Home

any coon trappers?

Posted By: 76chevy

any coon trappers? - 06/29/2013 05:19 PM

do any of you guys on here coon trap?
Posted By: Yaz

Re: any coon trappers? - 06/29/2013 09:20 PM

Shoulda been on here last winter........... A LOT of trapping pictures, stories, tips. That would be a yes......
Posted By: psearchery

Re: any coon trappers? - 06/29/2013 11:18 PM

yes last year was a blast and cant wait for this year to start.
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/01/2013 09:11 PM

I'm basically a rookie but did manage to trap a few coon last winter. They were my only target animal and probably will be again this year, at least until I learn a little more about trapping.

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/01/2013 10:15 PM

you might check out trapperman.com

tons of trapping info and discussion
Posted By: psearchery

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/01/2013 10:32 PM

76 i seen your dp's on trapperman. looks good and a really simple way to catch the coons. i just used 1 1/2 dukes and 220 body traps in bucket sets last year and got a few. the coyotes arewhat has my interest the most. last year was my first year trapping so i to am still a rookie haymaker. if you need any advice dont be afraid to ask on here. there are alot of pros on here yaz and parkerbow really know what there doing.
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/02/2013 08:31 AM

Yupp, I'm on trapperman and followed along here last year. I caught coon in 220 trail sets, PVC sets with 1.5 Dukes but most came from Duke DP's. Just picked up some of the Z-trap DP's can't wait to try them out.

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/02/2013 10:01 AM

I can catch a LOT of coons in blind sets in culverts, under bridges, under root wads on the the creek banks, and pocket sets with steel traps. With my limited time in the winter with calving and feeding, I saw the DP's as a quicker/easier way. I did catch a few (very few) in the DP's this past season. I actually caught more coons in coyote snares, and traps than I did in the DP's. That is one aspect of trapping I am going to focus more on this season. Hopefully, I can figure it out.
Posted By: ParkerBow

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/02/2013 09:00 PM

The DP's are the way to go on the coons. Quick and easy to set a long line. I pre-bait all my DP's. I made a bunch of caps out of schedule 3/4 PVC pipe and end caps. I drill 1/4 inch holes in the cap part for scent dispersal. With these caps you can pre-bait, pre-set all but the dog prior to setting them out. And these caps keep mice and rain out. They are white for eye appeal also.
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/03/2013 08:06 PM

ive caught a few thousand over the years. Never used the DP traps. Like the idea but not the price. Best traps i have ever found are #11 longsprings. Gives a good paw catch, coons cant chew or pull out.

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/03/2013 11:25 PM

I like 11's also. Very good holding power.

I use a mix of footholds in blind sets, pockets and DPs on dryland trails.

With my mink averaging $25 and my muskrats averaging $14.5 at NAFA this year, I don't like to miss those.

DPs certainly have their place, but they are "mink and muskrat proof" also...

Re: any coon trappers? - 07/04/2013 10:18 PM

Originally posted by 76chevy:
With my mink averaging $25 and my muskrats averaging $14.5 at NAFA this year, I don't like to miss those.

DPs certainly have their place, but they are "mink and muskrat proof" also...
Exactly! I mostly used the DP's in areas around the houses and barns, where I didn't want any domestic by catch.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting