Home

Coyotes

Posted By: sticksender

Coyotes - 12/24/2018 06:47 PM

Finally had time to get a few sets placed for Coyotes, and snared the first one today. Hopefully the first of many!

Is anyone else doing any trapping?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ParkerBow

Re: Coyotes - 12/25/2018 09:25 PM

I must have the coyote population somewhat under control on my land. I have only caught one coyote since Dec 3rd. Have probably 30 snares and 8 footholds. I have caught 2 red fox and a grey so far though. I always heard if you have red fox around there are not many coyotes around. I don't think fur is going to bring much again this year but I do it for the fun of it and to control the predator population to help the deer and turkey out.

Re: Coyotes - 12/26/2018 02:50 PM

Wow I guess that's good though. I haven't seen a gray fox here in 20 years, and the red foxes suddenly disappeared about 5 years ago. But we're seeing and hearing a bunch of coyotes, including one group of 4 running together. Hoping to thin those out over the next few months. Good luck to you this winter.
Posted By: Jeffro

Re: Coyotes - 12/26/2018 03:33 PM

A buddy of mine lives near Union Mills. He's been running his traps for a while now and has had a fairly busy year. Last I remember, the count was up to 9-10!
As for fox, I live in a developed neighborhood with some nearby woods, tree lines, etc. Last year I noticed something behind my neighbors shed then subsequently found a hole dug out under his shed. Had some fox build their den underneath. I watched 3-4 pups come/go through the summer. Will the parents or one of the pups re-use that same den again?

Re: Coyotes - 12/26/2018 07:31 PM

Sounds like it would be a good place to install a trail camera next spring.
Posted By: Magnum hunter

Re: Coyotes - 01/08/2019 01:59 PM

Haven't been doing any coyote trapping, but lots of coyote hunting. Got 7 under my belt so far for the season. The fur prices for coyotes seem to be up if you ask me. I have been getting $20-$25 for a big male with a good solid coat and no rubbing. Last year and a couple years prior I was lucky to get $10.

Re: Coyotes - 01/08/2019 06:43 PM

Nice job Magnum, keep the pressure on 'em! Caught a few but had to pull my sets for a while. Hope to have them back up & running next week.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Coyotes - 01/09/2019 11:31 AM

Good going Magnum. Keep after those killers. I made up 13 snares the other day but havent set them yet. A new snow helps find yote trails and get me motivated. h.h.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting