Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Why do fishermen not respect the waterfowl hunters out at Bluegrass Fish and Wildlife Area?

Recently a man was given a ticket by IDNR Conservation officers for illegally fishing on Bluegrass pit while hunters were trying to hunt water fowl out there.

Do they not care or do they not realize that human activity on these waters will prevent the waterfowl from using these waters even if the hunters are not out there at that time?

If the IDNR says stay out they mean stay out.

The fine for illegally fishing on these F&W area is pretty stiff. I heard it runs from $275 to $350. That's just the fine. You may also lose your fishing gear which could include the boat/motor which could be seized as evidence.

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19891
12/29/2016 11:01 AM
12/29/2016 11:01 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
It goes both ways you should be on the Ohio In Duck Season
And be drifting and Boom Boom Boom they think the river is for them and them alone I've seen some crazy stuff

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19892
12/29/2016 06:09 PM
12/29/2016 06:09 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
I suppose since they figure they had to buy a license, then they should have the right to fish...

Guess I could ask though... Is there a sign posted that a blind person could read stating that lake is closed off for fishing during hunting season?... I know some of the ponds at Crosley F&W that are closed to fishing during the waterfowl nesting season... After they hatch, you may go back and fish...

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19893
12/30/2016 11:03 AM
12/30/2016 11:03 AM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Originally posted by Bryan78:
I suppose since they figure they had to buy a license, then they should have the right to fish...

Guess I could ask though... Is there a sign posted that a blind person could read stating that lake is closed off for fishing during hunting season?... I know some of the ponds at Crosley F&W that are closed to fishing during the waterfowl nesting season... After they hatch, you may go back and fish...
Yes Bryan there are signs saying that it's off limits to fishing at every launch ramp and at the main sign in area of the main parking lot for the big pit.

The irony of this is that the guy who got the ticket is a friend and he is getting razzed hard by all his friends for his ticket. He knew better and even posted that he knew better but tried to sneak into get a few hours of fishing even though he new it was off limits. I guess he thought that he would not get caught. He just loves to fish and fishes all the time winter, spring, summer and fall rain or shine. He's one fishing machine. Now he's fishing other places. Newton Lake over in Illinois is open and he goes there.
I also love to fish for crappie and winter time is when the crappie all school up in really big schools. So if you can find the deep water you can find the crappie. Getting them to bite is something else.

I didn't like being kicked off the lakes either when they started doing that. But I understand the reason as I also duck hunted in the past.

It's akin to finding a good fishing spot and then having ten kayakers paddling though your fishing spot and scaring the fish away.

One waterfowl hunter told a story on another web site about a guy in a Nitro Bass Boat out at Bluegrass fishing right out in front of the duck hunters at 9 am and drinking beer and casting their plugs at the duck decoys in the hunters spread. Now that takes a lot of gall. Plus they said that the fishermen were laughing at the duck hunters in their camo gear. Now that's just not right no matter how you look at it.

I myself stopped going fishing or hunting out at Bluegrass. It's just got too many people fighting for space out there for my comfort. Public hunting is all a lot of people have as they don't have access to private land.

I went out to Bluegrass last week during one of the waterfowl hunting days and saw a few guys were hunting. Some were on Bluegrass Pit and another group was setup on Otter Pit. I could see the decoys in the water at Otter Pit but didn't see where the guys at Bluegrass were hunting. I didn't want to get too close anyway.
IMHO the area around Bluegrass has way too much human activity to be attractive for a lot of ducks. Yea you see some ducks out there but not in large numbers from what I can see. Now there are a lot of Canada Geese out there in the sanctuary area IE LOON PIt.

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19894
12/30/2016 12:34 PM
12/30/2016 12:34 PM
N.W.Ind.
O
oldman1949 Offline
oldman1949  Offline
O
N.W.Ind.
The greatest problem with Public Anything is the part that says "Public" .

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19895
12/30/2016 12:41 PM
12/30/2016 12:41 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Originally posted by Moose1am:
Yes Bryan there are signs saying that it's off limits to fishing at every launch ramp and at the main sign in area of the main parking lot for the big pit.

The irony of this is that the guy who got the ticket is a friend and he is getting razzed hard by all his friends for his ticket. He knew better and even posted that he knew better but tried to sneak into get a few hours of fishing even though he new it was off limits. I guess he thought that he would not get caught. He just loves to fish and fishes all the time winter, spring, summer and fall rain or shine. He's one fishing machine. Now he's fishing other places. Newton Lake over in Illinois is open and he goes there.
I also love to fish for crappie and winter time is when the crappie all school up in really big schools. So if you can find the deep water you can find the crappie. Getting them to bite is something else.

I didn't like being kicked off the lakes either when they started doing that. But I understand the reason as I also duck hunted in the past.

It's akin to finding a good fishing spot and then having ten kayakers paddling though your fishing spot and scaring the fish away.

One waterfowl hunter told a story on another web site about a guy in a Nitro Bass Boat out at Bluegrass fishing right out in front of the duck hunters at 9 am and drinking beer and casting their plugs at the duck decoys in the hunters spread. Now that takes a lot of gall. Plus they said that the fishermen were laughing at the duck hunters in their camo gear. Now that's just not right no matter how you look at it.

I myself stopped going fishing or hunting out at Bluegrass. It's just got too many people fighting for space out there for my comfort. Public hunting is all a lot of people have as they don't have access to private land.

I went out to Bluegrass last week during one of the waterfowl hunting days and saw a few guys were hunting. Some were on Bluegrass Pit and another group was setup on Otter Pit. I could see the decoys in the water at Otter Pit but didn't see where the guys at Bluegrass were hunting. I didn't want to get too close anyway.
IMHO the area around Bluegrass has way too much human activity to be attractive for a lot of ducks. Yea you see some ducks out there but not in large numbers from what I can see. Now there are a lot of Canada Geese out there in the sanctuary area IE LOON PIt.
Well then I do not feel sorry for your friend and he got what he deserved... Guess he found out the hard way that the rules apply to him as well...

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19896
12/30/2016 12:42 PM
12/30/2016 12:42 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Originally posted by oldman1949:
The greatest problem with Public Anything is the part that says "Public" .
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT!!!!

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19897
01/01/2017 02:52 AM
01/01/2017 02:52 AM
Somewhere in Hancock County
J
johnc911 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
johnc911  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Somewhere in Hancock County
Happened to me a few years ago. Took my daughter to Province Pond for one of her first hunts. We had goose deocoys on the water, and two guys in a boat fishing floated to within 10 yards of my spread and just kept fishing. I yelled at them and they did not even look up at me and acknowledge, which tells me they totally did it on purpose.

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19898
01/06/2017 04:00 PM
01/06/2017 04:00 PM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Originally posted by johnc911:
Happened to me a few years ago. Took my daughter to Province Pond for one of her first hunts. We had goose deocoys on the water, and two guys in a boat fishing floated to within 10 yards of my spread and just kept fishing. I yelled at them and they did not even look up at me and acknowledge, which tells me they totally did it on purpose.
I read similar stories. One said that a bass boat pulled into their decoys and started fishing at 9 am. They were drinking beer and laughing at the hunters on the bank wearing camo while throwing their plugs towards them and the duck decoy spread. That's just rude. I know some crazy duck hunters that might have peppered them with a 12 gage round filled with rock salt. Like I said they are crazy. I personally don't go duck hunting anymore. When I did go duck hunting it was at Hovey's Lake and the Conservation Officers and Property Manager could see most all the duck hunters out on the lake with binoculars or big spotting scopes and tickets were routinely given out to those that didn't obey the rules.

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19899
02/14/2017 03:50 PM
02/14/2017 03:50 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
All of the Waterfowl Resting Areas were closed this season on F&W properties to non-waterfowl hunting people during the LATE goose season....that meant no fishing, no small game hunting, no coyote hunting and no scouting.... Only those hunting geese were allowed in those areas...they opened back up after late goose was done....I wanted to go scout some new deer areas, and was told nope, stay out until the season closed .....

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19900
02/16/2017 05:42 AM
02/16/2017 05:42 AM
N.W.Ind.
O
oldman1949 Offline
oldman1949  Offline
O
N.W.Ind.
And the problem with that is ???????

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19901
02/18/2017 09:13 AM
02/18/2017 09:13 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
didnt say there was a problem, except is screwed up my coyote hunting this season.....the WRA's generally close for all on most F&W areas on March 31st, except for those scouting turkey...depends on the particular property and if they allow turkey hunting in the WRA's.... Ive got between Feb 13 and March 31 to do my deer scouting and finding new stand locations, and any trimming that needs done...

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19902
02/18/2017 11:54 AM
02/18/2017 11:54 AM
N.W.Ind.
O
oldman1949 Offline
oldman1949  Offline
O
N.W.Ind.
Thank you for the reply . Wasn't sure what your feelings were on that .

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19903
03/12/2017 03:47 PM
03/12/2017 03:47 PM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Ouch that hurts as I like to hunt coyotes with my AR15 at night with lights. Guess I better read up on the new regulations at the Fish and Wildlife areas before I try doing that again.

I was not aware that we could not rabbit hunt or go scouting the area unless we were waterfowl hunting. I guess you have to have signed into the main log before hunting too.

I always wondered if Loon was off limits to anyone except water fowl hunter and then they are not allowed in the Refuge area to hunt. If it's a resting area then hunting there would certainly scare off the geese. At our resting area (loon Pit in Warrick County, IN) the geese actually nest there and raise their young. I was out crappie fishing there one year in April and there were plenty of Giant Canadian Geese nesting on the island near where I was fishing and they let me know that they were not pleased by my presence. I heard lots of geese honking their displeasure at my appearance. It was sort of funny. I kept on fishing and didn't really go that close to them as the closer I got to them the louder they became. I didn't want to mess with any mother goose protecting their young or their eggs in the nest. I've heard stories about geese attacking people that get too close to their young or nest.

I have seen lots of people out there fishing at times in the spring on Loon Pit and all though the summer.

Patoka Lake has areas that are closed off during waterfowl hunting season. Usually it's the upper ends of the creek that run into that lake. They are closed for most of the winter season that waterfowl are hunted.

Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
All of the Waterfowl Resting Areas were closed this season on F&W properties to non-waterfowl hunting people during the LATE goose season....that meant no fishing, no small game hunting, no coyote hunting and no scouting.... Only those hunting geese were allowed in those areas...they opened back up after late goose was done....I wanted to go scout some new deer areas, and was told nope, stay out until the season closed .....

Regards,

Moose1am
Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting #19904
03/13/2017 02:44 PM
03/13/2017 02:44 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
ALL small game hunting, rabbit, squirrel was a no no at anytime this past season on the Jasper/Pulaski WRA.....it used to be my go to spot for squirrels, I could not do it this past season...
I was told they are trying to reduce the human pressure/presence for the waterfowl guys...deer hunting was the exception as that is Archery ONLY and no stands can be left unattended/overnight, you pack 'em in, you pack it out... I love that Idea !!.....

Re: Bluegrass Pits shut down for waterfowl hunting [Re: Jeff Valovich] #48704
04/20/2019 03:52 AM
04/20/2019 03:52 AM
Southern IN
M
Moose1am Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Moose1am  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Southern IN
Is the IDNR WRA the same as an IDNR Fish and Wildlife Area?

Regards,

Moose1am

Moderated by  StillwaterSniper 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,662
Posts49,833
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 18 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance