03/12/2014 05:02 PM
03/12/2014 05:02 PM
Hamilton County
DFA Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
DFA  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Hamilton County
Prefer SE (Franklin etc) but open to Central and South Central Indiana. Nothing on the Ohio etc or Way North. I live in Hamilton Co. Prefer deer and spring turkey opportunities.

If you have a lead PM me.

Noth sure if this is the right spot for this but assume it would get the most traffic.

HLN is thin with available leases and Base Camp had zero that caught my interest and priced reasonably.

Consistent luck is nothing more than hard work and preparation.
Re: Looking for an available lease #6101
03/13/2014 04:42 AM
03/13/2014 04:42 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
you might check out this operation. I know nothing about them so this is not an endorsement...

http://treehuggerleasing.com/

Re: Looking for an available lease #6102
03/13/2014 05:25 AM
03/13/2014 05:25 AM
Hancock County
G
gwinnman Offline
gwinnman  Offline
G
Hancock County
My two cents.....
You really need to become a member for Basecamp Leasing. Its something like $125 buck for the year. This allows you to see new leases a week before non members. Believe me when I say potentially good leases go quick. We tried baseamp without becoming member and lost out on some really (potentially) good looking properties. To be honest we couldn't believe how fast they go.

The $$$$ per acre is another story. I never really compare prices anymore because we finally found property we really like.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6103
03/13/2014 06:46 AM
03/13/2014 06:46 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
The leasing future is an interesting one. I don't know of any leases available but certainly will let you know if I hear of one. The hunting experience of the future will be much different. For instance, you can go to Kentucky to a couple of outfitters, fair chase, and hunt 3 to 5 days and pretty much be assured a shot at a 140's buck. Certainly not saying that is the experience some folks want, but a good property may cost the same in regard to cost of lease and have not the volume of deer or "quality" of bucks. The future will be interesting especially if EHD continues and leased properties lose most of the deer inventory. The future may not be year round leases.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Looking for an available lease #6104
03/13/2014 07:39 AM
03/13/2014 07:39 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Dave,

Yes, the economics are quite interesting.

base camp was first to market here and has been skimming the market charging very high (ie ridiculous) prices per acre. Lots of competitors are popping up each year so this will be good for hunters and help to bring down lease prices for hunters. Free market economics at work.

Right now demand seems to be outpacing supply (see gwinnman's post) so many new firms are getting into the game, which will of course drive prices down. Some firms will make it, some won't.

If/when I lease I will try to find and negotiate my own lease and leave the middleman (and his big commission) out of it. Information about who owns what is freely available if you know where to look for it.

You are a Purdue grad and bright business guy so you understand it. =)

Re: Looking for an available lease #6105
03/13/2014 07:57 AM
03/13/2014 07:57 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Yep, those IU guys probably don't have a clue! laugh

Seriously though. There are a couple of outfitters in Kentucky, probably more then that, that provides tremendous accommodations, unbelievable food and has some truly great hunting. Its obviously not the same as going out west on a hunt, but really could be the future of whitetail hunting even in the midwest. There is one guy in Kentucky that apparently pays up to $40 an acre for habitat in a specific county where he already controls 41 farms and then he runs 3 to 5 day hunts during gun only and seemingly has a pretty good inventory of deer. He posts year round to supposedly give his clients an idea as to what the inventory is. He does not book any TV personalities and doesn't allow filming or even allow residents of that county to book with him. The models of the future will be much different as the industry matures then what the current leasing companies are doing here in Indiana.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Looking for an available lease #6106
03/13/2014 08:07 AM
03/13/2014 08:07 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Right, I suppose it depends on what kind of experience someone is looking for. If the top priority is putting a tag on a 140+ buck and staying in nice lodging while you do it, then this is probably the best route to go.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6107
03/13/2014 08:09 AM
03/13/2014 08:09 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Who wants to hunt only 3-5 days ?? I sure as heck dont.....I would want access year round, with the availability to work food plots....I'm going Sunday(I hope, if I can change a day off) to look at a lease in Wabash county...thru basecamp/ buddy is a wallhanger memeber, I'm a basic........There hasnt been squat up north here popping up...it would be nice to have a place for turkey's too....However, Wabash took a huge hit in its deer harvest last season....'prolly EHD took its toll.... as it is one of the confirmed counties....they dropped from 1700 total deer in 2012 to only 1185 in 2013.... we'll see....

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: Looking for an available lease #6108
03/13/2014 08:17 AM
03/13/2014 08:17 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I understand and can agree with your guys comments but if you put the other hat on, that of a landowner, you might see how a major effort in a localized area could create large continuous tracts that are leased and provide hunting in the manner that I've seen in some other states. I think my suspicion is that in the future, a few years away for sure, the experience will be redefined from what many of us old guys desire. It really won't be that difficult for someone who has some base investment funds available to do something in Indiana.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6109
03/13/2014 01:56 PM
03/13/2014 01:56 PM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Run an add in the local newspaper in the area you want to lease. List the sportsman groups you belong to and a contact number (call collect). I will bet you have more land than you want to hunt.

Land owners want to make money on their land....

You want insuranse..... get a few guys together who are NRA members ad form a "hunting club". NRA offers CHEAP insurance....

Get "Creative" folks, Base Camp Leasing has done it and leads in locking up property.......

Duplicate the "model" and prosper.......

When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....
Re: Looking for an available lease #6110
03/14/2014 03:13 AM
03/14/2014 03:13 AM
K
Kyle E Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Kyle E  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
K
Try knocking on doors because that's a lot cheaper

Re: Looking for an available lease #6111
03/14/2014 03:25 AM
03/14/2014 03:25 AM
Hamilton County
DFA Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
DFA  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Hamilton County
Trying the go it myself route. Yea I have lil interest in padding the pockets of BC. Figured I'd post this topic to see if anyone had or was willing to share a lead. I've no inherent interest in giving away money haha...
I've spent lot of time considering buying a tract of recreational or mixed use ag land. The main problem is the biggest bang for my buck would generally be 2 plus hrs away. Lots of land for cheap on or near the Ohio. If I could find a reasonable lease it seems logical vs spending the money to own a larger tract, maybe 80-120 acres. I can assure u I won't be paying 3200 + dollars for 50-80 acres on a lease. That's laughable.

All of you have good points. I agree it seems demand is outpacing supply.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6112
03/14/2014 04:43 AM
03/14/2014 04:43 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Originally posted by Kyle E:
that requires too much work for many in todays society of instant gratification.

lease prices keep going like they are I might have to start leasing my place out for gun season lol

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: Looking for an available lease #6113
03/14/2014 04:50 AM
03/14/2014 04:50 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
DFA, sent a PM to you.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6114
03/14/2014 04:52 AM
03/14/2014 04:52 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
not everyone has a likeable personality and a trust worthy face like you, Kyle! =)

Re: Looking for an available lease #6115
03/14/2014 05:55 AM
03/14/2014 05:55 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
I have thought the Same TD the Prices payed are unbelievable I heard of one outfit..... Indiana Archery Whitetail 3 Days $1500 ... just to drop you off with your own stand and pick you up later you find your own lodging and meals

Re: Looking for an available lease #6116
03/14/2014 06:14 AM
03/14/2014 06:14 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
Originally posted by trapperDave:
[b] Try knocking on doors because that's a lot cheaper
that requires too much work for many in todays society of instant gratification.[/b]
Guess I'm failing to see the correlation? confused

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Re: Looking for an available lease #6117
03/14/2014 06:56 AM
03/14/2014 06:56 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
We are simply in the process of redefining the personal value of recreational hunting. It's all about personal prioritization of disposable income. My point would be that if landowners and hunters wish to increase the monetary value of the recreation why shouldn't the DNR do the same. Thus, a buck tag should cost 100 dollars. It will all eventually change the demographic of those who are hunting.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6118
03/14/2014 07:00 AM
03/14/2014 07:00 AM
P
Parke Offline
Parke  Offline
P
DFA, I have a good contact in western Jefferson Co. The landowner has multiple farms he leases every year. I've leased from him in the past and had good success. pm sent

Re: Looking for an available lease #6119
03/14/2014 07:09 AM
03/14/2014 07:09 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
I saw one tiny little property lease last year for $1500

I hunt the same turkey and deer right over the fence on public and it doesn't cost a dime, yet guys pile onto this lease while the public has nobody hunting it...

Originally posted by THROBAK:
I have thought the Same TD the Prices payed are unbelievable I heard of one outfit..... Indiana Archery Whitetail 3 Days $1500 ... just to drop you off with your own stand and pick you up later you find your own lodging and meals

Re: Looking for an available lease #6120
03/14/2014 04:13 PM
03/14/2014 04:13 PM
Indpls,Indiana,US
F
ferb55 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
ferb55  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
F
Indpls,Indiana,US
Well I thought I might jump in here and swim around a little.

First let me state, I am in favor of everyone finding the perfect spot and enjoying whatever it is they want out of their hunting experience.

I have worked for Base Camp and I understand the comments that some have made regarding prices. They may "seem" high or ridiculous to some. However, the market is not dictated by BCL, it is dictated by the people who pay the price. In northern Indiana, I was 100 percent leased. That means, by any logical economics model that the prices were not too high. I can tell you also, that in nearly every single situation it was a group of blue collar, family type hunters that simply decided to hunt a nice tract of land, they would pay the landowner before they paid Cabelas, Dodge, Mathews, Nikon ...you get the picture.
Does a company like BCL make money..of course. They are simply a broker. no different than a real estate broker. Its that simple.
Can you find a landowner and arrange a lease. you bet! it will take some work, but it is surely worth it.
I would advise that you buy insurance...from the AHLA..not the NRA. (might be a little prejudice there). Get a signed lease agreement and work a price the works for you.
As for the leasing in general, I believe it is the future of hunting. Maybe it takes a different shape slightly, but the facts are it is too beneficial for all parties for it not to work.
I would never consider paying $1500 for a 3 or 5 day hunt. Thats not even hunting. I will pick up an egg mcmuffin on my way to hunt the stand that I hung, I know who hunted it last week, I will access it the way I like and hunt as long as I want. AND..I will plant food plots, run trail cams, turkey hunt, squirrel hunt, shed hunt, archery hunt, gun hunt, muzzleloader hunt, cross (whoa almost went to far!). I will have full year round access to my lease and will enjoy it for a fraction of a guided hunt.
My lease in Decatur county was a very nice piece of land. 205 acres. All huntable. 4000. Split it 6 ways and paid just under $700 for all of the above hunting.
I am sorry, but leasing is not evil. It makes sense for the landowner and definitely made sense for me and my group.
This was not meant to fan any flame, simply my take on what it will take to hunt exclusive land going forward.
Take care everyone and hunt safe.

Chief Operating Officer
American Hunting Lease Association
Re: Looking for an available lease #6121
03/14/2014 04:23 PM
03/14/2014 04:23 PM
Mooresville Indiana
W
Weedhopper Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Weedhopper  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
W
Mooresville Indiana
Good post, Ferb! While not all will agree, what works for one, will not work for everybody. Thanks for the insight! cool

Brew coffee....not tards
Re: Looking for an available lease #6122
03/14/2014 05:03 PM
03/14/2014 05:03 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
All of this is perspective. I agree with a lot of what you say Ferb. And, I don't find leasing evil. although I wish it weren't happening. Depending on what a person wishes in regard to hunting experience and harvest opportunity, two hundred acres may not be enough land to create the situation that many might wish to create because surrounding landowners on a piece that small can have a significant impact on that property and the deer available. Additionally, if a guy pays for a lease and EHD hits really hard, then that too can leave a very bad situation. The problem with the middleman in these leasing situations is they provide nothing more then access, unless I don't understand the model. And eventually, in true farm country, the majority of the land will be owned by large trusts, managed by Wall Street, and those trusts will hire their own leasing agents and if the investors in the trust don't want the vast properties hunted, they won't be hunted at all. Hunting in those areas will be at risk twenty years from now.

Now, $1,500 for a thee day hunt may provide a more "quality" hunt to many because they might actually see a lot more deer, have a much better opportunity to harvest a deer of the size they wish to harvest and have, in essence, a sense of a vacation with tremendous hospitality, great food and potentially a very good memory created. As we have seen from many, many comments over the couple of months, there are quite a few guys who hunted hard throughout the season, probably spent a lot of money on gas and such and had a horrible experience. Hunting is simply being redefined in many ways.

If the sport continues where its headed, you will see outfitters start posting pictures throughout the year of their managed properties showing their inventory of deer. Some are already doing this. There are also a growing number of people, in my opinion, that don't want to sit in a tree every weekend and when they run the numbers and put a value on a 3 to 5 day hunt, $3,000 isn't much if the experience is good. Heck, take a three day trip to Chicago, stay in a nice hotel, go to a nice dinner every night and you likely have spent close to $1,200 for that. I believe that in the next twenty years, hopefully I'm wrong, that a huge percentage of folks hunting today won't hunt any longer because the sport will price them out. Good for the landowner and good for those with the disposable income to spend on hunting. What I've learned from following a couple of outfitters who offer 3 and 5 day hunts in "good" deer areas is that there is an abundance of guys who are willing to pay close to $3,500 to have the opportunity to see and possibly shoot a 150.

I hope everyone finds their place in wherever hunting is going.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6123
03/14/2014 05:04 PM
03/14/2014 05:04 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Ferb...

How many mature Deer/Bucks are you excepting to kill off that 205 acres every year?

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: Looking for an available lease #6124
03/15/2014 01:36 AM
03/15/2014 01:36 AM
Indpls,Indiana,US
F
ferb55 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
ferb55  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
F
Indpls,Indiana,US
Hilarious...up early this morning to go to Chicago! Taking my daughter out for her birthday. Heck, I may spend 1200 today!

Brew, we killed three the first year and two last year. That said, i dont' expect to kill more than one or two ever. One thing I learned from working at BCL is that there are way more hunters than I thought, that just want the experience of hunting. Honestly, they don't hang out on forums or probably show up much in surveys. Admittedly, the older I get the more I just enjoy seeing my buddies and meeting at the truck for lunch and chit chat.
BCL and Treehugger and HLN and all the new start ups, get more thank you notes and letters than you would believe. (I didn't realize it either)
More to come, thanks for the civility.
...and now I have to head north.

Chief Operating Officer
Re: Looking for an available lease #6125
03/15/2014 01:50 AM
03/15/2014 01:50 AM
Indpls,Indiana,US
F
ferb55 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
ferb55  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
F
Indpls,Indiana,US
If the sport continues where its headed, you will see outfitters start posting pictures throughout the year of their managed properties showing their inventory of deer. Some are already doing this. There are also a growing number of people, in my opinion, that don't want to sit in a tree every weekend and when they run the numbers and put a value on a 3 to 5 day hunt, $3,000 isn't much if the experience is good. Heck, take a three day trip to Chicago, stay in a nice hotel, go to a nice dinner every night and you likely have spent close to $1,200 for that. I believe that in the next twenty years, hopefully I'm wrong, that a huge percentage of folks hunting today won't hunt any longer because the sport will price them out. Good for the landowner and good for those with the disposable income to spend on hunting. What I've learned from following a couple of outfitters who offer 3 and 5 day hunts in "good" deer areas is that there is an abundance of guys who are willing to pay close to $3,500 to have the opportunity to see and possibly shoot a 150.

Everything in this paragraph is true and I agree.

However, if hunting heads toward paying #3500 for a three day hunt...doesn't leasing for a fraction of that per hunter actually make it more affordable for hunters?
Lastly, (wife is now reminding me that we need to leave)since my daughter wasnt' on our lease this year and wanted to hunt opening day, I found a place with some friends to take her for free. Private ground. We got walked in on 5 times in two hours! Never saw a deer. It wasn't worth the gas in the tank to hunt that opening day with my daughter.
My fault, but that won't happen again.

Chief Operating Officer
Re: Looking for an available lease #6126
03/15/2014 02:55 AM
03/15/2014 02:55 AM
Seymour
P
pav Offline
Hoosier Hunter
pav  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
P
Seymour
A couple notes on outfitted hunts. Never been on one myself, but have been affected by them.

I've bowhunted whitetails in Iowa five times. Private land hunts on a friend's family farm.
First four trips were fantastic. On the last trip, we learned that an outfitter had leased up the surrounding properties and was running six day hunts for his clients. We met the guy...and he was a nice guy who seemed to know a lot about his business.

Deer behavior on that trip was noticeably different than the previous four trips. They were definitely on edge and much more nocturnal. We saw fewer deer and those we saw spent a lot of time surveying the trees for hunters.

Similar story on my favorite elk area in Colorado. First three trips, we bowhunted bugling bulls that were very responsive to calling. Even on a bad day, you had 3-4 hours of action in the morning and 2-3 hours in the evening.

An outfitter moved into the area prior to our last trip. We were still into elk, but we had maybe 1-2 hours of action after first light and that was it. In two weeks, during the rut, we never saw a single elk on its feet during the evening hours. They waited until after dark to get up and start talking.

Point is, hunting pressure is hunting pressure whether you are hunting public land on your own or paying an outfitter for a short term experience. Leasing is a totally different ballgame. On the right lease, YOU control the hunting pressure. Just hope an outfitter doesn't move in next door! LOL!

There are none so blind as those who will not see.
Re: Looking for an available lease #6127
03/15/2014 03:05 AM
03/15/2014 03:05 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
First, spend that $1,200 on Chicago wisely and enjoy the weekend. Leasing with a group of guys certainly can be more affordable. I do think that that is the point. What's affordable and desirable will drive the future of hunting. It will bring like people together that will then accomplish their intended outcome. Frankly, deer and turkey hunting is simply catching up with other types of hunting such as upland birds and waterfowl where the best properties have long been leased and are very expensive. Sad in many ways, but it is what the next generations will experience.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6128
03/15/2014 04:58 AM
03/15/2014 04:58 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
and when you go to Chicago threw all the tolls PAY They WILL get you LOL

Re: Looking for an available lease #6129
03/15/2014 08:22 AM
03/15/2014 08:22 AM
P
Parke Offline
Parke  Offline
P
Ferb, I agree with what you're saying also. I honestly don't like that I have to lease but in my experience its the only way I could have a quality hunt. I had a great place in Parke 12 years ago. over 400 acres but the landowner allowed other guys to hunt. after getting stands stolen and getting walked in on too many times on beautiful November mornings I had had enough. i'd rather lease 200 acres than hunt public or even private where the landowner lets other guys hunt. its nice to have something that is yours. it sucks that you now have to lease but its either adapt or deal with the consequenses

Re: Looking for an available lease #6130
03/15/2014 10:46 AM
03/15/2014 10:46 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Parke, you are correct....I dont want to share... period !!... I'm stuck working this weekend so my hunting partner went to the Wabash County piece to look it over...I told him to be very picky, he knows what we want and what to look for, what questions to ask......if it isnt what we want, pass and we'll continue to look....

Re: Looking for an available lease #6131
03/15/2014 04:51 PM
03/15/2014 04:51 PM
Hamilton County
DFA Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
DFA  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Hamilton County
For those that sent me some info via PM I really appreciate it. Thanks so much guys.

This is a heck of a topic. Agree the Chicago trips are expensive haha had the daughter and family there last weekend for cheerleading

Re: Looking for an available lease #6132
03/15/2014 06:03 PM
03/15/2014 06:03 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Just make sure you can prosecute those that test you. The leases I have and properties I hunt ALL have "zero tolerance" enforced. You will reap a few "haters" ......and reap many "non-testers" ....... And as for the "haters".....they were going to hate you anyways whether you had a zero tolerance stance or not. I'd rather force their hand to be known....... wink

Just remember......your not leasing "to make new friends" in most cases.

"A good fence makes a good neighbor".

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: Looking for an available lease #6133
03/15/2014 06:35 PM
03/15/2014 06:35 PM
Cass County
S
Steiny Offline
Steiny  Offline
S
Cass County
I've been leasing in Illinois for five years now and have had nothing but positive experiences. We are killing some nice deer and having a bunch of fun.

Did 5 or 6 outfitted hunts over there prior to that and saw some big bucks, but never killed a deer on any of those hunts.

A decent 5 day hunt these days will run about $3500. I can hunt my lease about three times that many days in a season for half the price.

Leasing is the way to go for me.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6134
03/16/2014 08:34 AM
03/16/2014 08:34 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
My buddy liked the Wabash county lease....I'm hoping to go Tues and walk it...we have till Thurs. to make a decision.....my only problem is that it is a 2 hour drive for me....compared to 7 minutes for my old lease.....we could pass and see if something close pop's up, but it may never happen either....if we get it, I'll also have a place for spring turkey.....

Re: Looking for an available lease #6135
03/16/2014 08:43 AM
03/16/2014 08:43 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
It's mostly about neighbors Jeff, unless you have a very large tract. A two hours drive is something a lot of us have to do, you'll get used to it, but never like it. And, the thing I think some guys over look is the cost of that two hour drive. Heck, you could probably pay an additional $500 to $1,000 for a place locally and come out about the same considering gas and intangibles.

Re: Looking for an available lease #6136
03/16/2014 09:06 AM
03/16/2014 09:06 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
just wondering, how has this worked for you?

As I understand Indiana law, only the property owner (not leasee) can press trespassing charges.

Originally posted by Scarlett Dew:
Just make sure you can prosecute those that test you. ....

Re: Looking for an available lease #6137
03/16/2014 09:25 AM
03/16/2014 09:25 AM
owen county
G
gundude Offline
Watching Over You All
gundude  Offline
Watching Over You All
G
owen county
I've not read every post here but I gotta tell you I've only leased one piece of ground one year and that was when I was guiding for ducks on the river bottoms.. all the ground I have permison on now is from shaking hand with old farmers and offering to give them a hand now and then. I never ask about hunting for several months.. works out pretty well and all it costs is your time.

Life is hard. Its even harder If your stupid!
John Wayne.
Re: Looking for an available lease #6138
03/16/2014 10:07 AM
03/16/2014 10:07 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
The problem is finding a place locally.....I had a good one, taking 5 p&y class bucks from it over the 17 years....seen many more.... I killed easily over 50+ deer off of it thru the years...I talked to the new owner(son) last week and he is not going to lease it, to anyone..he will do as he did like last season, allow us to hunt it, but on a time frame and then allow his buddies to come on it... so ... I will not do a **** thing on it, no more cutting trails, no more food plots, etc...like I said, I dont like sharing....others tend to screw things up and that land cant handle a lot of pressure anyways.....that is why I despise hunting the state lands(F&W areas)...to many idiots....

Re: Looking for an available lease #6139
03/16/2014 10:09 AM
03/16/2014 10:09 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
76, I believe you are generally correct unless the lease specifically and expressly gives certain rights to the lessee. Now, IF the lessee can document and prove to a court that the trespass have inflicted damages on them as the lessee, I believe they have some recourse in court for those damages. This is where I believe there is a big disconnect in the leasing situation. I know of a situation where a guy leased a small tract and the coon hunters ran the woods often and he felt that that created an issue. Landowner apparently won't do anything about the coon hunters and the only recourse was to try to pursue financial, or lease cost, recovery in court from the coon hunters. Eventually, as leasing continues to grow, the dog runners are going to be facing more and more difficulties and I believe eventually there will be legal changes to dog running rules. These are the intangibles that a guy leasing has no feel about until he gets on the lease. It can be a major unknown flaw in leasing that leasing companies don't adequately address at this point in the business model. There's been a pretty good discussion about this on another national hunting site and the emotions run pretty high.

Also, after driving a lot of the different areas of the state in the last couple of weeks, the guys in "farm" country are either going to have to give up deer hunting or drive pretty long distances because the continued assault on habitat, small woodlots and fence rows and such, is truly unbelievable. The corporation that bought our farm will immediately look to remove the 15 to 20 acres of woods on the south end of the place that has always been the protected habitat for the deer once gun season started and we didn't allow fall plowing, which will now be done yearly.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 12 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance