Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline OP
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline OP
River Rat
D
Indiana
i have an area inside of a woods that is a circle with a diameter of 50 yards.......it has no trees in this spot! i have cleared the debris in it.....mainly has grasses growing in the area. I plan on planting clover in it! Here are the steps I plan on taking.

1. killing with roundup.......when should i do it and what do you guys recommend i buy? since its a small area i'm thinking just the pump w/ a spray nozzle from a hardware store.

2. sending in for soil test

3. I plan on then tilling it with a rototiller.....

4. spread lime and fertilizer

5. broadcast seed..........what can i use to increase soil contact.....i read where a guy rides over it with a 4 wheeler?

any advice/recommendations are appreciated........if i appear to not know what i'm talking about.......your pretty accurate!

thanks in advance

Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping is where it's @!!!!!
Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #399
01/13/2013 06:09 PM
01/13/2013 06:09 PM
IN
fullrut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
fullrut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
IN
Buy a generic 41%glysophate,Buccaneer or some other off brand of weedkiller, it all works the same as long as it is 41%. Don't pay for the Monsanto name. A pump up sprayer will be fine. Running over the seed with a fourwheeler works great, I used to do it all the time in my plots, lawn roller works good to. Biggest problem with a woods plot is in the fall the leaves choke it out. Soil test is a good idea and then figure out what you need. No need to buy clover in a sweet looking bag with a monster buck on it. Read the seedtag on the back of the bag and then buy and mix your own blend. Much cheaper and the deer could care less. Gotta warn you though...all this work might just bring you back down here to Little Bear taxidermy.

195 1/8, 162 4/8, 157 0/8, 154 0/8, 152 4/8, 152 1/8......
"LUCK IS CREATED by hardwork and preparation."
www.ANTLERTALK.COM
PROSTAFF FOR...Tenpoint, Hoyt, Summit, Scentlok, Wildlife Research Center, Lucky Buck, Rage, Hunter Safety System
Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #400
01/13/2013 06:35 PM
01/13/2013 06:35 PM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline OP
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline OP
River Rat
D
Indiana
Lol....thanks for the info fullrut!

Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #401
01/13/2013 06:47 PM
01/13/2013 06:47 PM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
I agree - don't buy the expensive stuff as it has a major mark up. I have a farmer friend where I can buy 1-2 gallons at about 20 bucks or take him out to lunch lol.

What Chris has said is right on. What I have found is the extra effort to make sure you have a good seed bed will be save you money and sweat later. If your seed bed is prepared well all you have to do for a good seed to soil contact is seed it right before a rain and that will work very well. Clover seed is very small and a good rain does the trick. Sometimes people plant it too deep. Also, if you are planting a seed that will regrow every year (perennial) make sure you maintian it by mowing when it get to high. This will keep fresh tender growth and help with weed control.

I would wait until it gets good and green then kill it, wait a bit and till it, wait some more until the seed bed grows again and then kill it again. Remember there will be millions of seed when you turn it over w/ a tiller. Patience at the front end and doing it right will save you money and time later.

Best times to plant clover in my opinion is in the late Summer and early Fall. Most of your Summer warm season grasses have stopped growing and in the Spring the clover will be first to pop up and will choke out some weeds.

I have my best plot in clover and chickory and the deer hammer it.

Good luck.

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #402
01/14/2013 04:42 AM
01/14/2013 04:42 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
I have opened areas up in the cedar thickets and woods edgesm Killed every thing with glyphos, and everything that came up by natural succession withthe downed trees every where was all that was needed to draw the deer in either for the new browse or bedding, worked well for me

Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #403
01/14/2013 05:34 AM
01/14/2013 05:34 AM
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
DP.,

Its a little extra work, but it pays off in the end. Since this is a new plot, you might want to kill it off in the spring after greenup. Till the plot well, and let it set over the summer. The summer rains will break the soil down, and level it out. This will make it really easy to till in the fall. That makes the seedbed easy to prep also. Kill it off again two weeks before tilling and planting, as the others have said, seed in the ground will germinate. If you do it in August, you will have a good stand by hunting season. That will really ehlp keep unwanted weeds out of your patch.

Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #404
01/14/2013 08:51 AM
01/14/2013 08:51 AM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline OP
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline OP
River Rat
D
Indiana
great stuff guys....thanks for all the suggestions....i will put them to work.....just hung a new big game 20 ft ladder on this spot.....looking forward to getting some hunts in on this spot! this is what it looks like right now!

[Linked Image]

Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #405
01/14/2013 08:56 AM
01/14/2013 08:56 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Are you wanting a plot for more warmer temps?? Then go clover or alfalfa based planting. Are you wanting something they will want "post frost" also?? Then go to soybeans or turnips. Post frost attraction to clover and alfalfa wanes considerably compared to soybeans and turnips.

I usually run soybeans and turnips on my plots.....easy to put in longer attraction period, excellent protein content......and a lot less maintenance.

If you do go clover/alfalfa base.....be sure to only mow 1/2 of plot at a time....alternating the 1/2 you mow. The highest protein content in the plant will be as the plant is regenerating from the damage it endured with the mower. By mowing 1/2 of plot at a time....you will ensure highest protein levels off your plot is available 100% of the time to the deer. Some miss this opportunity and advice.

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #406
01/14/2013 08:59 AM
01/14/2013 08:59 AM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline OP
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline OP
River Rat
D
Indiana
my son and i have been digging up some turnips to eat out of another plot......yum........fun times!

[Linked Image]

Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #407
01/14/2013 09:11 AM
01/14/2013 09:11 AM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline OP
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline OP
River Rat
D
Indiana
dew,

what time of year do you plant your beans? with this plot being in the woods, will it get enough sunlight for soybeans? what equipment do i need to plant the beans?

thanks

Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #408
01/14/2013 09:44 AM
01/14/2013 09:44 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by DawnPatrol:
dew,

what time of year do you plant your beans? with this plot being in the woods, will it get enough sunlight for soybeans? what equipment do i need to plant the beans?

thanks
I target the first two weeks in June to plant my beans. I use a no till drill.....but I have also seen very good bean plots using an ATV disc ......then broadcast the seed......and pulling an old mattress spring/light harrow/light roller over the area you just broadcasted. Just establishing good soil to seed contact on a bean can produce great results. A drill that puts them 1/2 to 1 inch deep is the superior method however.

Sun direction obviously will play a part too. If you get less than 4 hours of full sun on that plot, you will have a challenge planting beans......but from your pic.....it doesn't look like dense or tall timber you are up against.

One more thing.....I never plant "food plots".....I plant "protein plots". Putting in what I am trying to produce access to.....high protein access. Some may find this silly too......but I never hunt my plots for Bucks....there are much more efficient ways of killing them than food plots. My plots are designed to feed them what makes their head gear grow......and not to disturb them while they are doing it.

Don't believe the myth that old mature bucks become more difficult to hunt.....they actually become easier. With that being said....use your plot to help them grow what you want......and hunt them in areas they are most vulnerable on a daily basis......away from your plot.

Bottom line..... You'll get a lot of feedback on how to manage a plot based on how hunters like to hunt. Find something that fits YOUR method....and have fun wih it. I'm simply just sharing my method.....may not fit your style.

Have fun with that new dirt!!

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: food plot inside of woods....need advice #409
01/14/2013 02:16 PM
01/14/2013 02:16 PM
Mt. Pleasant, In.
ParkerBow Offline
Hoosier Hunter
ParkerBow  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Mt. Pleasant, In.
Originally posted by Yaz:
DP.,

Its a little extra work, but it pays off in the end. Since this is a new plot, you might want to kill it off in the spring after greenup. Till the plot well, and let it set over the summer. The summer rains will break the soil down, and level it out. This will make it really easy to till in the fall. That makes the seedbed easy to prep also. Kill it off again two weeks before tilling and planting, as the others have said, seed in the ground will germinate. If you do it in August, you will have a good stand by hunting season. That will really ehlp keep unwanted weeds out of your patch.
Great advise here by Yaz, I would also mention if your plot needs lime to lime it as early as you can so the lime has time to leach into the soil and be beneficial cause it takes lime time to get into the soil.

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,842
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance