Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
Had a friend ask me a few questions about the lease language for a couple of the leasing companies. So today I spent a little time looking through the various companies leasing documents. I must say that the language was interesting and left much to be desired in my opinion. Its kind of sad that most of the leases leave the hunters little recourse if something is not lived up to after the lease has been paid for, in my opinion. One company has arbitration language but the state named as the location for the arbitration was not Indiana, which is not a wise choice if you are living and leasing in Indiana. Be careful what you sign and realize that you may not have much of a way to protect yourself if there is constant trespassing, or the landowner doesn't live up to their commitment because it seemed like a lot of the leases didn't enable any prosecution rights or legally recovery of lease costs for the hunters to protect their investment. I told the guy to consider anything he paid as sunk cost and to realize that he appeared to have a very, very one sided agreement that he was considering, in my opinion. This is not intended to say or suggest leasing companies are bad or evil, just suggesting everyone read carefully what the language is saying.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Leasing Companies Leases #36550
03/09/2015 06:56 PM
03/09/2015 06:56 PM
Martinsville Indiana
H
HS Strut Offline
Hoosier Hunter
HS Strut  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
H
Martinsville Indiana
I've never leased but I've been told that the leasing company is working for/representing the landowner...not the hunter. I'm not implying that this is unethical, but as you said the hunter needs to understand what he's signing.
I've been told countless stories of showing up to hunt and people riding four-wheelers through the woods or even hunting often because they knew when the hunters were there. Then you gotta call the company, not the landowner, and that guy has your money. He doesn't care.
I'd be LIVID!

Re: Leasing Companies Leases #36551
03/10/2015 03:29 AM
03/10/2015 03:29 AM
Cass County
S
Steiny Offline
Steiny  Offline
S
Cass County
Leasing companies are getting out and doing what most hunters are unwilling to do. They are making direct contact with land owners and helping them earn a few more dollars per acre from their land. They advertise to hunters who don't have the time or interest in beating on doors to find these places, and make it pretty darned convenient if you don't mind paying a few bucks to hunt.

I've leased for (6) years now, two different farms from both Basecamp and HLN and have no negative comments on either situation. Have met the landowners and spoken to leasing agents and have never had any of the problems eluded to. We were concerned we might get some stands stolen, or might have local boys slipping in on our place, but have had no problems at all.

I'd agree, the contracts do favor the land owner over the hunter, but who can blame them? It's their ground, they write the rules. I really feel like if I had a drastic problem it could be worked out favorably. These leasing companies aren't going to screw over their paying customers, or they won't be in business for long.

Re: Leasing Companies Leases #36552
03/10/2015 05:49 AM
03/10/2015 05:49 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I would simply suggest that the contracts should more specifically define recreation, prosecution rights and recourse if the lessor violates the agreement. Actually, in a true business world, it would seem that half, or a portion, of the lease payment would be held in escrow until the end of the season to assure compliance on the lessor. Also, if there are "reserve rights", I'd make sure there was a definition as to what those were, for either party to the lease. No doubt that most of these transactions won't have any issues, but if a guy happens to get in one of the situations where there are issues like the lessors dogs running every day and night, lessor family members horse riding the property constantly, the property being sold and so on, the lessee has significant issues in getting recourse in my opinion.

"Fishing is like a one night stand, unless you're fly fishing, then you've encountered the romance of your life"
Re: Leasing Companies Leases #36553
03/10/2015 06:47 AM
03/10/2015 06:47 AM
Cass County
S
Steiny Offline
Steiny  Offline
S
Cass County
If you get to the point where you have to exercise your legal rights on a couple thousand dollar hunting lease, you're already screwed.

These companies aren't going to re-write their terms to suit one individual. If you don't like the deal or don't trust one of the parties, don't do it.

This is disposable income spent for recreation, much like any other vacation type activity. If something goes bad that the land owner or leasing agent could have controlled, bring it up to them and see if they will make it right. If not, chalk it up to experience, move on and find someplace else to hunt.

My experiences leasing have all been positive. Have had much more trouble in the past hunting places where access was free and granted to several hunters.

Re: Leasing Companies Leases #36554
03/10/2015 07:52 AM
03/10/2015 07:52 AM
Indianapois, IN, USA
D
delaney Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
delaney  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
D
Indianapois, IN, USA
I agree with your comments. That said, the business model could sure could use more "balance" in my opinion. It won't though unless the demand falls off. Much of this leads to the suggestion that if your're young, with many years left to hunt, or have money laying around that is purely disposable, buying a property might be a better strategy, which in itself still has issues.

Re: Leasing Companies Leases #36555
03/10/2015 01:30 PM
03/10/2015 01:30 PM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
all the landowner property info is online now.

http://www.wthtechnology.com/index.php/customer-websites/list-of-customer-web-sites

https://beaconbeta.schneidercorp.com/

Why not find the place and approach the landowner on your own?

Get a lawyer to write up a contract for you.

Cut out the middle man. Who seriously pays $200 bucks for some "annual membership" just to see properties available for lease?

Re: Leasing Companies Leases #36556
03/10/2015 01:33 PM
03/10/2015 01:33 PM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
I work with contracts from several hundred thousand to into the millions of $ daily.

Most of the leasing contracts I have seen are a complete joke that serve to protect the company and landowner interests. In most no recourse is spelled out for the hunters should the terms of the agreement be broken. In other cases, the terms are inadequately defined.

I do like the escrow idea.

Originally posted by delaney:
I would simply suggest that the contracts should more specifically define recreation, prosecution rights and recourse if the lessor violates the agreement. Actually, in a true business world, it would seem that half, or a portion, of the lease payment would be held in escrow until the end of the season to assure compliance on the lessor. Also, if there are "reserve rights", I'd make sure there was a definition as to what those were, for either party to the lease. No doubt that most of these transactions won't have any issues, but if a guy happens to get in one of the situations where there are issues like the lessors dogs running every day and night, lessor family members horse riding the property constantly, the property being sold and so on, the lessee has significant issues in getting recourse in my opinion.

Re: Leasing Companies Leases #36557
03/10/2015 01:42 PM
03/10/2015 01:42 PM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
with all the information online, you don't even need to beat on doors now. Find some parcels which look good and contact the landowners directly with an offer. They get more money in their pocket and both hunters and landowners save money by cutting out the middle man.

all the property owner info is online now.

http://www.wthtechnology.com/index.php/customer-websites/list-of-customer-web-sites

https://beaconbeta.schneidercorp.com/

Originally posted by Steiny:
Leasing companies are getting out and doing what most hunters are unwilling to do. They are making direct contact with land owners and helping them earn a few more dollars per acre from their land. They advertise to hunters who don't have the time or interest in beating on doors to find these places, and make it pretty darned convenient if you don't mind paying a few bucks to hunt.

Moderated by  BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 10 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance