Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11267
08/04/2015 04:04 AM
08/04/2015 04:04 AM
North/Central Indiana
tynimiller Offline
tynimiller  Offline
North/Central Indiana
Originally posted by delaney:
Ok, before we all get cranked up again, is it possible to focus on deer issues, management issues and not one organization vs. another organization. S_wilk, is it possible to private message Gary and ask that question? There is no relevance to this topic.

If IWDHM can make a difference, good for them. Will it be difficult, yes. Impossible, I don't know. The IDHA tried to make a difference and for a while, under different DNR management and government attitude, might have made some difference. Is there apathy in the existing groups and those who have beat their heads against the wall for year, yes. Does that mean they don't care any longer, no. But, does that mean the IWDHM or any other new group doesn't have a chance to change the course of things, no. So, why this constant discourse? Hey, whichever the new group is or how many there may be, give them a chance and leave the rhetoric behind. Maybe, sooner or later, some new group will somehow find a way to have an affect and help the DNR. This is ridiculous.
Delaney the pause or nature in which some of us respond to Gary is from the blatant abuse and mistreatment many of us received from IWDHM.

Funny thing is Swilk and I many a times have both stated to eachother that we agree with their overall mission and most of their major points. However, there is a lot of misleading and unprofessional management which attempts to shut up ANYONE which doesn't close their mouth with any doubts and merely follow like a blind sheep.

I wanted to join the IWDHM, I was one of the few that stayed active and posted frequently about topics/posts they would do on Facebook...no longer due to being banned for the excuse of the "disharmony" I caused. I never swore, never discredited anyone's opinion and most of all I simply cared enough to not blindly follow.

So while I get it, it does get redundant at times and yes most of this probably could be taken up by PMs however when you care so much about hunting (as I, Swilk and bet my bottom dollar everyone HERE) it gets your blood boiling to see wool being pulled over the eyes of some.

The funniest thing though Delaney? Is despite being banned, despite being ignored...I still wish them well and support their overall mission and that will never change!

I've said my piece for now, blessings Gary and the IWDHM on their endeavors...blessings to all hunters here who enjoy this lifestyle as much as Gary and all at the IWDHM...and blessings to those who continue to do ALL they can for their own localized herds whether by organizing co-ops, trigger control or supporting groups like IWDHM.

Less than 60 days fellas!!!

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11268
08/04/2015 04:41 AM
08/04/2015 04:41 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by tynimiller:
[b] Ok, before we all get cranked up again, is it possible to focus on deer issues, management issues and not one organization vs. another organization. S_wilk, is it possible to private message Gary and ask that question? There is no relevance to this topic.

If IWDHM can make a difference, good for them. Will it be difficult, yes. Impossible, I don't know. The IDHA tried to make a difference and for a while, under different DNR management and government attitude, might have made some difference. Is there apathy in the existing groups and those who have beat their heads against the wall for year, yes. Does that mean they don't care any longer, no. But, does that mean the IWDHM or any other new group doesn't have a chance to change the course of things, no. So, why this constant discourse? Hey, whichever the new group is or how many there may be, give them a chance and leave the rhetoric behind. Maybe, sooner or later, some new group will somehow find a way to have an affect and help the DNR. This is ridiculous.
Delaney the pause or nature in which some of us respond to Gary is from the blatant abuse and mistreatment many of us received from IWDHM.

Funny thing is Swilk and I many a times have both stated to eachother that we agree with their overall mission and most of their major points. However, there is a lot of misleading and unprofessional management which attempts to shut up ANYONE which doesn't close their mouth with any doubts and merely follow like a blind sheep.

I wanted to join the IWDHM, I was one of the few that stayed active and posted frequently about topics/posts they would do on Facebook...no longer due to being banned for the excuse of the "disharmony" I caused. I never swore, never discredited anyone's opinion and most of all I simply cared enough to not blindly follow.

So while I get it, it does get redundant at times and yes most of this probably could be taken up by PMs however when you care so much about hunting (as I, Swilk and bet my bottom dollar everyone HERE) it gets your blood boiling to see wool being pulled over the eyes of some.

Less than 60 days fellas!!! [/b]
+1...Well said and straight to the point!

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11269
08/04/2015 04:46 AM
08/04/2015 04:46 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
The Board of the IWDHM does not comment on the resignation of members or individuals that have been banned from our Facebook page. We feel that is a privacy issue. It is not our intent, nor does it serve our purpose to cause embarrassment to anyone.

As much as I would like to comment on some issues for clarification, as some go around the internet, leaving information on more sites than I can mention about their banishment. It would not be good business, and something we feel is just wrong.

Our site will not tolerate constant heckling, or promotion of disharmony for the cause. The "cause", or the resource being available to future generations, is greater than any one individual or group.

I have only attempted to answer mostly Joe on this forum, as he directly used his influence with the IDHA, to directly cause divide, between sportspersons groups just attempting to have a voice. Hence, I believe in the IDHA, and felt it is was necessary to attempt to bridge that divide he caused, for the sake of the majority of IDHA members that have like minded goals as the IWDHM Group.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11270
08/04/2015 04:50 AM
08/04/2015 04:50 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
Originally posted by jbwhttail:
IWDHM does not know that IDNR has its own plan for deer management, it does not follow any other state. IDNR had meetings for hunter input on quotas before, now they don't feel the need to include our input.

IWDHM probably will be getting the Legislature involved in deer management, our Legislators are all experts in this field also.

I'm going to enjoy watching this side show!
Does this promote any harmony for the resource? Is this professional? Is this just some chest puffing for ones own satisfaction? I would suggest we acknowledge personal dissatisfaction with each other, and leave the groups and the resource out of it, for the betterment of our environment and resources. I would hope we can at least agree on that!

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11271
08/04/2015 04:57 AM
08/04/2015 04:57 AM
Vincennes, Indiana
S
s_wilk Offline
s_wilk  Offline
S
Vincennes, Indiana
Gary - someone posted on your FB page (using the IWDHM credentials) about the board members resigning; surely that person must be aware that you do not comment on such things?? If not, you might want to make them aware.

The only reason I asked was because of that post .... I was curious to know who it might be.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11272
08/04/2015 05:19 AM
08/04/2015 05:19 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by GaryWalters:

I have only attempted to answer mostly Joe on this forum, as he directly used his influence with the IDHA, to directly cause divide, between sportspersons groups just attempting to have a voice. Hence, I believe in the IDHA, and felt it is was necessary to attempt to bridge that divide he caused, for the sake of the majority of IDHA members that have like minded goals as the IWDHM Group.
That's a BS statement if I every seen one...

The IWDHM started the "DIVIDE" on there FB page after the first attendance of a FWCC meeting with there "Constant Heckling" about what other Deer groups DIDN'T say while attending a meeting!!

You need to get your facts in order Gary before you start pointing the FINGER of "DIVIDE"......SMH

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11273
08/04/2015 07:34 AM
08/04/2015 07:34 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
Here are the current IWDHM Group Board Members:

IWDHM Group Staff and Board of Directors

Matt Barton, Wabash
Gary Walters, RN, Indianapolis, Mansfield
Kevin Barr, Wabash
John Adkins, Lagro
Tim Moore, Mooresville
David Hutchinson, Underwood
Weston Pavey, Whitestown

Due to privacy agreements, my previous statement stands. Here are the current Board of Directors, I hope that will answer your questions.

Greg, I would just ask what would you like from us? What would be your suggestion of how we change to meet your needs? Would that meet the needs of the thousands that state we are overharvesting the deer in their areas? Would that promote the health of the herd and the hunting heritage per our mission statement? What are your goals with the deer herd? How would you go about accomplishing these goals? Maybe you have found a better way? Thank you.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11274
08/04/2015 08:00 AM
08/04/2015 08:00 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
I would also like to clarify some misinformation that is going around. You all know our mission statement:

IWDHM is committed to advocating for the health of our deer herd and the preservation of our hunting heritage for future generations.

With that said: it really is that simple.
1. We believe in many areas the herd is being overharvested and simply bag limits need to be adjusted accordingly.

2. We believe the practice of using depredation permits in the summer is unethical and inhumane. We believe this puts hunting in a terrible perspective, and is truly not hunting. We also believe this shuts off many thousands of acres to hunters, that would otherwise need to be opened up to control populations using the management tool of hunting within the seasons. The only tool that has proven effective for decades now, despite new advances in technology.

3. We believe in starting a county deer advisory council similar to Wisconsin's whereas: local stakeholders have a say in the management of the local herds. People that will have a more accurate grasp as to what is going on in their area's with their herds. Then moderation can be attained from both sides of the fence when setting annual bag limits, and these recommendations can be given first hand to the BI
OLOGISTS setting the final bag limits.

4. We believe in working with other groups, where our goals and missions intersect, such as hunter access, habitat issues, clean air and water, etc.

4. Educating hunters to take more ownership in their local deer herds and exercise restraint in harvest when needed d/t overharvest, EHD, fawn recruitment. Also, when needed as management tools to do their part in harvesting those excess deer. However, in most areas that is done, now, we need to just back off for awhile.

What we do not promote.

1. Getting involved in divisive issues that have historically hamstringed the hunting community and groups from being properly recognized and heard due to in-fighting.

2. We do not promote drastic changes to the tradition of season structures, weapons, or other divisive issues that will remain divisive, and basically have already been settled through the processes of the past.

3. We do not promote the total discontinuation of bonus county permits. We believe this is a scientific management tool. We believe; however that the numbers should be more reflective of the area's deer herd population. If nothing more than to promote a sense of the state of the herd in the area. Currently a person could look at the bonus county map from out of state, and look at say Parke County and assume with an educated guess there is a deer behind every tree, come to the state and lease ground and kill 8 does thinking they are doing us a favor. This perception of overpopulation is just not the case any longer in most areas and it is up to us and other groups to change that perception.

I would pray, this would clarify our stances. I also would apologize if there has ever been any fault on our part to make this perfectly clear. We have always attempted to keep this as clear and simple as possible. Of course we are all human, therefore; not perfect. Doing our best to make a difference in legitimate problems we recognize facing the herd. We also suggest if this is either to simple, or complex; please, start a group, focus on the herd, and make the hunter's voice respected once again.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11275
08/04/2015 08:04 AM
08/04/2015 08:04 AM
North/Central Indiana
tynimiller Offline
tynimiller  Offline
North/Central Indiana
I would also like to clarify some misinformation that is going around. You all know our mission statement:

IWDHM is committed to advocating for the health of our deer herd and the preservation of our hunting heritage for future generations.

With that said: it really is that simple.
1. We believe in many areas the herd is being overharvested and simply bag limits need to be adjusted accordingly.

2. We believe the practice of using depredation permits in the summer is unethical and inhumane. We believe this puts hunting in a terrible perspective, and is truly not hunting. We also believe this shuts off many thousands of acres to hunters, that would otherwise need to be opened up to control populations using the management tool of hunting within the seasons. The only tool that has proven effective for decades now, despite new advances in technology.

3. We believe in starting a county deer advisory council similar to Wisconsin's whereas: local stakeholders have a say in the management of the local herds. People that will have a more accurate grasp as to what is going on in their area's with their herds. Then moderation can be attained from both sides of the fence when setting annual bag limits, and these recommendations can be given first hand to the BI
OLOGISTS setting the final bag limits.

4. We believe in working with other groups, where our goals and missions intersect, such as hunter access, habitat issues, clean air and water, etc.

4. Educating hunters to take more ownership in their local deer herds and exercise restraint in harvest when needed d/t overharvest, EHD, fawn recruitment. Also, when needed as management tools to do their part in harvesting those excess deer. However, in most areas that is done, now, we need to just back off for awhile.

What we do not promote.

1. Getting involved in divisive issues that have historically hamstringed the hunting community and groups from being properly recognized and heard due to in-fighting.

2. We do not promote drastic changes to the tradition of season structures, weapons, or other divisive issues that will remain divisive, and basically have already been settled through the processes of the past.

3. We do not promote the total discontinuation of bonus county permits. We believe this is a scientific management tool. We believe; however that the numbers should be more reflective of the area's deer herd population. If nothing more than to promote a sense of the state of the herd in the area. Currently a person could look at the bonus county map from out of state, and look at say Parke County and assume with an educated guess there is a deer behind every tree, come to the state and lease ground and kill 8 does thinking they are doing us a favor. This perception of overpopulation is just not the case any longer in most areas and it is up to us and other groups to change that perception.

I would pray, this would clarify our stances. I also would apologize if there has ever been any fault on our part to make this perfectly clear. We have always attempted to keep this as clear and simple as possible. Of course we are all human, therefore; not perfect. Doing our best to make a difference in legitimate problems we recognize facing the herd. We also suggest if this is either to simple, or complex; please, start a group, focus on the herd, and make the hunter's voice respected once again.
This site doesn't have a like button so I quoted it. All of these major points are why I support IWDHM albeit from the status I am! I do pray you guys make headway in these things Gary!!

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11276
08/04/2015 08:13 AM
08/04/2015 08:13 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Gary,

That's all I was asking for a week or so ago...

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11277
08/04/2015 08:34 AM
08/04/2015 08:34 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
jjas, I honestly believed that all this information was given repeatedly, on here, on Facebook, on other forums. I felt like I just kept repeating it and was becoming redundant. Do believe this has been well published, but again, hey, I am human, hence imperfection. If anything to the contrary was/ or has been published, it is NOT THE IWDHM STANCE, period.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11278
08/04/2015 08:36 AM
08/04/2015 08:36 AM
Camby
C
Cody.Query Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Cody.Query  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Camby
What if you don't have/use facebook? A quick google search only lets me see facebook affiliation. DO you have a website?

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11279
08/04/2015 08:45 AM
08/04/2015 08:45 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
Cody.Query, no, that is one of our goals. However, with that said, we want to keep the focus on Facebook. While we realize this is a social experiment; we see the potential, that is already being captured in all fields, social, personal, business, non for profit, fund raising, awareness, entertainment. Why not uniting hunters in a simple and easy way to express their voices. Then as staff/directors, we present this information, that is readily accessible to all parties via the internet night or day. So be believe keeping our focus and resources there for continuity is beneficial.

We are working on website, to at least give one other option for those that do not use Facebook. However, again, we are just working guys attempting to organize something for the health of the herd, and operating out of our own pockets, no dues charged, no funds received whatsoever. So some growth such as web site development may be slower than expected.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11280
08/04/2015 08:47 AM
08/04/2015 08:47 AM
North/Central Indiana
tynimiller Offline
tynimiller  Offline
North/Central Indiana
Gary should you guys want help on the website side of things I can and would be willing to assist ya!

Not nearly as hard as it once was to do it...do not hire a web designer for what you guys want that would be overkill and would cost WAY too much!

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11281
08/04/2015 09:11 AM
08/04/2015 09:11 AM
Camby
C
Cody.Query Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Cody.Query  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Camby
Cody.Query, no, that is one of our goals. However, with that said, we want to keep the focus on Facebook. While we realize this is a social experiment; we see the potential, that is already being captured in all fields, social, personal, business, non for profit, fund raising, awareness, entertainment. Why not uniting hunters in a simple and easy way to express their voices. Then as staff/directors, we present this information, that is readily accessible to all parties via the internet night or day. So be believe keeping our focus and resources there for continuity is beneficial.

We are working on website, to at least give one other option for those that do not use Facebook. However, again, we are just working guys attempting to organize something for the health of the herd, and operating out of our own pockets, no dues charged, no funds received whatsoever. So some growth such as web site development may be slower than expected.
How do you join your membership without facebook I guess was the question? I seem to agree with the things you mentioned.

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11282
08/04/2015 09:30 AM
08/04/2015 09:30 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
Oh sorry.

Just email to IWDHMGROUP@yahoo.com

Name
Address
Phone

Email

County of Residence
County Hunted

Type of membership: Youth (with parent permission), Individual, Family, and if family names and ages of family members.

Then from that we send out emails to all members as to daily changes, ideas, responses from DNR, legislators, just whatever comes up, keeping all informed best we can.

Thanks for the support Brother

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11283
08/04/2015 09:39 AM
08/04/2015 09:39 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
OH Date of Birth Cody

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11284
08/04/2015 10:01 AM
08/04/2015 10:01 AM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
jjas, I honestly believed that all this information was given repeatedly, on here, on Facebook, on other forums. I felt like I just kept repeating it and was becoming redundant. Do believe this has been well published, but again, hey, I am human, hence imperfection. If anything to the contrary was/ or has been published, it is NOT THE IWDHM STANCE, period.
From my view point in working with organizations for 25 years where vision/mission statements are a norm, I have learned that when "repeating it becomes redundant" that is when people just "START" to get it.

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11285
08/04/2015 10:38 AM
08/04/2015 10:38 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Thanks...

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11286
08/04/2015 01:59 PM
08/04/2015 01:59 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Originally posted by tynimiller:
[b] Ok, before we all get cranked up again, is it possible to focus on deer issues, management issues and not one organization vs. another organization. S_wilk, is it possible to private message Gary and ask that question? There is no relevance to this topic.

The funniest thing though Delaney? Is despite being banned, despite being ignored...I still wish them well and support their overall mission and that will never change!

I've said my piece for now, blessings Gary and the IWDHM on their endeavors...blessings to all hunters here who enjoy this lifestyle as much as Gary and all at the IWDHM...and blessings to those who continue to do ALL they can for their own localized herds whether by organizing co-ops, trigger control or supporting groups like IWDHM.

Thanks much for the comment. I am simply not interested in this or other threads or topics becoming a constant "he said, she said" and/or insinuative reaction all the time. The but, but, but, while possibly true at times, provides little value to begin with and no value after a while. When disagreement or perspectives continue to go back and forth with what becomes argumentative words being used, it's then time for guys to take it to private messaging and get it out of the public flow. My comments here are not supportive of one side or the other but instead meant as a expectation.

I believe it has been pretty clear over the years that this site is one of the most tolerant. But, that said, this site can end up being a reflection of the IDHA and for those who come to the site and use the site, they need to be respectful of that issue and limit some of the various things that get going. Not to do so, in my opinion, is simply not acceptable. I have no personal negative feelings towards anyone but to have a rerun of a few years ago between folks being hashed out using this site since some were banned from the other site is really unwarranted. I hope you understand where i'm coming from and my comments are not directed at you but are general in nature. I again hope that issues and items are the focus, not promotion of an organization or detraction from an organization.
Less than 60 days fellas!!! [/b]

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11287
08/04/2015 02:16 PM
08/04/2015 02:16 PM
North/Central Indiana
tynimiller Offline
tynimiller  Offline
North/Central Indiana
Trust me I at all times will always remain respectful no matter what is being discussed. Appreciated your comments and I know exactly what you mean and are getting at and to an extent it is very warranted!

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11288
08/04/2015 02:19 PM
08/04/2015 02:19 PM
Vincennes, Indiana
S
s_wilk Offline
s_wilk  Offline
S
Vincennes, Indiana
Delaney - curious if you are a moderator or just a member stating an opinion? No disrespect with the question just needing to know so I can more carefully weigh the words.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11289
08/04/2015 04:13 PM
08/04/2015 04:13 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by s_wilk:
Delaney - curious if you are a moderator or just a member stating an opinion? No disrespect with the question just needing to know so I can more carefully weigh the words.
All moderaters are listed on main page.....Delaney is the voice of reason in many ways!!

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11290
08/04/2015 04:17 PM
08/04/2015 04:17 PM
Vincennes, Indiana
S
s_wilk Offline
s_wilk  Offline
S
Vincennes, Indiana
Got it. Like I said...no disrespect meant. The question was answered anyway so its a null point.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11291
08/04/2015 05:41 PM
08/04/2015 05:41 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Originally posted by s_wilk:
Not a moderator but as a long member of the IDHA I take interest in how this site reflects upon the organization as well as how all of us interact with each other.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11292
08/05/2015 05:43 AM
08/05/2015 05:43 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
[b]

Greg, I would just ask what would you like from us? What would be your suggestion of how we change to meet your needs? Would that meet the needs of the thousands that state we are overharvesting the deer in their areas? Would that promote the health of the herd and the hunting heritage per our mission statement? What are your goals with the deer herd? How would you go about accomplishing these goals? Maybe you have found a better way? Thank you.
[/b]
Sorry I old sometimes hit reply button on accident before ready. But anyway was just touching base with Greg. Usually quick to respond to my posts. Seems delayed and I was just curious to what his viewpoint is on my questions?

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11293
08/05/2015 05:47 AM
08/05/2015 05:47 AM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Can't let it lay,,,can ya?

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11294
08/05/2015 05:52 AM
08/05/2015 05:52 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
Well seems he can bad mouth everything I say and stand for, which is his right. Just asking for his opinion on problems and his solution. He has commented since I asked on this exact thread, but provided no real answers or response. I am pointing out what we are up against with this infighting. Calling some people out. It is about time someone does. Lets just start looking at the real picture and quit being politically correct. Those heckling, cannot or will not, provide even their own opinion on the real issues. Everyone should see that. When we all do, then we can move on to solutions and awareness of the real issues. Thanks for your comments weedhopper.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11295
08/05/2015 05:55 AM
08/05/2015 05:55 AM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Lets just start looking at the real picture and quit being politically correct. Those heckling, cannot or will not, provide even their own opinion on the real issues. Everyone should see that. When we all do, then we can move on to solutions and awareness of the real issues. Thanks for your comments weedhopper.
Read that back to yourself a few times, and see if you don't get it. cool

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11296
08/05/2015 06:05 AM
08/05/2015 06:05 AM
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
I get what you are saying weedhopper. Just have a different approach. Have to say for most part working on getting people to focus on real issues, just painful getting there sometimes. We all have our approaches. Think in general, people are tired of the political correctness that has empowered bullies on the net and otherwise. Thanks though.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11297
08/05/2015 06:08 AM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
cool

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11298
Carbon, Indiana
G
GaryWalters Offline
GaryWalters  Offline
G
Carbon, Indiana
So back to my questions. What answers, solutions, recommendations, opinions (on the issues) does anyone have? Lets get to the point. Maybe someone has an idea that will blow the lid off everything. Looking for those ideas.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11299
08/05/2015 06:46 AM
08/05/2015 06:46 AM
North/Central Indiana
tynimiller Offline
tynimiller  Offline
North/Central Indiana
Gary,

-The biggest point I would support and push the DNR to attempt to do is fill the vacant biologist spots. This in my opinion at least could have the biggest impact felt by hunters. Some claim the herd is decimated, others it is surging...neither is wrong probably when you consider their location and localized herds. However, positioning a group of biologists capable of analyzing nature far better than any of us may result in further division of areas which need population control, reduction or increase. This obviously could be easily manipulated by bonus numbers but harvest records show the number of bonus tags actually used wouldn't possibly be enough...perhaps the biologists would find it warranted in some areas to deny depredation permits and bonus tags...who knows.

-Second thing I feel needs to be done is the state to realize regulation changes of harvest totals, late season doe harvests, bonus quotas and all are a tool to manipulate the overall population but EDUCATION of the hunter base is truly what needs accomplished. If the DNR could ever get the amount of money raised from our tags/licenses like they should I would love to see some kind of management education program/campaign pushed across the state. Educate hunters to rely upon their scouting, sightings, trail cameras and browse research to determine how their localized herds are doing...abandon the idea some hold that "if the state says I can take 5 in my county...well than I should 5." This kind of concept or mindset is degrading to hunters and makes us appear morons when you step back and look at the whole picture. Granted this would have to be gone about in a way to not scare those weekend warriors and gun opener only kind of guys/gals that surge the total licenses sold so much, but I'd love to have a state that worries less about how many licenses they sell than how well managed the herd is and how well managed the minds of the hunters in the state are.

-Speaking of the minds of hunters, I think many also need to realize habitat changes can have HUGE impacts on the deer herd around them. A park like mature woods with no under-foilage isn't going to hold the number of deer any hunter desires to see...

-Further on the mindset of hunters is the concept of area co-operatives. Whether they be QDMA based (I know some hate QDMA) or simply a group of hunters from an area coming together to discuss and implement management plans. This can be as simple as communicating doe/buck sightings and harvests as to keep a tab on the harvest figures throughout the year in a great localized area than one hunters back 40 acres...collaboration between hunters is a good thing.

-Depredation tags. A lot of fuss is made of these things...and a lot of it is warranted. I believe filling the biologist positions is how you have this re-evaluated...not evaluated first than the positions. Either way we all know of cases where these are abused...and some of us know where they are honestly needed.

Blessings. Just a few thoughts as I had time to share.

Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11300
08/05/2015 07:55 AM
08/05/2015 07:55 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
So back to my questions. What answers, solutions, recommendations, opinions (on the issues) does anyone have? Lets get to the point. Maybe someone has an idea that will blow the lid off everything. Looking for those ideas.
Gary.... Please contact me via PM so we can trade phone #'s. I will discuss with you what works and what doesn't...... And where things are headed. Not going to type that here since there are known trolls on this and other sites that just are living life to treat others as pariah, smear and disrupt good intentions. Not posting what we are doing is a tactic we have had to resort to in the past few years.

Thanks,

Tim

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11301
08/05/2015 11:13 AM
08/05/2015 11:13 AM
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
Weedy, Some time ago a wise old member on here gave me some very good advise......remember..??? wink laugh h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11302
08/05/2015 11:48 AM
08/05/2015 11:48 AM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Yep...gotcha. cool wink

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11303
08/05/2015 03:17 PM
08/05/2015 03:17 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Gary?????????

Can you explain the following post on your site?

YOU posted a picture and said it WAS a out of season/depradation kill with a fawn left to die.Very compelling picture!

[Linked Image]

then my son finds the REAL picture that is a ROAD KILL.........and you revise the post to.....

[Linked Image]

You deceived your members and anyone else looking at the photo! You stole the photo from another site without permission!

And you want to be creditable???????

I now have to original REAL photo do I need to post it?????? Sounds to me you have alot of "Brian Williams" in ya........... "I was there......."LOL.

When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11304
08/05/2015 03:50 PM
08/05/2015 03:50 PM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
[Linked Image]

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11305
08/05/2015 03:56 PM
08/05/2015 03:56 PM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
ROFLMAO

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: Deer numbers have been declining, especially in the Midwest. #11306
08/05/2015 04:16 PM
08/05/2015 04:16 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Funny thing about the picture that Joe posted is that you can see the blacktop in the photo...

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 22 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance