12/17/2014 07:19 AM
12/17/2014 07:19 AM
Central Indiana
B
BigBuckD Offline OP
BigBuckD  Offline OP
B
Central Indiana
The cold air pierced my face and the wind made my eyes water. The 8 degree reading on my truck dash board only confirmed my commitment and slight level of insanity. I woke that morning at 3am to drive 2 hours to go hunting in 8 degree weather with hopes of harvesting a mature buck. What I harvested that day and every day of this hunting season has been more valuable and rewarding than any meat in my freezer or trophy on my wall.
I met "Bob" a little over 8 months ago to discuss a lease that he was offering. The lease fell through at no fault of Bob's and I was left with the public land option to hunt for the upcoming season. I didn't expect what came next, Jon invited me to hunt his personal property. I didn't know Bob and he didn't know me. Why would a serious deer hunter invite me into his property to hunt?
As the light slowly pierced the darkness the forest floor came into sight 25ft below my climber. Suddenly I caught sight of movement to my left as a doe slowly approached. Then another doe and another and another. The morning was on fire with activity as does roamed the forest floor. The abundance of does only heightened my hopes of the season and desire to harvest a mature buck.
Bob's kindess was and still is overwhelming. Bob is an older surly character with the mouth of a drunken sailor and the heart the size of an elephants. I am a man who believes that Jesus Christ is the Son of God and only by the redemptive power of the cross and the overcoming rising from the grave by my Lord and Savior have I been saved from my sin.
I don't push my faith much but it plays into this story. Here is this man Jon who has no obligation to me yet extends every grace and gift that was given to him and shares it with me. What a lesson not only for any believer but for humanity. Why not? Why not give of ourselves and of any thing that we have been blessed with?
This hunting season has made me a better man by the kindness shown to me by new friend, Bob. I hope as we all read through this and other forums that we share the lessons learned in the woods, on stand, and in each others lives. It doesn't take much to make a difference in someone elses life. Sharing, we teach our kids this lesson of sharing from an early age yet as adults we often forget the depth of that lesson. Thank you Bob for sharing so much with all that you have.
I did harvest a doe early in October on Bob's property and I am still looking for that mature buck. Yet I am most excited just to spend time and share life with my new friend Bob. Now that's "The Good Stuff".

Re: The Good Stuff... #10282
12/17/2014 07:49 AM
12/17/2014 07:49 AM
New Castle IN.
1965Mustang Offline
1965Mustang  Offline
New Castle IN.
THANKS for sharing!!! If we just show our love for other it would be a better place to live. Again THANKS for sharing

Re: The Good Stuff... #10283
12/17/2014 08:13 AM
12/17/2014 08:13 AM
east cent.
nickgsp2 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
nickgsp2  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
east cent.
Very cool and something that don't happen often in the hunting world

Re: The Good Stuff... #10284
12/17/2014 10:37 AM
12/17/2014 10:37 AM
Morgantown
thunderhead30 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
thunderhead30  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Morgantown
Powerful!!!! Makes you think about the wonderful things that still happen around us. You definitely have befriended some very unique people it sounds like. Thanks for sharing.

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 25 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance