07/13/2013 06:41 AM
07/13/2013 06:41 AM
indianapolis,in, usa
H
HatchetJack Offline OP
HatchetJack  Offline OP
H
indianapolis,in, usa
August 27th Natural Resources Study Committee, Pokagon State Park, Potawatomi Inn, 2:00 p.m.

August 28th Natural Resources Study Committee, Pokagon State Park, Potawatomi Inn,10:00 a.m

Tentative agenda items for August 27, 2:00 p.m., include:

1. Update on the Department of Natural Resources;
2. Update on boating issues;
3. Report on water resource management program; and
4. Overview of hunting weapons and ammunition caliber rules .

Tentative agenda items for August 28, 10:00 a.m., include:

1. Report from the Invasive Species Council;
2. Trail maintenance funding; and
3. Overview of the field trial permitting process .

There's a reason I like dogs better'n people... .
Re: Legislative Summer Study announced #31314
07/13/2013 02:14 PM
07/13/2013 02:14 PM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
Originally posted by HatchetJack:
August 27th Natural Resources Study Committee, Pokagon State Park, Potawatomi Inn, 2:00 p.m.

August 28th Natural Resources Study Committee, Pokagon State Park, Potawatomi Inn,10:00 a.m

Tentative agenda items for August 27, 2:00 p.m., include:

4. [b]Overview of hunting weapons and ammunition caliber rules
. [/b]
So what does this mean? Are they thinking about changing the types of guns used for all types of hunting or just reviewing the regulations?

Re: Legislative Summer Study announced #31315
07/13/2013 02:33 PM
07/13/2013 02:33 PM
indianapolis,in, usa
H
HatchetJack Offline OP
HatchetJack  Offline OP
H
indianapolis,in, usa
The way I read it, it means they will discuss the current weapons and calibers available under existing rules. If anyone decides they need more or less it will be up to the legislators to discuss and if needed propose something.

I expect that the IDNR would point out thru the NRC they already have the authority to change this rule if they so desire thus eliminating the intrusion by the Legislature.

It will likely end up more as an information presentation.

P.S. Usually one or two items will come out of summer study as recommended legislation. If they do come out with legislation it usually passes easily. Recent years' have had few if any recommended legislative issues come out.

Re: Legislative Summer Study announced #31316
07/13/2013 04:56 PM
07/13/2013 04:56 PM
Corydon
J
js2397 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
js2397  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Corydon
Thanks, I know you are always knowledgeable about the process.

Re: Legislative Summer Study announced #31317
08/22/2013 02:06 PM
08/22/2013 02:06 PM
indianapolis,in, usa
H
HatchetJack Offline OP
HatchetJack  Offline OP
H
indianapolis,in, usa
Anyone going???

Re: Legislative Summer Study announced #31318
08/23/2013 05:16 AM
08/23/2013 05:16 AM
owen county
G
gundude Offline
Watching Over You All
gundude  Offline
Watching Over You All
G
owen county
I'm not going to make the drive

Life is hard. Its even harder If your stupid!
John Wayne.
Re: Legislative Summer Study announced #31319
08/28/2013 06:13 PM
08/28/2013 06:13 PM
indianapolis,in, usa
H
HatchetJack Offline OP
HatchetJack  Offline OP
H
indianapolis,in, usa
Okay. I spent 2 days I'm not getting back listening to legislators fish around for ideas on upcoming legislation. Quick rundown of discussions:

1. DNR gave an update on past year and significant happenings ($18.5M less in license fees due to drought last year; large #s of ATV accidents this year mainly involving children; passage of HB1563; still some antimosity between crossbow hunters and long bow hunters).
2. Boating Enforcement issues - legislature has taken DNR to the woodshed regarding overzealous officers issuing citations.
3.Overview of legal firearms - Mark Reiter and I still don't know what they wanted to know. I guess they wanted to be sure you could squirrel hunt with an AR. Who knows?
4. Water Resources report - basically Indiana has adequete water supplies...for now.
5. Field trial issues - someone complained it was hard to get field trial permit. Turns out that some trialers were crossing out the dates and therefore using bogus permits. The issue has been resolved.
6. Invasive species - the Council is doing a good job of educating and informing the public.
7. Trail maintenance funds - representative Friend wants to tax all adult bicycles and dedicate those funds to maintaining the 3000 miles of trails in Indiana. They surely need some kind of funding but this idea won't likely pass. Anyone with an idea (Hike/Bike volunteer license; Hike/Bike license plate; etc.) please inform Rep. Friend.

HachetJack

P.S. Pokagon is a nice park but the rooms smell funny. Stay at the Ramada.
P.P.S. One last item of interest - someone mentioned the backcoutry area of Morgan-Monroe being logged and the chairman stopped the discussion. It is on the agenda for the next set of meetings at Spring Mill State Park on October 1 & 2. I'm sure DNR will get beat up again. I may have to crash at gundude's house.

Re: Legislative Summer Study announced #31320
08/29/2013 04:04 AM
08/29/2013 04:04 AM
owen county
G
gundude Offline
Watching Over You All
gundude  Offline
Watching Over You All
G
owen county
Rooms here cost a dollar...
Anybody else that wants to join in for the two day comedy tour just needs to let me know.. I've got rooms for 5..

Life is hard. Its even harder If your stupid!
John Wayne.
Re: Legislative Summer Study announced #31321
08/29/2013 04:47 AM
08/29/2013 04:47 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Well, I thought I'd at least acknowledge your post Jack by providing me own insanity!

1. DNR gave an update on past year and significant happenings ($18.5M less in license fees due to drought last year; large #s of ATV accidents this year mainly involving children; passage of HB1563; still some antimosity between crossbow hunters and long bow hunters).

Sadly, you can't fix "stupid" and that's what some adults are when they let kids have access to the ATVs.

"animosity", now that's a polite word to use for the ridiculousness of that situation.

2. Boating Enforcement issues - legislature has taken DNR to the woodshed regarding overzealous officers issuing citations.

Hmm, makes me wonder if the "well to do folks" don't like the rules applied to them! We all know what northeast side Indianapolis waterway that probably brought this whining to the meeting.

3.Overview of legal firearms - Mark Reiter and I still don't know what they wanted to know. I guess they wanted to be sure you could squirrel hunt with an AR. Who knows?

Most legislatures probably don't know how to use one!

4. Water Resources report - basically Indiana has adequete water supplies...for now.

Generally yes, but many more complaints coming from rural homes about well problems they say is linked to crop field watering. In 20 years, this will be a huge issue, with many lawsuits coming.

5. Field trial issues - someone complained it was hard to get field trial permit. Turns out that some trialers were crossing out the dates and therefore using bogus permits. The issue has been resolved.

Everyone wants to use public property without any requirement for permits and rules. Take their dogs and they'll follow the rules quick!

6. Invasive species - the Council is doing a good job of educating and informing the public.

Intriguing situation. Carp, snakes, bugs, ants. And no money, or will, to enforce and regulate from the legislative side. Sad.

7. Trail maintenance funds - representative Friend wants to tax all adult bicycles and dedicate those funds to maintaining the 3000 miles of trails in Indiana. They surely need some kind of funding but this idea won't likely pass. Anyone with an idea (Hike/Bike volunteer license; Hike/Bike license plate; etc.) please inform Rep. Friend.

Geez, I don't ever want to agree with our dear friend, Mr. Friend. However, I agree with him on this one. We keep spending tax dollars on building paved trails and then having to protect the riders from crime. Let the dang people who want and use these things pay for them.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, DNA, jbwhttail, johnc911 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,842
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance