Home

Beaver time

Posted By: bean

Beaver time - 11/23/2014 05:39 PM

We set our beaver dam like crazy today. We have snares and footholds set. With the rising water due to the rains, I decided to hold off on the coni's for a bit. Hope to have some pics tomorrow.
Posted By: Gilley

Re: Beaver time - 11/23/2014 06:29 PM

Get'em Bean. Are you setting drowning rigs on you footholds? I've got a few Beaver i'm going to go after and wondered how to go about it for sure.
Posted By: delaney

Re: Beaver time - 11/23/2014 06:34 PM

Good luck Bean, but the ducks will be sad

Re: Beaver time - 11/23/2014 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Gilley:
Get'em Bean. Are you setting drowning rigs on you footholds? I've got a few Beaver i'm going to go after and wondered how to go about it for sure.
No. I have not figured out how to do that yet. Always things to learn. Really wanted to put the coni's in the water but with the rain forecast I felt I needed to wait.

Delaney - we will hold out removing the dam until later smile
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Beaver time - 11/23/2014 07:24 PM

I've had luck with the foot holds without the drowning rigs, although I've also had a few traps that were set off and nothing in em. Good luck they are neat animals and their fur is awesome. Pain to flesh but in my opinion worth it. Can make more stuff with em than the little amount they bring to sell, just my 2 cents.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Beaver time - 11/23/2014 08:51 PM

bean one thing to remember and this from experience Beavers are not Muskrats a foothold 12 inches deep and 6 to eight inches away from the bank is ok I like to set like that and put a sharp stick at water level and remember you set on a dam and most times there pushing timber and thats what you catch MAIN on footholds 12 in deep I have found is about right
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Beaver time - 11/23/2014 08:55 PM

I used 6 foot of beefy #3 chain on my #4 beaver traps...they are big strong animals.

Drowning poles are best if you have the water to drown them in.

Check out this system. I have not used it but it sure looks nice...

http://www.minntrapprod.com/MB-10-Foot-Slide-Wires/productinfo/MB10-SW-6/

Re: Beaver time - 11/23/2014 10:38 PM

I have made my own drowners using a n old Church Key

Re: Beaver time - 11/24/2014 05:19 PM

No beavers today. Most of my sets were flooded out. We did catch another coon.

Re: Beaver time - 11/24/2014 06:02 PM

So Chevy, I don't have deep enough water. The creek is barely 2 feet deep in most places (probably deeper right now but will go back down). Should I stay with snares? I've got one 330 I was going to try and set on a slide. Don't really see a dam on my stretch of creek just a few trees down.

Re: Beaver time - 11/24/2014 06:03 PM

Re: Beaver time - 11/24/2014 06:05 PM

Re: Beaver time - 11/24/2014 06:29 PM

How wide Gilley

Re: Beaver time - 11/24/2014 07:25 PM

probably 20 feet

Re: Beaver time - 11/25/2014 08:13 AM

up to you, some places you just cant drown them. With a big good strong foothold I am not afraid to just stake them in solid and keep them alive.

I use mostly bridger 3's or duke 4's, 4 coiled for beaver and have caught and held large ones by both front or back feet with no drowning setup. I set them on dam crossovers and castor mound sets.

So Chevy, I don't have deep enough water. The creek is barely 2 feet deep in most places (probably deeper right now but will go back down). Should I stay with snares? I've got one 330 I was going to try and set on a slide. Don't really see a dam on my stretch of creek just a few trees down.

Re: Beaver time - 11/25/2014 08:37 PM

Look at the bottom Gilley Beavers use the same path the gravel will be washed clean. put a limb across that path with a 330 under the limb under water It works

Re: Beaver time - 11/25/2014 09:06 PM

We caught our first beaver today. It was a 50 pound angry one that was in a snare. We caught it by the back foot!!!

With all the rain most of my sets were knocked over but a few were still working.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Looks like we have a few more to catch. Pretty cool!!!
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Beaver time - 11/25/2014 09:12 PM

Awesome congrats. Have fun fleshing that joker, haha.
Posted By: Cornfed

Re: Beaver time - 11/25/2014 10:01 PM

Congrats!
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Beaver time - 11/25/2014 11:37 PM

Good catch! h.h.
Posted By: bassbum

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 07:09 AM

That will also make some great coyote bait. Chunk the meat up and add the castor to it and your in business.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 08:32 AM

Originally posted by bassbum:
That will also make some great coyote bait. Chunk the meat up and add the castor to it and your in business.
Yessir!!! Also bean....save some of that castor for future sets! Nice catch!!!
Posted By: delaney

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 08:36 AM

Nice.
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 11:12 AM

DONT WASTE THAT MEAT ON YOTES!

cook it like a pot roast wink
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 12:01 PM

Ground into burger is awesome too!! wink

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 12:29 PM

I won't say never

But as long as deer meat is readily available and I can afford to buy pork...rodent is not on the menu

Originally posted by trapperDave:

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 04:47 PM

Nice catch Bean !!

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 05:22 PM

Ive Ate Lots of them NO fat I mean Trim it off and be carefull not to get any caster or sac oil on the meat The tail will slice up like bacon cook fat and all every year when I worked at Guide We had a Back Court Beaver BBQ every one came back for seconds after a small taste to start with not the rubber part of tail youll see when you skin it
Posted By: buckwheat

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 05:53 PM

Nice beaver smile guys Keep after em'

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 10:02 PM

Originally posted by trapperDave:

It REALLY is good. Tastes JUST like a pot roast, only 10 times more tender. Gives me gas though….. eek laugh
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Beaver time - 11/26/2014 10:26 PM

Water gives you gas.... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Beaver time - 11/27/2014 03:29 PM

Congrats I trapped my first beaver the other day to not as big though

Re: Beaver time - 12/01/2014 10:20 PM

Originally posted by 76chevy:
up to you, some places you just cant drown them. With a big good strong foothold I am not afraid to just stake them in solid and keep them alive.

I use mostly bridger 3's or duke 4's, 4 coiled for beaver and have caught and held large ones by both front or back feet with no drowning setup. I set them on dam crossovers and castor mound sets.

[b] So Chevy, I don't have deep enough water. The creek is barely 2 feet deep in most places (probably deeper right now but will go back down). Should I stay with snares? I've got one 330 I was going to try and set on a slide. Don't really see a dam on my stretch of creek just a few trees down.
[/b]
Gilly,

You CAN drown a beaver in 2' of water. As long as you have a HEAVY weight, and a good slide rig, 2' is plenty. You do have to set for a FRONT foot catch to do it on a regular basis. Getting enough weight to a set can be an issue if you can't drive up to it. What works for me a carrying a couple burlap bags to my set location, fill them up with rocks, and wire them closed. # 11 wire, and a one way slide with your trap of choice. Sometimes the hardest part is getting the slide wire anchored good at the bank/set location. Choke up the chain, and attach the slide really close to the trap. That, and a front foot catch keeps even the biggest of beavers from keeping their heads above water.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting