Home

Fall training

Posted By: Pointerman #1

Fall training - 09/08/2010 10:14 AM

anybody out there working there dogs getting ready for fall hunting season? I've been trying to train a little and road a little as the weather permits still in the 90's here in the southern end of the state and extremely dry. Heading to Michigan over columbus day weekend for a 5 day hunt well hunt 3 days travel to and from 2 days really cranked about it they say the grouse on at the top of the cycle this year so hoping to good numbers. Have a great fall and a great season. Would like to see this the dog sections take back off again now that season is upon us.
Jim Beasley
Lost River Kennels
www.lostriverkennels.com
Posted By: gundude

Re: Fall training - 09/10/2010 07:29 AM

Grouse? Really? what Grouse?...................... Nothing id rather do more than chase grouse but it's not gonna happen in Indiana anytime soon.... read the upland forum.
Posted By: tobias

Re: Fall training - 09/28/2010 08:39 PM

Might try gettin in woods. I've kicked up 5 grouse and 2 woodcock in the last 3 days chasin squirrels w/ the dogs. While the grouse populations are low, there're still birds around. You can't chase much game sittin at the keyboard. All the birds I've seen this year were on public ground, and I WASN'T in "prime" grouse habitat when I kicked 'em up.
Posted By: gundude

Re: Fall training - 09/29/2010 09:59 AM

Im in the woods every day... or at least 5 days a week on avg........ No cuts and all will be just fine right?
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Fall training - 09/29/2010 11:00 AM

Hey, Jim. What's up? We need to get together for another training session soon. One of the RGS guys went to Michigan last week (about 1/2 way up) and saw lots of birds both woodcock and grouse. He's going to the U.P. this week-end and do some more scouting. Most of the birds were on the old logging trails on public ground so you'll see birds with those dogs of yours. I have another friend currently in Wisconsin but he's supposed to get back with report tonight.

Anybody seeing any quail?

Hunt hard,
Jack
Posted By: tobias

Re: Fall training - 09/29/2010 06:56 PM

Originally posted by gundude:
Im in the woods every day... or at least 5 days a week on avg........ No cuts and all will be just fine right?
NO CUTS? They're cuttin the heck out of Morgan/Monroe right now, and the birds I jumped were 3 miles from there. Just another typical response Gundude.
Posted By: Pointerman #1

Re: Fall training - 10/05/2010 12:12 PM

Hi Jack,
talked to the farmers around here and they have moved some coveys of quail when harvesting but it has been so hot and dry I don't think a dog could smell a bird if it was under its nose. 1/4" of rain in the last 60 days really dry and dusty. Anytime you are ready let me know maybe we can get dargie out again. My fall calendar is filling up but there is always post season preserve hunts going to Mich this week and maybe Oklahoma over veterans day 2 preserve hunts this month (guiding) folks coming in from michigan and possibly Montana to hunt so if you guys pick a day let me know I'm good to go through the week I saved a few vacation days for hunting season this year.
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Fall training - 10/05/2010 05:31 PM

Jim - November is just about locked up but I might squeeze out a day or two. October looks much better for me now that I've given up bow hunting.

Maggie is fat but she is real eager.

Jack
Posted By: duck

Re: Fall training - 10/08/2010 09:32 PM

most of the farmers i,v talked to are seeing more quail but very few rabbits one buddy of mine said he jumped 3 diff coveys in 2 bean fields. been way to hot and dry to run dogs
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting