Home

Live trapping groundhogs?

Posted By: Lady Artemis

Live trapping groundhogs? - 07/13/2018 05:55 PM

We have a groundhog problem on our property. We live in the suburbs, so have only been moderately successful with killing them with a .22 airgun (when caught out in open). What bait is effective to draw groundhogs into a live trap for humane disposal? Thanks!
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Live trapping groundhogs? - 07/14/2018 02:16 AM

They are highly susceptible to snaring at their holes. If you want to keep them alive, I'm told they can be baited with apples in live traps. The only question would be where you are going to release them. Wouldn't want to make them someone else's problem! Good luck!
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Live trapping groundhogs? - 07/14/2018 11:58 AM

This is not a trap and release method as you ask but this is how I do it. I trap them with a 220 conibear trap. I set the trap, then pin it flat with sticks over the hole. Make sure you put a big wash tub or trash can over the hole to keep out pets. Just make sure the cover is secure so nothing gets into the trap but the groundhog. Check it a couple times a day. Ive disposed of many this way. h.h.
Posted By: bean

Re: Live trapping groundhogs? - 07/20/2018 07:57 PM

+1 on the 220.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Live trapping groundhogs? - 08/16/2018 11:44 AM

soybean leaves or cantelope will work for bait in a live trap. Snares and 220's also effective, where you can use them safely.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting