12/27/2013 10:31 AM
12/27/2013 10:31 AM
porter county
countryboy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
countryboy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
porter county
My neighbors r the ones that own the 60 acres. Doesn't matter if u think it's to many or not. I simply disagree with your statement that u can drive around and not see any deer in the fields and that we don't have any deer. I disagree with u based on what I see everyday from my car window, my kitchen window and my neighbors success and observations on their land. As well as my on success on land in the area and other peoples success on harvesting deer. If in fact the deer numbers r down(certainly not to the level you claim) I'm kind of glad because I've hit two, or I should say I've had two run into the side of my car. Many more have come close. I routinely see deer hit and rotting on side of road. It's not the deer's fault and I'm not saying it's right but this county is no longer a rural area it's a suburb. I don't like it but that's what it is. If the DNR along with input from all the stakeholders have agreed to an acceptable number that benefits all parties (which is what I believe they have done) then it's a solid plan.

life is over when your dead until then you have more pain in store so take it like a man and give some back!
Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4583
12/27/2013 10:36 AM
12/27/2013 10:36 AM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
I don't believe harvest numbers are the best indicator. I believe tons of guys never check them in now since you can simply write your on tag to transport a deer home... which is fine with me. But I think managing it ourselves by not shooting if the deer seen is down in our given area or maybe going by reports of numbers of deer seen? I don't know. But I do believe what makes our surrounding states better is that they as a rule, aren't shooting every thing they see like we are. They've "grown up" a little and are a little more selective.

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4584
12/27/2013 11:03 AM
12/27/2013 11:03 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Countryboy...I call BS on much of what you say, there will be some roadkills for sure.... maybe your lucky enough to have a little honey hole, good for you, but kill off enough Does and you see your overall numbers plummet ....there is no doubting the fact that numbers of deer are falling.... and that is a fact and our head biologist even admits it...the problem lays is just how much does the DNR want the herd to dwindle > where is the cut off ? I'm a conservationist...not an executioner ..... If I'm back on the property that Ive leased for 17 years come 2014...Does are off limits until I start seeing an increase in numbers....a buddy of mine has done the same thing just down the road.......if I dont get the property back, you guys can kill 'em all, I wont care 'cause I'll have a bigger and better lease where there are deer and I can once again control what gets killed....I sick of neighbors killing everything that moves....never could stand the "if it's brown it's down" crowd .....

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4585
12/27/2013 11:22 AM
12/27/2013 11:22 AM
porter county
countryboy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
countryboy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
porter county
Not sure what your calling BS on but I know what I see everyday driving home. I stated that the numbers were probably down some BUT not to the level u stated which was can't even see a deer in the field. Isn't the point to reduce the numbers to an acceptable level so that everyone involved is satisfied? Not everyone wants 100's of deer around. Hunters aren't the only ones with a say in this. Farmers, drivers and yes insurance companies, like it or not, have a stake in this situation.

The cut off is whatever all the stakeholders have agreed to. No where did I say anything about being an "executioner" I'm truly happy u r a "conservationist" try not to be a "ethnocentric".

We certainly are not killing em all but making the statement that when "I leave u can kill em all cause I will be on a bigger and better lease" doesn't show the values of a conservationist. Like I said I simply do not agree with your statement about the numbers of deer in this area. I'm not attacking you just saying I don't agree. If I was going to attack you I would say something like, I'm tired of people that live in Chesterton coming to Jackson Township and leasing up land! Lol it was a joke Jeff!

life is over when your dead until then you have more pain in store so take it like a man and give some back!
Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4586
12/27/2013 12:50 PM
12/27/2013 12:50 PM
N.E. Indiana, Spitting distanc...
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Your money, your tag, kill what you want! h.h.

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4587
12/27/2013 01:09 PM
12/27/2013 01:09 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by THROBAK:
The Good news is Deer can Rebound very quickly if needed
+1... smile

No truer words have been spoken.... cool

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4588
12/27/2013 02:58 PM
12/27/2013 02:58 PM
CLINTON COUNTY
M
MOONBEAM Offline
MOONBEAM  Offline
M
CLINTON COUNTY
I have heard from a source that there has been 5 doe not checked in at all in warren. County bye one man these #s are never a counted for I really wish I knew the person that has do e this he would be turned in but not knowing the particular person I. Can't this does not help the situation none at all

It's when luck & oppertunity meet
Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4589
12/27/2013 09:25 PM
12/27/2013 09:25 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
I'm not going to get into a pissin' match... The deer numbers are down.....buck kills are way down so guys will now kill more Does and drop the herd even further and the DNR is still going to issue the amount of tags they are now, hunters need to realize what they are doing also impacts their neighbors....

Throbak, not quick enough....5 years is a loooong time deer hunting wise to wait for a rebound....IF they can....if the pressure stays on 'em year after year, they may not get a chance...Just look at Jasper/Pulaski and Kingsbury...their numbers have plummeted ....and they can and do use the late season gun antlerless
on those areas, they can use 1 bonus tag per hunter there...

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4590
12/28/2013 01:07 AM
12/28/2013 01:07 AM
hornharvester Offline
Hoosier Hunter
hornharvester  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
I wasn't going to hunt any more but a friend called me last night and ask me if I could kill him a doe. Normally I wont kill deer for another hunter but he is in bad shape health wise.

The only deer I took was on the 4th day of gun season I shot a doe that someone had shot her right front leg off just above the knee. I figured the yotes would get her, so bang! My hunting partner shot a buck we both were after, scored in the mid 150's.

I see 10-15 deer a sit with a lot of small bucks, basket rack 8's. Ive got two piebald doe. One is this years off-spring and the other will be 7 next year. She stays on the south side of my property most of the time.

I'm thinking next year I will take the 7 year old piebald doe and maybe have a full body mount made.

DNR can and does control the herd size by antlerless permits and hunters participation. Bottom line is hunt how you want, I do. h.h.

PS, Good Luck to all of you special anterless season hunters!

If you're not a hemorrhoid, get off my butt.
Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4591
12/28/2013 08:36 AM
12/28/2013 08:36 AM
John Scifres Offline
Hoosier Hunter
John Scifres  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
“That’s certainly the trend we’re seeing, I can see a time in the future, with the new seasons we have, that 8s start to go away.”
Chad Stewart, the DNR’s deer management biologist

I forgot about this article: http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/hunting/county-bonus-anterless-deer-quotas/

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4592
12/28/2013 11:01 AM
12/28/2013 11:01 AM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by John Scifres:
“That’s certainly the trend we’re seeing, I can see a time in the future, with the new seasons we have, that 8s start to go away.”
Chad Stewart, the DNR’s deer management biologist

I forgot about this article: http://www.eregulations.com/indiana/hunting/county-bonus-anterless-deer-quotas/
Good article....Thanks for posting it.

It's obvious that the state wants the herd reduced and the new regs/seasons are a part of the plan to reach those goals.

It will be interesting to see how it all pans out over the next few seasons.

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4593
12/28/2013 04:26 PM
12/28/2013 04:26 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Originally posted by Scarlett Dew:
Shoot all the does you want as Brew continues to advertise this DNR "over the top" deer reduction opportunity. The sooner we get "bottom of the barrel" low in deer #'s.....the sooner and more VERY LOUD complaining from deer hunters will come flooding in.......and the sooner and more confident approach the IDNR will take and have "grounds to stand on" as they shorten our gun seasons to help "medicate" the issue of complaints.

The sad part of this is........as we were headed towards lower #'s anyways with either Prop #1 or Prop# 2.......at least Prop # 1 considered having more Quality Deer left in the field to hunt with that approach. Pretty cool how the IDNR's first choice was to still want to retain Quality or even enhance it as the #'s started to fall to help keep sportsmen interested in deer hunting.......but "Joe Six Pack" hunter voted that well thought out plan off the table, and just thought about "themselves" and "today".......and in turn sacrificed a pretty cool plan the IDNR still calls their "first choice" known as Prop #1.

Prepare to circle back to that Prop # 1 gang....."joe six pack's" plan is backfiring "Big Time" ......and hunters are getting sick of what they are seeing already.

Don't write Chad Stewart and complain.....write your Legislators!!! Do it now as how this season is still fresh on your minds. Alot of us up North have already started these letters of complaint....and from the responses we are getting....we are NOT the minority any more.

Time to "pile on" and let your Legislators know we are Fed Up with goofball deer reduction plans forced upon our IDNR. Second choices they are forced into are NEVER as good as well thought out First Choices they had and wanted to roll out.

Keep encouraging/advertising the killing of doe opps we have Brew..... You are the perfect "horn".....no pun intended. LOL...

Write your Legislators gang......tell them your sick of this.....and roll back those guns....
You can't be serious.... You want the same dumb***** who would pass a bill allowing deer farms to manage our herd just because you don't like the current rules? Prop 1 is just as stupid as what you just said... Hunters spoke that they didn't want Prop 1 so accept it will you....

You don't have to shorten/change seasons, you have to change hunters mentality on deer... Let em go and they will grow...

Pretty easy concept to grasp...

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4594
12/29/2013 07:22 AM
12/29/2013 07:22 AM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
Let them go and they will grow! marvelous concept! PASS IT ON!

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4595
12/29/2013 09:17 PM
12/29/2013 09:17 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Been trying to do that for years...until some brown and down clown kills 'em off ....

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4596
01/02/2014 03:26 PM
01/02/2014 03:26 PM
Cass County
S
Steiny Offline
Steiny  Offline
S
Cass County
Pretty sad situation. I've got 140 acres of awesome habitat, cover and food plots. Ought to have 30 or more deer in these plots every evening right now, but there are only a few using them. It's by far the best food and cover in the neighborhood, but the deer just aren't here. I can provide habitat and protect a few, but soon as they step off the property, one of the neighbors whacks them regardless of size.

Reducing bag limits, dropping the late doe firearms season, and shortening the firearms and muzzle loader seasons would do wonders. With (45) days of firearms hunting, these deer don't get a break.

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4597
01/02/2014 03:41 PM
01/02/2014 03:41 PM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Steiny: When I talked to the guys at Rance's processing at Lake Cicott this year, they said they were told by CO's that there was a lot of EHD up there this year. Did you get hit by that?

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4598
01/02/2014 03:49 PM
01/02/2014 03:49 PM
Mt. Pleasant, In.
ParkerBow Offline
Hoosier Hunter
ParkerBow  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Mt. Pleasant, In.
Originally posted by Steiny:
Pretty sad situation. I've got 140 acres of awesome habitat, cover and food plots. Ought to have 30 or more deer in these plots every evening right now, but there are only a few using them. It's by far the best food and cover in the neighborhood, but the deer just aren't here. I can provide habitat and protect a few, but soon as they step off the property, one of the neighbors whacks them regardless of size.

Reducing bag limits, dropping the late doe firearms season, and shortening the firearms and muzzle loader seasons would do wonders. With (45) days of firearms hunting, these deer don't get a break.
Boys I have been whining about my low deer sightings for years but everyone just thinks i am a big tit bag. I have said it many times before, I spend more hours in a deer stand every season than most even care too and i only see a handful of deer. Now I hear the same stuff from a bunch of others. Sad situation but all the state cares about is the revenue deer tags produce. Welcome to my deer hunting world.

Re: The Special Antlerless Season... #4599
01/02/2014 06:13 PM
01/02/2014 06:13 PM
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Y
Yaz Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Yaz  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Y
Decatur County/Greensburg, IN
Originally posted by ParkerBow:
Originally posted by Steiny:
[b] Pretty sad situation. I've got 140 acres of awesome habitat, cover and food plots. Ought to have 30 or more deer in these plots every evening right now, but there are only a few using them. It's by far the best food and cover in the neighborhood, but the deer just aren't here. I can provide habitat and protect a few, but soon as they step off the property, one of the neighbors whacks them regardless of size.

Boys I have been whining about my low deer sightings for years but everyone just thinks i am a big tit bag. I have said it many times before, I spend more hours in a deer stand every season than most even care too and i only see a handful of deer. Now I hear the same stuff from a bunch of others. Sad situation but all the state cares about is the revenue deer tags produce. Welcome to my deer hunting world. [/b]
I'm with you guys! I work harder than most to improve our farm for wildlife and deer. Spent hours working, and $1000's to not kill a deer, and have neighbors reap the benefits. I'm over it. They are all singing the blues this year though, Only a couple of them have killed a deer in the 4 square mile block. They think I have them all "hiding" on our place. :rolleyes:

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 4 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance