01/06/2017 06:24 AM
01/06/2017 06:24 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Indiana is known for many things. Auto racing, covered bridges and Amish craftsmanship are just a few notables that make the Midwestern state stand out. Indiana also sets on top of one of the largest concentrations of limestone on the planet, producing rich, quality soil needed for growing agriculture crops. The Hoosier State annually ranks in the top five for soybean production, helping fill the bellies of more than a half-million whitetails and adding impressive inches of bone to bucks’ antlers.

Zone1
Jody Marsteller Davies shot this giant buck on Nov. 7, 2015, in Putnam County.

But not all big ones are found in the limestone areas. There’s great trophy potential all over the state. Since the Pope & Young Club (P&Y) began recording North American big-game trophies taken by vertical bow, archers in Steuben County have registered the most qualifying whitetails (101), followed by Parke (97), Kosciusko (83), Ripley (79) and Vigo counties (78). More recently, bowhunters in Martin, Switzerland, Lake and Pulaski counties have been filling the record book.

In terms of being a trophy bowhunting destination, Indiana never has had the acclaim of some surrounding states, especially Illinois or Ohio. But that’s quickly changing — if not entirely because of bow kills. In 2012, Huntington County shotgun hunter Tim Beck bagged a 305 78-inch non-typical that shattered the overall state record and became the world’s No. 2 hunter-taken whitetail of all time. It’s safe to say that buck’s demise marked the end of Indiana being a “sleeper” state for big deer.

Bowhunters are downing their share of monsters, especially during the late part of the pre-rut phase. That’s just what Jody Marsteller Davies was trying to take advantage of on Nov. 7, 2015, even though she was running late for an afternoon hunt in Putnam County.

The wind direction dictated Jody hunt from a tree she’d named “Titled Cherry.” Just moments after ascending it with her climber, she encountered a buck that would put the cherry on top of her 2015 hunting season.

“He was only 30 yards away, but I wasn’t ready,” she recalls. “I grabbed my bow, nocked an arrow and got my release out of my backpack. Luckily, he’d come into a scrape and didn’t seem to notice me.”

Once Jody had everything ready, she waited for an ideal shot opportunity. When it finally came, her arrow traveled only 20 yards before toppling the buck she’d nicknamed Goliath. The huge deer scored 195 typical and weighed 270 pounds on the hoof!

Today, Indiana has about 29,000 archery hunters putting deer into the freezer. In 2015, hunters harvested 32,753 deer in archery season, representing 26 percent of the state’s overall harvest. That number was about 5 percent below the 34,600 taken in 2014. These totals include crossbow kills; hunters using traditional or compound bows bagged 20,227 deer. Antlerless deer made up 65 percent of the total archery harvest, with 10 percent of the total being button bucks (male fawns).

One likely reason the Hoosier State is growing so many trophy deer is the state’s 1-buck annual limit. If you bag an antlered deer in archery season, you’re done hunting them for the rest of the year. The one notable exception is that hunters in Reduction Zones (primarily urban areas) can bag an additional buck after shooting an antlerless deer. It’s a form of “earn-a-buck” program. The Reduction Zone season also is six weeks longer than the state’s regular bow season, opening Sept. 15 and ending Jan. 31.

Statewide, archery hunters pursuing whitetails during the firearms or muzzleloader season must wear fluorescent orange. And all hunters must register their harvested deer within 48 hours of the kill by visiting a check station, by calling 800-419-1326 (a $3 fee is charged) or by self-reporting online at: CheckINGame.dnr.IN.gov.

For more information on bowhunting in Indiana, go to: in.gov/dnr/fishwild. If you want to learn more about P&Y’s record listings for all North American big game, visit: pope-young.org.

http://www.northamericanwhitetail.com/indiana/zoning-in-on-indiana-whitetails/

Guardian Of The One Buck Rule & Gunseason
"Some people just need a good *** whoopin. It keeps the planets aligned"
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16110
01/06/2017 08:11 AM
01/06/2017 08:11 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
Shhhhhhh ... we have no deer left in Indiana.... Shhhhhh...

yea, just what we dont need...more non-res.... SMH ....

"Liberalism is a mental disorder"
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16111
01/06/2017 10:28 AM
01/06/2017 10:28 AM
John Scifres Offline
Hoosier Hunter
John Scifres  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
That was the last big one. Now all that are left are fawns and spikes.

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16112
01/06/2017 02:50 PM
01/06/2017 02:50 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
Shhhhhhh ... we have no deer left in Indiana.... Shhhhhh...

Why would non- res come here to hunt? The hunting sucks here and folks are getting out of hunting per the the Deer Harvest thread.... SMH

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16113
01/06/2017 03:34 PM
01/06/2017 03:34 PM
Southern Indiana
J
jjas Offline
Hoosier Hunter
jjas  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Southern Indiana
Originally posted by BREW...:
Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
[b] Shhhhhhh ... we have no deer left in Indiana.... Shhhhhh...

Why would non- res come here to hunt? The hunting sucks here and folks are getting out of hunting per the the Deer Harvest thread.... SMH [/b]
laugh

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16114
01/06/2017 05:41 PM
01/06/2017 05:41 PM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
I'll see your SMH and raise you two SHM's... :rolleyes:

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16115
01/07/2017 02:28 AM
01/07/2017 02:28 AM
Montgomery County
76chevy Offline
Hoosier Hunter
76chevy  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Montgomery County
Ohio has all the big bucks and cheap tags.

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16116
01/07/2017 04:37 PM
01/07/2017 04:37 PM
Hunt in Jasper County area / N...
S
Sharpshot Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Sharpshot  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Hunt in Jasper County area / N...
Well now lets see, Yes I, who am a non resident arrive in Indiana every year to hunt for the one in a life time. Over the past nine years I have taken one nice 154 inch buck and I missed one as well. Other then that I have donated my $300.00 every year to the state. Not to bad a investment for Indiana. lol.....

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16117
01/09/2017 04:08 PM
01/09/2017 04:08 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Indiana is known for many things. Auto racing, covered bridges and Amish craftsmanship are just a few notables that make the Midwestern state stand out. Indiana also sets on top of one of the largest concentrations of limestone on the planet, producing rich, quality soil needed for growing agriculture crops. The Hoosier State annually ranks in the top five for soybean production, helping fill the bellies of more than a half-million whitetails and adding impressive inches of bone to bucks’ antlers.

Zone1

But not all big ones are found in the limestone areas. There’s great trophy potential all over the state. Since the Pope & Young Club (P&Y) began recording North American big-game trophies taken by vertical bow, archers in Steuben County have registered the most qualifying whitetails (101), followed by Parke (97), Kosciusko (83), Ripley (79) and Vigo counties (78). More recently, bowhunters in Martin, Switzerland, Lake and Pulaski counties have been filling the record book.

In terms of being a trophy bowhunting destination, Indiana never has had the acclaim of some surrounding states, especially Illinois or Ohio. But that’s quickly changing — if not entirely because of bow kills. In 2012, Huntington County shotgun hunter Tim Beck bagged a 305 78-inch non-typical that shattered the overall state record and became the world’s No. 2 hunter-taken whitetail of all time. It’s safe to say that buck’s demise marked the end of Indiana being a “sleeper” state for big deer.

Bowhunters are downing their share of monsters, especially during the late part of the pre-rut phase. That’s just what Jody Marsteller Davies was trying to take advantage of on Nov. 7, 2015, even though she was running late for an afternoon hunt in Putnam County.

The wind direction dictated Jody hunt from a tree she’d named “Titled Cherry.” Just moments after ascending it with her climber, she encountered a buck that would put the cherry on top of her 2015 hunting season.

“He was only 30 yards away, but I wasn’t ready,” she recalls. “I grabbed my bow, nocked an arrow and got my release out of my backpack. Luckily, he’d come into a scrape and didn’t seem to notice me.”

Once Jody had everything ready, she waited for an ideal shot opportunity. When it finally came, her arrow traveled only 20 yards before toppling the buck she’d nicknamed Goliath. The huge deer scored 195 typical and weighed 270 pounds on the hoof!

Today, Indiana has about 29,000 archery hunters putting deer into the freezer. In 2015, hunters harvested 32,753 deer in archery season, representing 26 percent of the state’s overall harvest. That number was about 5 percent below the 34,600 taken in 2014. These totals include crossbow kills; hunters using traditional or compound bows bagged 20,227 deer. Antlerless deer made up 65 percent of the total archery harvest, with 10 percent of the total being button bucks (male fawns).

One likely reason the Hoosier State is growing so many trophy deer is the state’s 1-buck annual limit. If you bag an antlered deer in archery season, you’re done hunting them for the rest of the year. The one notable exception is that hunters in Reduction Zones (primarily urban areas) can bag an additional buck after shooting an antlerless deer. It’s a form of “earn-a-buck” program. The Reduction Zone season also is six weeks longer than the state’s regular bow season, opening Sept. 15 and ending Jan. 31.

Statewide, archery hunters pursuing whitetails during the firearms or muzzleloader season must wear fluorescent orange. And all hunters must register their harvested deer within 48 hours of the kill by visiting a check station, by calling 800-419-1326 (a $3 fee is charged) or by self-reporting online at: CheckINGame.dnr.IN.gov.

For more information on bowhunting in Indiana, go to: in.gov/dnr/fishwild. If you want to learn more about P&Y’s record listings for all North American big game, visit: pope-young.org.

Two good bucks cited in this article taken 4 years apart...... big whooptee dooooo............ Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio make us look like a "mud puddle" in inches of rack total taken EACH year. Nice Link Brew.......LOL!!

Now find a link that compares to Indiana what Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio bring home in TOTAL inches of rack/entries available due to their AWESOME Regs EACH year..... and not have to wait for 4 years to reference "2 bucks" cool

Also....... the article mentions nothing about how our Hoosier Record Book entries are on a free fall the several years due to our current Indiana Deer Hunting Regs.

Site Administrator
www.indianaoutdoorsman.proboards.com

"Never argue with an idiot.....they will beat you with experience every time"
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16118
01/09/2017 04:36 PM
01/09/2017 04:36 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by Scarlett Dew:
[b] Indiana is known for many things. Auto racing, covered bridges and Amish craftsmanship are just a few notables that make the Midwestern state stand out. Indiana also sets on top of one of the largest concentrations of limestone on the planet, producing rich, quality soil needed for growing agriculture crops. The Hoosier State annually ranks in the top five for soybean production, helping fill the bellies of more than a half-million whitetails and adding impressive inches of bone to bucks’ antlers.

Zone1

Two good bucks cited in this article taken 4 years apart...... big whooptee dooooo............ Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio make us look like a "mud puddle" in inches of rack total taken EACH year. Nice Link Brew.......LOL!!

Now find a link that compares to Indiana what Iowa, Illinois, and Ohio bring home in TOTAL inches of rack/entries available due to their AWESOME Regs EACH year..... and not have to wait for 4 years to reference "2 bucks" cool

Also....... the article mentions nothing about how our Hoosier Record Book entries are on a free fall the several years due to our current Indiana Deer Hunting Regs. [/b]
Glad to have your input...lol

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16119
01/09/2017 07:15 PM
01/09/2017 07:15 PM
se indiana
T
THROBAK Offline
Hoosier Hunter
THROBAK  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
T
se indiana
I don't know how you can live with yourself having to get up every morning In a state you dislike so much ? I would Move to Iowa or Illinois if I was you Dew !!

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16120
01/09/2017 07:51 PM
01/09/2017 07:51 PM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Iowa Illinois and Ohio are much bigger states than Indiana....the smallest state west of the smokies

Join us on my Facebook group....OUTDOORS in INDIANA

formerly known as Indiana hunting, fishing and trapping
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16121
01/09/2017 07:52 PM
01/09/2017 07:52 PM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Dew's all about the inches wink

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16122
01/09/2017 08:08 PM
01/09/2017 08:08 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by THROBAK:
I don't know how you can live with yourself having toget up every morning Inglis a state you dislike so much ID Move to Iowa or Illinois if I was you Dew !!
Throwing away it's potential is what I don't like......

Site Administrator

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16123
01/09/2017 08:14 PM
01/09/2017 08:14 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by trapperDave:
Dew's all about the inches wink
So then....... if it's "all about the inches"....... would you care to share how many antlerless me and my family took this year?

wink

Site Administrator

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16124
01/10/2017 03:11 AM
01/10/2017 03:11 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Tell us dew, how many does did y'all kill?

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16125
01/10/2017 03:12 AM
01/10/2017 03:12 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Careful.....baited question

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16126
01/10/2017 04:30 AM
01/10/2017 04:30 AM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Careful.....baited question
Hmmmmm........... so at least your admitting you're just here to play games and bait people so you can continue to play the "Thug" role..... and stir the pot. I at least commend you on your honesty about your ill intent.

So..... just so were all clear on your "baited question"..... How many antlerless deer does Trapper Dave feel someone has to shoot per year to prove they are not just interested in "inches of rack".?

Site Administrator

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16127
01/10/2017 06:37 AM
01/10/2017 06:37 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Has nothing to dew with that.

But if your going to cry the sky is falling and herd is faltering....why kill any does?

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16128
01/10/2017 06:38 AM
01/10/2017 06:38 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
So how many have yall taken?

You obviously kill plenty bucks for the freezer smile

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16129
01/10/2017 07:07 AM
01/10/2017 07:07 AM
Indiana
J
Jeff Valovich Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Jeff Valovich  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
J
Indiana
He should stick with trapping and let the deer hunters/managers/biologists do their thing, cause he sure dont know crap about deer and management... troll troll troll his boat ...

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16130
01/10/2017 09:35 AM
01/10/2017 09:35 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Ouch... That gonna leave a mark!

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16131
01/10/2017 09:41 AM
01/10/2017 09:41 AM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Lol

Leaving it up to hunters with their armchair biology degrees got you where you are today smile

How many does???

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16132
01/10/2017 11:26 AM
01/10/2017 11:26 AM
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Stinger Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Stinger  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
I think Indiana has crappy deer. I've hunted in many states as you all have and its never exciting to hunt in Indiana over any other state.

I shot a monster buck in MN public land and have seen sooooo many monsters up there. Have seen 6 monsters in Indiana since 1990 and hunting since 1999. And I lived there from 1982 - 1995, 2001-2003.

Public land in Indiana is horrendous. Bucks are small since you can only kill a buck on those public lands.

Private land is hoarded.. people are skeptical of strangers so permission is rarely given, the police are anti-hunters in the NW corner (the region).

Illinois south of 26 is unbelievable, MN is awesome, Virginia is a dream, Montana and S. Dakota is on the bucket list of many hunters.

Indiana - meh. It's close and you don't have to deal with Illinois lottery/county preference, split hunting weekends.

Just my personal opinion. The best time i've hunted in Indiana was on private land and it turned out there was an unenforced hunting ban in that area that I only learned after a homeowner/anti-hunter complained. Cops could care less....

Indiana people have an attitude "if I don't know you, then you're not worth knowing" Very anti-social state.

I came back to Indy after living in Washington D.C. and it was culture shock how afraid of striking a conversation Indiana people are. It all plays into the experience.

Minnesota has "Welcome Hunters" signs all over the place when you go up there. Indiana - never seen it. People are more committed to ensuring you keep away from them than welcoming hunters to their town where you are spending money on hotel/motel, food, drink, gas, snacks, equipment.

In short, Indiana sucks if you have an affinity for people or are new there. If you didn't grow up there, no one wants to get to know you. Very paranoid state and since you can't buy alcohol on Sunday, it makes it even worse.

----- yep, I said it -----

Deer Hunting since 1999 (Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana Antelope)

Marketing Guy in Chicago but grew up in Indiana/ Ball State.. blah blah blah.
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16133
01/10/2017 12:44 PM
01/10/2017 12:44 PM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
Yeah well, you know, that's just like your opinion, man.

Followed by Buzzards
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16134
01/10/2017 01:12 PM
01/10/2017 01:12 PM
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Stinger Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Stinger  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Double B - your attempt to invalidate my opinion by point out that it is an opinion is sophomoric at best.

I would ask you why Indiana leads the country in college graduates that leave the state once they graduate? Nothing in Indiana worth staying for, perhaps?

Deer Hunting since 1999 (Virginia, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota, Montana Antelope)

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16135
01/10/2017 01:20 PM
01/10/2017 01:20 PM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN
Originally posted by Stinger:
Double B - your attempt to invalidate my opinion by point out that it is an opinion is sophomoric at best.

I would ask you why Indiana leads the country in college graduates that leave the state once they graduate? Nothing in Indiana worth staying for, perhaps?
That's a easy answer...... We have the Best schools in the country to gain a education so folks come here from out of state then leave once they gained the education!

Pretty simple....

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16136
01/10/2017 01:38 PM
01/10/2017 01:38 PM
Camby
C
Cody.Query Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Cody.Query  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Camby
Lol

Leaving it up to hunters with their armchair biology degrees got you where you are today smile

How many does???
I take Dew's comments that he is talking about something besides his own little piece of the hunting land. I don't see him as unhappy with his opportunities at all. Seems he does just fine.

Maybe he just sees the potential others could also have under the right management and wants to lobby for that. Maybe he thinks of something other than his own opportunity and that he would like to see the state adopt some of the same philosophies he utilizes on his properties so others can have the opportunity to experience the same things rather than criticize him. Maybe this would have the side effect of improving his hunting as well.

And maybe he has managed his property where he needs to take does or maybe not. A ton of maybes but I don't see where it matters what he shot in any scenario as he seems really happy with his area and I'm certain no matter what answer he gives it isn't going to satisfy you.

You are all opinionated and passionate but I don't think you know his motivation for speaking his mind any more than he does yours.

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16137
01/10/2017 01:45 PM
01/10/2017 01:45 PM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
Well duder, it was a movie quote, so you either get it or you don't. It's exactly what I thought of your post, in a nice humorous way. You think we're all gonna have an epiphany and fold up our tents? Not what Hoosiers do bro.

I'm a great example of the opposite of your second paragraph. IU class of '88 with a 3 decade career going strong. But the grass is always greener......could not tell you why they leave, I didn't and sure glad. Could be for their job. We do pump out alot of grads w IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Butler, Ball State ISU and many more. They come to here to get a quality education bro. Then they go where they can make good money, relate?

What I don't get is why folks want to get on here and crap on their own state. I got pride, I think the DNR tries to do a good job and yeah, I'm a Homer. Don't expect a warm reception with what you typed. And by the way, put some gravel in your travel, there's a lot more than corn in Indiana, and alot of friendly folks, South of Route 30 anyway.

Followed by Buzzards
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16138
01/10/2017 02:57 PM
01/10/2017 02:57 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Has nothing to dew with that.

Oh yes it does little troll.......... You attempt to demonize people that shoot big deer, and have not a FRIGGIN' clue on what else they take. You just muster up some acidic slang about how "they are only interested in inches of rack". YOU started this negative troll slang slogan.....so now defend it. wink

So ....... Pony up to the bar named "Your Own Inflicted Pain" TrapperDave and dew tell us how you know for a fact those that shoot mature deer over and over and over... don't have an interest if not MORE of an interest in taking antlerless deer. AND..... what it takes in your book on how many antlerless vs how many big deer their allotment is so they aren't Demonized by you in your beedy little head..... wink

Site Administrator

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16139
01/10/2017 03:06 PM
01/10/2017 03:06 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by Cody.Query:
I take Dew's comments that he is talking about something besides his own little piece of the hunting land. I don't see him as unhappy with his opportunities at all. Seems he does just fine.

Maybe he just sees the potential others could also have under the right management and wants to lobby for that. Maybe he thinks of something other than his own opportunity and that he would like to see the state adopt some of the same philosophies he utilizes on his properties so others can have the opportunity to experience the same things rather than criticize him. Maybe this would have the side effect of improving his hunting as well.

And maybe he has managed his property where he needs to take does or maybe not. A ton of maybes but I don't see where it matters what he shot in any scenario as he seems really happy with his area and I'm certain no matter what answer he gives it isn't going to satisfy you.

You are all opinionated and passionate but I don't think you know his motivation for speaking his mind any more than he does yours.
Nailed it Cody........

And it just makes me vomit to see those here ADVOCATING for continued erosion of our Deer Hunting as they seek to keep our current destructive regs......and turn their heads the other way instead of trying to get some help to others that are trapped in this sinking boat. Just disgusts me....

And you can see first hand here what some will do to those that truly want others to have what I have. Don't get me wrong.....I'm not giving it away as it has been 30 years in the making of work. But it can be EASILY duplicated just about anywhere.....even with shitttty neighbors that don't care, with the RIGHT regs in place. I've found more neighbors DO care.....and it's a HOOOOOOT to get as many involved as possible. But some are trapped in this State with ravaged hunting land.....and destructive neighbors on all sides. Time this State give them a hand....and quits listening to those that don't care.

Site Administrator

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16140
01/10/2017 03:54 PM
01/10/2017 03:54 PM
Shelbyville, Indiana
B
Bryan78 Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Bryan78  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Shelbyville, Indiana
Originally posted by Cody.Query:

It's not his message or passion for deer I have a problem with... Dew is probably one of the most passionate people on here when it comes to deer hunting and I would never question it... But it's his attitude about it is what I have a problem with... Kinda of hard to convince people to listen to you and be accepting of your ideas when you berate them for not agreeing with you... The right attitude goes a long way with people...

I agree with Dew that we have to many gun hunting days as it is unnecessary... But I also think that 16 days for gun hunting is not unreasonable at all... I believe that we have too many days to bow hunt and think our bow season is completely ridiculous...

I think all deer hunting should end at the end of firearm season as I believe after a two month beating our herd takes is a God's plenty...

But I also believe there are other ways to manage our herd that will benefit all besides emulating other states season structure...

I also believe the same brown and down guys with our season setup will just be the same brown and down guys with someone else's season structure here... If people want bigger deer than they need to stop shooting small deer period and you don't need move seasons around to get that...The two deer my buddy shot this year were still smaller together then the buck I shot was... Even though my buddy will pass on deer on occasions, I would still classify him as a brown and down guy because the two deer he shot I would have passed on because they were too small for me to deal with... Since I have a lifetime license, I don't care if I shoot a deer or not as I'm not out much of anything other then time and gas...

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16141
01/10/2017 04:49 PM
01/10/2017 04:49 PM
Indiana
S
Scarlett Dew Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Scarlett Dew  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
S
Indiana
Originally posted by Bryan78:
But it's his attitude about it is what I have a problem with... Kinda of hard to convince people to listen to you and be accepting of your ideas when you berate them for not agreeing with you... The right attitude goes a long way with people...

I understand that observation Bryan78..... totally do. I'll try to shed some insight on to that.

There are a few here that have tried to make good people here look like zhit holes since some of us stood up for Prop #1 about 5 years ago. They were trying everything possible to get that abolished since it meant Crossbows were not to be included across the board. We all had different views on such......but instead of those few individuals sticking to facts about the integrity of the people posting......they started falsely accusing good people of baiting, use of cell service trail cams, and other pretty screwed up stuff. Their intent was to lie.....demonize.......make phone calls to try and shut good events down that they don't agree with or are jealous of, and mislead to get what they wanted..... and to this day some of them just go by an alias and have no face or accountability to their attacking ways. I was included in that group they targeted....and still am targeted.......and it drives them NUTS I gut their goofy stuff here in public....so they resort to name calling or nursery rhyme chants in their responses....and even put crap about "beating of others keeps the planets aligned", and are proud of that as it appears as their signature on every post..... with kids/teens/and new hunters watching what our ranks are made of.

I firmly believe those people should be treated as the rats they are....... they are here to hurt good people. They will find no shelter from me..... and my words I type will describe them just the way they are..... and will precisely describe their behavior and what they are precisely doing to others and this neat sport.

It's not a matter of agreeing with me....... as I have not agreed with some stuff I've seen you post Bryan78.... It's a matter of years of them being deceptive, and demonizing good men for something that they are not that makes my words sharper for just a few here. I am not here to make them agree with me, because they will NOT change.......I am here to expose them for who they are......and let others then decide where they stand with EVERYTHING out on the table on the issues being discussed...

Just some insight.......

Site Administrator

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16142
01/10/2017 05:01 PM
01/10/2017 05:01 PM
Camby
C
Cody.Query Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Cody.Query  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
C
Camby
It's hard to get agreement on much thats for sure. I'll just say as I know first hand that it is frustrating trying to manage land in Indiana as season structures aren't conducive to it.

We own land and I lease some too. With the mgt geared towards high availability of tags coupled with the long gun seasons it makes it really hard in most of my areas. The neighbors can totally ruin our hunting on our 100 acres by doing nothing wrong but following the law. As yaz has relayed before after a time it is super frustrating as we wouldn't mind to shoot something once in a while and see a few deer every set too. And before someone says manage better, I'd say we are one of if not the best managed properties in that county for habitat improvement and harvest decisions. It would just be nice if the state would help out in some way rather than catering to the kill everything crowd.

"Form your own thoughts, instead of quoting another's original insight."-Cody Query
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16143
01/10/2017 07:55 PM
01/10/2017 07:55 PM
Hancock Co.
trapperDave Offline
Hoosier Hunter
trapperDave  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Hancock Co.
Gee Pew, if I gave a flip what you thought I might be offended. Lol

Thanks for the laugh! Been a long night at work.

Now back to the question, how many does?
smile

Watch that blood pressure, don't pop a vessel laugh

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16144
01/11/2017 05:11 AM
01/11/2017 05:11 AM
PlainField, IN
BREW... Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
BREW...  Offline OP
Hoosier Hunter
PlainField, IN

Zone1

Back on topic

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16145
01/11/2017 07:34 AM
01/11/2017 07:34 AM
Right where I belong
Double B Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Double B  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Right where I belong
Good stuff, our state is getting written up in North American Whitetail. I think that's a good thing. Would you rather hunt in a state that's one of the worst to hunt in? Seen us listed right up there with the bigs, Iowa, Illinois, Ohio, Kansas, etc. All states have better and worse counties for deer, turkey or any specific pursuit, but it shows great bucks can grow in all corners of our state.

Followed by Buzzards
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16146
01/11/2017 10:02 AM
01/11/2017 10:02 AM
Noblesville IN
G
garman6 Offline
garman6  Offline
G
Noblesville IN
Just tired of all the crying babies on here. It's getting super old, if you hate is so much quit hunting and move on. Personally, best year ever for me and I didn't kill a buck.

Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16147
01/11/2017 11:37 AM
01/11/2017 11:37 AM
B
blackoak Offline
Hoosier Hunter
blackoak  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
B
Guys you need to stop picking on dew and making him look like a zhit hole and making him vomitt. He's only wanting the other deer hunters in our state to enjoy the same great hunting experiences he's fortunate to experience every year and instead of having only basket rack 6 pointers and spikes and slick heads in your man caves, yours will someday look like his!!!. You dirty rats and pizzzed off thugs, beady headed trolls.

Blackoak
Lazy Moron Dirtbag X-bow user
Re: Zoning In on Indiana Whitetails #16148
01/11/2017 11:38 AM
01/11/2017 11:38 AM
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Stinger Offline
Hoosier Hunter
Stinger  Offline
Hoosier Hunter
NW Indiana & Chicago, IL
Yeah, I know - great movie. Just giving you crap. Peace!
Originally posted by Double B:
Well duder, it was a movie quote, so you either get it or you don't. It's exactly what I thought of your post, in a nice humorous way. You think we're all gonna have an epiphany and fold up our tents? Not what Hoosiers do bro.

I'm a great example of the opposite of your second paragraph. IU class of '88 with a 3 decade career going strong. But the grass is always greener......could not tell you why they leave, I didn't and sure glad. Could be for their job. We do pump out alot of grads w IU, Purdue, Notre Dame, Butler, Ball State ISU and many more. They come to here to get a quality education bro. Then they go where they can make good money, relate?

What I don't get is why folks want to get on here and crap on their own state. I got pride, I think the DNR tries to do a good job and yeah, I'm a Homer. Don't expect a warm reception with what you typed. And by the way, put some gravel in your travel, there's a lot more than corn in Indiana, and alot of friendly folks, South of Route 30 anyway.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  bean, BowBo, jbwhttail, sticksender 

Newest Members
WV 67, Ehargis, Will, Joe, CGJones
2909 Registered Users
Forum Statistics
Forums35
Topics4,663
Posts49,845
Members2,909
Most Online188
Sep 19th, 2018
Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 19 guests, and 0 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Top Posters(30 Days)

Hunting lease liability insurance