Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
In the beginning stages of looking at getting a beagle or two this Spring. I used to own a really good English Setter years ago and I miss watching the dogs work. There are just no birds around here to train or work with. I know I could go out west but that gets a bit spicy.

About 15 years ago I had access to 3 really good working beagles and could run them anytime I wanted. The owner trusted me enough to let me use them whenever he wasn't. Looking back, I really miss that part of hunting and am looking to get back into it. My passion is bowhunting (and fishing) but I keep coming back to the dogs. I have decent places to run them and will triple that AFTER deer season is over so that is not an issue.

My situation is that:

1. The dogs will be outside in a kennel. Already full w/ kids, choco lab and the wife's princess Persians. Any ideas on a good system would be appreciated. The dogs I used years ago were kept in outside kennels up off the ground and it seem they were happy and healthy.

2. Looking for a medium speed kind of dog. I have no time or desire to do any trial competitions. Just want a good line that has a good hunting desire. Any idea's on the cost of a good pup? I know you get what you pay for.

3. Do you guys use pens to introduce pups to rabbis? I understand that there may be some around where the dog is kept for a few weeks and is introduced. It is an option but really would like to do it myself.

4. What equipment is needed? Collars? leads? Beagle specific stuff?

Thanks and more to come I'm sure.

Brian

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: Let's talk beagles. #20232
02/05/2014 02:15 PM
02/05/2014 02:15 PM
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
Bean,

Picture of my kennel built on concrete with pup pens on the end. Runs are 4x8 with houses on the outside of the wire. Easy to clean up and wash out.

[Linked Image]

Picture was taken in Rhinelander, Wisc in March of 99. My friend is on the left and me on the right. I have 3 of my 6 dogs and he had his three. We ran snowshoes for a week in 3-4 ft of snow. We used shoes but the dogs could run on top of the snow which was icy and hard. I had to use Tuff Pad on their feet because the ice cuts the back of their pads. That is one of many trips Ive made over the years to run snowshoes which is a blast if you like to hear the hounds.

[Linked Image]

Let me think on it for a couple days but I might be getting out of the dog business because of my health and if I do and you are interested I might just give you dogs ready to go. h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, varmint101 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,842
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 21 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance