Home

setup a new farm today

Posted By: 76chevy

setup a new farm today - 11/19/2013 03:01 PM

I stopped and knocked on a couple doors and got permission. One farm, I can only trap after deer firearms season but works for me.

I asked to setup the bridge with DP traps, the farmer says, "Sure, See if you can catch those beaver out there too." =)

It has running water and plenty of coon sign. The coon seem to all be on the creeks around here. My wood lot types areas went cold.
Posted By: psearchery

Re: setup a new farm today - 11/19/2013 03:04 PM

chevy what is your approach for asking permission. ive always been leary of just knocking on country folks doors.
Posted By: bean

Re: setup a new farm today - 11/19/2013 07:03 PM

Good luck. I have a mile long creek with beaver, rats, and mink in them BUT is also a great deer area. Another week or two and deer season there will be done for us.

Re: setup a new farm today - 11/20/2013 07:30 PM

I am just honest, direct, and ask for specific permissions. I try to look professional, ie no camo or dirty clothes.

Sometimes the hardest part is to get in front of the decision maker, I try to avoid dealing with farmers who cash rent or family members. I want to talk to the person who owns the land and pays taxes on it.

I get told 'NO' sometimes and move on to find the next door to knock on. Most people are nice even when they won't allow me permission.

If they are and anti or get an attitude (which I have run into), I say "thanks for your time" and quickly turn around and walk away. Simple as that. I will not engage in arguments or try to change their mind.

Originally posted by psearchery:
chevy what is your approach for asking permission. ive always been leary of just knocking on country folks doors.
Posted By: psearchery

Re: setup a new farm today - 11/20/2013 09:18 PM

thanks for the input. i have a few places in mind that im going to ask.

Re: setup a new farm today - 11/21/2013 05:55 AM

Best of luck to you!
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting