Home

Saying "goodbye" to Sunny

Posted By: DEC

Saying "goodbye" to Sunny - 02/16/2018 10:49 AM

Sorry ... I always hate reading these threads as I cry like a baby when others' dogs pass ...

Late yesterday my family and I had to say "goodbye" to our yellow girl ... Sunny. This past week has been the worst few days of agonizing decision making of our lives. Sunny was nearly 13 1/2 years old and this past Monday I took her to the vet and he confirmed what I had feared ... lymphoma. The vet gave her a shot of vitamins and a few days of prednisone to ease her so that we as a family could prepare, say our goodbyes, and close her life out on our terms. So yesterday I let her slip quietly and peacefully away. It was the toughest of decisions, but in retrospect the right decision. I read some great advise as I was trying to cope with this decision the past few days ... "no one has ever regretting putting a loved dog down a day too soon, but everyone has always regretted waiting one second too late."

What a great dog she was for our family. I bought her as a puppy from a friend in 2004. My oldest daughter, who was 5 at the time, picked her out. I trained her myself ... so far from perfect as I had no clue what I was doing. She ended up being a heck of a goose dog. She would lay in her blind all day waiting on that one flock. She would go to the end of the earth and back after a downed bird and always deliver to hand. She lived to hunt, chase tennis balls, eat, be under our feet a all times, and just loved being a clown and making us smile. She was as bullheaded at times as they get. She was the most loving and friendly dog that you ever would meet. She was an absolute comedian and knew she could make you laugh. They say that there is that one dog that is just a bit more special than all of the others ... Sunny was my ONE. I sure hope that there are dogs in Heaven, because I could not imagine a paradise where she wasn't there waiting on me. It is my prayer that we get to share endless golden corn stubble fields with skies full of geese once again.

Craig's Sunshine Colby ... aka ... "Sunny". September 23, 2004 to February 15, 2018

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Den57

Re: Saying "goodbye" to Sunny - 02/16/2018 05:55 PM

Been there and done that 4 times Derek, all Lab's. I have the 5th one laying at my feet as I type this. Not looking forward to that day at all. Feel for you!!!!
Posted By: HS Strut

Re: Saying "goodbye" to Sunny - 02/16/2018 07:44 PM

Sorry for your loss brother...Reading your post reminded me so much of my current yellow lab. She's more of an upland dog than waterfowl but other than that you described mine. She's THAT DOG for me as well. Can't imagine how hard it was.
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Saying "goodbye" to Sunny - 02/16/2018 08:06 PM

Very sorry Derek!
I know how hard it is to lose them... it's totally heart breaking indeed. But you have awesome memories for sure!!
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Saying "goodbye" to Sunny - 02/17/2018 11:40 AM

Very sad to see Derek I know the pain Buried my 15 yr old beagle last week we loved em didn’t we ?
Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: Saying "goodbye" to Sunny - 02/17/2018 03:20 PM

Sorry bud I know it's hard. I put 3 of them down in my life and 2 of em was at the same time. My beagle who is layin on my lap is 10 and she ain't got much time left. It's terrible it's like one of your kids
Posted By: Jeffro

Re: Saying "goodbye" to Sunny - 02/22/2018 12:35 PM

Shared that pain..... thanks for sharing your pics & memories. Sorry for your families' loss.
She was a beautiful dog!!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting