09/18/2015 11:43 AM
09/18/2015 11:43 AM
indianapolis,in, usa
H
HatchetJack Offline OP
HatchetJack  Offline OP
H
indianapolis,in, usa
Come out next Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday in Indianapolis, Wabash or Huntingburg respectively to comment on the new DNR strategic forest plan.

http://www.in.gov/activecalendar_dn...ation_id=17274&type=&syndicate=syndicate

"State forests are managed for multiple uses and benefits, including hunting, fishing, camping, horseback riding, hiking, mushroom hunting and picnicking. Other benefits include timber production; conservation of air, soil and water resources; and forest aesthetics.

One way this strategic plan differs from previous plans is an emphasis on increasing and improving recreation opportunities on state forests. The plan is also seeking to support these activities with user fees, something DNR Forestry has done for many years on three properties but now intends to apply across the entire state forest system."

The 22 page plan:

http://www.in.gov/dnr/forestry/files/fo-State_Forest_Strategic_Plan_2015_2019.pdf

Jack

There's a reason I like dogs better'n people... .
Re: Strategic Forest Initiative #32005
09/21/2015 05:57 PM
09/21/2015 05:57 PM
indianapolis,in, usa
H
HatchetJack Offline OP
HatchetJack  Offline OP
H
indianapolis,in, usa
Pretty sad showing of sportsmen for this critical meeting. Listening to 70 or so tree huggers all evening makes the Colts game even more depressing.

Jack

Re: Strategic Forest Initiative #32006
09/23/2015 03:30 AM
09/23/2015 03:30 AM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
I plan on going to Hburg tonight. Will report back. Plenty to talk about, one of the biggest issues to me is the closing of Stagestop campground and Blue river access in the Harrison Crawford SF. I enjoy our public lands but it could be better.

Followed by Buzzards
Re: Strategic Forest Initiative #32007
09/24/2015 04:17 AM
09/24/2015 04:17 AM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
Went to the Huntingburg meeting last night. I own some classified forest land as well as enjoy the state and federal forests. They reviewed the forest plan and allow comments. I spoke on restoring several recreational opportunities in the Harrison Crawford SF. In particular, reopen Stagestop campground with minimal improvement, repair dam at Wyandotte lake and improve Blue river access by reopening Stagestop and fixing up the iron bridge ramp.

The single biggest issue I see is money. The state forestry dept lost about one fourth of their budget overnight in 2008/09 when a 100 year tax expired. That took away about $4 mil out of a $12 mil budget. Timber harvest is increasing on state forest lands and the plan is to cut 14 mil board feet per year and that the forest adds 24 mil bf per year in growth, or 60% of total harvestable timber. This is on about 150k total acreage. By comparison, the Hoosier NF caps it's harvest at 5.7 mil bf on 200k acres per the internet.

Lots of folks spoke up, wanting trees to grow old and fall down, no cutting at all. Some loggers were there to explain no use of trees wastes the resource. Others suggest limiting the cutting and horse trail riders generally don't like the logging it seems.

As with anything governmental, it looks like it's all about the money. There are currently 20 vacancies in the staff and they have lost 5 or 6 foresters to other states or the private sector in the last 18 mo. Sounds familiar, right? Very informative meeting on many levels and you get a different perspective on who all these state departments have to work with and try to satisfy.

Followed by Buzzards
Re: Strategic Forest Initiative #32008
09/24/2015 07:48 AM
09/24/2015 07:48 AM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
I should have said 60% of total annual growth not harvestable timber in my post above. Reread the forest plan and did not want to distort. I think the state is hitting our state owned forests a bit hard when compared to what I see on federal forest, which has been fairly aggressive in some areas. Appears they are using the state forests to make up some lost revenue from the loss of tax funds. The Indiana state fair also lost similar funding at the same time.

I am not opposed to some timber harvesting on state ground but I wonder if they would be cutting as much if not for the shortfall in funding. These employees do a good job w what they have just spread too thin. Have had hunting success in timber cuts and controlled burn areas on govt before so not against it but wonder about the impact and magnitude in future years under the current plan.

Followed by Buzzards
Re: Strategic Forest Initiative #32009
09/24/2015 07:51 AM
09/24/2015 07:51 AM
Terre Haute
sticksender Offline
Site Administrator
sticksender  Offline
Site Administrator
Hoosier Hunter
Terre Haute
Thanks for the report.

--------------------
Re: Strategic Forest Initiative #32010
09/24/2015 05:32 PM
09/24/2015 05:32 PM
indianapolis,in, usa
H
HatchetJack Offline OP
HatchetJack  Offline OP
H
indianapolis,in, usa
Basically the state forests age about 3% each year. What is proposed is logging about 1 1/2% of the total forest each year. The entire system will continue to age without increasing the harvest beyond the proposed limits. Seems everyone opposed to the plan lives in Bloomington or nearby.

Regarding the federal lands...many years ago they too harvested at an acceptable rate. The Hoosier National is currently being petitioned by the Ruffed Grouse Society to create early successional habitats they promised in their forest plan but have neglected for years.

https://www.ruffedgrousesociety.org/USFS%20petition

Jack

Re: Strategic Forest Initiative #32011
09/24/2015 07:30 PM
09/24/2015 07:30 PM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
Hope I didn't butcher the plan/report, hard to summarize a 20 page plan and interject opinion in a couple paragraphs. One thing you learn is they try to make all groups heard. Some opposition was just from neighbors dealing with the aesthetics of a large logging operation. Can't make every one happy.

You get an idea of how the money is generated and how different groups use the forest and that they expect a say in its use. I've really had good luck with game after logging and have no opposition to some level, just from a seat of the pants feel lately it seems like it is definitely increased. Heard the last grouse after logging and report stuff like that afterwards to HNF staff. They are very helpful to me w quads, exchange of new information and land acquisitions. If you have public ground near you get out and enjoy it, we all own it as taxpayers.

Followed by Buzzards

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, DNA, jbwhttail, johnc911 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,838
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance