12/15/2016 01:06 PM
12/15/2016 01:06 PM
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Stinger Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Stinger  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
1. If you hear a deer, it's probably a squirrel. If you hear a squirrel, it's probably a squirrel. If you don't hear anything, it's because there is nothing there. When you're 100% sure there are no deer, you'll notice a deer 20 yards away looking at you… and then runs off while snorting and alerting every animal in a half mile of your presence.

2. Deer hunters need to "fuel up" by eating two or even three times their normal amount of food before during and after a hunt since sitting on your butt absolutely motionless outside burns a lot of calories.

3. "Is my safety on?" [checks safety] "yeah, my safety is on." Repeat every 2-3 minutes for 10 straight hours.

4. After exhaustive hours and days of scouting, trimming branches, locating trails, rubs and scrapes, identifying food sources, bedding areas and finding the perfect tree to hang your stand; the deer come in on a different route just out of range.

5. You've waited all year for opening day and you're so excited that you can't sleep the night before so you stay awake with friends talking, drinking, watching hunting videos and re-enacting prior years failures and successes… when it's finally time to go hunting on opening morning, all you want to do is go to sleep.

6. You brought out all the gadgets to help bring in a big buck. You bleated, grunted, rattled, growled, waved your rag soaked in doe-in-heat urine, put out a few more tending calls, rattled a bit more, turned over your "original can" call, a few more grunts, three fawn bleats and another tending grunt just before you rattle one more time and then wonder why the deer aren't coming in.

7. You see a deer in your neighborhood while driving to your hunting spot 20 minutes away and then don't see a deer all day. When you get home your wife says, "I saw a deer in the backyard today… did you get anything?"

8. You hunt all weekend and finally during the last hour on Sunday, you start thinking about the big hassle it will be if you actually got a deer NOW since you'll spend half the night dressing it, dragging it, hanging it and then cleaning out the truck…after all you have to be at work in the morning and then silently hope a deer doesn't come out cause you need to sleep from all this hunting… and of course a deer doesn't come out because you're being negative and then shooting light ends and you drive home.

9. When two hunters are hunting the same 100 acre area, but arrive separately; their tree stands will inevitably be within sight of each other.

10. There are two types of deer hunters, those that put the work in and earn their deer and those that rely on others to put the work in and get lucky. It's nice to be the second guy once in a while, but real hunters would rather be the first guy.

Hunt Hard Gentlemen.

Deer Hunting since 1999 (Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana Antelope)

Marketing Guy in Chicago but grew up in Indiana/ Ball State.. blah blah blah.
Re: 10 Immutable Truths of Hunting Whitetail Deer by me :-) #16037
12/15/2016 02:08 PM
12/15/2016 02:08 PM
The Swamps of South Ga!
BowBo Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BowBo  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
The Swamps of South Ga!
Funny stuff!
And some very true stuff too! smile

Just call me Bo!
In the Spring I Strut ~ In the Fall I Rut!
Re: 10 Immutable Truths of Hunting Whitetail Deer by me :-) #16038
12/15/2016 02:13 PM
12/15/2016 02:13 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Online mad
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Online Mad
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
#8 ...Ive passed on some deer just so I didnt want to deal with the tracking, dragging/carting, field dressing, hanging when I get back, knowing I have to get up for work at 4 am the next day ... the same also doing a morning hunt, because I had to be at work in the afternoon.....the late PM Saturday hunts for me are cautious at times, if I hit a deer, and have to leave it over night, there is no way I can get back to it on Sunday until late afternoon, so if its warm, it spoils, if its cold, the 'yotes may get to it or even another hunter..... If I shoot late Sat. pm, it is a 100% makeable cant miss or else shot ... all I do is BOWhunt, so, I get real picky in shot selection at times ... lol...

BTW, if I "fuel up", it has to come out, usually right at prime time too....

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: 10 Immutable Truths of Hunting Whitetail Deer by me :-) #16039
12/15/2016 03:58 PM
12/15/2016 03:58 PM
John Scifres Offline
Hoosier Hunter
John Scifres  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hehehehe!

I've always found that as soon as I lower my bow, a deer will come in.

If I am ever desperate to see game, I will set my gun or bow down to take a leak. Works everytime.

I do see a lot of squirrels while deer hunting and a lot of deer while squirrel hunting.

Thanks for the smile.

Re: 10 Immutable Truths of Hunting Whitetail Deer by me :-) #16040
12/16/2016 05:43 AM
12/16/2016 05:43 AM
Angola
DEC Offline
Hoosier Hunter
DEC  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Angola
That pretty much sums it up ... LOL

Derek
New Day Outdoors Productions - It's a New Day in the Outdoors
Magnus Broadheads
Take a child hunting.
Wear a safety harness at all times ... TRUST ME!
Re: 10 Immutable Truths of Hunting Whitetail Deer by me :-) #16041
12/16/2016 06:21 AM
12/16/2016 06:21 AM
Webster, IN
L
Luke the Provider Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Luke the Provider  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
L
Webster, IN
laugh laugh

Re: 10 Immutable Truths of Hunting Whitetail Deer by me :-) #16042
12/16/2016 10:50 AM
12/16/2016 10:50 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
This has happened to me more times than I care to admit.....

You've been on stand for hours. It grows dark, you look around just to be sure there aren't any deer near you that you can see. You slowly climb down being as quiet as possible, reach the ground, gather your things...listen....take one step...and a deer blows @ you....

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance