Home

New Rifle Customization

Posted By: Magnum hunter

New Rifle Customization - 02/01/2017 09:32 AM

I got a new rifle for my birthday, and I know this is going to sound like overkill, but I am working on customization for coyotes. It is a Savage Axis 30-06, and for the money it seems pretty well built. I had a centerpoint 4-16x40 scope installed with illuminated crosshairs that turn red or green. For the money, the scope doesn't seem too bad. I am going to shoot Winchester soft point varmint loads (125 gr.) I have a 3-inch sunshade installed on the scope. I still have to install the predator light, 6"-9" bipod, and bullet holder for the stock. If I can get after the coyotes when they're moving with my icotec gc300 and mojo decoy, I think I can get in some luck before season is out...??
Posted By: sticksender

Re: New Rifle Customization - 02/01/2017 10:05 AM

Good luck! You can hunt those varmints all year long as long as you have LO permission!

Re: New Rifle Customization - 02/01/2017 11:36 AM

The neighbors have been telling me that every night the coyotes have been yipping and howling - there's no shortage of them. I have landowner permission to hunt all year so I'll probably try to knock a few dead during the summer. Within the past couple years I've killed 6 around my house.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: New Rifle Customization - 02/01/2017 11:43 AM

Magnum, That will work and good luck calling.

If you really want to turn that .06 into a varmint gun take a look at these...

http://www.eabco.com/remington-accelerator-sabots.html

Remington used to make the Accelerator round in .06 using these sabots, allows you to shoot a 55 grain .224 at 4200 fps with your .o6. Im sure if you dont have a reloader you can find someone who would do it cheap or free. h.h.
Posted By: Tysonhunter

Re: New Rifle Customization - 02/01/2017 01:51 PM

Originally posted by sticksender:
Good luck! You can hunt those varmints all year long as long as you have LO permission!
I've been seeing this quoted a LOT and while it's 100% accurate it's missing a very important detail and that is if you are not the landowner it is required that it is WRITTEN permission if hunting coyotes out of the regular season. (And you must still possess the valid hunting lisc.
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: New Rifle Customization - 02/02/2017 05:45 AM

Sounds like a good wackem setup Mag. Post pics of them fawn killers !
Posted By: Double B

Re: New Rifle Customization - 02/02/2017 07:10 AM

You have a very versatile piece there and a fine deer gun. Accutrigger or no? HH took the words out of my mouth. Look up the old accelerator saboted bullets that Remington used to make. If you reload you could duplicate and shoot very light 22 cal bullets. If not shoot the lightest, most accurate loadings you can find and don't worry bout pelt damage. Hope you get a pile of yotes with it. I have a non Accutrigger 243 heavy barrel Axis and it shoots real small groups.

Re: New Rifle Customization - 02/09/2017 09:59 AM

No accutrigger.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting