Home

rabbit dog killing rabbits

Posted By: psearchery

rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/07/2013 08:06 PM

I am new to hunting with dogs. My cousin recently just got a dog and we have ran it a few times. This dog has killed three rabbits that were missed by the shooter and even brings them back. Is this a good or bad thing? I'm kinda stuck on this one I know its his job to Chase the rabbit but killing them after missed has thrown me off. Any help is appreciated
Posted By: gundude

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/07/2013 09:18 PM

How do you know the shots were a clean miss?
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/07/2013 10:16 PM

If the dog is killing them, then you didnt miss. Very few rabbit dogs can run down a rabbit unless the rabbit is wounded or sick. h.h.

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/07/2013 10:33 PM

I have skinned all of these rabbits and no buckshot in them whatsoever.
Posted By: bean

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/07/2013 10:39 PM

Don't miss smile Sorry couldn't help it. I know nothing to help you but it sounds to me like the dog is doing a good job and I don't know of any rabbit dog that would not kill a rabbit if it caught it. It is breed to get them not point.

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/07/2013 10:45 PM

Bean since it is my cousins dog he is the only one shooting so its him not me. I'm just the guy that walks around looking goofy without a weapon.
Posted By: bean

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/07/2013 10:49 PM

haha I was just messin anyway. I am sure guys will jump in and answer what you need.

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/07/2013 10:56 PM

I know you were. I agree with everyone that the dog shouldnt catch up to the rabbit but I witnessed this dog run up grab it break its neck and bring it back.

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/08/2013 07:40 AM

Does he wanna sell it?lol

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/08/2013 08:35 AM

Gundude I asked him the same thing. I guess everything is normal I just havent heard of that happening.

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/08/2013 08:41 AM

Wirh ammo prices the way they are.. might be a good investment .....

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 02/08/2013 09:12 AM

That's a very good point. Also have been wanting to try to get into taxidermy a bit and a animal with no holes will be a plus.
Posted By: Surveyor4

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 03/11/2013 08:24 PM

Originally posted by psearchery:
I am new to hunting with dogs. My cousin recently just got a dog and we have ran it a few times. This dog has killed three rabbits that were missed by the shooter and even brings them back. Is this a good or bad thing? I'm kinda stuck on this one I know its his job to Chase the rabbit but killing them after missed has thrown me off. Any help is appreciated
It means you have a very fast dog with a lot of brains. Wheather it is good or bad depends on the hunters preferance. To me it is a great thing! There are those out there that prefer a very slow dog nick named Walkie Talkie's-even special hunts for these super slow dogs. I ran beagles a lot in the 80's and 90's and only ever had 1 that caught a rabbit. She was half beagle and half Cocker Spaniel and by far the best I ever owned. Actually saw her catch several rabbits. Not in thick cover, but if they headed out across a open area they were hers!
Posted By: Yaz

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 03/11/2013 09:58 PM

PSE,

I have a cross mountain cur and Feist. She cannot cold trail a rabbit worth a hoot. Good little squirrel dog though. She trees a coon once in a while too. I have never worked with her, she is a family pet. However, if she jumps a rabbit, it best find a hole, or she will catch it! I've had fast beagles, and slow beagles. I liked my slow dog a lot better. I guess Its all how you want them to hunt. If your beagle can catch a rabbit, then its a good one!!!!
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 03/12/2013 09:20 AM

Originally posted by Surveyor4:
Originally posted by psearchery:
[b] I am new to hunting with dogs. My cousin recently just got a dog and we have ran it a few times. This dog has killed three rabbits that were missed by the shooter and even brings them back. Is this a good or bad thing? I'm kinda stuck on this one I know its his job to Chase the rabbit but killing them after missed has thrown me off. Any help is appreciated
It means you have a very fast dog with a lot of brains. Wheather it is good or bad depends on the hunters preferance. To me it is a great thing! There are those out there that prefer a very slow dog nick named Walkie Talkie's-even special hunts for these super slow dogs. I ran beagles a lot in the 80's and 90's and only ever had 1 that caught a rabbit. She was half beagle and half Cocker Spaniel and by far the best I ever owned. Actually saw her catch several rabbits. Not in thick cover, but if they headed out across a open area they were hers! [/b]
I put out 220s for rabbits and let the dogs sleep. cool

Re: rabbit dog killing rabbits - 03/12/2013 09:46 AM

The dog I'm speaking of is actually my cousins. It's a good jump dog and that's about as far as he goes. He can't track a rabbit to save his life. No I on the other hand recently came across a yippie dog( for you duck dynasty fans) that is a beagle bloodhound mix and this dog is a rabbit running machine. She is a little slow since she is bigger but has no problem running them. And yes this dog is kept inside as my pet.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting