08/11/2014 07:57 PM
08/11/2014 07:57 PM
Mid Indiana
Z
ZGreenhorn14 Offline OP
ZGreenhorn14  Offline OP
Z
Mid Indiana
I will be hunting in my first season this year. Seeking guidance from my fellow hunters. Any tips will be appreciated. This question is broad intentionally.

I have my own land to hunt on. It has never been hunted. Lots of cover, food source, & water source. I have scouted it out & have seen 1 large doe & other deer sign.

Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7128
08/11/2014 09:51 PM
08/11/2014 09:51 PM
Fulton Co.
B
bowhunter2007 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bowhunter2007  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Fulton Co.
Congratulations, your about to be addicted to (I'm my opinion) the best sport to be apart of. Now where to start, how big is your property? What does it consist of? Bow hunting or gun hunting? Treestands or ground blinds? There is a vast amount of information out there, I'm sure the guys on here will help out as much as they can. A couple things, hunt the wind, your success will be much greater and hunts much more enjoyable when your not getting busted from downwind deer. Be proficient with your weapon. The last thing you want to do is go out and wound an animal because you've not put in enough practice with the weapon your taking out to the field. Have fun, don't make a job out of it or it will quickly become unenjoyable.

Elite Ritual 33
Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7129
08/12/2014 05:17 AM
08/12/2014 05:17 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Sounds like a great spot. You need to invite me over to help you hunt it. =)

Find where they bed and where they feed and setup down wind of their travel routes.

I suggest getting a climber stand and try to move around and hunt different spots so the deer don't pattern you. I always seem to have the best luck when hunting a spot for the first time.

When you hunt the same permanent stand day after day the deer catch on quick, especially the mature bucks.

Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7130
08/12/2014 05:33 AM
08/12/2014 05:33 AM
Greenwood, Indiana
T
traditionalarcher17 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
traditionalarcher17  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
Greenwood, Indiana
Be patient. Don't expect it to be anything like the crap they show on tv. Appreciate the time and place you have to hunt, soak up every experience and learn from every hunt. Trust me you will have highs and lows everytime out. You may take your lumps this first year but I promise you the things you learn will stick with you forever. Good luck and like everyone said the wind is your best friend and worst enemy.

Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7131
08/12/2014 06:18 AM
08/12/2014 06:18 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Depending on the size of the property, determine how to best get to your hunting spot without having to cross much of the property. My point would be that if it's a small woods, hunt the edges and don't go into the middle of the woods. If you have a food source, hunt the edges of it. When you consider putting up stands, assuming a fixed stand like a ladder stand, try to assess which was the wind typically blows and make sure the stand is downwind of where you expect the deer to show up. I like to use thick trees that have a lot of cover on them as opposed to clean trees where a guy sticks out and is easily seen. If it's a small woodlot and you think there is only one or two does using it, consider not shooting them until after the rut is over because you want them still there to bring in the bucks during the rut. And spend a lot of time this fall before season watching the property without disturbing it if possible.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7132
08/12/2014 06:26 AM
08/12/2014 06:26 AM
Randolph County
M
Magnum hunter Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Magnum hunter  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
M
Randolph County
Hello H.H.

Tip #1: Don't waste your money on attractants!!!
Tip #2: Buy more tree stands so you have more locations to hunt.
Tip #3: Food plots are an idea for the season!
Tip #4: A tending grunt and snort wheeze works good on a buck from early to mid-November.
Tip #5: The best time to hunt is pre-rut and the rut.
Tip #6: Scouting deer during summer is helpful, if not then trail cameras are really worth your money!!!
Tip #7: Setting tree stands along commonly used deer trails are good ideas, as well as cutting out at least 3 shooting lanes along the deer trails so you have a clear shot at any deer.
Tip #8: Be as stealthy as possible!
Tip #9: Wear plenty of warm clothing, and spray yourself with dead down wind no-scent spray.
Tip #10: Have fun in the stand and kill a big buck!!! laugh laugh laugh

"The more I live, the more I learn. The more I learn, the more I realize, the less I know."
Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7133
08/12/2014 10:49 AM
08/12/2014 10:49 AM
Richmond (Webster)
B
bean Offline
Hoosier Hunter
bean  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Richmond (Webster)
All good info above. Not much to add except know every time you go out it is a blessing. Learn by being out there, learn by being mentored, learn by reading about deer habits, anatomy, and seasonal traits/food sources. Practice - then practice some more with whatever weapon you hunt with. ALWAYS hunt w/ the right wind. Have someone in place to help you track a deer and help you field dress one or two - this will be a great help. Find someone on here that is close to help. Lot of great guys on here.

You will experience more than deer. Enjoy the squirrels, turkeys, etc... Be anal about safety and ethics. Hunt with integrity (who you are when no one is looking) as you represent us all.

Good luck.

Fishing and honeybee time
Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7134
08/12/2014 12:50 PM
08/12/2014 12:50 PM
The Swamps of South Ga!
BowBo Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BowBo  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
The Swamps of South Ga!
Very well put bean!

Welcome Greenhorn, to HoosierHunting,
and to Whitetail Affliction!! laugh

Just call me Bo!
In the Spring I Strut ~ In the Fall I Rut!
Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7135
08/12/2014 03:35 PM
08/12/2014 03:35 PM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
Deer's sense of smell is better than you can imagine. Welcome to the forum.

Followed by Buzzards
Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7136
08/12/2014 05:16 PM
08/12/2014 05:16 PM
B
Bowmadness Offline
Bowmadness  Offline
B
All good suggestions. I'll add some more. Allow for plenty of time getting to your stand. When you get within a 100yds, take a couple steps, then wait 20-30 seconds. Take a couple more. Read as much info as possible on deer tracking and shot placement. Your first instinct will be to get your hands on the deer, but patience is key if you don't get to see the deer drop. Once you bump a wounded deer, it is very tough to find. Practice, practice, practice. This sounds obvious, but when your adrenaline is pumping, it will add to your confidence. If you don't have a good shot, don't force it. There is more honor in passing an iffy shot, than wounding a deer on one you shouldn't have taken. Lastly, there is no shame in taking a doe. It is a vital part of management, great tasting, and an old wiley doe can be as tough to hunt as a mature buck. I say this because with all of the marketing, it's easy to get fixated on big bucks when you are starting out.

Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7137
08/13/2014 03:36 AM
08/13/2014 03:36 AM
Somewhere in Hancock County
J
johnc911 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
johnc911  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Somewhere in Hancock County
Patience Patience Patience, it took me years to become a bad *** hunter wink

Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7138
08/13/2014 06:58 AM
08/13/2014 06:58 AM
Mid Indiana
Z
ZGreenhorn14 Offline OP
ZGreenhorn14  Offline OP
Z
Mid Indiana
You guys are fantastic! This is all wonderful information. I have grown up shooting guns & bows. Always outside doing something & definitely observing nature. Seems I'll enjoy hunting as I like to be alone, quiet, & I'm very patient. I'm getting more excited about hunting from what you have said.

Any tips on what to wear ie from head to toe? I have read about all different ways to eliminate human smell. Also, using paint to cover features, etc. Maybe it's simple as get camo clothes, cover scent, & go hunt?

Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7139
08/13/2014 07:26 AM
08/13/2014 07:26 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I think general camo works fine and you sure don't need the expensive stuff. Cover scents are ok but just keep the hunting clothes, and boots, clean with scent free soap. Playing the wind is the key issue in my opinion and trying to get to your stand without "walking around" and leaving scent. This stuff is much more important for bow hunting then gun hunting if you have a situation where your gun hunting and intending to take 100 plus yard shots. Movement and general concealment on the stand are probably more important then the camo, again, in my opinion.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7140
08/13/2014 08:22 AM
08/13/2014 08:22 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
You have already received tons of great tips...here are a few more......

1. If you are going to be in a treestand, always use a safety harness.

2. I don't care so much about the pattern, but wear clothes that keep you warm and dry. The same goes for boots. If you get cold and/or wet, you will want to leave.

3. Have fun.

4. If you are going to be in a treestand, always use a safety harness.

Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7141
08/13/2014 09:01 AM
08/13/2014 09:01 AM
The Banks of the Wabash
Cornfed Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Cornfed  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
The Banks of the Wabash
Originally posted by jjas:
You have already received tons of great tips...here are a few more......

1. [b]If you are going to be in a treestand, always use a safety harness.

2. I don't care so much about the pattern, but wear clothes that keep you warm and dry. The same goes for boots. If you get cold and/or wet, you will want to leave.

3. Have fun.

4. If you are going to be in a treestand, always use a safety harness. [/b]
^^^^+1^^^^

I would also suggest that you define "success" before you ever go out. It's different for everybody. The treestand is a seat in an amazing classroom, and Mother Nature is an amazing teacher. If I come home and I've learned one new thing....to ME that's a successful hunt. Anything more than that is icing on the cake.

"Take your bow and a quiver full of arrows, and go out into the open country to hunt some wild game for me."
Genesis 27:3 (NLT)
Re: Beginner needs guidance/tips #7142
08/13/2014 09:11 AM
08/13/2014 09:11 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
don't buy into the marketing hype. Scentlok does not work and has been proven a scam in court.

Get some camo within your budget. I hunt in army surplus BDU's sometimes in the early season. Tey are made very well and can be found cheaply online. I prefer a facemask, not paint.

I have killed deer while wearing flannel shirts also....staying still at the critical moment is the best "camo" there is. Hunt the wind, into or quartering into your face. The sense of smell is the whitetails greatest defense.

Originally posted by ZGreenhorn14:
Any tips on what to wear ie from head to toe? I have read about all different ways to eliminate human smell. Also, using paint to cover features, etc. Maybe it's simple as get camo clothes, cover scent, & go hunt?

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 34 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance