10/08/2013 08:40 AM
10/08/2013 08:40 AM
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
hornharvester Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
What brand of gloves do you use for trapping? Is it a must to wear rubber gloves when setting traps? Im talking mainly coyotes. h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: Gloves? #22083
10/08/2013 09:11 AM
10/08/2013 09:11 AM
Columbus, In
P
psearchery Offline
psearchery  Offline
P
Columbus, In
i learnt from last year that wearing gloves didnt work for me. if a trap closes on you its harder to get out. but i have seen guys just wear plastic scrub gloves. as far as your scent i mean its there anyways so dont see how handling the trap makes a difference.

billy cowan
Re: Gloves? #22084
10/08/2013 09:29 AM
10/08/2013 09:29 AM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
I have the Trapper Supply coyote video and Charlie just wears leather gloves while digging and setting the traps then takes them off to put on bait/lure.

Figure he knows what he is doing, so that is what I am going to do as well. Just use gloves for trapping and away from things other than that.

I can see where it would help when it gets cold and your hands touch a cold trap, etc...

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: Gloves? #22085
10/08/2013 10:05 AM
10/08/2013 10:05 AM
Columbus, In
P
psearchery Offline
psearchery  Offline
P
Columbus, In
bean charlie for sure knows what he is doing and that video is the best learning device there is. thats how i learnt last year and did ok for our first year. my biggest advice is keep it simple at first and if it doesnt work dont give up on it.

billy cowan
Re: Gloves? #22086
10/08/2013 11:36 AM
10/08/2013 11:36 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
I wear the cheapo leather or jersey gloves. I have a few pair and wash them in unscented soap when they get dirty.

These animals encounter human scent all the time, I do prefer to wear gloves but don't worry about it too much.

Originally posted by hornharvester:
What brand of gloves do you use for trapping? Is it a must to wear rubber gloves when setting traps? Im talking mainly coyotes. h.h.

Re: Gloves? #22087
10/08/2013 04:02 PM
10/08/2013 04:02 PM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
jerseys or the white cotton. clean ones for setting.

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: Gloves? #22088
10/08/2013 04:12 PM
10/08/2013 04:12 PM
Columbus, In
P
psearchery Offline
psearchery  Offline
P
Columbus, In
dave where you been? been waiting for you and yaz to get fired up in the trapping forum

billy cowan
Re: Gloves? #22089
10/08/2013 04:50 PM
10/08/2013 04:50 PM
Mt. Pleasant, In.
ParkerBow Offline
Hoosier Hunter
ParkerBow  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Mt. Pleasant, In.
I wear the gloves that are dipped in the rubber nitril when digging my trap beds and holes. I then take them off when putting in my lure.I just do not want to get bait or lure on my gloves as i might get some on the next trap I set and then they will dig it up. There is no wrong or right way in doing it. You just have to be confident in your set-up and run with it. whatever works for you go with that. Most trappers I have seen wear rubber or leather gloves setting the trap and then take them off when luring or baiting.

Re: Gloves? #22090
10/08/2013 05:46 PM
10/08/2013 05:46 PM
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
If you don't think a coyote can't smell your bare hands on a trap under ground, you better think again. You'll catch young coyotes, and coyotes that have not been exposed to traps and sets once in a while. BUT, if you try that with experienced coyotes, you'll have dug, and thrown traps. PSE, If I remember right, you commented how the coyotes would circle your sets, and you had some thrown and dug up. They likely SMELLED you. Yes, they do smell human scent all the time. But, when they work a set, most don't just come running in and step on the trap. They come in with their noses on high alert, and on the ground. Also, the time of year makes a difference in how much you can get away with as far as odor goes. Earlier in the season, you have to be more cautious. When it gets late, and the ground is freezing, and thawing, scent is not as important. I want to catch EVERY coyote the very first time he/she comes on a set. You do not want educate one. If you educate one, it will also educate another. It doesn't always happen that way for me, but I try. I make every effort to leave absolutely no indication I was there. Even wiping out foot prints in the snow or dirt. They do know what a human print looks like because they have smelled them in the past and associate the print with human odor. Yes, I do believe they are that smart.

I use a kneeling pad of 2'x'2' rubber roofing to kneel on while I'm making the set to keep any odor off the ground.

Gloves are a must. It doesn't matter. Leather, rubber, or even cotton jerseys will work as long as they are clean and scent free.

Do NOT carry scents and lures with any of your tools, traps, or gloves. I keep mine in a zip lock bags separate from all of that to keep them from contaminating everything else.

I treat a coyote set like I'm trying to kill a big buck as far as scent control. Overkill??? Maybe. But I tend to catch most every coyote in the area every year with very few sets each year. I don't have time to make a lot of sets everywhere in the neighborhood. So, I make the most out of the ones I do set.

Re: Gloves? #22091
10/08/2013 06:12 PM
10/08/2013 06:12 PM
Columbus, In
P
psearchery Offline
psearchery  Offline
P
Columbus, In
i will try and be more scent cautious this year and see if the results are different. last year was my first year so no i didnt know everything there was to know.

billy cowan
Re: Gloves? #22092
10/09/2013 04:32 AM
10/09/2013 04:32 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Lots of good advice there.

A lot of what is written and in DVD's about coyotes is from guys in the west running long trap lines, catching the young, dumb, and stupid coyotes. They educate some and then move on to new ground and new coyotes. Most of us don't have this luxury.

Most of us are trapping smaller properties, deer leases, our own property, etc. We want to catch as many as possible on a smaller sized property.

We need to be more cautious about scent and technique and make a higher per set catch like Yaz is talking about.

I also prefer the biggest traps legally allowed.

I use duke #4, 4 coiled offset traps with a 6.5 inch spread. With a wire pan cover the whole trap diameter is a kill area. This allows me much more kill area that a small 1.75 trap does.

I am like Yaz, I want to be killing every coyote that visits my set so I try to do all I can to stack the odds in my favor.

I can't wait to get some steel in the ground on 10/15!

Originally posted by Yaz:
If you don't think a coyote can't smell your bare hands on a trap under ground, you better think again. You'll catch young coyotes, and coyotes that have not been exposed to traps and sets once in a while. BUT, if you try that with experienced coyotes, you'll have dug, and thrown traps. PSE, If I remember right, you commented how the coyotes would circle your sets, and you had some thrown and dug up. They likely SMELLED you. Yes, they do smell human scent all the time. But, when they work a set, most don't just come running in and step on the trap. They come in with their noses on high alert, and on the ground. Also, the time of year makes a difference in how much you can get away with as far as odor goes. Earlier in the season, you have to be more cautious. When it gets late, and the ground is freezing, and thawing, scent is not as important. I want to catch EVERY coyote the very first time he/she comes on a set. You do not want educate one. If you educate one, it will also educate another. It doesn't always happen that way for me, but I try. I make every effort to leave absolutely no indication I was there. Even wiping out foot prints in the snow or dirt. They do know what a human print looks like because they have smelled them in the past and associate the print with human odor. Yes, I do believe they are that smart.

I use a kneeling pad of 2'x'2' rubber roofing to kneel on while I'm making the set to keep any odor off the ground.

Gloves are a must. It doesn't matter. Leather, rubber, or even cotton jerseys will work as long as they are clean and scent free.

Do NOT carry scents and lures with any of your tools, traps, or gloves. I keep mine in a zip lock bags separate from all of that to keep them from contaminating everything else.

I treat a coyote set like I'm trying to kill a big buck as far as scent control. Overkill??? Maybe. But I tend to catch most every coyote in the area every year with very few sets each year. I don't have time to make a lot of sets everywhere in the neighborhood. So, I make the most out of the ones I do set.

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, LonniePhillips 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,842
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 16 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance