09/21/2017 06:38 AM
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Stinger Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
Stinger  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
https://imgur.com/a/Pau2V

For over 5 years I thought... "what is beyond that little creek?". I wondered, but wasn't motivated enough to find out. I thought I would just wait until the creek froze over and then walk across it to climb the huge Berm and peer over the side to see "likely" the dozens of whitetail deer seemingly laughing at the hunters on public ground. That is where I would run to if people were trying to get me.

But the creek didn't freeze over that year and the drive was too far from the city to make my way out there in January or February.

In March and April, I thought I would buy a small boat and take it out there... or I would make my own. I watched a few videos but determined that it just wouldn't be practical.

This past weekend, I decided to park on Route 41 and see if I could walk around and scout this area, find a few spots for shotgun or muzzleloader season. I would go where no man would step foot. Today, I would scout that area, to see where the deer sign was.. and where I would ambush them in November.

I knew I would have to walk at least 700 meters through uninhabitable foliage and get bitten by mosquitoes and stung by bees and likely have the blood sucked out of me by ticks. I HAD TO KNOW what was in between the creek and the Kankakee River.

You can see it in the image - there is no way to get there, no way for man to get to this wonderful section of deer habitat. It looks swampy, it looks SAFE (to deer). When the shooting starts, the deer will run to their sanctuary, I know it. So I parked and walked and sweated and swatted those mosquitoes and bees and other flying varmints.

I saw perfect deer habitat including food and berries and sticker bushes (perfect for hiding and sleeping), but no deer.

I saw downed trees and dried up swamp but no deer, I walked silently and slowly peering between trees and watching for beds and tracks and doo doo and I spent an hour and a half just walking quietly hoping and wondering and strategizing... " if I were a deer, I'd be right THERE!... nope, nothing over there and no tracks. hmmmmm."

[img]https://imgur.com/a/Pau2V[/img]

I walked back to my truck completely drenched in sweat, deet, peppermint (deters ticks) and I changed clothes right on the highway (down to the skivvies) got in my truck and suddenly felt the most powerful sense of happiness I've felt in quite a long time.

That is why I love the outdoors. I'm built for it. Didn't see a **** deer, I got bit a bunch, walked through sticker bushes and bled and it was completely fruitless... to anyone watching that is. But I loved every minute of it... and luckily no ticks.

Deer Hunting since 1999 (Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana Antelope)

Marketing Guy in Chicago but grew up in Indiana/ Ball State.. blah blah blah.
Re: Sometimes Deer Aren't Exactly Where They Should Be #16739
09/21/2017 05:06 PM
09/21/2017 05:06 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
lol .....Ive set up in the most wonderful looking funnels/bottlenecks before, classic set ups, they just look deery.... and nothin' comes thru, figured, well, they just aint here today, sat again and nothing ....another day, tried it again, an all dayer and nothing.... WE as hunters know where the deer should be....someone just needs to let those deer know ...

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: Sometimes Deer Aren't Exactly Where They Should Be #16740
09/24/2017 07:20 AM
09/24/2017 07:20 AM
Camby
C
Cody.Query Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Cody.Query  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Camby
Deer are much like anything else. They'll take the easy/lazy route when possible. By that I mean.. why would they be in that mess right now? I imagine there are plenty of easier access places they can be right now.. unmolested. When the guns start going off and pressure is through the roof things could change dramatically.

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 31 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance