05/26/2015 01:57 PM
05/26/2015 01:57 PM
S.W.Indiana
PoseyCoHunter Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PoseyCoHunter  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S.W.Indiana
If I only had one tag, I would let the buck pass & let nature take care of it. If I had multiple buck tags I would take that buck because even wounded bucks have some good meat. After season is over & the neighbors see that poor buck limping through their field maybe they will get the big picture.

Re: Wounded buck--what would you do? #11164
05/26/2015 04:17 PM
05/26/2015 04:17 PM
Terre Haute
sticksender Offline
Site Administrator
sticksender  Offline
Site Administrator
Hoosier Hunter
Terre Haute
Nature happens 24-7-365, whether we happen to be around to witness it or not. Choosing to "mercy kill" a particular animal is strictly a feel-good move. The cold reality is that in the grand scheme of the food chain, it's a meaningless gesture. So we needn't feel obligated to intercede, merely because by sheer luck we happen to find ourselves near a deer with an injury. We tend to overestimate our importance in such matters. A deer is not a human.

BTW, that particular buck appeared to have a foot wound, which is a common event in nature. He was feeding and moving along just fine IMO. Deer are tough as nails, and normally fully recover from any kind of leg injury. But whether he dies today or not, it's an absolute certainty that his carcass will be utilized when he does.

No matter what you'd choose to do, it's useful to keep in mind there are 1000's of other injured or sick deer walking around that you can't do a thing about. When we fret and worry over the "pain" or "feelings" of one single animal, we are slipping into the realm of anthropomorphism. Kind of like the thought process of anti-hunting granola munchers who would dearly love to turn us all into vegans!

--------------------
Re: Wounded buck--what would you do? #11165
05/26/2015 06:08 PM
05/26/2015 06:08 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
It all leads to a interesting discussion of whether a person would consider themselves an animal welfare supporter, an animal rights supporter or someone who is neither. Animals that are suffering with an expectation of dying, I'd put down.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Wounded buck--what would you do? #11166
05/26/2015 07:07 PM
05/26/2015 07:07 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by sticksender:
Nature happens 24-7-365, whether we happen to be around to witness it or not. Choosing to "mercy kill" a particular animal is strictly a feel-good move. The cold reality is that in the grand scheme of the food chain, it's a meaningless gesture. So we needn't feel obligated to intercede, merely because by sheer luck we happen to find ourselves near a deer with an injury. We tend to overestimate our importance in such matters. A deer is not a human.

BTW, that particular buck appeared to have a foot wound, which is a common event in nature. He was feeding and moving along just fine IMO. Deer are tough as nails, and normally fully recover from any kind of leg injury. But whether he dies today or not, it's an absolute certainty that his carcass will be utilized when he does.

No matter what you'd choose to do, it's useful to keep in mind there are 1000's of other injured or sick deer walking around that you can't do a thing about. When we fret and worry over the "pain" or "feelings" of one single animal, we are slipping into the realm of anthropomorphism. Kind of like the thought process of anti-hunting granola munchers who would dearly love to turn us all into vegans!
+1....well said!!! Thanks

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: Wounded buck--what would you do? #11167
05/27/2015 06:37 PM
05/27/2015 06:37 PM
Hamilton County
BIGBUCKS Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BIGBUCKS  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hamilton County

agree 100%

Stephen
>>>-------->
Nothings better than a Smallmouth on a stiff Rod....
Re: Wounded buck--what would you do? #11168
05/28/2015 03:02 AM
05/28/2015 03:02 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
some sleep better doing the "right" thing.

Theres thousands of people mugged every day, if I see it I will stop it.

If I see a dog hit on the road thrashing about and mangled, I will end his misery too.

for those that say dont waste your tag....would you if it was a 180" buck? Of course you would. Its all about antlers now a days.

to each his own....its all venison in the freezer to me

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: Wounded buck--what would you do? #11169
05/28/2015 12:43 PM
05/28/2015 12:43 PM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Is it meaningless to the animal put out of it's misery?

I feel the buck in the video would have recovered from a foot wound as you mentioned. I have seen several deer getting around fine on 3 legs for many seasons, I had one 3 legged buck even came into rattling antlers looking for a fight once.

Some others I have encountered in much worse condition whose demise was imminent. I did what I feel to be the right thing and ended their suffering.

Nature happens 24-7-365, whether we happen to be around to witness it or not. Choosing to "mercy kill" a particular animal is strictly a feel-good move. The cold reality is that in the grand scheme of the food chain, it's a meaningless gesture....

Re: Wounded buck--what would you do? #11170
06/01/2015 10:23 AM
06/01/2015 10:23 AM
Noblesville IN
G
garman6 Offline
garman6  Offline
G
Noblesville IN
I had a buck on my farm for 3 years straight with 3 legs. The first year he was 130" or so with his leg flopping behind him as he ran. The next year he was bigger and I even saw him top a doe, but the last year he wasn't in good shape and I ended it in late muzzleloader. Where I hunt used to be high pressure and seeing wounded deer was common. I think its entirely up to the hunter, but cleaning up other peoples mess gets very old. Yes nature is cruel but there are no bullets in nature, we provide those. I will end any animals suffering if it appears to be dying.

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 46 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance