Home

some pics from the coyote line

Posted By: 76chevy

some pics from the coyote line - 10/19/2013 06:28 PM

I have a total of 17 coyote sets out on 2 farms, weather looks good for this week so I have high hopes. I caught one coyote this morning but forgot the camera.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

typical of where I trap. It is about 95% wide open ag fields. I setup on the upwind side of where the farm lane opens up into the field corner.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: delaney

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/19/2013 06:52 PM

How was the pelt on the coyote? Congrats on the first score.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/19/2013 06:57 PM

small, wet, and muddy. =)

He was a pup--fully furred but certainly not prime. His fawn and turkey eating days are over though and that it what counts the most to me.

Originally posted by delaney:
How was the pelt on the coyote? Congrats on the first score.
Posted By: ParkerBow

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/19/2013 09:13 PM

"Forgot my camera" That is my excuse. smile I was out deer hunting this evening and did not see a deer (Nothing unusual there" But I did hear 3 or 4 yotes barking and howling across the holler. Good luck to you and if you keep posting stuff like this i am gonna have to throw in a few sets early on my land.
Posted By: bean

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/19/2013 09:56 PM

Looks good 76. Now lets see some pics of the yotes - camera excuse has been used.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/20/2013 06:42 PM

I will have it with me in the morning when I check the line. =) Caught a nice male yote this morning

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/20/2013 06:53 PM

We've got to get you a phone with a camera wink Good going on the male.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/20/2013 07:41 PM

I had 2 traps hit w/ misses today. That makes 4 misses so far. Need to tweak some placement possibly.
Posted By: psearchery

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/20/2013 08:28 PM

bean when you say missed you mean the trap was set off? or they worked the set but missed the trap pan.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/20/2013 09:05 PM

Originally posted by bean:
I had 2 traps hit w/ misses today. That makes 4 misses so far. Need to tweak some placement possibly.
Make sure you bed them SOLID. Also sounds like a pan tension issue. You want them to put all of their weight on the pan before it breaks. I have mine around 3 pounds. If they have committed enough to drop the pan @ 3 pounds, they can't get their foot out of there fast enough.

CMON Chevy!!!! This is a PICTURE thread! Geesh....You been hanging around Parkerbow???? laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/20/2013 10:01 PM

Originally posted by psearchery:
bean when you say missed you mean the trap was set off? or they worked the set but missed the trap pan.
Trap was set off. My traps were bedded pretty firm and my pan tension was adjusted how Charlie showed me on the Coyote dvd. Oh well, part of learning something new.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/20/2013 10:05 PM

yep you said it best the only way to learn is just to try it and learn as you go. dont give up you will get it down. on the bright side sounds like you have alot of activity in your area.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/21/2013 08:52 AM

well, had the phone with me this morning. Only caught a coon and a opossum. =)

+1 on the solid bedding.

Coons and deer are often the culprit for a sprung trap. Did you see any tracks near the set?

not the best pic but here you go!

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/21/2013 09:18 AM

Picture! Yes, thank you. You've gotta also get some trap site pictures because this thread will take a life of its own over the next four months. I sure wish I lived in the country so I could contribute.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/21/2013 11:30 AM

Roger that.

Picture! Yes, thank you. You've gotta also get some trap site pictures because this thread will take a life of its own over the next four months. I sure wish I lived in the country so I could contribute.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/21/2013 11:50 AM

Yep! This was a fun thread the last couple years. Hope we get more to join in. Pics of EVERYTHING from sets, to snaring locations,
catches on site.....even HH's Pepi LaPew catches!!!!! laugh I've got to hurry up and kill a deer, and get crops in so I can start!!!! The deer just aren't cooperating!!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/21/2013 04:07 PM

Caught a grinner and rabbit today. Took pics but didn't turn out for some reason. All released.

That makes 2 coons, 2 rabbits, 1 possum and 0 coyotes so far. Interesting though that the 2 misses I had yesterday were the possum and rabbit in the set today. That is 2 different rabbits in the same set in 3 days. You would think with bait, lure and yote whiz that they would be far from the trap. Oh well, come rabbit season we will eat them.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 12:48 PM

[Linked Image]

remake of this set. The dirt holes are about 24 inches deep. RK Predator plus bait in right hole, HTS Coyote Carnage in left hole
[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 01:40 PM

NOW WE"RE TALKIN'!!! Thats the kind of stuff we like to see!!!! wink You using an auger on a cordless to get them holes that deep?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 01:53 PM

Startin to pick up. Nice job. Third rabbit for me today.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 01:57 PM

chevy you are off to a good start. bean you must have a good rabbit habitat

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 02:09 PM

Startin to pick up. Nice job. Third rabbit for me today.
Quit using carrots for bait man!!!!! laugh I don't know what you are doing, but I have NEVER caught a rabbit! eek laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 02:28 PM

Yes, cordless drill and auger. First year using it and I love it. Really makes it fast and easy.

Originally posted by Yaz:
NOW WE"RE TALKIN'!!! Thats the kind of stuff we like to see!!!! wink You using an auger on a cordless to get them holes that deep?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 02:33 PM

is there a benefit to digging them that deep chevy?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 02:47 PM

Yes, I think there is. If the hole is shallow, he can see the bait and easily grab it and run. He is most likely very cautious coming in, and is not hanging around any the set any longer than he has to.

The deep hole that looks like it goes somewhere creates intrigue and frustrates the coyote when he can't see or get to the bait. I always put bait on sheep's wools too.

He smells the sweet bait down the hole, digs, digs some more, shuffles his feet some and then BANG

Of course, you can't get a 24 inch hole in all soils. I try to put them in as deep as the soil allows.

is there a benefit to digging them that deep chevy?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 02:54 PM

that makes perfect since. last year i used my disposable stake rod to make the holes but never thought about depth. i will have to give that a try. we are still trying to feel the freezer with deer this waiting is killing me. im ready to get a trap in the ground.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 03:31 PM

[b] Startin to pick up. Nice job. Third rabbit for me today.
Quit using carrots for bait man!!!!! laugh I don't know what you are doing, but I have NEVER caught a rabbit! eek laugh [/b]
Dang I thought carrots would work!!! I wish rabbit were in. 3 (different) rabbits in the same set... someone please explain.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 03:33 PM

AWESOME right there. I am about ready to say the heck with deer hunting and start trapping. Oh and yes I have caught several rabbits in yote sets. Maybe you have your pans set to heavy Yaz, that's why you haven't eve caught one smile
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 07:19 PM

76chevy,
Good catch and nice pictures!

Bean, You are leading the pack....keep it up!

Today I boiled the M550's and snares using baking soda. I'm painting the traps florescent orange. Be 2-3 weeks before I start. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 07:41 PM

thanks.

Just wondering, why orange?

Originally posted by hornharvester:
76chevy,

Today I boiled the M550's and snares using baking soda. I'm painting the traps florescent orange. Be 2-3 weeks before I start. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 07:48 PM

76chevy,

Leading the pack w/ targets that don't matter. However, I am really enjoying doing this and look forward to doing this all season. Just ordered a dozen Duke DP's and now need to figure out what to use as bait. I am also going to use Parkers idea w/ the pvc in them.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 08:36 PM

The fire has certainly been lit! Nice pic Chevy.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 10:32 PM

The dukes are some nice coon traps. Very fast to put in and you can stack up some coon using them.

... Just ordered a dozen Duke DP's and now need to figure out what to use as bait. I am also going to use Parkers idea w/ the pvc in them.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/22/2013 10:50 PM

Originally posted by 76chevy:
thanks.

Just wondering, why orange?

[b] 76chevy,

[/b]
So they are easy for me to see if by chance one somehow gets lost. I was going to dye and wax them but decided to try paint. If I dont like it I can always re-do them. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 11:26 AM

[Linked Image]

the remake. Hoosier Trapper Top Dog bait and Coyote carnage lure. This set is fishing again

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 11:36 AM

thats a good looking yote. the face looks a little domesticated.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 11:39 AM

Nice catch. I like your setup. Do you use a shovel or auger? h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 11:44 AM

Thank you.

It is just a cheap bulb planting auger, 1.5 to 2 inches in diameter and about 30 inches long and fits right into my drill. It's pretty slick

Nice catch. I like your setup. Do you use a shovel or auger? h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 12:12 PM

Get after 'em Chevy!!!!! WTG!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 04:38 PM

Number 1!!!

Caught on a drainage ditch. Don't know how in the world he got that old tile around his leg. I used it up against my log backing to funnel them in to the front. He had to have crawled in it.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 04:43 PM

awesome bean. way to go.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 04:49 PM

YES!! Congrats!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 04:57 PM

nice! Way to go!
Posted By: Hanes

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 05:03 PM

Congrats Bean. Nice picture. Gotta be as good as taking a nice deer.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 06:15 PM

Nice catch bean....h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 07:08 PM

WTG BEAN!!!!!!!!!!! Good looking dog too! Alright....if you mugs keep this up, your going to FORCE me to quit deer hunting and start trapping...... laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 07:10 PM

Heck Yaz, I'm soo jealous I think I need to move! I wonder if my subdivision neighbors would mind if I put out a set or two!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 07:49 PM

WTG BEAN!!!!!!!!!!! Good looking dog too! Alright....if you mugs keep this up, your going to FORCE me to quit deer hunting and start trapping...... laugh
I am with ya Yaz, My deer hunting blows. I feel like I am way behind already on this trapping thing.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 07:56 PM

Originally posted by ParkerBow:
[b] WTG BEAN!!!!!!!!!!! Good looking dog too! Alright....if you mugs keep this up, your going to FORCE me to quit deer hunting and start trapping...... laugh
I am with ya Yaz, My deer hunting blows. I feel like I am way behind already on this trapping thing. [/b]
We'll get 'em in December, Jan, and Feb, PB.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 08:48 PM

the ones I am catching are still quite blue.

Just a guess, but likely only going to fetch a few bucks.

Those December and early Jan yotes are where the $ is. Some of the ones I have caught late have terrible broken down backs and are really not worth skinning.

....We'll get 'em in December, Jan, and Feb, PB.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 08:55 PM

I was going to ask you what they looked like Chevy. I only had two last year that I caught really late ( mid-March) that weren't worth skinning. But.....they were trouble makers and needed caught. So, I kept after them until I got them out of there,

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 09:01 PM

Heck Yaz, I'm soo jealous I think I need to move! I wonder if my subdivision neighbors would mind if I put out a set or two!
Sounds like you need to move back to the farm and get new neighbors Dave! laugh When I tell the neighbors around here that I'm catching coyotes again. They all ask me if they need to put their dogs up, and tell me to catch every one! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 09:03 PM

Mine had a little blue tint to it but I have no idea what to compare it to. I forgot how much these things stink. I am hoping to get one of those skinning machines. I can skin 3-4 deer in the time it took me to skin out the coyote. Get better as I go I guess.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/23/2013 09:14 PM

[b] Heck Yaz, I'm soo jealous I think I need to move! I wonder if my subdivision neighbors would mind if I put out a set or two!
Sounds like you need to move back to the farm and get new neighbors Dave! laugh When I tell the neighbors around here that I'm catching coyotes again. They all ask me if they need to put their dogs up, and tell me to catch every one! laugh [/b]
I still say you need to rent me the vacant room. I can cook.... wink cool eek

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 10/24/2013 08:14 PM

Originally posted by Weedhopper:
[b]
[b] Heck Yaz, I'm soo jealous I think I need to move! I wonder if my subdivision neighbors would mind if I put out a set or two!
Sounds like you need to move back to the farm and get new neighbors Dave! laugh When I tell the neighbors around here that I'm catching coyotes again. They all ask me if they need to put their dogs up, and tell me to catch every one! laugh [/b]
I still say you need to rent me the vacant room. I can cook.... wink cool eek [/b]
I sure miss my "cook". I need to loose a few anyway! BUT....HE!! NO............ laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/02/2013 12:44 PM

Caught this female in the same set that I caught a male in a couple weeks ago. I pulled up and she was asleep, honked the horn and woke her up.

The .22 short behind the shoulder worked great. No blood or mess. Thanks for that tip. Oh, and I caught this one 300 yards from where I watched 8 quail walk under my deer stand. Helpin' the quail out a bit.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/02/2013 03:48 PM

Way to go! cool
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/02/2013 09:06 PM

Nice Congrats

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/02/2013 10:09 PM

Great catch! That set is sure working for you. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/03/2013 07:49 AM

Great going Bean.
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/03/2013 08:35 AM

Awesome catch!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/04/2013 03:02 PM

You are killing them with the old drain pipe set!

I pulled a week ago before a camping trip then spent last week in Florida....I am ready to go for coon season on Friday.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/04/2013 04:46 PM

You are killing them with the old drain pipe set!

I pulled a week ago before a camping trip then spent last week in Florida....I am ready to go for coon season on Friday.
That old pipe drain is just laying there and I use it to guide the coyotes in a lil better. Seemed like a good idea at least.

I will start going for coons next week. I hunt Big Oaks this weekend. Pretty excited I got 3 more farms to trap just yesterday. Dog proofs and people having coyote problems really help get you permission.

Friend is working on making me a skinning machine. Pretty fun this trapping thing.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/04/2013 06:16 PM

wow, that is great. Catching some problem coon and coyotes can open some doors (and gates) for hunting access too.

With all I have read about the fur market, we are looking at the highest prices in years now too.

.....I got 3 more farms to trap just yesterday. Dog proofs and people having coyote problems really help get you permission.

Friend is working on making me a skinning machine. Pretty fun this trapping thing.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/05/2013 09:47 AM

Nice yapper bean!!! WTG!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 12:08 PM

No coons today but we caught this nice male coyote.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 12:18 PM

Really nice looking coyote. Congrats.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 12:52 PM

Awesome catch. He has some good belly white belly fur. Exactly what they want. He should fetch you some good pennies.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 02:03 PM

Congrats to you guys! Way to go Luke!!
Posted By: DawnPatrol

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 02:26 PM

Awesome....congrats!
Posted By: Gilley

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 04:45 PM

Yea nice looking coyote, way to go.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 05:45 PM

Nice catch! Look out Yaz, bean is in the passing lane! LOL

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 05:52 PM

Nice catch! Look out Yaz, bean is in the passing lane! LOL
Yeah right. Yaz will start catchin em when the snow flies and the snares are put to use. Need to learn how to do that.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 06:52 PM

Congrats Brian and Luke!!!! Great catch!!!!!! Man, this forum is starting to heat up!!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 08:36 PM

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice catch! Look out Yaz, bean is in the passing
Lane.

Your not gonna pass me cause i haven't even got out of the garage yet. smile Come Sunday I am gonna start though.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/29/2013 08:52 PM

That is a good looking yote, good job guys.
Posted By: buckwheat

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/30/2013 07:33 PM

I thought I would add one in. Snaring is pretty new 2 me. Ran what few snares I had this morning & this 35 pound male was taking a cold nap. My set is off of a North/South fence row that opens up to a large soybean field. Last year I snared another male in the same area. My kids really enjoy this & my daughter was ecstatic to see one on the line. I have a great partner in the outdoors. Just curious, what is considered to be a large coyote?

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/30/2013 07:37 PM

Also, my daughter noticed one of the feet was jacked up. Looked like a foot hold caught it's pad on the back right foot, Maybe?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/30/2013 07:43 PM

Nice going. Good hunting partner there also!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 11/30/2013 11:35 PM

Good job! Keep after 'em! Thats great to involve the young ones in trapping. I have weighed a lot of coyotes, and kept a log a lot of times. Most younger male coyotes weight around 25 to 30 lb. Older, more mature males will weight upwards of 40 lb. Several years ago, i caught two males the same day that both weighed 45 lb each.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/01/2013 12:15 AM

Good job bro! Looks like he was wearing a pretty tight necklace wink

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/01/2013 06:26 AM

Good catch! From the picture you can tell your daughter is very proud of her daddy! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/01/2013 08:03 AM

Nice!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/01/2013 10:15 AM

Sweet, hope to get some like that soon.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/03/2013 08:01 PM

here a pic of a couple of my coyote dirt hole sets please comment and critique.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/03/2013 09:02 PM

Here's one of mine also. What do you think. [Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/03/2013 09:31 PM

good looking sets!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/04/2013 12:38 PM

Yep! looking good!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/04/2013 09:15 PM

Some times it just pays to be lucky. That don't happen very often for me. Last night I rode back on the 4 wheeler to look at a couple coon sets and decided to drive by my favorite snaring hole. I noticed a little activity. This is where I took a picture of the quick link last night that I posted. I also noticed that when I finished last year, I just closed and wound the snare up in the fence. SInce I was running a couple coon traps back there till the weekend, I thought "what the heck".....

Its the big female that had 3 pups that I have been getting all the trail cam pictures of!!!! At least I got her out of the way before she could teach the pups bad habits, like digging up sets!!!! laugh I'd REALLY like to try to kill a deer this late season, and this is right where I hunt! So. I'll stay out there with the trapping after this week.
[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/04/2013 09:17 PM

thats a pretty yote.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/04/2013 09:32 PM

Everybody is out after the poor ole coyotes! laugh I bet 30 to 40% of the coyotes I catch have been shot at!!! And it is usually in the butt! This ole gal was no different. Had several in her behind!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: familytradition

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/05/2013 07:49 AM

Pretty one yaz. I one colored like that I'm trying to put some lead into.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/05/2013 09:32 AM

Nice going Yaz. Interesting life the yotes lead being the hunter and the hunted.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/05/2013 09:59 AM

Nice going Yaz. Interesting life the yotes lead being the hunter and the hunted.
As hard on them as I am, I sure have a lot of respect for these critters!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/05/2013 07:57 PM

Way to go Yaz!!!! I must have caught all the dumb ones last yr. No yotes for me "YET"

And all those look like holes in dirt to me fellas. smile There really is no right or wrong way to do a dirt hole. You just have to feel confient in your sets and get out as many as you can for better odds. But I really don't know what I am doing half the time either.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/05/2013 08:21 PM

It will be nice to have the snow to see their patterns. You'll tear 'em up I'm sure.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 12:20 PM

Check this big boy out!!! Waiting for us this morning in the snow. He weighed 43#. Luke was pumped as I was. Makes #4 so far. Front paw catch.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 12:34 PM

That's a really nice catch. Great picture.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 12:42 PM

that is a very nice coyote!
Posted By: SCHALL53

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 01:54 PM

WTG bean, that is one big yote.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 02:43 PM

YESSIR!!!! I knew you guys would figure it out!!! Nice going on a big ole boy Brian and. Luke!!!!! Hey bean.....if you dont mind, could you take a couple closeups of his canines? Front on, and side view???? No biggie if not.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 03:42 PM

YESSIR!!!! I knew you guys would figure it out!!! Nice going on a big ole boy Brian and. Luke!!!!! Hey bean.....if you dont mind, could you take a couple closeups of his canines? Front on, and side view???? No biggie if not.
Already gone. Sorry. Time to scout and put out some snares. Still after my buck as well.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 05:33 PM

Dang, that's a big ole dog. Nice catch Bean

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 05:39 PM

Ok, so the coon carcass I buried was dug up and dog tracks all around. Not sure how they missed the trap but they did. The carcass is still laying there so I didn't touch anything just rode the 4wheeler on by. Maybe they'll come back tonight. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 05:59 PM

I like to somehow corral them and make them come in a certain way. Like take a couple logs and steer them and make them stay a little longer around the trap.

They will be back, Coyote were really moving last night and this morning. Tracks all over the place when we checked our traps.

Good luck.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 06:34 PM

That is one big woofer there Bean. Nice catch. I am hoping after this snow they start moving. I usually catch a few the night when it snows. I have my paws crossed.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 07:00 PM

Nice one Bean. Congrats laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/06/2013 07:21 PM

Nice big dog! Keep up the good catches! h.h.
Posted By: Wes Coffman

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 07:35 AM

Great catch Bean. That is a big yote!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 09:10 AM

eek eek eek eek congrats bean!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 10:41 AM

Originally posted by Wes Coffman:
Great catch Bean. That is a big yote!
Hey Wes, you runnign the dogs tonight???? laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 10:44 AM

Gilley, you may have a yap there shortly.

Were all of those tracks on the down wind side of the carcass? If you don't have one in a couple of days, and they are still coming back, move a trap out away from there where they are circling. Bed it good with a very light coat of dirt on top, and sift snow over it.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 10:57 AM

Yaz, so why would they dig it up and not eat it or take it?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 12:50 PM

I do not know why. I just know I personally have never seen a coyote eat a coon. This little bit of snow and cold don't bother coyotes any. They are not hungry yet either. As long as they can hunt mice, voles, and their favorite foods they may not touch it. It just sparked their curiosity. They were just lucky they didn't step on that trap!!!!

This IS an interesting "experiment"!!! Keep us posted daily on the activity around it.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 01:01 PM

I like to somehow corral them and make them come in a certain way. Like take a couple logs and steer them and make them stay a little longer around the trap.

They will be back, Coyote were really moving last night and this morning. Tracks all over the place when we checked our traps.

Good luck.
I know its not very predictable. But remember one thing when setting a trap in front of a dirt hole, or scent post.......they will ALWAYS come in to the set with their nose in the wind. Our winds here are predominately W NW in the winter. So, I try to make make my sets where the trap is E SE of the hole/backing. ALso, when I have traps available, I make two sets around the expected path of travel. One set on the up wind side, and one on the down wind side. That way if they don't see the set, they will likely smell one of the two regardless of the wind direction. Use the wind as your corral.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 04:10 PM

I checked my snare line today and nothing again. I never even seen a yote track in the snow. I must have caught them all last year. "Yeah Right" I did not make it out deer hunting today either. Had to plow the drive way and put up a wooden mini blind for the wifey and I just feel like being lazy today. Try to get out there tomorrow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 04:31 PM

I have seen it, but only in February with a few inches of snow and bitter temps.

They came and ate on the coon carcass pile behind my house. They dragged several coon off and ate them. Food was very scarce then...now deer, beaver, or muskrat they love!

.... I personally have never seen a coyote eat a coon. This little bit of snow and cold don't bother coyotes any. They are not hungry yet either. As long as they can hunt mice, voles, and their favorite foods they may not touch it. It just sparked their curiosity. They were just lucky they didn't step on that trap!!!!

This IS an interesting "experiment"!!! Keep us posted daily on the activity around it.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 04:33 PM

Good advice. I so the same thing

Mark June did a demo at hoosier trapper a few years ago. He mentioned always thinking of the 45 degree angle. Federal research has shown that predators tend to move into a set at a 45 degree angle most often into the wind.

Put the trap in the middle and it is actually offset for them as they approach.

......remember one thing when setting a trap in front of a dirt hole, or scent post.......they will ALWAYS come in to the set with their nose in the wind. Our winds here are predominately W NW in the winter. So, I try to make make my sets where the trap is E SE of the hole/backing. ALso, when I have traps available, I make two sets around the expected path of travel. One set on the up wind side, and one on the down wind side. That way if they don't see the set, they will likely smell one of the two regardless of the wind direction. Use the wind as your corral.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 06:11 PM

Chevy,

They do like muskrat! Dad called me today hopping mad that the coyotes got two of his rats today. He had a couple in steel traps. Coyotes left him a couple of the feet in the traps!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 06:35 PM

Oh, I would be mad too--that's about $25.

I bet your dad has that coyote's hide in the freezer within the week laugh laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 07:16 PM

He said he didn't want to fool with the coyotes yet. But, hes going back in the morning with a couple fresh muskrat carcasses, and # 3's! laugh
Posted By: Wes Coffman

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 07:58 PM

Originally posted by Wes Coffman:
[b] Great catch Bean. That is a big yote!
Hey Wes, you runnign the dogs tonight???? laugh [/b]
Think I will sit this one out smile

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 09:45 PM

Good call. The only thing it would do is wizz you off at the dogs, cause the only thing they could find to tree is a possum! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/07/2013 10:06 PM

I did try to corral them with cornstalks. tried to get them to come in from one certain way and it just happened to be from the east so they were kinda facing the wind. pulled the trap today Yaz, it was just to cold and it was froze. to much clay right in that area to get a dusting of dirt on it. I still have some snares out for now.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 12:12 PM

[Linked Image]

Not a trapped yote but still a dead one. Shot this bitch this morning about 8:30, missed one yesterday morning. Still havent put my traps or snares out but thats gonna happen real soon! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 12:42 PM

Nice shootin' Tex!!! laugh It doesn't matter how they get dead...... wink That one sure is furry!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 03:00 PM

Yea, good job HH. Get'em all

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 03:05 PM

Do some call'n there hh? Congrats!!! I will say, seeing a yote barreling in on a rabbit in distress is one of my favorites laugh laugh laugh

Like my father-in-law says

"KILL'EM ALL"

He raises chickens wink

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 05:12 PM

Glad you took her in out of the cold HH.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 05:15 PM

Actually I was deer hunting when this one came by this morning. She is the smallest yote I believe I ever killed. Weighed about 20 lbs or so. She had warts on her lower lip. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 06:31 PM

You done goode HH. Since she had warts on her lower lip I guess you did not bother giving her a kiss. smile

I ran my snare line today and i did not seen a one yote track. I guess that is really a good thing. It may be slow for me this year. I have some new properties to set so maybe i will get on a few here and there.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 06:52 PM

I ran my snare line today and i did not seen a one yote track. I guess that is really a good thing. It may be slow for me this year. I have some new properties to set so maybe i will get on a few here and there.
Well YEA!!! You friggin' wiped 'em out last year!!! wink laugh

Two years ago I really hammered 'em on our place. 35 I think. Last year I think I only got around 10. Its nice to catch several of them. But its BETTER to not have any to catch! IMO I'll probably have to step out off the farm to catch any numbers of coyotes this year.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/08/2013 09:50 PM

Nice catch HH.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/09/2013 08:39 AM

I had snapped trap and a fresh steaming pile at one of my sets this morning. I think the peat moss bedded trap wobbled just enough to let him see another day. I reset and bedded it more tightly

Another couple sets got circled and also fresh piles

I hope to get some more sets out. Coyotes seem to be moving good around here.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/09/2013 09:11 AM

I had snapped trap and a fresh steaming pile at one of my sets this morning. I think the peat moss bedded trap wobbled just enough to let him see another day. I reset and bedded it more tightly

Another couple sets got circled and also fresh piles

I hope to get some more sets out. Coyotes seem to be moving good around here.
I'd take those "fresh steaming piles" personal Chevy! They are letting you know what they think of your sets!!!! :p

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/09/2013 10:22 AM

Have any of you guys ever used 12 penny nails on the outside of the jaws to pin the trap down? I saw a guy on youtube who used 4 12penny nails to pin the trap. He pushed them down in the ground, one on each end, on the outside of both jaws. He said this would keep the trap from moving and did not effect the catching ability.

Question, Will traps that are not waxed freeze quicker than waxed traps? h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/09/2013 10:56 AM

...Will traps that are not waxed freeze quicker than waxed traps? h.h.
Not that I can tell-frozen dirt is frozen dirt.

I paint all my land traps with rustoleum but have done the dye/wax method before also

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/09/2013 11:05 AM

Can't answer that question HH. I think having a powerful 4 coil trap in the ground that can break through the frozen dirt is more important. If you are bedding in peat, I can see the nail thing working. HOWEVER, I know as a farmer, I'd be PISSED If I had a flat on the tractor out in the field because of a 12 penny nail come spring!!! I can see those nails getting flipped up out of the set and being lost. The way my luck goes, I'd do it to myself!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/09/2013 07:23 PM

I promise Chevy those steaming piles were not from me. smile Although it seems I always get hit with the Urge when I am in the woods.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/10/2013 04:44 PM

OK, I put out 6 new dirt holes today. bedded 4 with peat moss and 2 with just dirt. Covered them real light hoping not to freeze them down. See if the ones in peat make a difference. Also hung a few more snares. Went by the coon carcass, Yaz, and its still there. Guess they just didn't want it buried. Was driving down a fence line looking for holes and crossings and jumped a small buck up. Think I ruined his hiding spot. smile

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/10/2013 07:32 PM

Good luck Gilley!! We want to see some pictures of one cuffed up! wink

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/10/2013 07:56 PM

Took the 4 wheeler back to look for coyote tracks, and get a place ready for a couple of sets. Between the 3" of fresh snow last night, and the wind, there were no coyote tracks. Thought I'd run back to the blind/plot and see if the deer have started to yard up on the place yet......................

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

THEY HAVE ARRIVED!!!! Trapping season is officially on HOLD until further notice!! laugh Snow and cold, and pressure got them in there a week earlier than usual. Time to check the broad heads, and make sure they are ready again.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/10/2013 08:04 PM

Looks like a deer carcass bait pile coming soon? Shoot straight!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/10/2013 09:20 PM

of our four coyote sets three had tracks in the snow right on them. i cleaned it out and freshened them up. the ground sure is soggy

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/10/2013 09:35 PM

of our four coyote sets three had tracks in the snow right on them. i cleaned it out and freshened them up. the ground sure is soggy
Tough trapping conditions! Been nice for the ground to have froze before the snow hit.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/11/2013 05:34 PM

Got #5 today. That makes half of our goal for this year.

This is the 3rd coyote in this one spot and where we caught the big one last week.

Another male:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Coyotes are really moving.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/11/2013 05:40 PM

Heck yea Congrats bean I am still wanting my first one.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/11/2013 05:49 PM

Nice job Bean. Zero for me today. Had a snare gone. I knew I should have used a bigger quick link. Still lots of tracks around too. These dang coyotes are driving me crazy. confused

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/11/2013 06:42 PM

Nice going Bean.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/11/2013 07:35 PM

Good catch bean!

Today we finally got some snow on the ground and tomorrow its time to set snares. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/11/2013 07:58 PM

nice one!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/11/2013 08:36 PM

ALRIGHT BEAN!!!!! Good catch. AND you completely fooled that one! If you caught him above the pad, then he put some pressure on the trap pan.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/11/2013 09:04 PM

Congrats bean!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/12/2013 01:45 AM

Heck yea Congrats bean I am still wanting my first one.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/12/2013 05:33 PM

Had another #3 set off. Man I am educating the crap out of these yotes. Think I have my tension set good so not sure if I'm not getting trap set firm enough or they're just not hitting it right? AAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!! mad

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/12/2013 06:11 PM

One of the reason why I like these forums is all the tip/ideas you get from others sharing their knowledge. I remade some coyote sets today using dry dirt from under a bridge. I never would have thought of that. Worked perfect.

I had to leave our "hot" set tripped yesterday due to not having anything to cover it with and of course there were a TON of coyote tracks, pee, and scat all around where we had the set. I should have put in another 1-2 but didn't have them with me. That is the job for tomorrow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/12/2013 07:51 PM

Cool. Pre salted with CaCl and NaCl also. =)

I learned it from another trapper too. Randy Smith of PA, if I remember correctly

One of the reason why I like these forums is all the tip/ideas you get from others sharing their knowledge. I remade some coyote sets today using dry dirt from under a bridge. I never would have thought of that. Worked perfect.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/12/2013 09:52 PM

Originally posted by Gilley:
Had another #3 set off. Man I am educating the crap out of these yotes. Think I have my tension set good so not sure if I'm not getting trap set firm enough or they're just not hitting it right? AAAUUUUUGGGGGHHHHHH!!! mad
Keep at it. You've got them coming. Just keep making adjustments, and one day you'll have one cuffed!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 09:20 AM

#5 on the season
[Linked Image]

The duke #4 strikes again!
[Linked Image]

the remake:
Hiawatha Valley bait
Hoosier Trapper red fox gland lure

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 09:28 AM

Nice catch. Be glad to give you our snow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 10:19 AM

Nice above the pad catch Chevy! Fooled his butt good!!!! I LOVE walking out on a set with a coyote in it! Almost as good as walking up on a deer I've just shot……MAYBE even better!!!! laugh I seen one pouncing on a mouse in the middle of snowy field this morning. Pretty sight.

HEY BEAN! Had to pass a mink dead on the interstate this morning! Too much traffic going 75 MPH! Wizzed me off!!!! :p laugh
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 10:27 AM

Nice looking yote Chevy... Generally what are the reactions you guys often get when you approach Coyotes that you've got in your traps...

I would think that they would be going berserk since they are tapped and can't get away from you...

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 10:31 AM

way to go chevy. thats a good looking coat.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 11:03 AM

Bryan,
Some are aggressive, some are more timid. This guy had a pretty bad attitude and was barking and howling from when we locked eyes.

Lots of bouncing and spinning usually.

The excitement of driving or walking up on one is what keeps me going on days when the temperature is 2 degrees (like yesterday) and I am looking at lots of empty sets.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 02:55 PM

Nice catch 76 chevy! . h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 02:58 PM

Awesome. Pretty yote......

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 04:05 PM

Good Job Chevy, you're tearing them up

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 07:03 PM

Ok Chevy….I gotta ask. Peat moss, or no peat moss? laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 07:12 PM

Looks like a picture in a magazine. Congrats Chevy.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 07:19 PM

congrats Chevy. good one

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 07:22 PM

no peat, I used dry dirt. laugh

Ok Chevy….I gotta ask. Peat moss, or no peat moss? laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 10:08 PM

Very nice 76!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/13/2013 10:13 PM

I didn't mention it before. And it may or may not be a problem. But I have noticed when there is moisture in the ground like we have in our area now ( you have dry frozen ground right now), is that the calcium actually draws moisture from the surrounding dirt.
I don't mix my calcium into my dirt before I make a set. I just use it under the trap and layer it in as I bed. Then sift some of the "native" dirt from the set over the top to blend. It don't freeze often, but it does leave a wet spot, with darker colored dirt in the middle where the trap is, with ring of dry dirt around the outside.
I don't know if this would cause digging, or a coyote to shy away from it.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/15/2013 08:51 PM

i havent been able to run our line much since been working but got out today and remade some sets and put a few snares out. the yotes are working all three of our dirtholes just not commiting. hopefully i fixed that today.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/15/2013 09:10 PM

Stay after them PSE.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/15/2013 09:24 PM

its amazing how much they will circle a set but stay just far enough away. the snow sure tells alot. seeing a lot of yote tracks . and very few coon if any at all.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/16/2013 09:18 PM

I'm not seeing any coyote tracks in the snow. You reckon I've got them all spooked off? I've got another farm to trap, thinking I might need to pull them all and move for a while.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/16/2013 09:39 PM

Gilley,

In my opinion, they move a LOT. It seems like the coyotes around us will move in for a week or so, then disappear for a couple weeks. Its like they have a route, in their core range that they do. There will be the occasional straggler that moves through. Usually a young male. I know when I start trapping/snaring hard for them in January, I will catch them 3 or 4 a week, then nothing for a couple weeks….except for that straggler. Then have a week with 2 or 3 more.

They do shy away from pressure though. Thats why I try to run my traps/snares from as far away as I can with the bino's. If I feel that I have pressured them, or I pinch one, I usually pull traps from that location for a couple weeks. Then go back into the area with a different set location, and different "look" to the set. I also keep track of which lures, bait, and scents I use at each location. Not only to know what is working, but also to know If I have been found out by them, which ones to use next time, so it gives them a "new" smell. It truly is a chess match! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/26/2013 07:20 PM

Finally got a snare victim today. A nice male. Photo was with my phone so not the best pic.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/26/2013 08:19 PM

NICE job PB!!!! How the he!! you guys snare em in such open areas??? I can't do it!!! I done a little deer/coyote scouting this evening. Got some "crawl unders" the coyotes are using. Got some coon bait stations set up to put traps sometime. Lots of fresh tracks. Got renewed "hope" on a buck, so I'll delay trapping for another week.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/26/2013 08:28 PM

Way to go PB. Got some good looking fur there laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/26/2013 08:45 PM

Good to see a picture! Congrats PB.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/26/2013 08:53 PM

Nice PB - keep it up.

Been no traps set here for over a week and I am having withdrawls. In WV for a couple more days and then going to hit it again.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/26/2013 09:03 PM

Love the pics! Nice one!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/27/2013 06:20 PM

nice one PB.

finally got 2 of 3 mb550's set today. how do you guys set those 650's??.......... i had a heck of a time setting the 550's.

snares and the other trap will be set out by monday.

i used hoosier trapper yote bait and yote pee in two hole sets. the ground was froze 2-3 ". i used peat moss and a leave to cover the pan.

this is my first attempt at foot hold trapping for yotes. maybe by the time seasons over I will have learned a few things. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/27/2013 07:33 PM

Nice PB. Sooner or later I'm gonna get one too.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/27/2013 10:47 PM

nice one PB.

finally got 2 of 3 mb550's set today. how do you guys set those 650's??.......... i had a heck of a time setting the 550's.

snares and the other trap will be set out by monday.

i used hoosier trapper yote bait and yote pee in two hole sets. the ground was froze 2-3 ". i used peat moss and a leave to cover the pan.

this is my first attempt at foot hold trapping for yotes. maybe by the time seasons over I will have learned a few things. h.h.
They will teach you a thing or two HH! You'll be boiling over mad before its over!!!! laugh

I can set the Duke #3's as easy as I can a 1.5. Those 650s are TOUGH!!!! Just about have to have a 3'rd hand! They just feel awkward to me.

I've been prospecting around the house here with a couple baited dirt holes with some rank scrap deer meat, just to see if I can get any coyote hits. I done everything but put a trap in them. I have not heard them in a could of weeks, so they are due back any time. When I walked out there to look today, its so friggin mushy, there is no way I'd set a trap in that slop! It is suppose to freeze back up early next week though.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/27/2013 10:59 PM

I got 6 more MB 550 off sets for christmas. I think they are alot easier to set then my duke modified 4 coils. I got more traps now then I can even set. smile I guess it's ok though cause the wife has more purses then she can wear at one time. smile

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/27/2013 11:18 PM

laugh Thats a good way to look at it PB!

I was 10 minutes too early on my last statement about the coyotes around here…….they're back! Right outside the bedroom window! Had to yell at them and my dog to shut up! :rolleyes: laugh I don't know how they know, but they DO know when we are about to start dropping calves around here!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/27/2013 11:26 PM

These 650's are the first dog less traps I have owned. Not having the base back there where the dog is at on the Dukes to hold on to when flipping the pan up into position is what feels odd to me. I can get the levers down ok. Its hard for me to hold the jaw down with one hand, and try to push the pan up with the other. Need the "3'rd" hand to flip that catch over to get it under the pan. I like how they hold down the front jaw too. I'll have to be careful when setting these suckers. I always flip the front jaw up while I'm bedding the inside of the jaws. Won't be able to do that with the 650's!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/28/2013 04:38 AM

These 650's are the first dog less traps I have owned. Not having the base back there where the dog is at on the Dukes to hold on to when flipping the pan up into position is what feels odd to me. I can get the levers down ok. Its hard for me to hold the jaw down with one hand, and try to push the pan up with the other. Need the "3'rd" hand to flip that catch over to get it under the pan. I like how they hold down the front jaw too. I'll have to be careful when setting these suckers. I always flip the front jaw up while I'm bedding the inside of the jaws. Won't be able to do that with the 650's!
i had a hard time holding the levers down and setting the dog. ive come up with an idea of using wood speed clamps to hold the levers down while setting. my hands about give out yesterday trying to set them. this was after running a chain saw all day. my arms feel like the fell off about noon yesterday! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/28/2013 08:25 AM

Am I the only one who just steps on the levers and set them??

You guys are using the good stuff, my coyote traps are all dukes. laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/28/2013 09:03 AM

chevy i also have dukes and just put them over my knee and use my hands to set them. sometimes you get bit but it hapoens.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/28/2013 10:20 AM

Caught a LOT of coyotes in Dukes. Nothing at all wrong with them. Especially for guys like us that do it as a hobby. Now, the long liners, and control guys......I can see why they would want to use the MB's. SOlID built trap, and most of the parts are replaceable just by unbolting them. Mine are dogless. Im always fooling with bent up dogs, pans, and frames on the Dukes. Stuff the pros dont have time to mess with.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/28/2013 01:42 PM

I have more trouble setting the Duke 1.5's than the 3's. seems like they're harder to hold open. You guys think the 1.5's will hold a coyote?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/28/2013 08:33 PM

I always heard that stepping on the levers to set them are hard on the levers and springs because you can over extend them. But like everything else in trapping, do what works for you.

Gilley I personally think 1.5 are too small for yotes. Yes they probably will hold them for a little while but will probably tear up a 1.5. I have caught them in sleepy creek 1.75 but prefer something #2 or bigger.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/28/2013 11:03 PM

PB I think you're right. I set a couple 1.5's in a dirthole set but thinking I might pull them up and just use them for coon. They just don't seem like they'd hold compared to my #3's.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/29/2013 12:58 PM

Checked my traps and one was tripped with rabbit or squirrel hair caught in the trap. Reset both traps. Not much sign right now. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/29/2013 01:55 PM

ok, this is the second time I've caught this dog. I was on the other side of the woods and heard him start screaming like a coyote. I had already ran the traps on that side and thought 'dang' I caught one while I was out there...lol. Well I jumped on the 4 wheeler and ran back over there only to find him and 3 other dogs. They all scattered but he couldn't frown Not sure how to keep them out of my traps but I guess it's not my problem. Only about 3 houses in that mile square. Anyhow I got him out, he was lucky 30 min later and he would have spent the night out there not just 5 min. [Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/29/2013 06:53 PM

He looks like a friendly, but not too bright of a fellow! laugh That would be ticking me off!!! All that work to make a set……..Do you know who the owners are?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/29/2013 07:53 PM

No, guess I could go check the nearby houses but thought maybe he'd learned his lesson. We had a husky once and if you know them they will wander for miles sometimes.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/29/2013 08:39 PM

Caught 1 boar coon today and this nice female yote. She was all tangled up in the bushes so it was hard to get a good picture.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/29/2013 08:42 PM

Gilley, I was having the same problem a few weeks ago. I caught 4 of the neighbors dogs. One I caught twice. I got so whizzed that I called the local sheriff and made a complaint. Indiana has a leash law and they can be fined per dog. He said he wa going to talk to the neighbor and said that if I caught anymore to call him and he would send someone out to take it to a shelter. Have not seen any dogs since.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/29/2013 08:58 PM

Nice PB. Have done the same thing on the dog issue. Certain neighbors don't speak to me anymore but that's ok with me.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/29/2013 08:59 PM

On an earlier discussion on hard setting traps. I broke these out to take a picture. I got them on a Bridger #3 i'm getting ready to wax. These "setters" fit the dukes. But with a little modification, will fit the Bridgers. I'm going to mod them to fit those 650's and keep them in my bucket in case I run into trouble in the field. They do work well. I just have not needed them until these 650's.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/30/2013 03:05 AM

Yaz,

Did you make them? Ive looked on the net for a trap setter but only came up with the one that fits Conibears. Yesterday I set the 550 over the head of my 3 lbs. hammer. Layed the hammer down which gave me something hard to push against. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/30/2013 08:26 AM

Dang!!!! Missed the Yote last night PB! I was on a little flu medication…. laugh Congrats.

HH,

Dad got these for me. He may have gotten them at the Trappers convention in Ohio this year. Might check HTS. I think I see n some last time I was in there.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/30/2013 09:09 AM

Found some setters on the net. One is made for the 650's and you can set it with one hand! h.h.

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Trap+Setters/MB-650+Trap+Setters

http://www.hoosiertrappersupply.com...ails/tabid/69/ProductID/655/Default.aspx

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/30/2013 12:44 PM

I like that first set! Looks easy, and frees up a hand, so I don't need three!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/30/2013 06:29 PM

Caught another fox today that makes 2 so far. I had this same set tripped 2 days ago and almost moved it yesterday. The third picture is the reset, we'll see if something come to all that scent. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/30/2013 08:06 PM

Beautiful red Gilley! Congrats! I sure wish we had more around here! I haven't seen a gray fox in 25 years!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/30/2013 11:07 PM

very nice red gilley. my favorite animal to see in the wild by far. the reset looks good also.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 12/31/2013 06:12 AM

Nice looking fox. My favorite animal to trap.

The coyote has pretty much run them out of this area, which is unfortunate.
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/01/2014 08:36 PM

Not many fox up here since the 'yotes moved in years back.....very seldom see any fox sign, but 'yotes, thats a whole different story ....

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/02/2014 12:12 PM

Anybody see the temps for the first of the week???? eek We'll see how well the calcium chloride works!!!! I think after the snow quits, I'll take a wide yard rake and broom, and go get the snow off the sets so it don't crust over my traps. Gonna be tough. If the snow don't get too deep, at least the snares will be working!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/04/2014 09:34 PM

Well Chit!!!!! Cow bone scent post. Snow too deep to connect! I shoveled off the snow, and broomed it down. Hope they come back tonight before the new snow comes.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/04/2014 10:03 PM

Yaz, you might be lucky to even see the bush tomorrow. No bird today. The wind in Madison above the Ohio River was probably 25 mph and no sign of birds but coyote tracks were literally everywhere.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/04/2014 10:24 PM

No luck for me either Dave. Deer were laying in the sun, out of the wind, 40 yards from my blind when I walked back. Needless to say, wasn't a very productive evening. Wind was bad today. The only place I could see tracks today were in the bottoms where the wind didn't blow the snow around.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/06/2014 08:42 AM

Now this guy knows how to catch yotes........h.h.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5BlGqmryX6I

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/06/2014 08:57 AM

I have seen this, very impressive catch for sure.

I was very interested to learn how he does it so I looking into it some more...

He uses heavily baited (100-200lbs) piles and ram power snares near Regina, Saskatchewan. He places the bait about 2 weeks prior to setting the area.

He also runs on a 3 day check. He was running 180 power snares on 27 bait stations 2+ miles apart.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/06/2014 10:57 AM

eek eek Holy Smokes, that's impressive

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/06/2014 02:03 PM

I got some MRI Saturday with the snow on. I need to adjust some sets. I'm also going to set a part of our farm that is two miles from where I normally set. I have never set for coyotes there, because we pull the cattle from there in the winter. It was covered up with coyotes tracks. We didn't get the snow. We had rain all day with about 2-3" of snow. I'll have sets in the ground tomorrow after the ground solids up enough to drive back there. I won't be venturing too far from the truck!!! eek laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/07/2014 02:59 PM

roughed the cold and managed to get three sets out this morning. the coyotes have really been moving the last few days.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/07/2014 03:41 PM

for sure, tracks everywhere. They are HAMMERING my coon carcass piles right now.

I know they don't love the coon meat like they do deer and other stuff, but they are hungry and the coon look pretty good to them. I would set snares if I could get out there to the piles more easily...

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/07/2014 03:43 PM

Got snares on the way!!!! Looks like a warm up this weekend. 40-50 degrees. Coons will be out as well.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/07/2014 03:55 PM

I relocated a couple of sets, and put up three snares in one spot. Lots of sign. The traps I put in before it rained Sunday, are froze in so tight I'm afraid to chisel them out. I'm afraid I'll bend them up.

I had to laugh at this one. I guess they couldn't get their deer leg through the fence. The deer leg had to have come off the Amish place next door! I snared a coon right here last week. Hope to have a yote here soon!

[Linked Image]

I made a dirt hole and a scent post close together in a place where they have been coming between a fence corner, and a steep bank. Its a good pinch point. I hope snot doesn't smell, because I couldn't keep it from dripping in my sets as I was making them!!! laugh Ground was tough to chop out and made a mess. Hope this one works!

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/07/2014 03:58 PM

Should be a great weekend for coon!

where did you get your snares from?

Got snares on the way!!!! Looks like a warm up this weekend. 40-50 degrees. Coons will be out as well.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/07/2014 04:04 PM

I bought the FNT coyote kit. Being a beginner I wanted the dvd and setting tool that came with a dozen snares.

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Snaring+Packages/Dakota+Line+Coyote+Snaring+Package

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/07/2014 04:16 PM

Looks good. Dakotaline makes great snares and those support wires make it so quick and easy to set them.

I have not tried the redman tool but it looks ideal to help push the supports into hard ground.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/07/2014 08:33 PM

I bought the FNT coyote kit. Being a beginner I wanted the dvd and setting tool that came with a dozen snares.

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Snaring+Packages/Dakota+Line+Coyote+Snaring+Package
What keep the snare/and support from spinning in the ground?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 01:06 AM

?? got me - I am just learning. Maybe the dvd addresses this. Will let you know.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 09:36 AM

Those would be good to set on tire tracks in a weedy field. Tomorrow I'm getting the tractor out and scout for yote tracks, set my feeders back up and put out some hay for the deer. I would take my 4 wheeler but Im afraid to get hung up in drifts. Lot of deep snow up here. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 11:43 AM

Newest video from HTS:

http://www.youtube.com/user/HoosierTrapperSupply/featured

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 12:05 PM

Thanks bean.........good videos to learn from while snowed in. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 01:43 PM

If the snow is that deep HH, snare or trap the tire tracks is a really good method! Good luck, and don't get stuck!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 03:38 PM

Dad has caught 4 coons in DP's in barns the last two nights.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 04:26 PM

they have a flat plate or washer welded to them usually to keep them from spinning.

[b] I bought the FNT coyote kit. Being a beginner I wanted the dvd and setting tool that came with a dozen snares.

What keep the snare/and support from spinning in the ground? [/b]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 06:16 PM

76 is correct. Here is the answer:

http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Snare+Supports/Freedom+Brand+Snare+Supports

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 09:32 PM

[b] I bought the FNT coyote kit. Being a beginner I wanted the dvd and setting tool that came with a dozen snares.

Hey received my snares today. The way they have the wire set up for this "kit" is to put a "U" at the bottom. One side is longer than the other and on the short side about 4-5". You will then pound the "U" into the ground w/ the snare tool and it keeps it from spinning. This kit does not have the washer. Very easy to make. Now that I know it will be very simple.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 09:43 PM

they have a flat plate or washer welded to them usually to keep them from spinning.

[b]

[/b]
Those are what I call "kill poles", which act as an entanglement pole, and the snare support. The kit Bean showed us was just the wire supports.

bean, do you just use earth anchors for the snare?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 09:53 PM

Yes, I will use earth anchors where no other anchoring is available. In the video he uses rebar. Read above on how the wire support is used to not spin as bad.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/08/2014 10:09 PM

Sorry, read right by it bean! That looks pretty easy! Thanks!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/09/2014 10:30 AM

got out yesterday and set a new area for me. it is loaded with coyotes my buddy had it set a couple weeks ago and pulled before the bad weather. all his sets were tore up with yotes so we put the traps back in. hope to have one today.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/09/2014 03:37 PM

[b]

Hey received my snares today. The way they have the wire set up for this "kit" is to put a "U" at the bottom. One side is longer than the other and on the short side about 4-5". You will then pound the "U" into the ground w/ the snare tool and it keeps it from spinning. This kit does not have the washer. Very easy to make. Now that I know it will be very simple. [/b]
I made my own supports and driver like this and they work well. Just bend a 2 inch J at one end. I can usually just push them in where there is soft ground and then if the ground is harder use the driver over the J and tap it in. They don't move much and you can set them anywhere.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/09/2014 03:42 PM

I relocated a couple of sets, and put up three snares in one spot. Lots of sign. The traps I put in before it rained Sunday, are froze in so tight I'm afraid to chisel them out. I'm afraid I'll bend them up.

I had to laugh at this one. I guess they couldn't get their deer leg through the fence. The deer leg had to have come off the Amish place next door! I snared a coon right here last week. Hope to have a yote here soon!

Yaz,
You may catch an Amish dude in that snare trying to get that leg back. You know how much they love deer. smile

[Linked Image]

I made a dirt hole and a scent post close together in a place where they have been coming between a fence corner, and a steep bank. Its a good pinch point. I hope snot doesn't smell, because I couldn't keep it from dripping in my sets as I was making them!!! laugh Ground was tough to chop out and made a mess. Hope this one works!

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/09/2014 04:53 PM

If the snow is that deep HH, snare or trap the tire tracks is a really good method! Good luck, and don't get stuck!!!!
Didnt get to set snares or feeders today. Snow blower broke and took me most of the day to fix it. Cant set snares now til Saturday.

Lot of 4-5ft drifts and the snow is hard packed, easy to get stuck in. Weather man is calling for rain Sat....figures. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/10/2014 10:33 AM

I'm starting to get a complex…..irrational thoughts, and behavior are starting to set in…These dammed coyotes are kicking my AZZ!!! laugh They have been all over, walking right by sets, and they are not even getting a sniff! They aren't even looking at holes in the fence to cross either. Night before last, I put out one of their favorite snacks…..calf afterbirth!! laugh They circled it once, and went one…. :rolleyes: Something HAS to change!!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/10/2014 07:31 PM

To add insult to injury……there were 5 of em locating tonight as I was feeding after dark tonight!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/10/2014 09:53 PM

Anybody need a barn insulated….with coyotes!!!! laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/10/2014 10:15 PM

Makes you think they learn that your land is taboo and to not investigate anything that isn't live. The fence crossing thing does seem odd unless they are starting to be able to make out the snare wire, which I know is crazy.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/10/2014 10:30 PM

Makes you think they learn that your land is taboo and to not investigate anything that isn't live. The fence crossing thing does seem odd unless they are starting to be able to make out the snare wire, which I know is crazy.
My thoughts……Its a whole new group of coyotes. Most of the ones from the last two years are gone. The new group that has moved in just don't know the "holes", and have different patterns that the ones from previous years. They need to get with the program, and start using the holes in the fences that their predecessors did!!!! laugh

They back out of a hole in an instant if they see a snare. Especially, if its not been there before. I need to quit being lazy, and blend them in better. This group is going to require some work!

As far as the traps go, that one has me scratching my head. The first two weeks I have had traps in the ground has been tough wether wise. Maybe it'll change with the weather.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/10/2014 10:54 PM

I've got an old friend south of Lafayette that has had a couple of snares out for a couple of weeks and his only catch was a red. This guy is 69 years old so he doesn't go at it hard but he said that in the deep snow this week he had coyotes backing out from snares he has had up for a couple of weeks. He said they then make a huge circle and come to the deer carcass from the other side of the thicket, along a county road, where there is no fence.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 08:46 AM

Most of my snares have a slight brown color, as I dyed them last spring, when there was no snow. They stand out like a turd in a punch bowl against the snow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 09:52 AM

Ah Marty Seneker from Saskatchewan. All those were caught in snares.

he has caught more in a day than I have in ten years of trying. Super nice guy also, helped me with some questions via email.

he has some great products also, not all legal in Indiana though.

http://www.martysenneker.com

Anybody need a barn insulated….with coyotes!!!! laugh

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Cornfed

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 02:00 PM

It says the snares have a one way cam lock. Is that ok in Indiana? You happy with the kit and DVD? I think I'm going to buy the same thing, too. What a muddy mess up here in NE Indiana......

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 02:51 PM

Originally posted by Cornfed:

It says the snares have a one way cam lock. Is that ok in Indiana? You happy with the kit and DVD? I think I'm going to buy the same thing, too. What a muddy mess up here in NE Indiana...... [/b]
I am checking on the legality of the snares. I have not put any out until I clarify. The dvd is pretty basic. Just shows how to set snares, blend them in and a little on location. It is done w/ a hand held recorder and has no editing really. It was okay and had some helpful info for me being a beginner.

Maybe Chevy or Yaz can clarify the lock. Is this legal: http://www.fntpost.com/Products/Snare+Locks+Dispatch+Springs/Cam+Lock+Snare+Lock

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 04:37 PM

the lock must be a "relaxing" style lock on land

There is however some interpretation required to define "relaxing"

Every CO I have talked to won't (or can't) give a clear answer as to what this actually means or which products are or are not "relaxing" locks

regulations read as follows:
================================

Snares

It is only legal to use a snare to trap a wild animal on land you own or with the written permission of the landowner. The maximum legal circumference for snare loops is 15 inches, unless at least half of the snare loop is covered by water or if the snare employs a relaxing snare lock. A relaxing snare lock allows the snare loop to loosen slightly to reduce the possibility of strangulation. Regulations on snare size and lock are designed to prevent accidental loss of domestic animals.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 06:55 PM

Sorry bean, but I dont think those would qualify as relaxing. I use the mico locks, and the small washers. Smaller the lock means less refusals. They see those bigger locks......trust me.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 07:02 PM

How hard would it be to cut those off and add a new lock? I am trying to return them for a different kind and explained what is going on. Who knows, just need to get some more I guess. I liked that they were dyed and loaded.

Thanks guys.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 08:25 PM

Pm me your address again bean. Ive probably got enough washer and micro locks, as well as aluminum ferrels to change you out if you want to do that. I save ALL of my used snare parts. They are easy to change out.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 08:45 PM

I have micro locks on my snares. The way I read the rules you dont have to have the relaxing locks unless you set them with a loop on land, larger than a 15" loop. I set snares for yotes using the 12", 12" rule.

I will say last year I caught the neighbors 2 dogs in the same day and both were alive and were released unharmed. And, i did warn him i hard snares out.

Bean, I too cut off the old hardware to make new snares. I use a Dremel with a cutoff blade, works very good. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 08:53 PM

Thanks guys and Yaz I will send it in a bit. Thanks.

The way I read the rule is that it is 15" circumference not diameter. It seems that the 15" circumference would be too small?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 09:03 PM

Bean you are right, my mistake. I was thinking diameter. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/11/2014 10:27 PM

I actually like the relaxing locks. I have NEVER had a coyote get out of one once he is in it. Since Indiana has the 24 hour check law, it does not matter if the coyote is not dispatched by the cable. A lot of states have more relaxed check laws. Guys that run long lines cannot get to every set, every day. I could see where they want the coyote D.OA.. So they use the cam/ ratcheting locks, and kill springs that does not back off when the coyote quits pulling. The longer they are in there alive, the greater chance they have of breaking something, or chewing out. One advantage I have snaring fences, 90% of the coyotes I catch, jump over, or back through the fence, and are dead when I get to them. Setting in heavy brush, will do the same thing. They get tangled up tight, and its lights out. I cannot find any regulations against it here, but there is a simple entanglement device that can be used when snaring open trails. Its basically a rebar snare support, that is driven in the ground far enough to hold a coyote. They wrap up on it, and it does them in quickly.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 06:21 AM

Finally get to set my snares today! Snow has melted down to 6" or less and I can get the gate open without shoveling. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 03:42 PM

Here are a few pictures of the snares I set. One of them I drove the 4wheeler real close to the edge of the thicket and set my tracks. The snare looks like its not centered but it is, camera angle. Yotes were working this hilltop thicket real good. There after rabbits in the thickets. I set 8 and would have set more but forgot my anchors. If you have any questions or comments please ask. h.h.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 06:13 PM

looks good HH. I caught 3 coons today and had this pretty female yote waiting for me in a snare this morning. When she seen me she went absolutely nuts bouncing around. I had to hurry up and take a picture cause I was afraid she wa gonna break the cable. I also had another one in a snare and somehow the nut pulled or broke off the cable.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 06:35 PM

H.H. - looking nice. Look forward to your catches.

PB - once again well done. Cool lookin coyote.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 07:04 PM

Good catch PB! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 07:10 PM

H.H. - looking nice. Look forward to your catches.

PB - once again well done. Cool lookin coyote.
Sent you a PM, Bean.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 07:11 PM

And good looking catch there, PB!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 08:07 PM

Caught this little female today. I have caught a lot of coon in this hole. Don't be surprised how small a hole they will try to squeeze through. Got all but three of my traps unthawed, and re-made today. Had one tripped, obviously by a fawn!!! Put a couple more snares in, and blended in some others.

Nice catch PB! Those snare sets look really good HH! I will be really interested to see if the one in the quad trail works. It should!

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 09:28 PM

Good going Yaz, looks like she has a nice white belly.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 09:33 PM

Nice yaz way to get it done finally on them new yotes

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 10:17 PM

Nice catch Yaz! Love catching those females. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/12/2014 10:42 PM

Nice Yaz. Good to see the coyote pics everyone.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/13/2014 10:09 AM

+1 the only thing better than catching a coyote is catching a female coyote.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/13/2014 02:30 PM

Checked snares today and they were empty. No fresh yote tracks anywhere so they must have left but they will be back soon. Had a friend with me today so didnt get a chance to set any more but I will tomorrow. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/13/2014 03:58 PM

This weather really stinks. Everytime I put out some footholds it rains the next day. I am putting in mostly flat sets or post sets. the few dirtholes I put in always get filled with water. Grrrrrr.
Do you guys re-lure after a rain and what do you do when your dirt holes get filled with water? Do you pull them and reset or let them go for a few days?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/13/2014 08:32 PM

Had this one tonight! This snare guarded this hole for two months! I was on the 4 wheeler feeding the bulls. this snare is about 200 yards from the lot, and I look at it with bino's every night. It was almost completely dark when I got there, but could see something, one second, then nothing. Then see it again. I thought it was the wind blowing foxtail. Then…..I heard the bark…..Off across the bean field I went on the 4 wheeler. BTW- ITS MUDDY OUT THERE!!!! I thought I was going to get hung on the quad!!! eek As you can tell…I had my loop too big. Hip snared this one. I don't like that!!! He tore the crap out of stuff!!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/13/2014 08:34 PM

nice. Another one bites the dust!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/13/2014 08:36 PM

Good job.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/13/2014 08:38 PM

This weather really stinks. Everytime I put out some footholds it rains the next day. I am putting in mostly flat sets or post sets. the few dirtholes I put in always get filled with water. Grrrrrr.
Do you guys re-lure after a rain and what do you do when your dirt holes get filled with water? Do you pull them and reset or let them go for a few days?
You aren't chitin'!!! I have one dirt hole on a high spot in some sod. It still looks good, and no water in the hole. The rest are scent post sets that I don't have to worry about the bare dirt covering washing off. It is TOUGH to canine trap in this crap. I only re-bait once a week regardless. If the holes and trap beds are full of water, and it freezes toward the end of the week, we are screwed again! ALl this rain washes out the calcium. Its do over time AGAIN!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/13/2014 11:19 PM

Good catch! Keep after them. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 08:53 AM

Nice bright full moon last night yotes should have moved good. Hopefully ive got a couple today waiting on me. After a few cups of 8 O'Clock dark roast coffee Im heading out to check my snares. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 09:09 AM

hope you got a pile of em HH!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 02:09 PM

Bummer! All empty today but I found where they went and set 6 more today for a total of 14 snares. I would have set more but ran out of snares. I plan on making more tonight and setting at least 10 more. I bought the 100 snare kit last year so ive got plenty of makins'.

There was one track that was huge, maybe 3 - 3 1/2" wide. This is one big male, just hope its not a big neighborhood dog. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 04:39 PM

Had this fiesty female waiting for me today. I caught her in a big hole step down set. She gave me the whole show of barking and then howling. Totally awesome. This one catch made my season.
I pulled the trap and put a fresh trap in and made a re-make. Hope to catch her significant other soon. smile

Awesome catch there Yaz. Looks like a big ole thang.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 04:46 PM

That is awesome!! Cool pic!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 04:57 PM

Nice picture PB. Makes me wonder what the howl says to others and what goes through their mind when they hear it.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 05:56 PM

Good catch! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 07:51 PM

Nice on PB. I'm gonna try a few of those step downs hopefully tomorrow if I can get out there. Been battling the Flu for about 2 weeks. Dang I'm tired of this

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 08:01 PM

Love the pics PB! I notice 3 things in the pic. One, you actually have semi-solid dirt! Its so friggin soggy around here, I can't run the 4 wheeler across the bean fields without cutting ruts! #2. you have a nice turd for your re-make! laugh #3, you got a nice pad catch on her. MB trap?

Question…..on your re-makes. You set inside, or outside the catch circle?

I had two hours in re-making 5 sets today. The sun was shining, and a beautiful day. Then the clouds rolled in, opened up and washed it all away! I give up!!!!! :rolleyes:

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 08:03 PM

Nice on PB. I'm gonna try a few of those step downs hopefully tomorrow if I can get out there. Been battling the Flu for about 2 weeks. Dang I'm tired of this
I wondered where you been Gilley!!!! Sure hope you get to feeling better soon!!!

If I made a step down set right now, I'd have a swimming pool!!!!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 08:44 PM

Great catches guys!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 09:10 PM

Love the pics PB! I notice 3 things in the pic. One, you actually have semi-solid dirt! Its so friggin soggy around here, I can't run the 4 wheeler across the bean fields without cutting ruts! #2. you have a nice turd for your re-make! laugh #3, you got a nice pad catch on her. MB trap?

Question…..on your re-makes. You set inside, or outside the catch circle?

I had two hours in re-making 5 sets today. The sun was shining, and a beautiful day. Then the clouds rolled in, opened up and washed it all away! I give up!!!!! :rolleyes:
On this one I set inside the catch circle. Depends on how tore up the sets are as to where I re-set. I put in a clean trap since this one was mud caked. The trap was a 1 3/4 sleepy creek with modified outside laminations. Yes I actually cabbaged onto a few turds to put on the remake and on another set about 20 yards away. I cannot believe this hole was not full of water.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/14/2014 09:27 PM

hey PB, how far out in field you make you sets? you right along field edge or you go out a few rows or you just setting where tracks are?

Thanks Yaz I am starting to feel better. Pulled all my traps before snowstorm hit then got sick and haven't got them back out. hopefully I can get some out tomorrow...running out of time.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 02:50 PM

Snared this young male today in a fence set. He was snare around the waist and still alive. A friend was with me and he wanted to shoot the yote with his new .17 HMR. He shot the dog in the head and it went down. we walked up and started to unhook the snare off the fence and my buddy bent down and one knee looking at dog. He started to take the snare off and I saw the dog's eye move. I told him the dog was still alive and hes no he aint i shot him between the eyes. All of the sudden the dog sits up and my buddy jumped back grab his gun and shot him again. Remade the set but the was a lot of blood with the head shot. I didnt know he was going to head shoot him or i would have stopped him.

[Linked Image]

Picture is not to good, wind was blowing hard. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 03:01 PM

Cool catch and congrats!!
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 04:34 PM

Where do you shoot them then? I always thought that is where you did it...

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 04:39 PM

hey PB, how far out in field you make you sets? you right along field edge or you go out a few rows or you just setting where tracks are?

Thanks Yaz I am starting to feel better. Pulled all my traps before snowstorm hit then got sick and haven't got them back out. hopefully I can get some out tomorrow...running out of time.
Gilley,
You can see a T-post in the picture. This set was where the cornfied made a point next to a CRP field. It is about 10 rows out from the corner. i also have another set in the top of the picture where that stuff is laying.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 04:42 PM

Originally posted by Bryan78:
Right behind the shoulder. Less bloody. They just lay down and die very quickly. I thought head shot too, but learned a lesson.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 05:41 PM

[b] Where do you shoot them then? I always thought that is where you did it...
Right behind the shoulder. Less bloody. They just lay down and die very quickly. I thought head shot too, but learned a lesson. [/b]
x2 h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 06:11 PM

I shoot them square in the lungs. The last one was with a short hollow point, and he did not bleed one drop. Quick too.

BTW- Good catch HH. Stay after them!!!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 06:44 PM

Here is the re-make of the hole I caught the last coyote in. The wood post to the right was chewed completely off!!!! There was a semi circle of dirt dug a foot deep on both sides of the fence. Not a stalk of weed or grass anywhere. It took me an hour, and a lot of bailing ware to get it back in shape!!!!! That's why I don't like hip snaring them! I made my loop a little smaller this time! wink

[Linked Image]

Had time to make a post set. When the snow was on, this spot was yellow from all the "passerby's". The ground up on this hill was about right for a set. Not too sloppy!

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/15/2014 09:15 PM

Yaz, That post looks like it has been there a year or two. Looks like an awesome spot.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 01:36 PM

Snares were empty today. Oh well, god willing there is always tomorrow. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 08:26 PM

My second coyote set I made yesterday was a walk through flat set, with bean chaff piles on each side. It was on the highest spot on the lane, where the coyotes have been gathering and locating. Well……this isn't a coyote…… laugh ) 0 for 2 on the new coyote sets!!!!!

My 4'th catch of the day involved a call to my father and a catch pole, and the cable;e cutters……. :rolleyes:

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 08:29 PM

Beautiful catch Yaz!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 09:09 PM

Nice Catch Yaz.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 09:14 PM

Sweet catch. I think I would have to let one go if I caught it or maybe have it mounted.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 09:35 PM

Good job yaz, love pics of fox with snow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 09:55 PM

Good catch Yaz and I commend you for releasing it unharmed. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 10:12 PM

Good catch Yaz and I commend you for releasing it unharmed. h.h.
Nope……that one didn't get released. I usually do. Several different circumstances all combined worked against him. It just wasn't in the cards. I had to release a domestic canine from a snare tonight.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 10:18 PM

thats a beautiful fox. they are my favorite fur there is.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 10:57 PM

[b] Good catch Yaz and I commend you for releasing it unharmed. h.h.
Nope……that one didn't get released. I usually do. Several different circumstances all combined worked against him. It just wasn't in the cards. [/b]
Im sure you made the right decision. Up here they are so scarce Im hoping I dont snare one. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/16/2014 11:19 PM

I hated it. We don't have very many either. I did hear of a couple of litters in the neighborhood this spring.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/17/2014 06:37 AM

22 short to the lungs, same shot placement as a deer

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/17/2014 03:19 PM

Nice catch Yaz on the fox, I haven't caught the first fox this yr yet. I did have this snare victim waiting for me today. I don't think she had been snared for just too long. She did not have the area tore up too much.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/17/2014 04:10 PM

Nice one PB! My snares where empty today. I missed one at the bait pile. I thought the stick i pushed into the ground would freeze solid but it didnt and turned when the yote bumped it. Reset it and added one on a trail on the other side, where they have been coming in. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/17/2014 04:44 PM

Good picture PB. Surprising how little the area did/does look torn up.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/18/2014 08:02 PM

Nice catch PB! Good sized female. This is the scent post set I caught the coon in yesterday. I tidied up the set, but didn't put the trap back in. A pair of foxes had been all over, including in the old barn. Hoping they have a litter in there again. I had intentions of setting a trap back in there today. I did NOT. As you can see, they both were on the set, and one would have been caught. This is going to get difficult, catching the coyotes, and NOT the foxes.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/18/2014 08:29 PM

About how far back are those tracks from the scent post?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/18/2014 09:31 PM

Originally posted by Haymaker:
About how far back are those tracks from the scent post?
About 8". But, after the coon was in there, I'm sure there was all kind of scent around there. Those 3 little sticks you see pointing toward the tracks had gland lure on them also.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 10:41 AM

Congrats on the latest catches PB and Yaz! Great pics!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 05:49 PM

BIG dog!!!!!! Will weigh this one before I skin it tonight. Gotta give Peter Cottontail the assist on this one. Tracks in the snow showed where Mr. coyote had chased the rabbit through the bottom. The rabbit slid under the snare, and the coyote didn't!!!! laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 07:15 PM

eek eek eek wowzers.......congrats! Look @ the rear end on that sucker!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 07:21 PM

Dang that is a big coyote!!! Look forward to hearing that ones stats. Nice job.
Posted By: whitetaildave24

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 07:57 PM

That is a big ol' dog. Congrats on that catch.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 08:14 PM

That is huge! Congrats bubba!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 08:14 PM

Nice catch! That old boy was a deer killer for sure! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 08:21 PM

Wow! Big dog!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 08:25 PM

Nice one Yaz, sure he could fit under that fence?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 08:25 PM

Nice big dawg Yaz. I was able to get out 10 new sets today. Hopefully I will connect with a few of them.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 08:33 PM

[Linked Image]

This is the track set I made last Sunday. After a fresh snow last night a yote walked the track for over 100 yards in the track the set is in. Just before the set he followed a track around the set made by a friends quad who ran my snares yesterday.

When I saw he drove around the set yesterday I was P.O.ed to say the least. When I showed him the snares we parked the quads back about 60 yards and walked by the set to check a couple more sets.

He basically ruined the set.

Friday a neighbor went with me to check snares. He is snaring some land he owns too. I missed a yote on a little trail in some wheat straw. I was remaking the set and here he come walking up the yote trail, i walked 4-5 ft to the side of the trail. He pretty much ruined that set.

Sad part is both these guys have trapped for years and should have know better but some trappers are not good snarers and some snares are not good trappers.

From now on no one but I will be checking snares. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 08:37 PM

45 lb. - 8 oz. Just like in striper fishing…..that 50# still eludes me! laugh I honestly thought he was heavier than that.

I pulled everything but a handful of snares, and a couple of traps. Snow keeps blowing over my foot holds. I only have 2 DP's out right now. Cows are in full swing, dropping calves what seems like every couple hours. Between work, and checking cows/calves before work, and feeding and taking care of calves until 8:00pm every night, I'm wore out! I only left sets that I can quickly scan from the truck with the bino's. Hopefully by the last week of the coon season, It will have settled down a little where I can get a few more sets back out.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 09:01 PM

[Linked Image]

This is the track set I made last Sunday. After a fresh snow last night a yote walked the track for over 100 yards in the track the set is in. Just before the set he followed a track around the set made by a friends quad who ran my snares yesterday.

When I saw he drove around the set yesterday I was P.O.ed to say the least. When I showed him the snares we parked the quads back about 60 yards and walked by the set to check a couple more sets.

He basically ruined the set.

Friday a neighbor went with me to check snares. He is snaring some land he owns too. I missed a yote on a little trail in some wheat straw. I was remaking the set and here he come walking up the yote trail, i walked 4-5 ft to the side of the trail. He pretty much ruined that set.

Sad part is both these guys have trapped for years and should have know better but some trappers are not good snarers and some snares are not good trappers.

From now on no one but I will be checking snares. h.h.
Sorry HH….I had to chuckle a little at the picture, before I read about it. laugh Idda been mad too! Run back through the original tracks a couple of times and reset the snare. Take a broom with you, and from the quad, push snow back in where they are going around. They'll use it again.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 09:10 PM

Originally posted by DawnPatrol:
eek eek eek wowzers.......congrats! Look @ the rear end on that sucker!
You saying those Carharts make my azz look big????? :p laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/19/2014 09:31 PM

We all know you got a BIG azz :p ! Looking at the fence behind ya in that pic.......I would have never guessed a traditional hunter like you......would be hunting/trapping in a "high fence" preserve eek laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/20/2014 09:43 AM

We all know you got a BIG azz :p ! Looking at the fence behind ya in that pic.......I would have never guessed a traditional hunter like you......would be hunting/trapping in a "high fence" preserve eek laugh
That part of the farm is surrounded by Amish folks. That fence is not designed to keep the game in, but keep the Amish OUT!! Notice the 2' hole I'm standing in that was dug under the gate. That coyote was just "by catch"!!! laugh laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/20/2014 03:40 PM

Caught this female today in a set that produced last year. She tore up the set so I moved it to the other side of the pines. There was another with her that circled around a couple times. Love catching those females. The last two I've caught had fur rubbed off around the shoulders so I pitched them. Im not snaring for fur so much as for deer/turkey predator control. h.h.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/20/2014 04:02 PM

Nice one hh!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/20/2014 07:41 PM

Good going HH. It is very satisfying to outwit one of these buggers.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/20/2014 08:31 PM

Great catch HH!!! Female makes it even better! I had a refusal at snare today. I don't understand why. Its blended in about as well as I can get it. Makes ya wonder how many refusals you get when the snow is not on, and you can't see tracks.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/20/2014 08:38 PM

Congrats HH

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/20/2014 08:41 PM

I look forward to the day when you guys have caught them all! Nice going HH.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 02:11 PM

I'm out of commission!!!! All snare holes filled completely with snow. The few steel traps I have set, are drifted over big time! This is getting OLD quick!!! Its a full time job keeping a 1/2 dozen sets working!!!! :rolleyes:

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 02:20 PM

Yeah same here. Had 1 coon today at the creek. The trap was sheltered by an overhanging bank. All our coyote sets are buried. One thing that was cool,the set I caught the fox yesterday had 2 sets of fox tracks go by it. Barn sets are okay but not much moving.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 06:07 PM

Yea, I had coyote tracks go right past a couple of my sets too but they are under 2 ft of snow drifts also. I swept them off tonight hopefully the wind will lay for a few days. I actually went out tonight and was gonna pull my traps but ended up setting another one laugh Just to many tracks to ignore.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 06:08 PM

Caught another female today in a set that was on an disposable anchor, that's 3 females so far. I use the anchor because no big trees were close. She was still alive. When she would bark at me I barked back and immediately she would bark again. It got kind of comical. She had good fur so she will be tanned.

[Linked Image]

We got blowing and drifting snow too. A drift completely covered up my corner fence set. I dont have any traps out, all snares. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 06:20 PM

Congrats again hh.......that is a cool setup!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 07:20 PM

Nice job HH

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 07:39 PM

You are on a roll now HH! Keep it up!!!! I use cable stakes on my snares in fences if I can't get it around a post. They will flat tear a good fence down if you wire it directly to the fence.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 08:16 PM

Nice job HH. Between the weather and grinners messing up my sets it has been a rough year. Put in 5 new sets on a different farm today. It is a very tough year. But i don't know what else I would rather be doing.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 08:19 PM

Keep going HH. Getting ready to snare pretty hard. Only 2 out right now.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/21/2014 08:29 PM

Good job HH, keep after'em

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/22/2014 07:51 AM

Thanks guys!

These 1=2 inch snow we been getting every day makes it easy to see where the yotes are moving. This set was the first one I put in 10 days ago on a trail a yote used.

Catching these females took 10-24 pups out of the gene pool and will save count less small game and fawns. Guys who own their own hunting ground should be aggressive trapping or snaring right now because every fawn saved might be that booner they are after. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/22/2014 11:57 AM

I bet the coyotes moved good last night since the wind laid. Too bad I didn't have time to uncover everything last night. I'm sure I will be cussing tonight as I look sets over!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/22/2014 05:54 PM

Had a set along the ditch that was covered by about a 2-3 ft snow drift. Was having trouble locating it then saw a big piss spot in the snow about where it was. Dug out the snow and what do you know, there's my set. Dang yote is just making fun of me mad

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/22/2014 07:39 PM

Thanks guys!

These 1=2 inch snow we been getting every day makes it easy to see where the yotes are moving. This set was the first one I put in 10 days ago on a trail a yote used.

Catching these females took 10-24 pups out of the gene pool and will save count less small game and fawns. Guys who own their own hunting ground should be aggressive trapping or snaring right now because every fawn saved might be that booner they are after. h.h.
HH. Did you relure the set anytime during that 10 days?? The weather here has been brutal the last few days. I have 10 new sets out on a new farm and man it was windy and cold. Tried to make a burnt bush set but the wind kept blowing my lighter out.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/22/2014 09:13 PM

Had a set along the ditch that was covered by about a 2-3 ft snow drift. Was having trouble locating it then saw a big piss spot in the snow about where it was. Dug out the snow and what do you know, there's my set. Dang yote is just making fun of me mad
He pissed there because he could smell your set under the snow. Hope you broomed it off and re-lured it!

As I suspected, coyotes moved good during the night. Tracks were everywhere, including up to 3 of 6 holes I had snares in…….of course they were filled completely in, and the yaps crossed elsewhere. I got stuff dug out tonight. Broomed off a couple trap sets and re-baited. Hoping for one tomorrow!!! I NEED to find the time to get a couple snares out right behind the house. They are running the creek not 40 yards from the house. Snares in the truck bed don't catch coyotes!!!!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/22/2014 10:45 PM

I was just out filling the wood stove and heard some yotes way off to the west. Then just a few seconds later I heard several cut loose no more than 150 yds from me. They're definitely moving tonight. I guess I'm going to have to borrow some snares and go looking for their tracks tomorrow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 10:49 AM

Get after em Haymaker!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 11:59 AM

Yea Yaz, I swept them off and put new lure in. Hope they come back.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 06:06 PM

Snared this young male today. Have been seeing lots of tracks and figured it was just a matter of time before one went down the right trail...or wrong trail if you're the coyote. [Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 06:44 PM

Good catch Gilley! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 07:08 PM

Gilley - way to go man!! Keep going.

I got nothing today. No tracks. All my sets are buried and with more wind and snow coming, I didn't even bother to sweep them off. Out of the game for a few days.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 07:57 PM

HECK YEA Gilley!!!!! Nice job on that one. Now, go get some more!!!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 07:59 PM

Only tracks I seen today was the red foxes around the old barn again. But, the way the wind blows up here, that doesn't mean anything. Tracks disappear in about an hour.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 08:16 PM

Good job Gilley!!!
I found some tracks this evening from the yotes I heard last night. They kind of wondered about but did walk my four wheeler tracks I left in the snow. I think there are a couple places I could put a snare as soon as I get some.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 08:21 PM

Nice!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/23/2014 08:40 PM

Very cool.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 06:53 AM

Anyone watch the Coywolf special on PBS last night? Makes you wonder if those big yotes we catch sometimes are a hybrid instead of a true coyote?

Yesterday I had 2 refusal on the 1x19 wire snares. Last night I ordered a roll of 7x7 wire and will replace all the 1x19 snares. The 1x19 is real shiny and too stiff for my sets would make good fence set snares....hint...hint. If anyone is interested I have about 400+ ft of the 1x19 that I will sell at a very good price. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 10:52 AM

HH

I missed the show. I have no doubt that our coyotes have some wolf in them, and some German Shepard, and Collie…..Been spending most of my waking hours at night in the barns tending to calves. Not much TV for me these days.

Is that 1x19 1/16" stainless aircraft cable?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 11:04 AM

Coyotes REALLY moved well last night. After morning cow checks, it was just getting light on my way to Indy to work. EVERY field and fence row had coyote tracks across them. Seen a red fox curled up snoozing in the middle of a picked bean field at post road and 465. He had a couple horse weeds as cover…..
Posted By: John Scifres

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 01:44 PM

You can watch the Coywolf show online: http://video.pbs.org/video/2365159966/

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 04:26 PM

Nices catch Gilley. This weather has been brutal. I think it is so cold that the yotes cant even smell the lures I put down. I have yoted tracks walk right past my sets. Even had some coon tracks close to Dp's. It was probably a boar looking for love not lunch.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 05:03 PM

HH

I missed the show. I have no doubt that our coyotes have some wolf in them, and some German Shepard, and Collie…..Been spending most of my waking hours at night in the barns tending to calves. Not much TV for me these days.

Is that 1x19 1/16" stainless aircraft cable?
3/32 aircraft cable.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 06:42 PM

Yaz,

On the show they showed the skulls of a yote, hybrid and wolf. The yote has smaller jaw muscles suited for smaller game, the wolf has very large jaw muscles and the hybrid has a shorter snout like the yote but larger jaw muscles like the wolf. They said the hybrid can take down much larger prey including moose. These hybrids are moving south from Canada.

They estimated there are over 2000 yotes living in the city of Chicago.........maybe some are on vacation in Greenwood..... wink h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 08:30 PM

Same here PB. Had coyote tracks right up on a set tonight think it was to froze to go off. Pulled them all just left out some snares. Man I skinned the coyote tonight I caught yesterday. Ever try to skin a half frozen dog?...**** that was rough, should have let it thaw more.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 10:21 PM

Same here PB. Had coyote tracks right up on a set tonight think it was to froze to go off. Pulled them all just left out some snares. Man I skinned the coyote tonight I caught yesterday. Ever try to skin a half frozen dog?...**** that was rough, should have let it thaw more.
Should have skinned it when it was still hot. That's when they are the easiest. But, of course……I left the last one I caught in the bed of my truck over night outside before I skinned it….. :rolleyes: laugh Its a frozen friggin tundra up here. If we get this predicted snow, I may be totally out of business for a while.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 10:35 PM

Snowing like a banshee here....coming your way.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/24/2014 10:56 PM

Yaz, would have loved to have skinned it hot but he was pretty much frozen when I pulled him from the snare. Left him in the garage all night and day but still was pretty cold. Oh well you live and you learn. He turned out pretty good though.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 02:41 PM

Yotes moved good last night and I had two males today, both alive. I shot both with .22 short HP and hardly no blood at all, just a couple of small drops in the snow.

The first picture is a long legged skinny male that got caught in a wheat straw set using a disposable anchor and a very small branch. This is the set that turn on me a week ago and missed. He lay down and watched us until i shot him.

The second picture is the biggest dog Ive ever caught so far. His front paws were almost as big as the palm of my hand. Hes blonde with very good fur. I might make a full body mount out of him. Caught him in a fence set that's produced a dog every year. Hard to beat a double on a cold and windy day. h.h.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 02:45 PM

You are doing a great job. Congrat and keep up the good work. You are earning everyone you are getting in this weather.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 02:54 PM

Nice going HH.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 02:56 PM

Congrats HH!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 03:05 PM

Really cool catches. Got nothing out this way. All sets/snares are in drifts and going to get worse.

Keep up the good work.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 03:52 PM

Nice job h.h. I can see the fence crossing path there was the snare hanging just above the fence say like where the dogs hips are. Just wondering trying to picture it better to learn a little.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 04:09 PM

Awesome HH. Your doing good. I did not even see any tracks on the snow this morning. I am pulling all my footholds for a while and leaving out my snares. This weather has got to break sometime.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 04:23 PM

This weather has got to break sometime.
I don't know. Feels like I am watching "Groundhogs Day!!"

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 05:37 PM

Two to three foot drifts in all the fences. Wind started out coming out of the South, and is now West NW. Every set I have is buried DEEP.

Nice catching HH!!!! Keep after 'em!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 05:53 PM

Nice HH. That's a great payoff in this weather. Wind is blowing so hard here you couldn't see tracks today unless you were right behind him.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 05:59 PM

Originally posted by nickgsp2:
Nice job h.h. I can see the fence crossing path there was the snare hanging just above the fence say like where the dogs hips are. Just wondering trying to picture it better to learn a little.
Thanks guys.
The set was toward me in the picture on a deer trail about 6-7 ft from the fence. There was a jump stick for the deer, set about 2 1/2 feet off the ground at a slight angle and anchored around an old fence post drove into the ground. The other day yote tracks went through the set. It must have went under the loop. I like to set the jump sticks at an 45 degree angle and set the snare on the high end. If you set the stick just so the yote has to duck their head that guides their head right in the loop.

There is another set west of this one in the corner that I caught the first yote in but that set is under a 3-4 ft drift. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 06:08 PM

Hey Yaz, check out this drift. That's a 6ft fence. eek [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 06:21 PM

Good looking pooch!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 11:22 PM

Gilley, Had one of them against my barn doors this morning. Only problem was……the skid steer was on the inside!!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/25/2014 11:23 PM

Awesome HH. Your doing good. I did not even see any tracks on the snow this morning. I am pulling all my footholds for a while and leaving out my snares. This weather has got to break sometime.
I'd pull mine too……but I can't find them! :rolleyes:
Posted By: blackoak

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 02:41 AM

Anyone watch the Coywolf special on PBS last night? Makes you wonder if those big yotes we catch sometimes are a hybrid instead of a true coyote?

Yesterday I had 2 refusal on the 1x19 wire snares. Last night I ordered a roll of 7x7 wire and will replace all the 1x19 snares. The 1x19 is real shiny and too stiff for my sets would make good fence set snares....hint...hint. If anyone is interested I have about 400+ ft of the 1x19 that I will sell at a very good price. h.h.
Is the 1X19 1/16" cable or 5/64? Korean or USA made. I'm interested

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 02:41 PM

Thought since the wind had died down a bit and the temps going up we would try to call some this morning. Ended up stuck in a snow drift for a hour and a half right beside the woods. mad Should've know better

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 02:46 PM

Originally posted by blackoak:
[b] Anyone watch the Coywolf special on PBS last night? Makes you wonder if those big yotes we catch sometimes are a hybrid instead of a true coyote?

Is the 1X19 1/16" cable or 5/64? Korean or USA made. I'm interested [/b]
I dont know where its made. The cable is 3/32. It came in a 100 snare kit. After thinking on it Im going to keep the cable and use it to hang my bucket feeders. I put a winch on a tree and a pulley up on a high limb. You have to use all steel or the squirrels will cut it down. If I change my mind you can have first crack at it. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 06:21 PM

Originally posted by blackoak:
[b]
[b] Anyone watch the Coywolf special on PBS last night? Makes you wonder if those big yotes we catch sometimes are a hybrid instead of a true coyote?

Is the 1X19 1/16" cable or 5/64? Korean or USA made. I'm interested [/b]
I dont know where its made. The cable is 3/32. It came in a 100 snare kit. After thinking on it Im going to keep the cable and use it to hang my bucket feeders. I put a winch on a tree and a pulley up on a high limb. You have to use all steel or the squirrels will cut it down. If I change my mind you can have first crack at it. h.h. [/b]
If you put double stops on it, it would make good snare extension cable. Thats what I'd use it for.
Posted By: MOONBEAM

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 07:34 PM

I used to trap rats in my early teens sometime ago but after reading all of the post on here daily I found myself today while rabbit hunting looking for yote tracks or. Coon found Radom coon tracks but no yote. Would really like to learn more about it and give it a crack just really don't know where to start. Keep up the good work guys and I love all the pics would love to see morethanks again

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 08:15 PM

After this north pole weather clears out I need to remake some sets and move a couple. Ive got two ditches that yotes go up and down and haven't set any snares on them yet.

Yaz, Ive got plenty of 1/8" cable I use for anchor cable. Last year a squirrel chewed threw the plastic coated cable I was using to hang feeders, lucky it was empty and didnt smash the timer. Heck, might even use it on down rigger cannonballs.....lol

Moonbeam, There are a lot of videos and reading material on the net, Google snaring coyotes. This will give you the basic idea. The main thing Ive learned snaring yotes is set your snares at pinch points or create a pinch point on a trail by brushing in the trail and leave a hole for the yotes to go through, then hang your snare on the hole. Make the brush high enough the yotes go under but low enough the deer will jump over. Once you snare the first one you will be hooked! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 08:29 PM

My wife's uncle traps about everything but he is about an hour & half away but his line come just north of my town but by the time he gets to this area already at work for the day. I would just like to be out in the wild more after deer season ends so if anyone around Clinton county that would like to teach an old dog new tricks just let me know lol

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 08:42 PM

Just jump in MOONBEAM! You still have some good coyote snaring coming up! They are rutitng now, and its a good time to catch them. Take pictures of any potential sets, and ask questions here. We'll help you out. Sticksender also posted a good piece on here about snaring coyotes.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 08:45 PM

Well now……..isn't this just a slap in the face!!!!!! Caught one here a couple weeks ago, and the scent must still be there. OR, he's telling me what he thinks of my set. He did this on BOTH sides of the fence, without going through the "easy spot"! What is not in the picture is a big turd he deposited there also. :roll eyes: It was the ONLY snare that was open today.
[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 08:49 PM

Gilley, I was sweatin' it myself today. Thought I had a LONG walk back up to the house to get the tractor. But I finally wiggled out of it, and made it on through. Took a direct route though the fields where there was no snow to get back!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 08:54 PM

Moonbeam - got to start somewhere. Jump in and go like Yaz said. What we did and you learn as you go. Lot of help on here too.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/26/2014 10:24 PM

Well now……..isn't this just a slap in the face!!!!!! Caught one here a couple weeks ago, and the scent must still be there. OR, he's telling me what he thinks of my set. He did this on BOTH sides of the fence, without going through the "easy spot"! What is not in the picture is a big turd he deposited there also. :roll eyes: It was the ONLY snare that was open today.
[Linked Image]
Know the feeling! LOL h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/27/2014 01:57 PM

No yotes today.

Turkeys are hitting the corn pile real good. I dumped more corn for them today. Its took so long to get them established I would put out a heat lamp if needed.....lol h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/27/2014 03:21 PM

No yotes today.

Turkeys are hitting the corn pile real good. I dumped more corn for them today. Its took so long to get them established I would put out a heat lamp if needed.....lol h.h.
laugh laugh We have VERY few. Every once in a while, one will come up off the river and venture around a little.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/27/2014 04:07 PM

About 4 years ago I saw the first turkey, then the next year maybe 3 or so and during this deer season 9 hens would come into my plot every once in a while. I will keep corn and sunflower seeds out for them until this deep snow gets off..........this year that might be July!!!! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/27/2014 09:47 PM

I guess its safe to say if we snare one tonight he'll be frozen tomorrow when we get to him.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/28/2014 02:22 PM

Hopefully I have a frozen coyote tonight when I get home from work…….. laugh Been slowly digging out my sets. Got a couple more to go. BUT, they are calling for a warmup, and more snow at the end of the week..

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/28/2014 07:49 PM

Nothing here but still seeing lots of tracks

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/28/2014 08:33 PM

Me too…..lots of tracks. Had one dancing on a steel trap, and one that went around another snare. Seen tracks in the barn lot where we are keeping new calves!!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 03:38 PM

No yotes today. Saw one fresh track. Pulled 3 snares and changed out one of the 1-19 for a 7x7. Friday Im going to makes more sets at the entrance trails on the edges of my property border. Males will be out roaming for females. I want to get them set so the snow on Saturday will cover my tracks. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 04:36 PM

Shot one this morning out the front door with my 22-250. 260Yds. He was feeding on something on the edge of a woods, never knew what hit him.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 07:39 PM

Ok, I'm getting down and dirty….they don't want to play where its easy in my fence crawl unders, and holes. I belly crawled through a multi-flora rose thicket to set a trail in the middle of it. Got two hung on it. Going to set a big overgrown waterway with crap head high in it tomorrow. The ground should be good to get a couple traps back working too. Seeing a LOT of sign right now. Last week, I had a snare in a good hole that was drifted in. I shoveled it out. I had to check this one with the bino's because the gate was drifted. Tonight, I notice a bunch of tracks in the snow around the hole. I walked over to it to check it. The bottom of the snare had froze to the ground. The coyotes have been going THROUGH the snare, and had wiggled through it enough times, it was the size of a volley ball!!! I had to chop the bottom of the hole out to get the snare free. Next one through…….

Had this really dark female today.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 07:39 PM

Originally posted by SCHALL53:
Shot one this morning out the front door with my 22-250. 260Yds. He was feeding on something on the edge of a woods, never knew what hit him.
Nice shootin' Tex!!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 07:42 PM

Nice catch Yaz. That is one dark looking dog.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 08:02 PM

Nice catch! 4 out of the 5 ive got this year are rubbed on back or lost a lot of their long hair, is yours that way? Will fur buyers take them with rub spots? h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 08:13 PM

You guys just keep it up. I check up on you 2 or 3 times a day. I didn't and still don't have time to set steel this year. You guys have been filling that void all fall, thanks I really enjoy your success and pictures.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 08:14 PM

Every one of mine have been good. I usually don't see rubbing bad enough to make them worthless until the end of Feb. If its rubbed a little they will still take them….or have in the past.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 08:21 PM

Sounds like a great shot Schall and nice catch Yaz. That is one dark dog. think I'm gonna set out even more snares this weekend. Got one little spot that I haven't bothered at all yet this year. Hoping it pays off in Feb.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 08:31 PM

Wow - very dark one. Nice catch.

Nice shooting Schall.

Had to pull all mine today. Coon traps are gone and yote traps done until Sunday. Heading to WV tomorrow. Keep going guys - will be checkin in.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 09:01 PM

Good going SCHALL and Yaz. The only bad thing about winter ending will be the end of this thread.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 09:06 PM

Good going SCHALL and Yaz. The only bad thing about winter ending will be the end of this thread.
With the way this weather is, that'll be June!!! :rolleyes: laugh
I may have to give Weedy an axe to chop ice so I can troll for stripers in March!!!!! :p

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/29/2014 09:50 PM

I'll do it!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/30/2014 03:28 AM

Congrats Yaz and Shall!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/30/2014 09:34 AM

i have yet to set some steel around the new place but have seen two coyotes the last two days in midday. hoping to get something out soon.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/30/2014 03:07 PM

No yotes again today........didnt see any fresh tracks either. h.h.
Posted By: daveIN

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/30/2014 04:57 PM

I have never trapped, always wanted to. I have read all your post everyday and enjoy it. you guys make it look easy. I will give it a try when I retire some day.thanks for all the pictures and chat.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/30/2014 05:26 PM

Originally posted by daveIN:
I have never trapped, always wanted to. I have read all your post everyday and enjoy it. you guys make it look easy. I will give it a try when I retire some day.thanks for all the pictures and chat.
No kidding! Deer hunters could learn alot from this forum. I trapped when I was in the Air Force,,but never pursued it after that. Muskrat and coons mainly. I'd like to pick it back up for sure. cool

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/30/2014 07:36 PM

Originally posted by Weedhopper:
[b] I have never trapped, always wanted to. I have read all your post everyday and enjoy it. you guys make it look easy. I will give it a try when I retire some day.thanks for all the pictures and chat.
No kidding! Deer hunters could learn alot from this forum. I trapped when I was in the Air Force,,but never pursued it after that. Muskrat and coons mainly. I'd like to pick it back up for sure. cool [/b]
You'd never remember where ya set em all now!!!!! :p Matter of fact……me either!!!!!! I've got a steel trap buried somewhere froze up……….. :rolleyes: Have to get the metal detector out again!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/30/2014 07:37 PM

Why wait????? laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/30/2014 07:42 PM

No yotes again today........didnt see any fresh tracks either. h.h.
They were raising he!! behind my house last night. They stayed out in the field going south. They normally come back through the thicket in the back yard on the return trip. Maybe in a day or two. The other two farms did not have a single fresh track. However, I crawled through another thicket this evening and got a couple more necklaces ready and waiting for when they come back through. Going to set the neighbor over the weekend. I have about a 2 week lull in the calving action to get on it.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 01/31/2014 04:28 PM

A successful trapped animal picture does make it look easy but I assure you it is a lot of hard work and a lot of late evenings in the skinning shed, but well work the time in the outdoors. I would not rather be doing anything else. When you are trapping hundreds of acres and you can get a coyote to step on a 2 inch pan you have done something.
Take up trapping, you will be hooked the first time you catch something, even if it is a grinner.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/01/2014 01:21 PM

Finally connected again on a male last night caught in a snare. No it's not whats for dinner. smile

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/01/2014 01:46 PM

PB, Im amazed you haven't any snow on the ground! We still have a foot or so and its raining. Im pulling my snares tomorrow for a while, weatherman calling for a possible 12-18" Wed....h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/01/2014 05:13 PM

Big ole dog PB! Nice going! Doesn't look like he's been in there too long. I had two steel traps partially uncovered today. Couldn't tell if it was canine, or a coon. No snow to see any tracks.

HH, we have very little snow in the fields, but the fences are 2 to 4' deep where it drifted. I shoveled through two drifts to open up snares today. Had two more, and said to HE!! with it……seem em in March!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/01/2014 06:00 PM

Nice one PB!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/01/2014 06:42 PM

Nice!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/01/2014 08:43 PM

He looks like he couldn't believe you caught him PB.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/01/2014 09:45 PM

Nice one PB. Yea I can't believe you don't have snow on the ground. Seems like forever since we haven't.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/01/2014 10:06 PM

We have been pretty lucky not to get alot of snow this year. When we did get some it did not stay around too long. I still have 2 new farms I want to set some footholds on. It just has been so rough keeping the traps going this year with the rain, snow, freezing and thawing and then the same thing a few days later. The skunks are really moving down here see then everywhere hit on the road.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/02/2014 10:30 AM

Been a terrible season for canine traps as far as keeping them running. We had about 1/2" of rain last night on top of frozen ground. Temps are going to get to single digits again by mid week.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/02/2014 01:12 PM

Snares empty again. We had a lot of rain yesterday and then another 3" of snow last night. Seems like this is never gonna end. I can't put any traps out either just snares.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/03/2014 03:54 PM

Big fat 0 today and no new tracks. Im going to let the snares fish another few days and then pull them for a while. I must have took out the pack that called my place home.

Turkeys are working the corn pile good. Maybe tomorrow I will put up a cam and see whats there. h.h.
Posted By: Moose1am

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/03/2014 04:44 PM

All I ever caught when trapping years ago were Grinner and a neighbor's dog. After catching the dog's paw I found it and let it go without getting bit. I pulled up my traps after that and never trapped again.

I was trying to catch a fox or raccoon.

I see that they have some new type of traps that are dog proof for catching raccoons. If I were to start trapping that's the type of traps I would use.

I'd rather just shoot any coyotes I see.

[b] I have never trapped, always wanted to. I have read all your post everyday and enjoy it. you guys make it look easy. I will give it a try when I retire some day.thanks for all the pictures and chat.
A successful trapped animal picture does make it look easy but I assure you it is a lot of hard work and a lot of late evenings in the skinning shed, but well work the time in the outdoors. I would not rather be doing anything else. When you are trapping hundreds of acres and you can get a coyote to step on a 2 inch pan you have done something.
Take up trapping, you will be hooked the first time you catch something, even if it is a grinner. [/b]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/03/2014 07:04 PM

Found this ole boy taking a dirt nap today with my snare around his neck. He must have got sprayed by a skunk a while back. He was fun skinning out. smile

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Double B

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/03/2014 07:43 PM

That's a nice looking dog Parker. Way to go.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/03/2014 09:22 PM

Keep after 'em PB!!!! That's a good one to take out! Looks pretty good shape and no rubbed spots yet.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/03/2014 09:27 PM

Good catch! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/03/2014 09:44 PM

the new dog proof traps are killer on coons. I love them and most on here are using them too.

Nothing wrong with shooting coyotes, every bit helps. But the trap or snare is hunting 24/7...

Originally posted by Moose1am:
I see that they have some new type of traps that are dog proof for catching raccoons. If I were to start trapping that's the type of traps I would use.

I'd rather just shoot any coyotes I see.

[b]
Take up trapping, you will be hooked the first time you catch something, even if it is a grinner. [/b]
[/b]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/05/2014 05:35 PM

Went out today and had to break ice off all my snares. We got between 1/4 to 1/2 inch of ice last night. This weather has been relentless this year for trapping. I still have a guy calling me wondering when I am going to get over to his place to try and trap a few coyotes, but this weather is not cooperating.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/05/2014 07:29 PM

Tell me about it. Got another 8-9 inches of snow last night. Making it almost impossible to even get to the few I have out. About ready to call it a year.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/05/2014 08:57 PM

I couldnt get to my snares today but will tomorrow and pull them. I got another 10+ inches last night and cant get the gates open until I plow them out. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/05/2014 09:54 PM

I had coyotes step OVER two snares I had set in trails today. :roll eyes: I'm getting tired of this CRAP!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/05/2014 11:21 PM

I had coyotes step OVER two snares I had set in trails today. :roll eyes: I'm getting tired of this CRAP!
A big striper this spring will make you feel better laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/06/2014 12:00 AM

[b] I had coyotes step OVER two snares I had set in trails today. :roll eyes: I'm getting tired of this CRAP!
A big striper this spring will make you feel better laugh [/b]
You do mean stripper right........?? laugh h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/06/2014 07:54 AM

[b]
[b] I had coyotes step OVER two snares I had set in trails today. :roll eyes: I'm getting tired of this CRAP!
A big striper this spring will make you feel better laugh [/b]
You do mean stripper right........?? laugh h.h. [/b]
Lol eek laugh eek laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/06/2014 08:19 AM

HH, I like the way you are thinking.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/06/2014 10:13 AM

Big striper….yes. Big stripper…..um…..No thanks….Weedy can take care of that one!!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/06/2014 10:29 AM

Big striper….yes. Big stripper…..um…..No thanks….Weedy can take care of that one!!!! laugh
Nah....I'd rather fish than listen to the chatter. laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/07/2014 07:38 PM

They are starting to piss me off!!!!!!!! laugh I'm changing up some stuff over the weekend… It appears they have paired up, and staked out territories. From a weeks worth of tracks in the snow, I have one pair at each farm right now. I gotta get tricky now, and actually quit 1/2 azzing it. :rolleyes: laugh

This crusted snow is allowing them to move wherever they want right now. Total avoidance on the snares. Some of the fences they can walk right up to on the crusted snow, and easily hop over.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/07/2014 08:27 PM

I've been picture deprived! I'm counting on you guys!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/07/2014 08:36 PM

They are starting to piss me off!!!!!!!! laugh I'm changing up some stuff over the weekend… It appears they have paired up, and staked out territories. From a weeks worth of tracks in the snow, I have one pair at each farm right now. I gotta get tricky now, and actually quit 1/2 azzing it. :rolleyes: laugh

This crusted snow is allowing them to move wherever they want right now. Total avoidance on the snares. Some of the fences they can walk right up to on the crusted snow, and easily hop over.
Somebody needs to go fishin....

I got nothing out right now. 2 weeks with nothing out. Going to put out some in the next few days. This dang weather!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/07/2014 09:26 PM

[QB]
Somebody needs to go fishin....[/QUOTE]

You have that right!!!!!! laugh I get grumpy this time every year…..especially when I have coyotes that are outsmarting me... laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/08/2014 07:23 AM

I am tired of waiting I am starting my 4 days off so I am setting traps snow or snow I am going to try it you never know.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/08/2014 07:26 PM

I got one blind trail set in on a coyote trail today. Bedded on wax paper on top of the snow, and covered the pan with wax paper. I took my scoop shovel and shaved a THIN slice of snow and slid over the trap. Then took to the shovel full of soft fluffy snow, and held it head high, and let snow drift in the wind over the whole thing to blend it. Who knows if it will work. I was going to put two more in, and wen I got to the second spot (two miles away), I discovered I left my stake driver back at the first set!!!! mad Said to heck with it. I'll get my setter and put the others in tomorrow……..

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/08/2014 08:22 PM

I got one blind trail set in on a coyote trail today. Bedded on wax paper on top of the snow, and covered the pan with wax paper. I took my scoop shovel and shaved a THIN slice of snow and slid over the trap. Then took to the shovel full of soft fluffy snow, and held it head high, and let snow drift in the wind over the whole thing to blend it. Who knows if it will work. I was going to put two more in, and wen I got to the second spot (two miles away), I discovered I left my stake driver back at the first set!!!! mad Said to heck with it. I'll get my setter and put the others in tomorrow……..
Getting old sucks.....doesn't it.. wink laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/08/2014 09:24 PM

^ yes

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/08/2014 09:40 PM

+1

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/08/2014 09:58 PM

I look forward to the days I dont remember what I ate for dinner and wearing Depends! Not sure why they are called the golden years because the only thing golden is my pee! LOL h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/08/2014 10:13 PM

We need our own forum. That way,,,we won't remember what we're beeeeeyatching about.... cool laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/09/2014 05:19 AM

Yes....yes it does!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/09/2014 05:36 PM

Funny Yaz!! I have forgotten my stake driver at the last set before too. It happens.... I could not stand it anymore so I put in 5 sets today in the snow. A few were hay sets that should be good eye appeal from even at a distance. I probably did not blend them good enough but hope they work. The first 2 inches of dirt were frozen but after that I was able to make a trap bed. I did see some yote tracks so who knows. It just felt good to put some steel in the ground again.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/09/2014 08:12 PM

We had a couple inches of new snow last night. Could NOT find my driver………..Looks like a trip to Lowes tomorrow to get stuff to make a new one. Hopefully, I'll find the old one when the snow melts. Then I'll have a backup! :rolleyes: laugh PB, I didn't even try to dig a trap bed. This snow is so deep where I need to set, it would have made a total mess. I just bedded in the snow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/10/2014 09:44 PM

this site is so intriguing its dangerous for ex. I was dirve a large car to Indy this afternoon that i paid more attn. to the ditch than i did the road. I was wandering what animal tracks i was seeing a pointing out to myself what i thought would be a nice place to set a snare.dont know how i made it there & back dont even remeber some of the road at all.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/10/2014 10:07 PM

^ LOL. +1

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/11/2014 09:58 AM

Originally posted by MOONBEAM:
this site is so intriguing its dangerous for ex. I was dirve a large car to Indy this afternoon that i paid more attn. to the ditch than i did the road. I was wandering what animal tracks i was seeing a pointing out to myself what i thought would be a nice place to set a snare.dont know how i made it there & back dont even remeber some of the road at all.
I have driven I74 from Greensburg/Rushville an hour and ten minutes to Indy most every day for 28 years now. I know every deer crossing, coyote crossing, where the best coon spots are……where the most road kills occur….I don't remember any of the road
either!!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/11/2014 10:26 AM

Prolly don't remember what ya had for breakfast, either. :rolleyes: eek laugh
Posted By: Shelby County Hunter

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/11/2014 10:33 AM

I did the same thing, I drove I-74 from St. Paul to Indy for 40 years(hour drive). It is amazing how much wild life you can see. Seen more deer close to Indy than any where else.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 12:56 PM

Welp Fellars…….I think its over for this old fart! Next week is going to be too mushy to get around to check these traps and snares. I have not seen much sign in the last month. I know there are a couple of pairs around on the farms. However, they seem to be behaving themselves and staying out of the calves. I'm going to start yanking stuff Sunday, and close the loops on some snares and wrap 'em up in the fences. I have too many "spring" projects to do to be fooling with them now. One of which is getting the boat ready to go!!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 01:08 PM

Hate to see the season wrap up. Always look forward to the results, and pics you guys post. Thanks for sharing!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 02:17 PM

+1 with Weedy's comment. Thank you.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 03:31 PM

how did everyone do this year??

I know coyote and beaver seasons are still in...but some season totals would be cool!!

this trapping forum is great, no attacks, no criticisms, cry babies, or nonsense.

Just a great group of guys willing to help one another out and have fun in the outdoors! =)

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 05:21 PM

Im not done yet but my snares are under the snow right now. I haven't seen a fresh set of tracks in over a week - week and a half. Yotes are probably eating dog food out of some farm dog's bowl on their back porch.

I didn't set traps do to deer hunting and then the ground froze. Iv'e shot one and snared 5 yotes, 3 males, 3 females. I killed 6 each of the last 3 years now and I want to break my record. When the snow gets down Ive got 4-5 entrance-exit trails at the edge's of my property I want to set. My neighbor told me I could snare his woods too but I haven't even looked at it yet.

I'd like to kill 10 this year. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 05:27 PM

Oh, and I agree, you guys are a good group and helped me out many times and I hope I returned the favor.

Too bad all cant get along this way. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 09:13 PM

Too bad all cant get along this way. h.h.
I can get along with anybody……..cept Weedy's, hard headed, grumpy old azz!!!!! :p laugh I have only caught 5 at the farm this year. Could have been lower numbers, they figured me out, weather….who knows. Far cry from the 35 three years ago! I snared three on a dead cow carcass in one of Dad's spots back when it was really cold. He can't be in that kind of cold weather, and had to pull em up, as I could't be running to the North end of the county every night. That spot had potential for a bunch of coyotes to be caught. Hope to see the rest of you guys still catching them!!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 09:16 PM

You know the rumor....I just hate to wake up some days.. eek laugh laugh I guess I've been influenced by Clint Eastwood too....dang!! laugh

Seriously....great group of guys on this forum, that make it fun to follow. Thanks, fellers!! wink (you too, Yaz!) eek

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 09:39 PM

This thread has been a blast. First year for us. We learned a lot and it was fun to share the journey. Appreciate ALL the tips and help.

Our catches were: 32 coons, 18 possum, 5 coyotes, and 10 skunks. Not too bad for the limited traps we have.

Still plan on putting out my coyote traps but have not had the time. Going to hit it until the end.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 09:49 PM

You guys put a HURTIN' on the stinkers!!!!!! laugh You took the skunk crown from HH!!!! :p That was one heck of a first season bean!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/14/2014 09:55 PM

A crown I will gladly give up next year if anyone wants it. Funny thing is ALL of them were caught at 1 place - an old abandoned barn. Caught some nice coon there too.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 01:17 PM

Yea, its great to be able to ask questions and get answers from guys who have already been where us rookies are. Thanks for all the help guys. I caught 8 coon, 2 red fox, and so far only one coyote. I hope the snow melts off so I can put some traps back out. Have a few snares out now but they're buried and I can't even get to the ditch or woods for the snow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 01:51 PM

You guys put a HURTIN' on the stinkers!!!!!! laugh You took the skunk crown from HH!!!! :p That was one heck of a first season bean!!!!
A crown I never want back.....h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 06:25 PM

I was REALLY dreading crawling into that multiflora rose thicket to pull this snare today…..this made it a little more worthwhile!
Female to boot. NOW I gotta catch one more. Can't go out on 9!!!! laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 06:55 PM

Nice. My wife and I this situation, like when you get ready pick up duck decoys and a par circles you but never comes back, the sucking sound. You know, when your ready to call it but you get sucked back in. Make'm pay Yaz!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 07:08 PM

Good catch. She wont be bunny hunting no more! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 07:12 PM

Nice. My wife and I this situation, like when you get ready pick up duck decoys and a par circles you but never comes back, the sucking sound. You know, when your ready to call it but you get sucked back in. Make'm pay Yaz!
Yep…..."Just ONE more cast!" Then we're quitting!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 07:18 PM

She was rubbed up, but still ok to put on a stretcher. Friend called in and got one this morning that was rubbed too bad to fool with. Fur is about done on them.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 08:25 PM

Congrats! Good luck on #10

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 09:03 PM

Nice one Yaz!!! 1 more man!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/15/2014 10:49 PM

Good job Yaz!!!! It has been a bugger of a year with all the rough weather.

Bean, You had a great first year that is for sure, way to go. Looks like you are a quick learner.

To all others great job again this year it has been a fun year to hang out on the trapping forum. Great group of guys on here.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/16/2014 12:32 PM

Nice Yaz. Glad somebodys still getting them. Good luck on number 10. I just want to get number 2.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/16/2014 06:15 PM

Had a buddy call me and asked if I wanted a coyote. He was up North visiting family and did a little yote hunting and killed a big male. I just got done skinning him out. More work to do later. I think I will let some sets out until next weekend and call it a year.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/19/2014 08:40 PM

Could not believe it. I actually connected on 2 yotes last night. 1st one was caught in a snare I had hanging for over a month and the second one was caught in a MB550 on a hayset/dirthole. The 2nd one was in the middle of a bean field and he was a total mudball.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/19/2014 09:04 PM

Nice job PB!!!! You'll be washing that hide for a week!!!! laugh laugh I seen one tonight when I was feeding. By the time I threw the buckets down, ran to the truck to get the rifle, he was out of range. He cleared a fence by 4'!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/20/2014 05:26 PM

yea nice one PB. You might have to get the power washer out.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/20/2014 07:02 PM

I think I spent more money on water washing him off then what he is worth. smile It was worth it though because the look I got from the wife when she seen it hanging from the clothesline drying off when she was doing the dishes, was priceless. laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/20/2014 07:13 PM

I think I spent more money on water washing him off then what he is worth. smile It was worth it though because the look I got from the wife when she seen it hanging from the clothesline drying off when she was doing the dishes, was priceless. laugh
YOU TOO??????? laugh laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/21/2014 10:02 AM

Way to go Parker!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/21/2014 10:25 AM

Nice going PB. That coyote in the mud sure looks like it was ready for the end.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/21/2014 11:26 AM

Congrats PB......love the pics!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/22/2014 05:09 PM

After 2-3 weeks of doing no trapping, we are back in the game for yotes. See what happens for the last 3 weeks of the season.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 07:27 PM

Ok…..Barring any more trouble makers, I'm OFFICIALLY done now! laugh This one was on the lane right behind the house and barn lot. Cows were a little uneasy the last couple of days, and this set finally snagged her. I know I've mentioned before about re-baiting and luring up a set, and how I don't do it every week. This is the set I caught the fox in. I used the same trap, and piled up the bean chaff again, and put a little gland lure and urine on it at that time. Haven't touched it since. It has been covered 3' deep in snow, froze solid, rained on, and obviously muddy as heck, and still worked last night. I got everything else pulled today.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 07:38 PM

3 coyote sets and what did I catch? Guess

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 07:58 PM

3 coyote sets and what did I catch? Guess
PEPI LAPEW!!!!!!!!! :p laugh laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 08:03 PM

[b] 3 coyote sets and what did I catch? Guess
PEPI LAPEW!!!!!!!!! :p laugh laugh [/b]
Didn't take long to figure that one out.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 08:15 PM

Look at it this way……you are getting them out of the way for next year!!!! cool

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 08:22 PM

Nice going Yaz......congrats on #10!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 09:32 PM

Way to go Yaz. I still have a few snares left out but can't get them in them. Still have a lot of tracks in what snow is left. Think I'll put out a few sets tomorrow and see if I can get lucky.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 10:34 PM

Nice yaz Congrats, man some of you guys make it look so easy and I can't seem to buy one

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/23/2014 10:54 PM

Good catches PB and Yaz!

Even with all the warm weather and rain still a lot of snow on the ground here. Most of my snares are still under the snow. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/24/2014 07:55 PM

Good job Yaz. It is amazing how well a coyote can smell. I do think the key sometimes is to just be patient and stay back when checking traps. Sometimes the longer one sets the better your odds become. The last one I caught the set had been sitting for 10 days.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 02:31 PM

I want to see the remake in that slop!! laugh

Nice catch!

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 04:34 PM

Yet another female yote in a snare today. I keep wanting to call it quits but there are still a few willing to play the game out there. One less female to have pups this spring.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 04:56 PM

Nice PB. Great to take out four or five future pups with one snare.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 05:01 PM

Good catch again.....h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 06:47 PM

Man PB, your tearing them up. Nice job.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 07:57 PM

Nice PB. Great to take out four or five future pups with one snare.
Funny you should mention that…..Dad called me this morning after he skinned the female I caught this week. I got 5 with that one catch!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 08:05 PM

That's GREAT PB! This one is a little cleaner than the last one!!! :p laugh Keep posting pics, so I can get my fix!!!! cool

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 09:53 PM

Udaman PB!!!......congrats......no pulse on that dude!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/25/2014 11:26 PM

Nice

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/26/2014 07:11 PM

Caught this female last night. I had 2 snares about 3-4 ft apart in 2 openings in this little brush line. She had 1 around her neck and one around her leg. With all the tracks I was seeing out there I new it was just a matter of time. [Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/26/2014 07:28 PM

Nice catch!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 03:28 AM

Good catch! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 07:58 AM

Nice going Gilley. Great to see the females hitting the ground.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 09:11 AM

Gilley is not messing around, he is catching them twice! =)

Nice work guys!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 09:13 AM

Caught this female last night. I had 2 snares about 3-4 ft apart in 2 openings in this little brush line. She had 1 around her neck and one around her leg. With all the tracks I was seeing out there I new it was just a matter of time. [Linked Image]
Nice catch Gilley!!!!! I'm glad you guys are still catching them! You made sure that one wasn't going anywhere!!! laugh How long did it take to cut, and unravel her out of that mess?? :p

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 03:21 PM

Good Job Gilley!!!!!! She is still smiling at you. smile

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 04:25 PM

Nice gilley!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 04:39 PM

Nice guys

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 06:13 PM

Took me about 10 minutes to get her unraveled...man what a mess. Had a #3 set off tonight but I missed. Reset it hope they come back. Gotta pull everything Saturday, heading to Louisiana to welcome my son back from Afghanistan, Can't freaking wait to see him. Been sending him pics of my catches and he's really jealous. laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 06:30 PM

Gilley, thanks to your son for his service.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 06:42 PM

You betcha! cool

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 07:49 PM

Couldn't think of a better reason to have to pull everything Gilley. As delaney said, thank him for his service.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/27/2014 09:24 PM

Absolutely!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/28/2014 10:56 AM

I would say that's going to be better than trapping any day of the week. And thank him for us.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 02/28/2014 06:25 PM

Thanks guys and I will tell him thanks from all my trapping friends. Now we just have to get out of this state before the storm gets here.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/01/2014 02:35 PM

+10! Thanks for the service and sacrifice!
Posted By: gundude

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/01/2014 07:04 PM

Missed this....

Thanks to your son and his service!.. thanks isn't enough.!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/03/2014 09:20 PM

Was able to remake some sets today after nothing out for quite a while. Going to hit it until the end. Looks like the weather may be better for a while and I can get to them okay now.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/03/2014 11:38 PM

Good luck Bean!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/04/2014 12:36 AM

Good luck.

I set a snare on Saturday just before the 4"
of new snow came. The rest of my snares are still under the snow and ice. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/04/2014 09:10 PM

Stay after them guys! Looks like I may have get back in the game for a while. Just as I got home to do the feeding at my place, the neighbor lady across the road front the farm called. Her two little dogs were fending off a coyote on the dock at the pond behind her house. When the Great Dane jumped in the mix, the coyote left. But, According to her, the coyote came back four or five times in 45 minutes. By the time I got a rifle and got back down there, it was almost dark, and all was quiet. I have no idea what that was all about????

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/06/2014 06:17 PM

Get'em Bean. I'll be back Sunday and might try the last 5 days.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/09/2014 03:52 PM

Back on the board. Got this female today.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/09/2014 04:23 PM

Sweet!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/09/2014 04:24 PM

Nice going! Glad to see another picture.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/09/2014 05:48 PM

Way to go Luke and Bean! Keep up the good work. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/09/2014 09:29 PM

Very nice.....someone got their hand caught in the cookie jar!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/09/2014 09:33 PM

Very cool Bean and Luke. How did you make that set in the drain pipe, if you don't mind me asking?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/09/2014 10:16 PM

Originally posted by Cornfed:
Very cool Bean and Luke. How did you make that set in the drain pipe, if you don't mind me asking?
That is our 4th coyote at that set. It is basically a dirt hole with a stump as a backing. The drain pipe has been used just to funnel them in. Last year I noticed, when we had snow, that the coyotes would whiz on that drain pipe. So, I used it in the setup as well. I find in interesting that 2 out of the 4 ended up crawling through the drain somehow. Another good note is the drain actually keeps them from going nuts.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 06:54 AM

Nice going bean! You have found one of those "spots" that will catch coyotes year in and year out. I have two or three spots like that.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 03:43 PM

Good looking yote for this time of year Bean. I am done for the year and shipped all my fur on Sunday. I have a few pieces of that tile laying around and may just have to set something up with it next yr. Nice job Bean!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 07:33 PM

Set this snare about 2 weeks ago and it produced this young male today. He had good fur for being late season. Also set 2 more snares but the snow is still deep in spots which makes it hard to get around. h.h.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 07:55 PM

Nice going HH. Ridiculous you still have that much snow.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 07:58 PM

Good going, HH!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 08:27 PM

Nice catch HH. Get another one!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 08:55 PM

Good job guys, still tearing them up!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 09:06 PM

Good job Bean and HH. Got back from Louisiana Yesterday and reset some snares. I guess a week of me not being back there and the coyotes got lazy laugh . Caught this female and like you guys said she still has a pretty good coat on her.
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 09:59 PM

Dang, you guys are rocking it. Congrats Gilley.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 11:16 PM

Dang, you guys are rocking it. Congrats Gilley.
+1

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/10/2014 11:55 PM

Good catch Gilley! h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 08:08 AM

NICE!!!!! WTG Gilley and HH! All you guys are putting a hurtin' on 'em this week!!!! Gilley, looks like you trained your doggie to sit! laugh

Gilley, the way you have your snare tied off high is absolutely perfect! High anchors on the snares gets that cable right behind the jawbone and does them in QUICK!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 08:10 AM

BTW- I can't believe you guys still got that much snow on the ground yet. Its all but gone here. Looks like ya'll are going to get another shot of it this week. I HOPE it goes north of us, and you guys get it all!!!! laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 09:03 AM

We still have spots of snow that are 3 ft deep with most places a foot or more. 1/2 my sets are still under the snow. I got stuck on my 4wheeler 6-7 times yesterday but its not 4wd. Im riding trails that were packed down to ice and now they are thawing out. I'll be riding along and down the bike goes and hits the frame. I had the tractor out for a while but its so soft in places I was cutting big ruts.

Now we are suppose to get another 3-6" tonight.....h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 10:37 AM

Snow in the fields is pretty much gone but around the creekbank and in the woods where it was really deep is still there. Fields are a soggy mess right now. The 4wheeler was really flinging mud yesterday. Yaz, I try to tie them off high but seems like I have a lot of trouble with the snare falling/collapsing when the cable is coming down verses coming up, if that makes any sense.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 01:18 PM

Great catches H.H. and Gilley. Way to keep after them until the end.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 01:29 PM

Snow in the fields is pretty much gone but around the creekbank and in the woods where it was really deep is still there. Fields are a soggy mess right now. The 4wheeler was really flinging mud yesterday. Yaz, I try to tie them off high but seems like I have a lot of trouble with the snare falling/collapsing when the cable is coming down verses coming up, if that makes any sense.
Yes I know EXACTLY what you are talking about. I had the same issues. Later on tonight, I will show how I elevated that problem. Any more, I'll add an extension onto my snare if I don't have one long enough to get it tied off up high. You just don;t have the misses, and it catches them "better" that way.
Posted By: Magnum hunter

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 09:19 PM

I haven't been on here yet but that snared coyote is pretty cool. I have exactly 5 snares out. Nothing yet. Hoping to get something like that... smile

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 09:21 PM

Good job Luke. That picture looks better on here than the cell phone...page 38...I was a little late... laugh

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 09:26 PM

Here you go Gilley. This is what I try to do when tying off higher than the loop. I actually like to (if I can) get the snare tied off as high as I can on a 5' snare.

You have to get the main cable turned toward the wammy, at the same height or a tad lower than the lock. I use baling wire or small vine to wrap it to hold it in place. DO NOT wrap it tight with the wire. You really just want the cable tucked in where it can be pulled out very easily. If not, you negate the effect of tying off high. Typically, I use the tag end of the wire that I have wrapped around the tree to slid the cable behind. If it was tight a that point, it would essentially be the tie off point until the coyote lunges against it. That could allow him to slip through. The high tie off actually helps the lock slide down the cable a lot quicker, thus closing right behind the head. This first picture is about how I like them. You want to keep the locks at 1:00, and when the snare is the other direction, 11:00. If you put the lock right on top @ 12:00, you stand a chance of the wind, or a small critter bumping the snare, and "firing it" and closing the loop.

[Linked Image]

If you are still having trouble, go ahead and bring a loop on down a little bit. I went to a little stiffer 1x19 cable, and pre loaded them as I made them. It holds a more circular loop, vs. a more teardrop shaped loop the the 7x7 has. Hope this helps! Get another one!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/11/2014 09:53 PM

Thanks Yaz. I definitely see what you mean. I'll try that next year since we only have 3 days left.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/12/2014 06:38 AM

I did notice that 1x19 held a better loop than 7x7 cable but the micro locks close the loop easier on the 7x7. I took one of the locks and drilled it out just a bit so it would slide better on the 1x19. In a fence set where the yotes are dealing with stiff wire the 1x19 cable shouldn't make a difference but on woods or trail sets where the weeds are softer I think the 7x7 works better, JMO. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/12/2014 07:57 AM

HH, you have to match the lock to the cable size, or like you did, drill them out a little. I had problems with the 7x7 fraying and coming apart, especially if the swivel got bound up. I have had coyotes wear 7x7 in 1/2 and get away on fence sets. No problems since I went to all 1X19.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/12/2014 08:14 AM

The school'n never stops here, this is good stuff, thanks Yaz.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/12/2014 09:47 AM

Yaz,

The locks I have are 3/16 but the 1x19 3/16 wire i have is slightly bigger in diameter than the 3/16 7x7. I did catch my biggest yote ever on the 1x19 with the lock drilled out.

And by the way we are getting another 5-8" of snow today. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/12/2014 09:08 PM

Yaz,

The locks I have are 3/16 but the 1x19 3/16 wire i have is slightly bigger in diameter than the 3/16 7x7. I did catch my biggest yote ever on the 1x19 with the lock drilled out.

And by the way we are getting another 5-8" of snow today. h.h.
I noticed the same thing….AFTER I had put some used locks from old snares on the new 1x19. I just ran the locks up and down the snare a bunch of times to loosen them up a little. But you are correct need to check them and drill them out a little if needed.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/14/2014 09:30 PM

Ok, I pulled everything can't wait til next year already. smile Any of you guys keep on trapping and hunting your own land or with permission?

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/14/2014 11:30 PM

Im still snaring and will for a while yet. If i can catch a couple more then I will quit. Im snaring varmint control on my property. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/15/2014 03:39 PM

Snared this male today and missed another. Snow is still deep in spots and hard to walk in. Also caught my neighbors dog again, second time. Took the dog to his house but he wasnt home. Not sure how long I will continue to snare but this one makes 8 for the year. h.h.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/15/2014 04:12 PM

Nice going HH. Man, that snow is just too much for me to even look at! Keep at it.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/15/2014 11:14 PM

Get 'em HH!!!! If your not after fur, I'd stay after them all spring till they have litters. You'll really do some good them! I'm like Dave…..that snow makes me cringe!!!!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/16/2014 12:46 PM

Nice job HH, keep thinning them out.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 03:13 PM

Number 9 today is a female that didnt look to be bred. She didnt tear up the set so I remade it with a new snare. Ive got 3 snares out yet and plan on pulling them when I catch number 10. h.h.

[Linked Image]

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 03:53 PM

Nice one H.H.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 06:58 PM

Why waste your time pulling them? I'd fill em ALL up with coyotes before I pulled them if I were you laugh Nice going HH. Good to see some bare dirt up there now!

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 08:46 PM

Keep at it HH. She looks like she just laid down and gave up.

On another note, I talked with a guy I used to work, hunt and fish with who lives just south of Lafayette. He is trying to catch a troublesome skunk in a live trap for his neighbor. As we talked I quizzed him about how he was going to deal with it when he caught it. He said he just talks to them and lays a small towel over the trap and picks it up and puts it in his truck and drives to another farm he has permission to be on and simply lets it go. He swears he never gets sprayed by doing this.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 09:28 PM

One of the guys I work with, who has trapped for many years, was describing a similar experience(s) with trapping skunks. He has a rather unique way of dispatching them, that requires him to get up close and personal to do so. Claims he has not been sprayed since he was a kid.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 09:41 PM

Dave, she had went around the small trees just in front of her and choked herself off. If you look you can see how tight the cable is.

Yaz, Probably will keep after them for a while. Ive got some earth anchors to pull when the ground thaws out completely. There are still some patches of snow a foot deep yet. I can still get on my pond but the edges are gone. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 09:49 PM

I had an old Momma skunk that lived in my side yard in an old stump. She ended up having a litter there, and moved them under the dog house in the kennel. For a week, the poor beagle whined and cried, and I kept hollering at him!!! laugh I didn't see her digging in the side yard any more, and assumed she had moved out. I finally wondered why the dog wouldn't go in his box, so I went out and dug around. I thought I could smell skunk, and lifted up the box, and there were the babies. I didn't have the heart to dispatch them. So I set a live trap, and caught her. I waited until she was sound asleep, and put an old blanket over the trap. I put the little ones in a 5 gallon bucket, and moved them back in the woods to an old groundhog hole. I just went easy, and moved really slow. None of them even offered to spray. But, she was used to seeing me all the time too, so that might have had something to do with it.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 10:25 PM

Nice one HH. Yea, keep them snares out and catch'em all.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/20/2014 10:29 PM

Keep going HH. Plenty of time to get your goal.

Hate skunks.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/27/2014 07:04 PM

Hey HH, have you give up and pulled everything? Just wondered haven't seen any posts in a while.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/27/2014 07:46 PM

Yes, I pulled my snares Tuesday after I caught a hen turkey. I released her unharmed and decided that was it for this year. Not much sign anyway. h.h.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/27/2014 09:12 PM

I don't know what it is……But I have traveled I74 between Greensburg, and Indy for MANY years. This week alone there have been 6 coyotes that have been smashed on the interstate. 3 inside marion county, and one right on the off ramp at Greensburg. That one was right next to some apartments and a motel! I have never seen that many at once. Maybe one every month or so.

Re: some pics from the coyote line - 03/27/2014 09:17 PM

6 song dogs gone...maybe a couple fawns saved
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting