Home

guestion for you dog proof guys

Posted By: psearchery

guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/04/2013 09:46 PM

what are your favorite dog proof traps to use? thinking about using them this year just dont like the price of them.
Posted By: bean

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/04/2013 09:47 PM

I use Dukes. Never tried the others. Pretty cool traps. I also put a tin can over them to keep the rain out. Coons just lift it off - no big deal to them. Some guys paint theirs white.
Posted By: ParkerBow

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/04/2013 10:14 PM

I mostly have the dukes but I also have some of the Z-traps. The dukes work great. Some like the push/pull trigger better on the Z-traps. The dukes are just a pull trigger. DP's are the simplest and fastest traps to put down. I use styrofoam cups over mine but I have now made up PVC pipe and caps to fit in the hole. This way i can pre bait and pre set all my traps at home then just slam them in when I run my line.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/04/2013 10:21 PM

at thirteen dollars a trap thats kinda pricey but is the return worth the money? last year i just used 1.5 foot traps and caught a few but not many. looking to increase the numbers

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/04/2013 10:24 PM

Parker - I would like to see a pic of your pvc idea.
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 04:43 AM

I use Dukes but have bought some Z-traps this year to try.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 10:53 AM

I use dukes, bridgers, and coon daggers. All are good traps.

I like the stake on the dukes the best.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 11:04 AM

here is my DP setup

http://www.trapperman.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3870799/my_DP_trap_setup

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 11:22 AM

My coons averaged $23 at NAFA in February. Catch one coon per trap (over the entire season) and you are making a return on that investment.

DP traps allow be to trap places I cannot get a 1.5 coilspring into.

Originally posted by psearchery:
at thirteen dollars a trap thats kinda pricey but is the return worth the money? last year i just used 1.5 foot traps and caught a few but not many. looking to increase the numbers

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 11:55 AM

when selling through nafa can you sell directly to them or does there have to be a middle man? i know you get better pricing going with them just not sure how it works.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 12:17 PM

Billy,

here is the info on how to ship. Charlie Masheck at Hoosier Trapper Supply is a receiving agent and can take your fur and ship it to NAFA. You can check out this info and then call the shop if you have any questions.

http://www.hoosiertrappersupply.com/Home/NAFAInformation/tabid/113/Default.aspx

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 01:14 PM

thanks alot for the info. sounds to me to be the way to go if you have a decent amount of fur. this is only my second year so still concerned about my putting up ability but hope to improve on that this year

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 01:18 PM

Here you go Bean:

I get 10 ft length of 1 inch diameter pvc and the caps come in a bag of 12 at Lowes. Really cheap. I cut the pvc in 2 inch lengths and then put the cap on. you can glue them or just pop them on and tap them tight with a hammer. I then drill quarter inch holes through the cap and pipe for scent dispersal.
[Linked Image]

I also prefer to weld a fender washer on teh stake. This helps alot to satablize the trap.
I then can prebait all my dp's. Push the spring like you are setting it and then put he cap in the hole and let the spring compress on the cap.
[Linked Image]

Then when i go set them I can just compress the spring latch the dog and slam them in and go to the next.
[Linked Image]

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 01:21 PM

Forgot to add. This PVC idea keeps the rain out and mice cannot steal your bait. A coon will just knock it off.
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 03:50 PM

Good info parkerbow. ive only got one Duke dp trap and I had mice eating up the bait. Got kind of frustrating but now I know how to solve that problem. h.h.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 04:12 PM

Pretty slick idea right there. Off to Menards.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/05/2013 08:46 PM

A golf ball will work on top for the mice too. But you cant prebait them and prebaiting them saves a ton of time. Plus they are 90% set already at your location.
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/06/2013 08:39 AM

I've used golf balls on top and they work for mice and help with rain. I like parkers pvc too. I use a marshmellow on or under the trigger

I normally use Berkshire anchors but have also adapted some of 76's cable loops because there are some places Berkshire's will not go in the ground. Just make sure to use a big enough tree, coon will chew trees and climb them. Don't forget drags will work too.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/08/2013 10:04 PM

Any of you guys ever have wring outs with the DPs because the spikes were froze in the ground? I had it happen twice last year. When the ground freezes, I think I'll drive a short rebar in, and zip tie the trap to that so they can pull it off the rebar. I'm not much on the DP's unless its up around houses and barns where pets are around. I'm envious of the guys that are consistent with them. I'd just as soon use a 1.5 coil spring.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/12/2013 05:52 PM

Yaz, I have had one or two in 3 seasons of using them.

this one is froze in and going nowhere. I like the dp because it allows me to trap coon I could not trap in pocket sets. Not a replacement just another tool in the arsenal.

they are so easy and quick to throw in also.

[Linked Image]

Pull outs are pretty rare

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Yaz

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/13/2013 09:32 PM

I'm going to keep using them. I see that have a place in trapping. And I'm sure as I get more comfortable with them, I'll catch more in them. Just set in my ways I guess.....

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/28/2013 02:03 PM

I just received 12 Duke DP traps. Do you guys do anything to prepare them? I know some guys paint them. Just wondering what or if you do anything before you set them out.

Hey Parker - 1" pvc does not fit my dp's. Maybe it was 3/4" or a 1/2 maybe? smile

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/28/2013 02:09 PM

I have done it both ways

I prefer just to set them right out of the box first year and then paint or speed dip them at the end of the season to keep the rust down. I set them up like this with a cable loop anchor.

You are going to love them, they are some real coon catching machines!

[Linked Image]

Originally posted by bean:
I just received 12 Duke DP traps. Do you guys do anything to prepare them? I know some guys paint them. Just wondering what or if you do anything before you set them out.

Hey Parker - 1" pvc does not fit my dp's. Maybe it was 3/4" or a 1/2 maybe? smile

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/28/2013 02:28 PM

Thanks - what is your favorite bait?

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/28/2013 08:42 PM

Bean,
SOOOOOO sorry. I looked and it is 3/4 " sched 40 PVC. It is just a tad over 1" total measuremnet. Sorry again for the mis info.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/28/2013 08:44 PM

Originally posted by ParkerBow:
[b] I just received 12 Duke DP traps. Do you guys do anything to prepare them? I know some guys paint them. Just wondering what or if you do anything before you set them out.

Bean,
SOOOOOO sorry. I looked and it is 3/4 " sched 40 PVC. It is just a tad over 1" total measuremnet. Sorry again for the mis info. [/b]
Haha... no problem. Just gives me another excuse to go to Menards.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/31/2013 03:35 PM

jack mack and jello mix

Thanks - what is your favorite bait?
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/31/2013 06:11 PM

I was at Gander Mountain, Orscheln Farm Store and Big R and all of them had more traps than Ive seen in a while in stores around here. Gander had a very good selection of traps and supplies. I saw a lot of Duke DP traps. h.h.

Re: guestion for you dog proof guys - 10/31/2013 08:36 PM

I got my DP's from Bass Pro last week. Had a gift card and used it. BP had them for sale at 24.99 which is really high. I found DP's at a better price online and called BP. They price matched and was running a free shipping on everything over $45. I got a pretty good deal when they matched.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting