

I ended up taking the barrel off the stock and looking at how the barrel, stock, magazine and trigger guard went together. There was a screw that went though the stock. This screw was sitting against the front of the trigger and wearing off the glue that they put on the set screws at the factory. I could see where this brass screw was scratching the front part of the trigger mechanism. Now this is way up inside the gun.

I also noticed that my trigger guard (plastic) was not seating fully. It's held on by two screws. One screw on each end but nothing in the middle. And the plastic was sagging in the middle where the magazine's spring had push it downward over time.

I also noticed that at one time there were two washers that were used with these two screws. They were missing but I could see where they had been as there was washer imprints in the wood stock.

So I found some new washers and installed them were the old washers once were. This helped with one of the problems. It seems that the trigger was longer and larger than the old one and the bottom of the trigger was pushed against the trigger guard making it hard as **** to pull the trigger.

I got my dremel tool out and cut the end of the trigger down with a metal grinding stone.

Now the trigger works much better. The bottom of the trigger actually clears the top of the trigger guard and the trigger pull is much easier.

I measured the amount of force that it took to fire the gun and it was around 3 lbs. I used three different fish weighing scales. Two digital ones and one spring loaded "DE LIAR" scale.

I am going to call the gunsmith and ask him if he ever checked the rifle after he put the new trigger in.

I did try the rifle out one or two times at the store and it worked OK there. But when I got home the gun was really screwed up on further examination.

Moral of the story is check out your gun when you get it back from the gunsmith. Check it out thoroughly not just one or two times.

I still need to talk to the gunsmith and find out what's going on.

Right now I would be reluctant to take any more guns to him unless he can explain to me why my new trigger was so screwed up and why he didn't tell me about it.

I did talk to him on the phone before I picked up the gun and he told me that it was finished but that he was trying to figure out how to charge Remington for the work. He said that he would have that figured out by the next day. So two days later I went in to pick up the gun and he was not there. I had to get another store employee to get my gun for me and figure out how to work the computer to get the store to release my gun to me. That was a big pain in the butt too. I had to wait for 40 minutes and was told at first that I would have to come back later when the gun smith was there. That was unacceptable at the time so I insisted that someone get my gun for me. I could see the gun sitting on the shelf right behind the counter. And the paper work was attached to my rifle.

This happened at the new Gander Mountain Store in Evansville, IN.

I am just glad that I was able to get my gun to work after the new trigger was installed. But I feel that the gun smith should have checked the gun and told me that it was not working property before I picked it up. He never mentioned that anything was wrong when I talked to him on the phone.

Now: The main reason that Remington recalled these guns was because of a law suit against them back some years ago. The gun's original trigger/safety mechanism would not allow you to put the gun on safe if it was loaded and cocked. That caused it to go off on someone who shot someone else by accident.

Now I knew my gun had this problem but I never knew of the lawsuit or the recall until just last year.

Imagine my surprise when I got home and found that when I cocked my bolt and move the safety switch off safe and the gun fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Holly Cow!!!!!! This was not the outcome that I had expected.

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43972
10/18/2007 04:28 AM
10/18/2007 04:28 AM
Central Kentucky
DRS Offline
Hoosier Hunter
DRS  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Central Kentucky
Moose1am

You should have taken your Remington Model 660 to Rajo's on West Franklin St. I had Stan install a Timney trigger on my Ruger M-77 MKII in .270, a few years back, and he did an excellent job! Curious, what caliber is your 660? I owned a Remington Model 600 years ago in .308 and never had trouble with the trigger.

David
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43973
10/18/2007 07:22 AM
10/18/2007 07:22 AM
Atlanta, IN, USA
jkd Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jkd  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Administrator
Atlanta, IN, USA
I think I would have called Remington directly when you first noticed the malfunction and sent the gun to them for repair or replacement. It doesn't sound like the local gunsmith got things reassembled right. Given a recall situation, I don't think I would have taken the gun apart myself at that point, although I understand your frustration for sure...

I have an old Remington Model 14 pump rifle that was my grandfathers. At one point my uncle had it in his gun case and I asked him if I could have it and if my grandfather hunted much with it. He said that he used to hunt with it, but there was something wrong with it, but he didn't know. So I inspected the barrel and cleaned/lubed it, and picked up some ammo for it.

Went out to a field where I had set up a target about 30 yards away, and a buddy of mine was standing to my left and slightly behind me... I'm right handed, so as I pumped the first round into the gun, the barrel was pointed up and about 45 degrees between him and where I was facing... racked the slide forward and BBBBOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

Scared the crap out of both of us!!!!

I was thinking stuck firing pin, but on inspecting the bolt face, the pin was not sticking out. I put a drop of gun oil into the firing pin hole, and ran the action several times... put in another round, holding the gun pointing down toward the ground a few feet in front of us... KABOOOM!!!!

I took it to two different gunsmiths back then (one at the old Emroe's in Indy), and both "worked" on it and "fixed" it... and it still does the same thing. It now rests in a locked metal cabinet gunsafe at my dad's with a wire-tie tag on it that reads "gun unsafe - do not try to load or it will fire on it's own"...

I won't take any gun into the field that I'm not 100% sure is right, as it's just not worth the risk of injuring/killing someone around you or yourself...

Call Remington and ask for a new firearm...

Member of The Great White Tail Hunters - highly skilled, dedicated firearms whitetail hunter, and proud of it...
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43974
12/01/2007 05:04 PM
12/01/2007 05:04 PM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
I finally got in touch with the gun smith via telephone and explained to him what happened.

I think I need to further explain the situation to everyone. I purchased this rifle in 1973 sometime in the spring. I used it for years without any problems other than when it was loaded I could not get the safety when the gun had a shell in the chamber and it was cocked and ready to fire. I had to eject shells while the safety was off to empty the gun.

Remington had a law suit filed against them for this defective design and Remington recalled this model some time ago.

I had not been using this rifle for years and it sat on my gun rack all this time.

Now this last few years I decided to get back into hunting and while searching the web I discovered that this rifle had been recalled. I found out that Remington had certain gun shops that were certified by Remington to do this repair. The repair consisted of replacing the old trigger with a new Remington trigger that would allow the safety to be engaged while the gun was cocked and ready to fire.

So I took my gun to a Certified gun smith and ask them to do the recall repair work.

When I picked up the gun I noticed that it didn't work right when I got it home and tested it further. I noticed that when I took the unloaded gun and cocked the bolt and move the safety to the fire position that the gun fired. I found out that the trigger was making contact with a metal screw that went from one side of the rifle stock to the other in the area where the trigger was installed. I think that the new trigger is a bit larger than the old one and didn't exactly fit property. Then I also noticed that two of the washers were missing where the bolts held the trigger and trigger guard into the stock. I have taken this gun apart many times in the past but never adjusted anything. I just unscrewed the two bolts that hold the trigger in the stock and then replaced that. There is a spring inside the magazine that's a bugger to get back into place when reassembling the gun. Other that that it's just nuts and bolts.

Without the washers in place the trigger was hitting the trigger guard and making the trigger pull very hard. I modified the trigger and then installed washers and now the trigger clears the trigger guard easily and the rifle seems to work OK now.

Now I could take it back and have the gunsmith certified what happened and make sure that it's going to work OK. But I have a rubber mallet and will preform a few bump tests to ensure that the gun won't fire if bumped accidental. I did this to an extent and the gun has not fired unless I take it off safe and pull the trigger. Moving the gun from safe to fire has not resulted in the gun firing anymore. I also modified the screw with a dremel tool to give the new trigger more clearance so that the trigger does not tough this brass screw anymore. If that new trigger stays where it's suppose to then everything will be fine.

I won't take this gun out in the field until I get it tested by another gun smith.

I actually purchased this gun from Rajo's. I asked the guys at Rajo's about doing this repair work and they said that they would have to send it off to Remington to get that work done! I really didn't want to be without that gun that long. I think that it would have taken a few months to get it fixed and back to me. That's why I didn't take it to Rajo's at the time. Now if Rago's could do the work in house and give me a quicker turnaround I would have let them do the work. Right now I have other things I have to get before I can really do any hunting so there is still time to make sure the gun is going to be OK.

Originally posted by jkd:
I think I would have called Remington directly when you first noticed the malfunction and sent the gun to them for repair or replacement. It doesn't sound like the local gunsmith got things reassembled right. Given a recall situation, I don't think I would have taken the gun apart myself at that point, although I understand your frustration for sure...

I have an old Remington Model 14 pump rifle that was my grandfathers. At one point my uncle had it in his gun case and I asked him if I could have it and if my grandfather hunted much with it. He said that he used to hunt with it, but there was something wrong with it, but he didn't know. So I inspected the barrel and cleaned/lubed it, and picked up some ammo for it.

Went out to a field where I had set up a target about 30 yards away, and a buddy of mine was standing to my left and slightly behind me... I'm right handed, so as I pumped the first round into the gun, the barrel was pointed up and about 45 degrees between him and where I was facing... racked the slide forward and BBBBOOOOOOOMMMMMM!!!!

Scared the crap out of both of us!!!!

I was thinking stuck firing pin, but on inspecting the bolt face, the pin was not sticking out. I put a drop of gun oil into the firing pin hole, and ran the action several times... put in another round, holding the gun pointing down toward the ground a few feet in front of us... KABOOOM!!!!

I took it to two different gunsmiths back then (one at the old Emroe's in Indy), and both "worked" on it and "fixed" it... and it still does the same thing. It now rests in a locked metal cabinet gunsafe at my dad's with a wire-tie tag on it that reads "gun unsafe - do not try to load or it will fire on it's own"...

I won't take any gun into the field that I'm not 100% sure is right, as it's just not worth the risk of injuring/killing someone around you or yourself...

Call Remington and ask for a new firearm...

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43975
06/22/2008 11:29 AM
06/22/2008 11:29 AM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
I am going to take this gun back to the Gunsmith and have him double check it again.

When I took the gun in the fist time I talked to the gun smith but when I went to pick up the gun the gunsmith was off that day and nobody knew what to do. They finally got the password for the stores computer and were able to release the gun to me. I tested the empty gun one time while stil in the store and it seemed to work ok at that time. I should have tested in more than one time, but I didn't.

When I got home I noticed that the gun was not working property and I did some modifications myself as I didn't want to have to go though the hazzle of taking it back to the gunsmith. I didn't go hunting as I was not really happy with what happened and I dont' trust the gun at this time.

I will be taking the gun back to the gunsmith and show it to him and have him double check it again.

I may have him do some other work on the gun.

The new remington trigger is a bit larger than the origional trigger which was replace.

Most stocks for this Remington Model 660 in 222 cal don't have a brass screw in the stock to hold the stock together. I read that when a wooden stock get's a crack in it they will drill a small hole though the stock from side to side and then insert a brass screw across the stock to give it more strength. This is evidenly what has been done to my rifle stock. Although I never had this done at my request and I purchased this gun new in the early 1970's right before they discontinued this model.

The trigger guard is made out of plastic or rubber and I don't like it at all. It's not really strong and won't fit tight against the bottom of the stock. The spring is pushing hard against the trigger guard and it's causing the top of the trigger gard to not fit property.

I am wondering and hoping that I can get a replacement trigger guard that's made from metal not plastic. I'll talk to my gunsmith about this when I see him next time and take the gun back

I may want to get a new stock or have this stock bedded with epoxy to make the gun shoot better. But I want to see if that would be worth the money on this gun.

I would love to buy a new Remington Model 700 as I hear they are a great rifle. Perhaps go with a bigger cartrige in a new gun and keep the 222 for varmits. But I don't really know what I am going to do other than dream right now.

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43976
06/23/2008 11:23 AM
06/23/2008 11:23 AM
Atlanta, IN, USA
jkd Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jkd  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Administrator
Atlanta, IN, USA
Might call Remington direct and see if they'd do a trade up for a 700 as a part of a return on your old gun since it's had the trigger issue to begin with...

Member of The Great White Tail Hunters - highly skilled, dedicated firearms whitetail hunter, and proud of it...
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43977
08/30/2008 05:41 PM
08/30/2008 05:41 PM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Follow up on this issue:

Well I decided to take the old gun back to Gander Mountain and found out that they have a new gun smith that actually has experience and knows what he is doing. The first gunsmith quit and moved up North. Hopefully he will get more experience but I found out that he lacked character IMHO. But that's another story and I'll just leave that alone right now.

The new gun smith runs a gunsmith shop out of Corydon, IN and he drives to Evansville, IN to work at Gander Mountain.

The new guy who's name is Bob fixed my trigger. He had to remove a brass bolt that was put in my stock for extra support. Normally these brass treaded bolts are used to fix a cracked wooden stock. Not sure why my wooden stock had this installed. The rifle does not come from the factory this way. I purchased the rifle from Ragos in Evansville back in 1973. So it may have been added by Mr Argo. I really don't know. It's been there since I bought the gun.

Anyway by removing the bolt it freed the trigger from hitting the bolt. So the gun's new trigger works OK now.

I also have Bob glass bed my rifle in the stock and free float the barrel. I can take a piece of paper and run it between the stock and the barrel now. That should make this gun a better shooter. At least that's my hope.

The trigger is a replace trigger but now the Mark-X Pro Trigger. The new trigger has a "v" Stamped into the upper part of the trigger. I read that the new trigger used to fix the rifle due to the recall had this "v" stamped on to the trigger. This shows that the gun has been modified with a new safer trigger.

Now I can keep the gun on safe and open the bolt and remove ammo from the gun. Before the recall repair work the gun has to be put into the Fire position before the bolt would work and I could unload the gun. This was a very unsafe design and resulted in the law suit and the recall.

So now my gun is much safer.

The stock is made out of wood but I am not sure what type of wood. The finish makes it look like it's Walnut but it may just be the stain on the wood. But the finish is still in pretty good shape.

I had some light surface rust on the barrel but I removed that with some 0000 steel wool and oil. The gun looks much better now.

I have a laser bore sighter that I will use to get the rifle scope setup. That should save me some ammo getting the gun to hit the paper target faster.

I use the laser bore sighting device on my pellet rifle and it got me on paper the first shot. In fact the first shot was right on the outer edge of the bulls eye of the target.

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43978
08/30/2008 08:13 PM
08/30/2008 08:13 PM
Atlanta, IN, USA
jkd Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jkd  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Administrator
Atlanta, IN, USA
Sounds like you've got it figured out... I would still be extra careful at the range when chambering and working the safety until you get some confidence the repair truly fixed the issue...

Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43979
09/01/2008 01:50 PM
09/01/2008 01:50 PM
Walkerton, In.
Ranger Bob Offline
Ranger Bob  Offline
Walkerton, In.
I too, had a winchester 97' shotgun go off unexpectedly when I chambered a round. In the old day they didn't install a disconnector in the trigger group. That's why it's "always" best to keep a gun pointed in a safe direction. As some of us have learned.....LOL

Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43980
09/16/2009 05:08 AM
09/16/2009 05:08 AM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Well before I could take the rifle to the gun range and get it sighted in I had a heart attack. That was six months ago. I am just now getting back to the internet and thinking about hunting again.

Right now I am looking for a steel or aluminum gun trigger guard for my Remington Model 660 Rifle.

I may call Rago's and see if they can order one. I found a few on the internet but they want about 75 bucks for just the metal trigger guard and I think that's too expensive for this old gun. Especially if I can't even go hunting anymore.

According to my heart surgeon I had two previous heart attacks that were not diagnosed until my open heart surgery. I just thought that I was out of shape.

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43981
12/30/2009 10:05 AM
12/30/2009 10:05 AM
Southern Indiana
C
Coyotehunter Offline
Coyotehunter  Offline
C
Southern Indiana

Regards,

Coyotehunter
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43982
12/30/2009 10:11 AM
12/30/2009 10:11 AM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Recovery from open heart surgery is hard. While still in the hospital I could barely walk 100 ft without getting tired and out of breath.

Today I walk for 30 minutes straight but I that's indoors and on level ground. I'll find a big store and walk around the store for 30 minutes to get back into shape. It's slow but I am making progress. My heart function is still no where like it was before my three heart attacks.

I had one heart attack that never was diagnosed until the surgeon opened up my chest to fix 4 blocked heart arteries. He told me verbally that he saw evidence of two previous minor heart attack.

I remember the day I had the first really sever chest pains but failed to realize that I was having a heart attack. Evidently it only did minor damage to my heart muscle. I suspect that was back around 2003/4 sometime but can't remember the exact time. All I know is that I about crumpled over with pain in my chest. I thought it was pleurisy and that it would go away. Well it lasted ( was painful) for two days almost before the pain stopped. By then part of my heart muscle had died. Now I use to get out and get around and was pretty athletic playing ice hockey. But I noticed that I was getting tired easily and it was getting harder and harder to motivate my self to get out and cut the grass. I found that my arms got really tired just raising them up to wash my hair. I knew that something was not right but I figured that I was just out of shape. I figured that I could someday start a walking and exercise program to get back into shape and even get back into ice skating someday. Well that never happened. I had the Big one on March 2nd 2009. I spent a week in the hospital just recovering so that I could have the open heart operation. They did that on March 12th. I spent the next 11 days in INTENSIVE Care trying to recover from the surgery. They gave me great care at Deaconess Hospital and my surgeon did his job well. If it didn't hurt so much afterward I'd let him operate on me again. hehe. Well the next 30 days I spent in the step down cardiac care unit until I was finally discharged on April 7th. It's taken several more months to get back to my old self. But I'll never be the same again. I want to do a few things before the old heart gives out someday.

Dec 23rd I went ahead and ordered a new solid steel trigger guard for my old Remington Model 660 222 rifle. It should be in in a few more days and then I'll install it myself.

I tried to get Bob the gunsmith at Gander Mountain to sell one to me and install it on my rifle but he told me to go to the Remington web site and find a dealer that sells them on line. So that's what I did. The old plastic trigger guard is warped badly and doesn't hold the metal spring in place. So soon I'll be installing the new METAL trigger guard. I hope it fits right the first time. I'll have to wait and see.

Then I'll take this gun to the range and site the scope in. I have two laser bore sighting devices that I'll be able to choose from to do this job.

I started walking outside this last month and took my Garmin eTrex Vista GPS with me to time my walks. The VISTA GPS tells me how fast I am walking, the max speed and the average speed. It tells me my average moving speed and stopped time. So it knows when I am walking and when I stop to rest. So far I was able to walk about 2.5 miles which I felt was good.

I hope to work on my walking program and slowly get my heart muscle and lungs stronger. I don't the lung capacity that I had as a youth as it's about 1/4 the capacity as it was 15 years ago.

Thankfully I stopped smoking in 1993 and I think that helped save my life. I would have been dead right now if I has been still smoking cigarettes.

Believe me when they saw your breast bone in half it's a wake up call.

My old next door neighbor who is 3 years younger than me almost had a heart attack. He went to the hospital with chest pains and they were able to unblock his heart artery before his heart muscle died. They did a cardiac cauterization on him and found the blockage and fixed it with a stent. Now he carries Nitroglycerin tablets with him and still goes out duck hunting with his brothers. I too had the same procedure only they said that I was not able to get the stint but had to have bypass surgery on my heart. They also repaired my mistral valve and did a MAZE procedure on me to stop me from having Atrial Fibrillation. AF can kill. The procedure was successful and I don't have to take medicine for AF anymore. Thank god. I have to take other meds for my high blood pressure and diabetes. Luckily I got the diabetes under control and am not really a diabetic. My long term blood sugar tests are normal now and so is my other blood sugar tests. Having open heart surgery can create so much stress on the body that it can cause you to have high blood sugar levels for a while. After you recover the blood sugar levels go back to normal.

So I look forward to doing some hunting n the future. I am only two years behind schedule now. LOL

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43983
12/30/2013 08:24 AM
12/30/2013 08:24 AM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
I guess I should update this post.

After I got my gun back I found out that the gunsmith no longer works for Gander Mountain. He was pretty young and left to work elsewhere. Gander Mountain hired a new gun smith who was older and more experienced. He was able to fix my trigger and gun to make it right at no cost to me!

The Gun is a Remington Model 660 and it's in 222 caliber.

I had the second gun smith (Bob) glass bed the receiver and free float the barrel. The gun is a tack shooter now.

As to the Timmy trigger that would be fine if I used the gun a lot more than I do. I actually have only shot this gun a few times at rifle range at Sugar Ridge F&W area. It will show less than 1/2" moa easily with a Burris Full Field II rifle scope. I think it's 3 x 9 40 mm Objective scope.

Before I got geared up for hunting coyotes I had a heart attack and open heart surgery in March of 2009. So that sort of put a dent in my hunting.

I've pretty much recovered from the Heart attack now and an doing a lot better. I still don't have the energy that I use to have when I was younger and need to get more exercise. But I'm still wanting to go coyotes hunting. I've since gotten some more toy's to hunt with and have one more big item to buy before everything will be in place to actually go out and hunt some coyotes.

I want a new E caller and a program for my GPS that shows me who owns what land in the State of IN. I've got a plat map of Warrick County and that will help, but I need something that gives me the name of the land owners so that I can get permission to hunt some new private land. I'm convinced that will help me get more coyotes. The area's I'm hunting right now are way to over pressured by hunters.

My new rifle has a Giessel Trigger on it. It's a two stage trigger that I really like. It's got a total of 4.5 lbs pull with the first 2.5 lbs in the first stage and the last stage is only 2 lbs. It's a good trigger and very smooth.

Originally posted by Moose1am:
I recently took my rifle into a gunsmith for a trigger replacement. The triggers replacement is being paid for by Remington under a recall.

When I got my rifle back I tested it and found that it fired when I took the safety off and I was really pissed/scared.

I could not talk to the gunsmith when I picked up my rifle as he was not there at that time. I have had hard time getting hold of him on the phone due to his schedule and mine being different.

I also noticed that the new trigger was harder to pull. It was suppose to be a better trigger and much easier to pull than the old trigger.

I ended up taking the barrel off the stock and looking at how the barrel, stock, magazine and trigger guard went together. There was a screw that went though the stock. This screw was sitting against the front of the trigger and wearing off the glue that they put on the set screws at the factory. I could see where this brass screw was scratching the front part of the trigger mechanism. Now this is way up inside the gun.

I also noticed that my trigger guard (plastic) was not seating fully. It's held on by two screws. One screw on each end but nothing in the middle. And the plastic was sagging in the middle where the magazine's spring had push it downward over time.

I also noticed that at one time there were two washers that were used with these two screws. They were missing but I could see where they had been as there was washer imprints in the wood stock.

So I found some new washers and installed them were the old washers once were. This helped with one of the problems. It seems that the trigger was longer and larger than the old one and the bottom of the trigger was pushed against the trigger guard making it hard as **** to pull the trigger.

I got my dremel tool out and cut the end of the trigger down with a metal grinding stone.

Now the trigger works much better. The bottom of the trigger actually clears the top of the trigger guard and the trigger pull is much easier.

I measured the amount of force that it took to fire the gun and it was around 3 lbs. I used three different fish weighing scales. Two digital ones and one spring loaded "DE LIAR" scale.

I am going to call the gunsmith and ask him if he ever checked the rifle after he put the new trigger in.

I did try the rifle out one or two times at the store and it worked OK there. But when I got home the gun was really screwed up on further examination.

Moral of the story is check out your gun when you get it back from the gunsmith. Check it out thoroughly not just one or two times.

I still need to talk to the gunsmith and find out what's going on.

Right now I would be reluctant to take any more guns to him unless he can explain to me why my new trigger was so screwed up and why he didn't tell me about it.

I did talk to him on the phone before I picked up the gun and he told me that it was finished but that he was trying to figure out how to charge Remington for the work. He said that he would have that figured out by the next day. So two days later I went in to pick up the gun and he was not there. I had to get another store employee to get my gun for me and figure out how to work the computer to get the store to release my gun to me. That was a big pain in the butt too. I had to wait for 40 minutes and was told at first that I would have to come back later when the gun smith was there. That was unacceptable at the time so I insisted that someone get my gun for me. I could see the gun sitting on the shelf right behind the counter. And the paper work was attached to my rifle.

This happened at the new Gander Mountain Store in Evansville, IN.

I am just glad that I was able to get my gun to work after the new trigger was installed. But I feel that the gun smith should have checked the gun and told me that it was not working property before I picked it up. He never mentioned that anything was wrong when I talked to him on the phone.

Now: The main reason that Remington recalled these guns was because of a law suit against them back some years ago. The gun's original trigger/safety mechanism would not allow you to put the gun on safe if it was loaded and cocked. That caused it to go off on someone who shot someone else by accident.

Now I knew my gun had this problem but I never knew of the lawsuit or the recall until just last year.

Imagine my surprise when I got home and found that when I cocked my bolt and move the safety switch off safe and the gun fired!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Holly Cow!!!!!! This was not the outcome that I had expected.

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43984
12/30/2013 08:39 AM
12/30/2013 08:39 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Moose, glad to hear that your doing better. Sounds like the rifles turned out good.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43985
01/07/2014 05:42 PM
01/07/2014 05:42 PM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
I have had Bob do some work for me and I have always been happy. Hope he did a good job for you.

Re: New Remington Model 660 Trigger #43986
02/18/2014 05:41 PM
02/18/2014 05:41 PM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Bob is a good guy and did a good job for me.

Regards,

Moose1am

Moderated by  BowBo 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,662
Posts49,833
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 6 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance