10/01/2014 01:58 PM
Fort Carson, CO
SFC (R) B Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
SFC (R) B  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Fort Carson, CO
ALCON,
Howdy!! A few of you may recognize me (use to be SSG B...got promoted smile ). I have been off to places and doing things the last few years including frequenting a more western oriented site (as it looks like I am settled here in CO). Well, I have been hankering to talk to Hoosiers on a regular basis and am back. A good way to start is to tell everyone that I just got back from my first Prongy hunt and I was lucky enough to harvest a doe at 390yds smile It was a doe only RFW tag through the draw. I will post some pics when I get home to liven things up. I have a 2nd season buck tag in GMU 25/26 and another RFW tag for a Cow at the same ranch for the week before Thanksgiving. Great to be back!!

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Re: Back from the beyond #27625
10/01/2014 02:18 PM
10/01/2014 02:18 PM
Nashville, IN
W
whitetaildave24 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
whitetaildave24  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Nashville, IN
Congrats on the antelope and a 390 yard shot is pretty impressive. Glad to see you back, congrats on the promotion, and as always thanks for your service.

Re: Back from the beyond #27626
10/01/2014 04:21 PM
10/01/2014 04:21 PM
Fort Carson, CO
SFC (R) B Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
SFC (R) B  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Fort Carson, CO
Here we go with some pics

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." George Orwell
Re: Back from the beyond #27627
10/01/2014 04:22 PM
10/01/2014 04:22 PM
Fort Carson, CO
SFC (R) B Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
SFC (R) B  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Fort Carson, CO
Here is my writeup from the other forum...too lazy to rewrite smile

Well, I pulled a RFW tag for a doe here in CO at a ranch outside of Craig. The ranch is administered by Elkhorn Outfitters and Dick Dodds. They were nice and accomodating about giving a heads up on where to look on the ranch for antelope at check in. At check in I was there at the same time as a couple of guys from Vail and we talked as the staff checked us in we were asked which section of the ranch each of us wanted to try and when these guys (who had hunted the ranch before) told Dick they also invited me to share camp with them. They were in a pop-up and I was sleeping solo in my 2 man Jack Wolfskin Chinook. We left the outfitters and headed to a piece of public land just outside the ranch where these guys knew of a great little campsite. Once there we setup our respective quarters and then proceded to share dinner, discussed our strategy for the opener (Saturday), had a few adult beverages courtesy of the extensive bar they travel with and listened to the Blues channel on Sirius radi until time for bed. We woked just left just before sunrise as we were right at the ranch boundary. We were seeing prongys right from the get go but wanted to travel to the interior of the ranch to get away from road hunting per se. We got off of the dirt county road and onto the ranch "roads". We spent all morning trying stalks in this wide open country and getting fairly close a couple of times. Dick, the shooter of the other two guys, took a long shot at a doe but missed high and that, along with the temps getting close to 85 signaled it was time for lunch. We pulled into camp around 1-1:30 and after eating planned to take cat naps before heading back out later in the afternoon. 4 rolls around and we mount up in our rigs and head back out looking for trouble. About that time the front that had been moving in all morning started cutting lose several miles to the north of us. We were getting the noise but no rain. A few miles in I spotted a small herd (about 8) on a hill side +- a mile off the road. I tried to signal the guys to pull over but it took a couple of miles before they saw me. Once they pulled over and I told them what I had seen we headed back. Not only were these prongys mostly does but their position was good for a stalk. Between where we parked and the prongys were two small ridges that we could use for cover as we dropped below their sight line right off the road. At the first ridge we snuck up and ranged them at 560....to strong for either of us. So we back out, down into a creek bed, around to the south a couple of hundred meters and then back up the next ridge. This one ranged 379 and it was time for Dick to give it a shot. He settled in on his bipod and squeezed off one and then another...missed way low and the antelope had no idea what was going on. I then pulled my rifle onto the shooting sticks, settled on about my 400 yard mark on the BDC of my new Vortex and squeezed. She went down and never moved. I was a little forward and hit her in the neck just forward of her shoulder but it was an instant kill. We quartered her out and beat feet for the truck as the storm got closer. All was good. Spent the evening in the camper eating bison chili, telling stories and drinking some more. This morning I packed up and came home a much richer man with two new friends and an antelope

Re: Back from the beyond #27628
10/01/2014 07:15 PM
10/01/2014 07:15 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Nice write up and great story. congrats

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Back from the beyond #27629
10/02/2014 08:29 PM
10/02/2014 08:29 PM
Fort Carson, CO
SFC (R) B Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
SFC (R) B  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Fort Carson, CO
Here are some pics from deer/elk camp the last couple of years....

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Back from the beyond #27630
10/03/2014 03:18 AM
10/03/2014 03:18 AM
A
antiwheeze Offline
Hoosier Hunter
antiwheeze  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
A
Great story!
I noticed your sled in the pics. Its become essential to my hunting and its hand around the yard too.
Thanks again for your service.

Treat me like I'm your best friend and it may happen
Re: Back from the beyond #27631
10/11/2014 07:45 PM
10/11/2014 07:45 PM
Fort Carson, CO
SFC (R) B Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
SFC (R) B  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Fort Carson, CO
I can't wait to try the sled out.....hopefully next week.

Moderated by  bean, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,841
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance