Randolph County
M
Magnum hunter Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Magnum hunter  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Randolph County
I'm hoping the rut will get these bucks up on their feet. I have only seen one deer this whole october lull which was last night...I spooked it but wouldnt have been able to get the shot anyway. Does anybody have any thoughts or tips for this rut coming up...?

"The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know."
Re: The rut #8564
10/22/2014 05:38 AM
10/22/2014 05:38 AM
east cent.
nickgsp2 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
nickgsp2  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
east cent.
Hunt as much as you can

Re: The rut #8565
10/22/2014 05:42 AM
10/22/2014 05:42 AM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline
River Rat
D
Indiana
November is the month to get a big boy.......the November days leading up to gun are the shizzle.....some of my best killing days/sightings are the 5-7....but the last two years....they were cranked up just a few days before the gun opener.....enjoy!!!

Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping is where it's @!!!!!
Re: The rut #8566
10/22/2014 05:43 AM
10/22/2014 05:43 AM
Indiana
D
DawnPatrol Offline
River Rat
DawnPatrol  Offline
River Rat
D
Indiana
Originally posted by nickgsp2:
Hunt as much as you can
+1

Hunting, Fishing, and Trapping is where it's @!!!!!
Re: The rut #8567
10/22/2014 06:09 AM
10/22/2014 06:09 AM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
Agree w prior posts, hunt as much as you can and be patient. November should be good action. I always get a little more fired up when we get past Halloween, but keep sharp because we've been seeing more movement w crops coming out. You may only get one chance at a good one so keep after it and write up your hunts in your journal. After a few years you will see patterns of the rut.

Followed by Buzzards
Re: The rut #8568
10/22/2014 07:17 AM
10/22/2014 07:17 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
hunt Nov 1 to 10 as much as you can, mid day action in funnels can be awesome!

Re: The rut #8569
10/22/2014 07:18 AM
10/22/2014 07:18 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
I have trail cam pics of some monsters on their feet at noon from Nov 4 to 8 last year

Re: The rut #8570
10/22/2014 08:53 AM
10/22/2014 08:53 AM
Randolph County
M
Magnum hunter Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Magnum hunter  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
M
Randolph County
This is all that I have heard in past years and great advice!!! Thanks...the October lull seems to be the October lull frown frown laugh laugh ...although does anybody use attractants that work? Some buddys have been asking me and want to know

"The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know."
Re: The rut #8571
10/22/2014 12:22 PM
10/22/2014 12:22 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
In all my years of deer hunting(50 this year!) I have had two bucks come into a deer pee attractant! I killed one and the other run before the shot. I have not used a attractant in almost 20 years. They don't work the vast majority of the time.

Here is my experience, as well as true science. Moon phase, it doesn't work. If moon phase worked we would have fawns born with upto a 25 day varience per year. Science shows that measuring fawn fetus(crown rump)breeding dates are mainly November 10-15 each year other than deer in Florida,Texas, and the Mississippi Delta deer herd. This is the first and primary rut, a few does come in season early and a few late.

Right now your best "gimmick" is rattling, the bucks are getting frustrated looking for a recep0tive doe and are still trying to set the pecking order for breeding. You also have bucks invading other bucks territory. We use LARGE antlers, sound from them travel better and little bucks wont run in to a fight they don't think they can win. Like people some bucks will come in no matter their size, they just like to fight and think they are the baddest dude in town. When I rattle I like an open area down wind as any respectable buck wont want to cross it in the daylight, force the deer to come in on a cross wind or upwind.

There is no magic recipe to killing a big buck other than hunting time. Be on stand as much and as long as possible from now until Thanksgiving.It is my belief that bucks still try to lay down soon after daylight but the breeding urge is too strong, they are back on their feet by 9:00am and VERY active thru mid afternoon, I see the action taper off again after 4:00pm until dark.

Don't hunt the bucks, hunt the does, where the does are is where bucks are at this time. If you know where does like to bed hunt the down wind side of that area. A buck doesn't need to go look at the does he just beeds to get a sniff........

Rattle until Nov 1st. Then seat time until Nov 10th. Many of the big bucks my son and I have killed are between Nov 4 and 8. Then the next best dates are November 17-28 after the breeding dates are past,bucks are again actively looking for another doe to breed.

No magic formula Magnum, seat time and hunt where the does are...........

Good luck

When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....
Re: The rut #8572
10/22/2014 04:48 PM
10/22/2014 04:48 PM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
Keep in mind, If you're hunting the same area a lot right now, you will put a ton of scent in that area. Even though you may not see them spook, eventually the does will begin to avoid an area that is saturated with human scent.

I try to stay out of and downwind of any area I expect will be good during that golden time of Nov 4th-8th, give or take a few days.

When I was younger if I was seeing does, I would hunt it every chance I could. Then it would go dead right when I needed it!

Food for thought

Re: The rut #8573
10/22/2014 05:52 PM
10/22/2014 05:52 PM
South Central indiana
J
jarang1128 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jarang1128  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
South Central indiana
This graphic, produced by QDMA for an article in Quality Whitetails magazine, illustrates a fact that has stood up to repeated scientific testing over the years: The moon does not have a detectable influence on the timing of whitetail breeding.

Scientists have known for decades that the length of daylight each day, which fluctuates throughout the seasons, serves as the trigger for hormone changes in deer that bring on breeding and the rut – though the timing of the trigger varies widely in different regions and deer populations for several other reasons. But stories persist among hunters that the moon plays a role. In 2007, wildlife biologist Rod Cumberland was the deer management biologist for the small Canadian province of New Brunswick, which borders the state of Maine, and Rod wanted to study the moon’s effect on deer breeding dates. He already had a great data set at his disposal.

From 1997 to 2005, biologists with New Brunswick DNR visited the sites of reported deer road-kills to collect biological data, including fetal measurements from pregnant does. The measurements, taken with a fetal scale invented by QDMA founder Joe Hamilton, allowed biologists to age each fetus to determine the precise conception date. With more than 1,600 does providing fetal data across nine years, the enormous sample size was more than adequate for Rod to draw sound conclusions.

The chart above depicts that data. The bars represent the percentage of each year’s sample of does bred per week from late October through the end of December. The moon images are placed on the exact dates of full moons for each year. The mean (or average) conception date for each year is indicated on the chart by the white triangles, with the exact date given.

It’s immediately clear: Despite the moon’s widely rotating cycle of full-phase dates, the majority of does were bred during the last two weeks of November and first week of December almost every year. The mean or average “center” of the breeding fell within a 7-day period every single year, and for eight of the nine years it fell in the same 4-day period: November 26-29.

Remember, this is not to say that the best hunting weather, the most deer movement or the most chasing activity happened on these dates. These are the dates when does were actually bred. If you want to be in the woods of New Brunswick when the most does are in estrous, you’re safe taking your vacation the last week November, year in and year out, no matter what the moon looks like.

If you’re still a doubter, luckily New Brunswick DNR isn’t the only agency that has collected large sets of breeding data like this. Researchers at the University of Georgia, led by David Osborn and Dr. Karl V. Miller, dug up data from more than 2,500 does from wild populations in South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi, Missouri, Maine, Minnesota and Michigan. They found between 3 and 19 years worth of data for each population, but they did not find a correlation between moon phase and timing of breeding at any of the locations. In their summary, the researchers wrote:

“Our analysis revealed that the relationship between annual breeding dates and moon phase chronology was highly variable. Therefore, we believe it is not necessary to revise the conventional understanding among deer biologists that breeding dates are primarily influenced by photoperiod (day length) and are relatively consistent among years within a particular population.”

Yes, deer movement patterns can be influenced by moon phase. Researchers have found that the timing of daily deer movement fluctuates slightly with certain moon phases, and you can watch a QDMA video interview with researcher Marcus Lashley about this topic. Science has also shown that deer movement patterns can be affected by extreme weather, acorn crops, and herd health factors. But when these factors change the amount or timing of movement witnessed by hunters, they are not changing breeding dates. Year in and year out, peak breeding dates are remarkably consistent at a given location, regardless of variables like moon phase and weather.

So, if you’re looking for a rut prediction for the region you hunt, don’t look at the moon. Look at peaks in breeding activity in previous seasons. Chances are excellent that most does will come into estrous right around the same time every fall, and if that timing aligns with great weather and other variables that improve movement, drop everything and get to the woods!

http://www.qdma.com/articles/no-link-between-moon-phase-and-rut-peak

Re: The rut #8574
10/22/2014 06:30 PM
10/22/2014 06:30 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Most of my big deer have been taken between October 28 - November 9th.

Be ready.....

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: The rut #8575
10/27/2014 09:55 PM
10/27/2014 09:55 PM
hour away
skeeterowner Offline
Hoosier Hunter
skeeterowner  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hour away
Great theories by all and I believe to each. I love the moon phases just like bass fishing. Giving cloud cover 3days before 3days after. I see kill or catch my biggest. In my head? Who knows. But I know we all love to be there no matter what time. Interesting thread! The moon phases control some if not the most powerful things on earth. Water tides ect.. And dare I say some of our better halves (Polarity)!! Not headache. Stay safe and no matter what hit your mark! Good Luck

Rip some lips and shoot some sticks

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance