01/11/2013 04:12 PM
01/11/2013 04:12 PM
IN
fullrut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
fullrut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
IN
Any attorneys on here? Would love to know the consequences?

195 1/8, 162 4/8, 157 0/8, 154 0/8, 152 4/8, 152 1/8......
"LUCK IS CREATED by hardwork and preparation."
www.ANTLERTALK.COM
PROSTAFF FOR...Tenpoint, Hoyt, Summit, Scentlok, Wildlife Research Center, Lucky Buck, Rage, Hunter Safety System
Re: Deer numbers and "increased opportunity" #213
01/12/2013 09:01 AM
01/12/2013 09:01 AM
So. Indiana
J
JoshS Offline
Hoosier Hunter
JoshS  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
So. Indiana
Originally posted by jbwhttail:

We need to here more from those who are leasing.
I lease, as buying the size of property I want to hunt is currently unattainable. Leasing is great for me, yet I understand how it can impact others (I was on that side of the fence several times through the years).

I lease for two basic reasons:
1. I don't have to share my hunting grounds with anyone else.
2. I can manage the "herd" to what I want.

Do those reasons make me a bad person? Don't know, don't care. The fact remains that if the previous hunters hadn't trashed the landowner's property, I wouldn't be in the position I am today.

Re: Deer numbers and "increased opportunity" #214
01/12/2013 09:19 AM
01/12/2013 09:19 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Ive "leased" the property I hunt on for 17 years...why, cause of IDIOTS who should not have been on the place, they are now long gone...it was way over hunted and I wanted to have a place that I could do food plots and not have some dipwad walkin on me at best light...I got sick and tired of having to drive 80 miles round trip to hunt...now I drive only 14 round trip...Now the property is hunted properly, and there is more food for the deer(even though the numbers are down). I am friends with the farmer and his family...they still duck hunt a small portion but I now control the whole 300 acres....I take care of the place and watch for trespassers and limit the intrusions...the property is better for it

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: Deer numbers and "increased opportunity" #215
01/12/2013 01:24 PM
01/12/2013 01:24 PM
So. Indiana
J
JoshS Offline
Hoosier Hunter
JoshS  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
So. Indiana
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
I take care of the place and watch for trespassers and limit the intrusions...the property is better for it
I think that is the biggest bonus for the me and the landowner. He no longer has to deal with the trespassers or the constant calls from people asking to hunt his ground. Everything is referred to me.

Re: Deer numbers and "increased opportunity" #216
01/12/2013 02:38 PM
01/12/2013 02:38 PM
Kendallville, IN USA
solohunter Offline
Hoosier Hunter
solohunter  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Kendallville, IN USA
Originally posted by JoshS:
Originally posted by jbwhttail:
[b]
We need to here more from those who are leasing.
I lease, as buying the size of property I want to hunt is currently unattainable. Leasing is great for me, yet I understand how it can impact others (I was on that side of the fence several times through the years).

I lease for two basic reasons:
1. I don't have to share my hunting grounds with anyone else.
2. I can manage the "herd" to what I want.

Do those reasons make me a bad person? Don't know, don't care. The fact remains that if the previous hunters hadn't trashed the landowner's property, I wouldn't be in the position I am today. [/b]
Nothing wrong with leasing whatsoever, it can be a win/win situation.

Yep
Re: Deer numbers and "increased opportunity" #217
01/12/2013 03:49 PM
01/12/2013 03:49 PM
Camby
C
Cody.Query Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Cody.Query  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
C
Camby
Originally posted by THROBAK:
The contracts are not forever but an individual that has leased from base camp can never go back to the landowner for hunting rights after the lease is up
So have a buddy do it and he can invite you smile

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query
Re: Deer numbers and "increased opportunity" #218
01/12/2013 07:15 PM
01/12/2013 07:15 PM
owen county
G
gundude Offline
Watching Over You All
gundude  Offline
Watching Over You All
G
owen county
What solo said

Life is hard. Its even harder If your stupid!
John Wayne.
Re: Deer numbers and "increased opportunity" #219
01/13/2013 12:59 PM
01/13/2013 12:59 PM
Cass County
S
Steiny Offline
Steiny  Offline
S
Cass County
I have leased through Basecamp and another agency, and currently have a nice lease in southern, IL with a couple buddies. We love the deal, exclusive hunting rights on a great property, all to ourselves in a good area. Cost per man runs less than a cheap five day semi-guided bow hunt, and we can go when we want, all season, plus scout and set stands, plus turkey hunt or mushroom hunt. On our present lease, we've never met nor seen the owner which is a large corporate type farm.

The contracts through these leasing agencies state that you can't go direct to the landowner and "back door" them and cut them out of their fee. Lease companies have costs to cover and they go to the work of locating these opportunities, so I don't mind them taking their cut. And frankly it would be very rude and unethical to pull a stunt like that. If you want a lease without the leasing agent, get out and find them yourself. I don't have time to do that.

I also own a nice farm set up for hunting that I share with several family members and friends. Sorry, but not much room for anyone else without overhunting and over harvesting.

A much worse problem than leasing in my opinion is habitat loss due to clean row crop farming practices ($8,00 corn) and urban sprawl. There are a whole lot less places to hunt that there were 20-30 years ago. I saw this coming, so bought ground to set up long term for hunting.

You can get into a lease pretty economically. Many of those that gripe about lease costs spend as much annually on tobacco, booze, un-needed toys and other luxuries. Hunting is not as high on their priority list.

This system won't be changing anytime soon. Still some good free hunting to be had for a few, but less everyday.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,842
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance