Home

Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out!

Posted By: John Scifres

Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/02/2014 10:12 PM

I went to Idaho with my son a couple weeks ago and had a great time. We never did get into the elk despite trying very hard. My friend lives out there and had a bull moose tag so the last morning of the hunt we went out with him to a spot 15 minutes from his house. There was a possibility of both elk and moose so we weren't surprised to get into several cows. So many in fact that we decided that there had to be a bull around.
About 8:55 we hear a large animal or two crashing through the adjacent hollow. Steve runs down one point and I my son James and I run down the other. No sooner had I decided that the animals were elk since they were running very fast and didn't seem as heavy as moose then Steve took a shot. James said "I guess they were moose". We get to a spot where we can see Steve and he shoots again and waves us over. The moose, a cow and bull, had holed up in some brush and as we watched. The cow and then the bull emerged 150+ yards out. Steve took a 3rd and 4th shot and then I handed him my rifle and he took the final shot that put the bull down. He sure was big smile

Steve and Me:
[Linked Image]

Steve and James:

[Linked Image]

We spent the next 12 hours packing 3 loads each down the 2.5 miles to the truck. James carried both front shoulders out by himself. He sure is turning into a fine young man. The last load was in the dark, in the rain and was brutal. We had to leave at 2:00 am the next morning and finally go to bed at 11:00. It was a great adventure and quite a challenge.
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/03/2014 07:46 AM

Very nice. What unit was the Moose tag?

Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/03/2014 08:15 AM

Very cool trip for sure
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/03/2014 08:39 AM

That's awesome! Congrats to all! cool
Posted By: animalhouse

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/03/2014 08:42 AM

Looks like a great time! Congrats!

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/03/2014 01:08 PM

Not sure about the moose unit. We were in the Palouse Elk Zone I know. This was a once-in-a-lifetime tag for Steve. No more bull moose for him in ID. He has lots of other things to hunt out there though.

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/03/2014 03:02 PM

What's the story behind the rifles?? confused

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/03/2014 08:18 PM

Why so many shots, John?? Equipment malfunction??
Posted By: delaney

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/03/2014 09:26 PM

Darn cool!

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/05/2014 02:29 PM

Originally posted by John Scifres:

This was a once-in-a-lifetime tag for Steve. No more bull moose for him in ID.
Which is why I was curious about the possible equipment failure..ie.scope,,too light of bullet,,not enough gun,,etc. No need to answer if you don't want to. I just figured other folks might learn from this experience. Dunno if I'll ever get it done,,,but moose is on my bucket list.
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/05/2014 08:02 PM

Congrats to the successful hunter!

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/06/2014 11:54 AM

First 2 shots were misses, call it bull fever. Next 2 connected and then he was out of bullets so I handed him my gun smile I think the bull was going down but Steve wanted to make sure. I kinda waved off any more shots by saying "You don't need to shoot him again." I'm no rifle expert so I can't really say on choice. He was shooting a 30.06 with 180 grain CoreLokts (I think). I am certain that's what I had in my gun.

Re: Went on an Elk Hunt and a Moose Hunt Broke Out! - 11/06/2014 12:27 PM

That's plenty of gun and bullet. I wondered if "moose fever" played a role or not. I'm sure I'd do the same.. laugh wink Thanks, John! There's a lot of good eating right there!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting