Home

Calcium Chloride ?

Posted By: hornharvester

Calcium Chloride ? - 12/14/2015 09:27 AM

Got a flat set with MB550 in it and I used dry peat and CC so it woundnt freeze. I must have used to much CC because a deer licked up and ate all the peat and CC around the trap and didnt set the trap off.. eek Cant beleave it didnt end up with a trap on its nose.... eek eek

Nothing but deer tracks in the mud so I know its a deer that did it. Im moving the trap somewhere else because the deer set this trap off 3 times now. Anyone else have deer eat the CC or salt around the trap? h.h.
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Calcium Chloride ? - 12/14/2015 09:48 AM

I always used dry dirt and coverhulls or dry moss. Never liked the idea of salt on my traps even though they're treated
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Calcium Chloride ? - 12/14/2015 02:03 PM

I set this trap back when it got real cold and didnt want it to freeze. Maybe I used too much? . h.h.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Calcium Chloride ? - 12/14/2015 07:20 PM

Originally posted by hornharvester:
Got a flat set with MB550 in it and I used dry peat and CC so it woundnt freeze. I must have used to much CC because a deer licked up and ate all the peat and CC around the trap and didnt set the trap off.. eek Cant beleave it didnt end up with a trap on its nose.... eek eek

Nothing but deer tracks in the mud so I know its a deer that did it. Im moving the trap somewhere else because the deer set this trap off 3 times now. Anyone else have deer eat the CC or salt around the trap? h.h.
Thats considered "BAITING" HH!!! You'd have to have released the deer!!!! laugh Ive had deer dig through shin deep snow to get to it….

I have always used CC. I buy the flake, not the crystal. I also run mine through a food processor to basically make it a fine powder. I tend to use less, when its in powder form. But you are right, you can't hide it from a deer…….which means……..coyotes sure as heck can smell it too. But you can't catch coyote in a frozen trap either. I've caught a lot of late season coyotes, and back in the day, red fox in sets where I've used calcium. Lesser of two evils in freezing weather I guess. The only thing I DONT like about it is the visible "wet spot" that forms in otherwise dry dirt as it draws moisture…...
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Calcium Chloride ? - 12/16/2015 07:13 PM

I agree with dave. If peat moss is freezing, it's too cold for me!
Posted By: DawnPatrol

Re: Calcium Chloride ? - 02/14/2016 11:30 AM

My buddy has done good with dry dirt and salt this year:) I use wax dirt:)
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting