Home

Bird dog project

Posted By: familytradition

Bird dog project - 03/22/2013 08:53 PM

Wanting a pup. English Setter or GSP. I like close working dogs. My first setter, I tried to train myself. I pretty much failed, but I have a good house dog. Looking for someone close to Noblesville or Tipton that will train me and pup at reasnable price. Any body want a project?
Posted By: gundude

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 08:47 AM

I love a good GSP!!!.. id help ya train but your to far away .. read the book "gun dog". You can train it yourself. Dont let others spoil it ..step one is manners! Never ever give it people food. Be dedicated .... im traing a mixed breed right now. Alot of work but i love it..

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 12:01 PM

Buddy is training a lab/gsp right now. See how we do with her.
Posted By: Jeffro

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 01:54 PM

I have a friend with a GSP, I think you'll be happy.

I grew up with an English Setter, had one as an adult, and had another fried that had one. While you *can* get them to be a "close working dog" my experience shows that is an uphill battle (against their instinct). While I love the Setter, I do not equate them with "close working dogs". I think you made a good choice on the GSP.

Good hunting.....!

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 02:48 PM

Originally posted by familytradition:
Buddy is training a lab/gsp right now. See how we do with her.
Thats the same mix i had..... also the best dog i have ever had

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 09:28 PM

What about the grouse bred lines like hemlock and ryman?

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 09:33 PM

My current setter is tomoka/ tricky dick breed she runs like the wind. May have been a better trial dog, but she doesn't find the birds until she is right on top of them, which often causes them to flush. I am used to beagles and her nose is terrible compared to them.

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 09:42 PM

[Linked Image]

Little off topic, but I had to show her off.

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 11:02 PM

Originally posted by familytradition:
What about the grouse bred lines like hemlock and ryman?
Only problem is finding grouse in Indiana...lol

Re: Bird dog project - 03/23/2013 11:06 PM

Btw..good lookin dog!
Posted By: Juggler

Re: Bird dog project - 03/24/2013 08:48 AM

I love setters. I had a King Farms English Setter back in my youth and there were lots of birds(and yes, grouse, in Indiana). We hunted every weekend and he got really good. He hunted to our surroundings, close in the woods and heavy stuff, farther out in the fields. I finished with two Springset Gordons. Grouse were about gone by then. Hunted them mosting in So. Dakota. They were littermates and the male could scent birds from much farther away than his sister. He was great, she was, well, really sweet. Great picture of your dog, good luck with the new pup. Just get them in in WILD birds as much as possible.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Bird dog project - 03/24/2013 09:24 AM

Beautiful dog!
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Bird dog project - 03/24/2013 10:39 AM

Fam T try Kings out east.

Re: Bird dog project - 03/24/2013 11:53 AM

I may use king farms if I cannot find someone closer. I have been there for put and takes. I hoping to find someone that I can get to during the evenings not just weekends.
Posted By: SkeeterSx180

Re: Bird dog project - 03/30/2013 09:01 AM

Look up Perfection training in Missouri. Jon is an awesome and humane trainer. He trained my shorthair. Having said that, get his videos perfect start and finish. He walks you through training step by step with a variety of temperaments at each stage so you can tailor your training to your dog. I highly recommend his methods.
Posted By: delaney

Re: Bird dog project - 04/01/2013 08:46 PM

Look up Mutt Marsh and see if you find Josh. They actually have a contest going on right now.
Posted By: Chris Wright

Re: Bird dog project - 04/05/2013 11:28 PM

If you Google Indiana GSP you can find breeders. They are all hunting backgrounds
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Bird dog project - 08/11/2013 06:58 PM

How's your project coming along???
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting