Tipton County
F
familytradition Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
familytradition  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
F
Tipton County
I would like hear everyone's opinion on IDNR's success. In Hamilton and Tipton counties in the past year I have seen several mink, an otter, a bald eagle, several woodcock, and found a turkey carcass. I hear bobcat and badger populations are up. While all of these are great to see, my deer sightings are down, there are zero quail, hardly any rabbits, and no grouse or pheasants. How can they claim success when economically important animals are declining while non-game animals seem to be going fine. Without selling licenses, they will have no money. I'm a scientist by training and I am just not seeing a healthy ecosystem. I see water based species and mature timber species thriving while new growth species declining. I think they are failing Hoosiers. Thoughts?

Re: Wildlife #37472
03/24/2013 01:10 PM
03/24/2013 01:10 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I don't think the IDNR is failing at all.

Quail, rabbits, pheasants and even grouse - habitat is the key and the IDNR can do little if anything about it. Simply can't be the IDNR's fault.

Other species - the IDNR I believe has done a very good job promoting and reintroducing other species that once roamed Indiana and in doing so I believe have done an excellent job in that sense. But again habitat is the key and many of the species you speak to continue to have reasonably good habitat or habitat corridors that enable them to prosper and spread.

When we speak of deer, the issues becomes a little cloudy in my opinion. The deer herd is biologically sound as far as I know. There are plenty of deer and they are widespread throughout Indiana. I believe if you asked the average Hoosier if they believe the deer herd is fine, you'd get a resounding "yes". Maybe not for all hunters, but in the picture and within the scope of that which the IDNR is expected to do, I believe they are doing a fine job although I might not personally agree with everything they do.

As for the money, that's a problem, kind of. The sad reality in my opinion is that hunters want to simply pay a small fee and then want the "world" from the IDNR. Frankly, since the IDNR manages wildlife for all Indiana citizens, not just hunters and fisherman, there probably should be a subsidy from the general fund from the State but that isn't going to happen. The real issue is the business runs much of the world anymore and wildlife of all species across much of the US in under tremendous pressure because of loss of habitat and other environmental issues. So, I for one, believe the IDNR is doing a very good job even though there are many things I wish were done differently.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Wildlife #37473
03/24/2013 01:24 PM
03/24/2013 01:24 PM
Tipton County
F
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
F
Tipton County
If they don't find away to get landowners to vary the habitat, reintroduced animals won't make it either. That is why there are not any grouse. All mature woods in southern Indiana. I think that it needs to be an added goal. Plus the species that have been absent will put added pressures on the oringinal survivors.

Re: Wildlife #37474
03/24/2013 01:36 PM
03/24/2013 01:36 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
With tillable farmland going for what it is, corn and soybean prices what they are and the slowed but still general urban sprawl, all of which the IDNR really can't influence, things will likely get worse. Plus, the legislative push to allow landowners to drain wetlands and low lying areas will continue and will have a very negative affect over the long term on wildlife. Much of the mature hardwood issue on public lands also has little to do with the IDNR and is mostly legislative in nature.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Wildlife #37475
03/24/2013 02:10 PM
03/24/2013 02:10 PM
Tipton County
F
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
F
Tipton County
I agree with you. This is exactly where I was hoping to go with this. We have to stand up to those that abuse the land. Now what do we do about it? CRP type program, other incteives? I want my kids to have huntable numbers of game animals not just look at a few in some state park.

Re: Wildlife #37476
03/24/2013 02:47 PM
03/24/2013 02:47 PM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
The IDNR is doing a great job. And sadly there are numerous CRP Funding opportunities out there for all types of Wildlife benefits, That are not used The IDNR has funding available, The USFWS has money. The problem believe it or not is getting people to use it,
Here in Jefferson Co. We had a grant to get rid of invasive weeds. Not One landowner applied . People Go to your Co. SWCD offices and ask whats out there The monies there People dont use it The Training there people dont use what they learn I have been to 3 wildlife workshops and another class that has been every Tuesday on Wildlife management for the Private Landowner THIS MONTH The IDNR has participated in them all and Purdue Extention and the USFWS has been there also So I am giving them all an A+

Re: Wildlife #37477
03/24/2013 06:32 PM
03/24/2013 06:32 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by THROBAK:
The IDNR is doing a great job. And sadly there are numerous CRP Funding opportunities out there for all types of Wildlife benefits, That are not used The IDNR has funding available, The USFWS has money. The problem believe it or not is getting people to use it,
Here in Jefferson Co. We had a grant to get rid of invasive weeds. Not One landowner applied . People Go to your Co. SWCD offices and ask whats out there The monies there People dont use it The Training there people dont use what they learn I have been to 3 wildlife workshops and another class that has been every Tuesday on Wildlife management for the Private Landowner THIS MONTH The IDNR has participated in them all and Purdue Extention and the USFWS has been there also So I am giving them all an A+
GREAT points... cool

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: Wildlife #37478
03/27/2013 10:04 AM
03/27/2013 10:04 AM
Tipton County
F
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
F
Tipton County
So how do you get people use this money?

Re: Wildlife #37479
03/27/2013 02:13 PM
03/27/2013 02:13 PM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
One way is to spread the word as we are doing now on this Site and let people Know about the availability of the Programs that are there

Re: Wildlife #37480
03/27/2013 06:01 PM
03/27/2013 06:01 PM
Tipton County
F
Hoosier Hunter
Hoosier Hunter
F
Tipton County
I doubt we are reaching many nonhunters with this site. We have the same issues with land management as we do with water management.(I'm in the water field). Some programs are trying to accomplish the exact same things: planting grass along waterways or replacing undesirable invasives with beneficial natives. Most programs are failing to have much of an impact. Look at all the people that have emarald green grass cut short long water that then gripe about dirty lakes and geese. They cause their own problem. I am far from a tree hugger, but we have to get the average person thinking about land use. I try to do my part by teaching every kid I come across about these issues wether it is a field trip tour at work, youth football team, youth at church, or the neighbor kid.

Re: Wildlife #37481
03/28/2013 04:15 PM
03/28/2013 04:15 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Family, you're doing more that most.

Moderated by  jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,842
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 14 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance