F
familytradition Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
familytradition  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
F
Tipton County
[Linked Image]

I have been reading up on how start kids hunting young. A lot of people suggest starting with first person scope view hunting games. I have not played video games since college and was wondering which games out right now would allow you to pick up a target in a scope? After they can shoot in the game, switch to a .22 and once they become good at that take them hunting, a larger gun's kick won't be felt when the excitement of seeing a deer kicks in. My son is 4 and I'm not sure when I'll start on this path, but probably sooner than later. I plan on taking him out with me squirrel hunting this year. Any suggestions or concerns with any of this. When could he realistically pass hunter's education?

Re: Starting kids young #27320
08/04/2014 04:50 AM
08/04/2014 04:50 AM
Mooresville,in.usa
M
maddogmech Offline
Hoosier Hunter
maddogmech  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
M
Mooresville,in.usa
PATIENT-PATIENT-PATIENT !!!!! Keep your outings short at first, they loose there attention quick. Keep it informative,fun. Enjoy every moment. You will do great. Keep us posted. Mine are grown and out on there own now. The best time of my life..

Re: Starting kids young #27321
08/04/2014 05:43 AM
08/04/2014 05:43 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
keep it fun and when he is ready to go, go.

Squirrel hunting will be good. Just keep it fun for him, bring snacks, something to play with when he gets bored.

Age 10 is about right for hunter ed. My oldest had 3 apprentice licenses then passed the hunter ed test at age 10. It worked out very well as he was able to get into the content of the class and did well.

Re: Starting kids young #27322
08/04/2014 06:41 AM
08/04/2014 06:41 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
You've got to make it comfortable for them when they are that young. If the bugs are bad, he may hate and not want to go again. I agree with the short trip idealism and the intent being fun. Find some snails, pick some "flowers" for mom and let him watch the squirrels for a while before taking the shot. I agree with Justin on the age 10'ish timeframe. I'd sure get him out in a blind next year during turkey season, maybe even this year during deer season when it's not too cold.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Starting kids young #27323
08/04/2014 08:05 AM
08/04/2014 08:05 AM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
Understand that youwl need to hunt differently. Take kids with you when scouting, putting up stands, etc. they want to be with you. Make sure you keep your temper in check as you will be on their time table not yours. All good advice above.

My kids are getting older and I remember those days. Be patient and you they will let you know how hard to push them.

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: Starting kids young #27324
08/04/2014 09:07 AM
08/04/2014 09:07 AM
B
Bowmadness Offline
Bowmadness  Offline
B
I have a 4 and a 6 yr. old and am in the same boat. To me, and I'm not saying you can't do both, but introducing the video games first seems like a backward approach to me. My older nephews have those games and they are more about "killing" and not "hunting". I took my then 3 yr. old last year in a blind. We focused on being still and watching the woods "wake up" after about 20 min. He had a blast seeing the squirrels and birds come close. He lasted about an hour and was able to see a couple does. I didn't take a bow as I don't personally think it's appropriate for a kid that young to see kill shots as it may desensitize him and I'd like for him to develop a respect for the life that is took. Just my two cents. Why didn't I take my 6 yr old? He couldn't have cared less last year and told me he didn't want sit still that long. This year he is totally intent on going.

Re: Starting kids young #27325
08/04/2014 09:49 AM
08/04/2014 09:49 AM
Tipton County
F
familytradition Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
familytradition  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
F
Tipton County
My dad and grandfather started me very young. I had BB gun at probably 4 or 5. I was squirrel and rabbit hunting with a 410 by the time I was 6. My hunter's ed was getting smacked in the back of head when I made a mistake with my toy musket. I fall just short of being required to take hunter's ed and I have never taken it. Keep waiting to take it with some kid that needs a ride. I deer hunted under my grandfather's stand once and the next time he left me in the stand by myself and told me not to tell my mom. I had probably ten deer come out in the field one night and I emptied my gun on them; looking back they were probably 300 yards away. They didn't even care that I was shooting at them. I killed my first deer when I was 8 or 9. I learned by listening to others and learning the woods. I spent probably 60 days or more every year hunting when I was in school. My grandfather would pull up honk his horn and I would leave class to go hunting or fishing. I don't think my son will get to learn the way I did. The only reason I am tempted to get him going now is so he will have memories hunting with my grandfather. He will have memories of going to the "deer woods" as he calls it and that may have to suffice. We take him and my 2 year old daughter out in woods now when we check cameras, mow, or cut shooting lanes.

Re: Starting kids young #27326
08/05/2014 04:23 AM
08/05/2014 04:23 AM
Greenwood, Indiana
T
traditionalarcher17 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
traditionalarcher17  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
I started taking my son out with me to the woods as soon as he could walk. We'd pick mushrooms, raspberries, black berries and just walk around. He loved finding different tracks and asking what they were. By 5 he was sitting in turkey blind with me and at the base of trees with me on ridge tops while deer hunting. He was usually good for 2 hours. Luckily the first trip to turkey blind we weren't in it more than 45 min and we were done. He was hooked after he saw that Tom put on a show. He took his first turkey and deer at 6. He's now 7 with two turkeys under his belt and all I am hearing right now is when does deer season start. I think he will be surprised when I tell him squirrel season starts in a few short weeks, I think he's forgotten that starts before deer season. Next year I will let him take the hunters ed course. I think he could pass it now, he's a quick learner and retains info like a sponge. Good luck everything you've ever done in the woods will be a distant second memory once you see your child's firsts. Good luck to you.

Moderated by  bean 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,838
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 9 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance