Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Originally posted by maddogmech:
I try to give the deer on the spots that I hunt a variety of goodys too choose from. It consist of bird food, alfalfa,lucky buck and beet pulp, have not had any complaints so far. They seem to tear it up. But lately I have had with some issues with the yotes keeping them away from thier feed. Trying to get time to take care them.
[Linked Image]
If you have them coming in there on a regular basis, its an easy "fix"! cool

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5406
02/04/2014 03:58 PM
02/04/2014 03:58 PM
Mooresville,in.usa
M
maddogmech Offline
Hoosier Hunter
maddogmech  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
M
Mooresville,in.usa
Thats just it the times are so random, sooner or later tho!!!!

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5407
02/05/2014 06:17 AM
02/05/2014 06:17 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
We just got dumped on again last night here in Northern Indiana.......I measured another 12-13 inches of snow we got in the last 24 hours.

Going to set up a second feeder in some locations. The deep snow that has now covered the crusted snow due to the recent melt and then freeze again has made it very difficult on the birds.

Deer are still OK.....but this has been one HARD winter.....and it still isn't even near to being over. I see another 4-6 inches of snow predicted yet for Saturday!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5408
02/09/2014 03:27 PM
02/09/2014 03:27 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Deep Snow now for weeks on end.........solid 2-3 inches of ice at the base..........bad deal on wildlife, especially the birds up here. So with that in mind.......I headed out today to double up the feed in one location today.

Loaded up ready to go......

[Linked Image]

Unloaded and then load up the Mule........

[Linked Image]

Take the trail in....a little nervous due to the depth in areas........but the 4x4 Mule ate it up....

[Linked Image]

Arrive at feed site with one feeder close to empty....deep snow and ice floor everywhere....

[Linked Image]

Get the second feeder up.........and fluff up 2 bales of alfalfa for the deer with some corn......

[Linked Image]

Buffet style.........

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image] '

And the first customer as I wasn't even 2 feet from him....

[Linked Image]

By the time I was just 100 yards away from the feedsite.........7 deer were already in view coming in. They know the sound of that Mule. The deep snow doesn't bother me.......but the layer of ice under it does this year. Felt good to double up the feed in that particular area.

Thought I'd share some views of the day............

Site Administrator

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5409
02/09/2014 04:00 PM
02/09/2014 04:00 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I applaud the effort and commitment.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5410
02/10/2014 11:18 AM
02/10/2014 11:18 AM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
I was worried about the 8 or so Quail I have in one covey Threw some seed under a Multiflower rose 4 days went to replenish today The Quail had found it

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5411
02/10/2014 11:40 AM
02/10/2014 11:40 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by THROBAK:
I was worried about the 8 or so Quail I have in one covey Threw some seed under a Multiflower rose 4 days went to replenish today The Quail had found it
Good deal!!! cool

Site Administrator

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5412
02/10/2014 11:41 AM
02/10/2014 11:41 AM
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
I HAD 8 quail birds I was seeing on a regular basis on my coyote run every day……Saturday, I watched as a Coopers hawk made it 7! mad I thought the quail had made it when he lit down in the BS tangle of horse weeds, and rose bushes. The hawk went right in, and got him.

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5413
02/10/2014 12:13 PM
02/10/2014 12:13 PM
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Wish I had some quail to feed!

Ive been putting out old fashion oats for the rabbits around my house and they eat a pie pan full every night. h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5414
02/10/2014 01:46 PM
02/10/2014 01:46 PM
Camby
C
Cody.Query Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Cody.Query  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Camby
I see from you posts that you do a lot of habitat work. Why are the multiflora rose considered so bad? I know they are said to be invasive but I see several different species use them for cover and there isn't much that compares for providing thick cover. I see birds/rabbits/deer using it frequently for security cover. Is it just the fact it is supposed to be invasive?

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5415
02/10/2014 02:47 PM
02/10/2014 02:47 PM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
I found some old NWTF literature telling people to plant Russian olive for turkeys years ago. =)

Originally posted by Cody.Query:
[b] I was worried about the 8 or so Quail I have in one covey Threw some seed under a Multiflower rose 4 days went to replenish today The Quail had found it
I see from you posts that you do a lot of habitat work. Why are the multiflora rose considered so bad? I know they are said to be invasive but I see several different species use them for cover and there isn't much that compares for providing thick cover. I see birds/rabbits/deer using it frequently for security cover. Is it just the fact it is supposed to be invasive? [/b]

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5416
02/10/2014 03:22 PM
02/10/2014 03:22 PM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
MFR are extremely invasive and they go every not wanted these were where I had been seeing the Quail and were dead (by me) Go to Clifty Falls and Try to Hunt you will see real quick why MFR and Autumn Olive are not a good thing If you have either so will your neighbors for miles around LOL

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5417
02/10/2014 04:04 PM
02/10/2014 04:04 PM
Camby
C
Cody.Query Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Cody.Query  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Camby
We have several of both and they are right in the middle of where we kill our biggest deer every year. I've seen deer crawl to bed under them and all animals use them. I guess if I was looking to be a farmer they'd be bad but I'm not. We've had property 10 years and there is no place they have taken over where we can't hunt. And they won't grow at all in our hardwoods. Just seems odd to me they were once prescribed to be planted and now everyone preaches how invasive and detrimental they are.

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5418
02/11/2014 11:30 AM
02/11/2014 11:30 AM
Indpls,In US
J
jbwhttail Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jbwhttail  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indpls,In US
Cody:

Alot changes in what people think is good for wildlife and land management. Probably the biggest blunder ever was recomending Fescue grass. I don't know near as much as Throbak but I can tell you that there is a delicate balance of when you don't think you have a problem with MFR and Russian olive and when you know you have a problem.

I have both, the MFR has a fungus that is killing it. I'm not chemically treating it. The Russian Olive, I'm FIVE years trying to kill one area and it keeps coming back! All the while we are treating new areas. I'm finding new shoots each year in a woods that has total canopy coverage it does and will grow in a woods.

One day I hope to have my property look like Throbak's!

When science meets tradition there will be sparks.....
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5419
02/11/2014 12:04 PM
02/11/2014 12:04 PM
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
30 years ago the DNR recommended planting Kentucky fescue and autumn olive for wildlife.

Best way Ive found to get rid of autumn olive is to cut it in the fall when the saps going down and use Tordon on the stump. Bad thing about autumn is wildlife love the red berries and replant the bushes each time they defecate with the undigested seeds. Ive used Crossbow with some success but it doesn't seem to affect the mature bushes.

Salamonie wildlife biologist told me they bushhog the bushes off and immediately follow behind spraying the stumps with 50% mix of Round Up. h.h.

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5420
02/12/2014 09:39 AM
02/12/2014 09:39 AM
Terre Haute
sticksender Offline
Site Administrator
sticksender  Offline
Site Administrator
Hoosier Hunter
Terre Haute
Asian Bush Honeysuckle is my nemesis. It eats multiflora rose for breakfast !

--------------------
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5421
02/12/2014 10:12 AM
02/12/2014 10:12 AM
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
Originally posted by sticksender:
Asian Bush Honeysuckle is my nemesis. It eats multiflora rose for breakfast !
Me too!!!! MF rose is easy compared to that stuff! I have found that the bush honeysuckle is really shallow rooted, and a skid steer and tooth bucket will pull all but the biggest plants up by the roots easily. The bigger stuff needs cut with Tordon on it. Be careful with the Tordon. If you have desirable trees and plants really close, it will transfer through the roots, and get the stuff you want to keep…..like a 1/2 dozen 6" walnut trees……. :rolleyes:

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5422
02/12/2014 10:56 AM
02/12/2014 10:56 AM
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
I have all 3 of them and its been a S.O.B. of a time to get rid of the honeysuckle. They are in places that I cant get equipment into and the wildlife keep spreading the seeds. h.h.

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5423
02/12/2014 03:24 PM
02/12/2014 03:24 PM
Central Indiana
C
cedarthicket Offline
Hoosier Hunter
cedarthicket  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Central Indiana
The Asian Bush Honeysuckle is one of the worst invasive plants ever touted by various local, state, and federal wildlife and natural resource agencies (and conservation organizations). In my opinion, everyone who owns rural property (or who hunts or leases rural property) should learn what that "evil" plant looks like and do what you can to educate others to keep it out of your property of interest. If it is already there, please do what you can to get rid of it.

There are opportunities here to meet and work with your neighbors. You may get lucky and have a county Field Demonstration Project Day. However, some Indiana counties are so infested with Asian Bush Honeysuckle that I think the local government agencies have given up hopes of ever eradicating the bush from their county. And, I think that may have led some to not even put the effort into a Field Day, even though that would benefit some landowners who have not yet gotten the “plague.”.

But, do not give up. You (and hopefully your next door neighbors) can at least keep it under control. You do not want your young woods, cut areas, and wooded edges to become a jungle (no exaggeration) of Asian Bush Honeysuckle 10 to 15 feet tall. The plant can essentially crowd out a great number of beneficial native plants and young tree seedlings. In a Bush Honeysuckle Jungle they don’t have much of a chance of ever growing up to maturity. And, who wants to wait decades before existing trees can finally develop a canopy to at least stunt the Bush Honeysuckle, which will always try to keep a foothold on wooded edges and spread from there?

May all our hunts be safe, enjoyable, and deeply appreciated.
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5424
02/12/2014 04:18 PM
02/12/2014 04:18 PM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
good informative link here for any one interested.

http://www.in.gov/dnr/files/Bush_Honeysuckle.pdf

Originally posted by cedarthicket:
The Asian Bush Honeysuckle is one of the worst invasive plants ever touted by various local, state, and federal wildlife and natural resource agencies (and conservation organizations). In my opinion, everyone who owns rural property (or who hunts or leases rural property) should learn what that "evil" plant looks like and do what you can to educate others to keep it out of your property of interest. If it is already there, please do what you can to get rid of it.

There are opportunities here to meet and work with your neighbors. You may get lucky and have a county Field Demonstration Project Day. However, some Indiana counties are so infested with Asian Bush Honeysuckle that I think the local government agencies have given up hopes of ever eradicating the bush from their county. And, I think that may have led some to not even put the effort into a Field Day, even though that would benefit some landowners who have not yet gotten the “plague.”.

But, do not give up. You (and hopefully your next door neighbors) can at least keep it under control. You do not want your young woods, cut areas, and wooded edges to become a jungle (no exaggeration) of Asian Bush Honeysuckle 10 to 15 feet tall. The plant can essentially crowd out a great number of beneficial native plants and young tree seedlings. In a Bush Honeysuckle Jungle they don’t have much of a chance of ever growing up to maturity. And, who wants to wait decades before existing trees can finally develop a canopy to at least stunt the Bush Honeysuckle, which will always try to keep a foothold on wooded edges and spread from there?

Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5425
02/12/2014 04:52 PM
02/12/2014 04:52 PM
Central Indiana
C
cedarthicket Offline
Hoosier Hunter
cedarthicket  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Central Indiana
76chevy, thanks for posting the link that very concisely describes the problem with the Asian Bush Honeysuckle varieties. As you can tell I have deep concerns regarding this extremely invasive plant.

My apologies to the OP for getting off subject.

May all our hunts be safe, enjoyable, and deeply appreciated.
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5426
02/13/2014 02:08 AM
02/13/2014 02:08 AM
Boonecounty/hunt Hendricks
B
Boonecounty Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Boonecounty  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Boonecounty/hunt Hendricks
Have any of you guys tried to tackle "itch" weed? this stuff has taken over parts of my hunting area. Will bushhogging and spraying roundup eliminate this nasty stuff?

"When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect."
-Mark Twain-
Re: Time to give back.....get those feeders out.... #5427
02/13/2014 07:43 AM
02/13/2014 07:43 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Glyphosate will kill nettle and burns will help eliminate it or knock it back ....dont buy "Roundup", it is super expensive ...go to a feed store or Co-op and get a 2 gallon container of 42% "gly" or you can go to Keystonepestsolutions.com and purchase it....same for broadleaf killer and grass killers(Slay and Pursuit)

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 8 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance