Home

Reached my goal

Posted By: ParkerBow

Reached my goal - 03/02/2013 12:55 PM

I reached my goal of 15 coyotes this year. I had this snare out since late Dec. and finally caught this young female this morning in the snow. I just hope the prices stay up on these critters during the May NAFA auction. It has been a fun trapping year and this trapping thread has been a blast. Trapping and this thread has made my winter months fly by. No argueing or gripeing, unlike ther deer hunting forum.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Reached my goal - 03/02/2013 01:07 PM

Congrats on a GREAT trapping season PB!
And thanks for sharing your journey thru it!
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: Reached my goal - 03/02/2013 01:16 PM

Good job PB, alway nice to reach your goal!!!
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Reached my goal - 03/02/2013 06:23 PM

Congrats PB on a great season. Next year you will see the reward of catching that many yotes with more deer sightings.

I agree the trapping forum has been a blast to read and participate in.

I caught a skunk in a 220 set on hole in the fence today. I was so worried about keeping the smell off me I forgot to take a picture....LOL h.h.
Posted By: maddogmech

Re: Reached my goal - 03/02/2013 07:07 PM

PB do you have them stretched and dried ? Hope you do good at the sale !!! Good job
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Reached my goal - 03/02/2013 10:10 PM

Congratulations on a very good trapping season PB. It has been fun, and I really like seeing everybody's catches. Those snares that you have looked at for months, and have always been empty, are worth it when they FINALLY catch just one coyote! Thats what I like about snares. You can afford to just leave them hang all season. Let us know how you do in the May auction.

I already can't wait until next season! laugh

Re: Reached my goal - 03/02/2013 10:55 PM

Originally posted by maddogmech:
PB do you have them stretched and dried ? Hope you do good at the sale !!! Good job
Yep, I skinned them, fleshed them, washed them a little and then stretched and boarded them. I only did not keep one since it looked liked he was grazed in deer season and he was all infected on his back. I am planning on taking a year end photo with all my fur and post it on here.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/02/2013 10:58 PM

Originally posted by hornharvester:
Congrats PB on a great season. Next year you will see the reward of catching that many yotes with more deer sightings.

I caught a skunk in a 220 set on hole in the fence today. I was so worried about keeping the smell off me I forgot to take a picture....LOL h.h.
HH. At least you can say you did not got skunked, or did you... smile I luckily have never caught a skunk but I am sure in time I will.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/03/2013 01:00 PM

Originally posted by ParkerBow:
[b] Congrats PB on a great season. Next year you will see the reward of catching that many yotes with more deer sightings.

HH. At least you can say you did not got skunked, or did you... smile I luckily have never caught a skunk but I am sure in time I will. [/b]
PB, Didnt get any stink on me. I used a pair of trap pliers to set 220 conibear with and used them to get him out of the trap. The 220 had him right behind the head and back by his real legs, it killed him so quick he didnt have time to spray....lol h.h.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/03/2013 04:48 PM

Well......did you skin Pepi HH??????? laugh

Re: Reached my goal - 03/03/2013 11:12 PM

Originally posted by Yaz:
Well......did you skin Pepi HH??????? laugh
Nope....he went for a swim in the ditch....lol h.h.
Posted By: wtlhaven

Re: Reached my goal - 03/05/2013 05:53 AM

Great season PB!!!
Posted By: Surveyor4

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 12:18 PM

What exactly did you think you were going to catch in a 220 in a hole in a fence? You do know that legal trapping of coon ended over a month ago right? You do realize that is a wreckless set that will instantly kill any wild or domestic animal and within the relm of possibility a child-guess you don't concern yourself with such things eh?

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 02:33 PM

Originally posted by Surveyor4:
[b] Congrats PB on a great season. Next year you will see the reward of catching that many yotes with more deer sightings.

What exactly did you think you were going to catch in a 220 in a hole in a fence? You do know that legal trapping of coon ended over a month ago right? You do realize that is a wreckless set that will instantly kill any wild or domestic animal and within the relm of possibility a child-guess you don't concern yourself with such things eh? [/b]
Since you dont know what I keep on one each side of the 1"x 2" welded wire fence with a hot wire on top, I suggest you keep your snide comments to yourself. h.h.

I knew this thread was going to good....LOL h.h.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 03:59 PM

Oh, now I see, it was set safely in a hole in a fence and you expected it to catch a ???? which is legal to trap in Indiana in March. But non target animals get in the set-darn the luck!!
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 06:11 PM

Keep up the good work, guys! cool
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 06:54 PM

Been going to a 8 week course at SEPAC on wildlife management.. Two things Picked up at the class 1= Good predator control does not make up for bad habitat and 2= killing all the coyotes doesn't make any difference in established deer and turkey Populations other than it could hurt Turkey ,s due to the fact that coyotes eat a lot of nest predators

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 06:56 PM

Surveyor,

Better read your regulations. Coyote and striped skunk are still in season. AND, as a landowner, he is ALLOWED to trap for nuisance animals at any time! You think after having the 1'st 8 rows of corn destroyed by coons every single year on my farm, I'm going to loose sleep over catching one??? You ever walked into the barn and lifted up a bale of hay to feed and been sprayed by a skunk?? I don't set for them this time of year, but if they get caught, and killed........

As far as catching a kid......I snared 10 Amish kids in holes in the fence this year!!! Trespassing little chits! I released them all with a good scolding though!!!! :p laugh

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 07:04 PM

I heard them Amish kids can jump 6 foot! eek laugh

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 07:05 PM

Originally posted by Weedhopper:
I heard them Amish kids can jump 6 foot! eek laugh
I tried dirt hole sets for them with beer for bait, but they kept jumping over the trap, and getting the bait!!!! laugh
Posted By: delaney

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 07:28 PM

Thro, interesting points. I don't at all buy the point on coyotes not affecting established deer numbers. Not when some guys have set cams on coyotes dens and had numerous pictures of fawns being taken to the den. But then again, I'm not a biologist. But, my problem with biology is that sometimes long established idealisms are simply wrong. For instance, years ago Steve Backs pretty much said turkeys just wouldn't live in areas of small forests or small woodlots. That was the prevailing biology thought. They were wrong and our farm is living proof of it.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 08:15 PM

They didn't say they wouldn't eat them they said it wouldn't effect the population that much.. But then you stop and think since coyotes came in the picture Deer Harvest have been growing or stable.this year a record, HMMMMMM!!!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 08:32 PM

Point taken, but in some areas. In areas of habitat loss of significance, I believe the biologists need to do some further studies. On the turkey's, our patch work woodlots over three country mile square blocks have significant flocks of birds where they said they wouldn't make it. All I'm saying is, that as habitat changes and predators become more adaptive to lesser habitat, the biologists need to open to reassessment.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 10:22 PM

Oh, now I see, it was set safely in a hole in a fence and you expected it to catch a ???? which is legal to trap in Indiana in March. But non target animals get in the set-darn the luck!!
Dont care what predator gets killed in the trap. The two skunks I caught a week ago wont be causing me any more trouble. I dont sell hides so all predators get a free ride down the ditch bank and become food for others.

Heres the last one, he was slipping under the gate by lifting up the second wire attached to the fence. The is also a bottom pole under the gate. Most of the time it keeps predators out but every once in a while they will dig under and then the 220 comes out.

Yaz, whats the limit on Amish? LOL

[Linked Image]

Re: Reached my goal - 03/09/2013 10:27 PM

Throback, I have a hard time believing removing yotes will not affect deer population. I read that 30% of fawn mortality is caused by coyotes, so 1 in 3 fawns that die are killed by yotes.

Ducks Unlimited had a article where they increased ducks by eliminating all the skunks, opossum and coon in a area around their nesting grounds and the ducks increase by 60%.

Less mouths to feed have to equal more game that survives. h.h.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/10/2013 12:06 AM

HH.....You are the skunk KING!!!!!! laugh

Re: Reached my goal - 03/10/2013 12:56 AM

Originally posted by THROBAK:
Been going to a 8 week course at SEPAC on wildlife management.. Two things Picked up at the class 1= Good predator control does not make up for bad habitat and 2= killing all the coyotes doesn't make any difference in established deer and turkey Populations other than it could hurt Turkey ,s due to the fact that coyotes eat a lot of nest predators
Sounds like an interesting course Dale. On the turkeys...you are saying that killing more coyotes actually affects the turkey population negatively because coyotes eat turkey nest predators??? So,the more coyotes you kill, less turkeys too?? Well chit! no wonder we can't get the turkeys established in my area!!! laugh

I understand where your coming from. These "studies" are all relative. I can do a study that proves that our red fox population has went to almost nothing because the coyotes killed all the groundhogs, and the foxes no longer have any denning sites. Is there any truth to it??? YES But it it the only reason? NO

Every area is different as we all know, and what the results of a study show may only be valid for the area the study was conducted in due to circumstances we will not ever see.

I agree 100% on your statement that habitat is THE single most limiting factor for deer populations, or any game/non-game animal for that fact. But when you have several limiting factors...ie. habitat, extreme hunting pressure, and predation, it's pretty tough. We do all we can do, and continue to try to improve habitat, but bottom-line is...corn and beans, and cows pay the bills, not CRP. Can't do anything at all about the shooters across the fence. That leaves something I CAN control.....the predation. I can see your point, in a normal, healthy, established herd, predation would have minimal impact. But, in my case.....the coyotes actually WAY outnumbered the deer in our area. When you have 30 coyotes in a area competing with the 1/2 dozen does for the same little bit of habitat, particularly fawning areas, the coyotes are going to win.

It could be circumstance, but after last years thinning of the coyotes, we had several more does stick around our farm to have fawns. I think they finally felt safe to have their fawns there, unlike in the past. They stuck around, and most, if not all of the fawns made it to hunting season. This summer and fall will tell the tail. It will be interesting to see what the deer are after two straight years of hammering the coyotes.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/10/2013 10:22 AM

ESTABLISHED Populations Is the Key here And that was pointed out..I have watched Coyotes go after Adult turkeys several times The dogs are looking for something wrong they don't see it they give up... Yaz here's one for ya How much alfalfa does a vole eat in a year?? compared that to how much is saved for each vole that is eaten by coyotes their preferred food ???

Re: Reached my goal - 03/10/2013 11:55 AM

Throback, It was late last night when I read your statement and after reading your statement again I better understand your point and agree with most of it.

If you supply habitat and remove predators you get the best results possible. h.h.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/10/2013 12:14 PM

Here is something to lighten the air a bit, if you look at the skunk picture notice the right side safety is still on. I rode up and thought hey another skunk, got off the 4 wheeler and walked up to the trap and the skunk moved his head around and looked at me...WHOA.....I backed up real quick! Man, Ive never seen an varmint survive a 220! I took aim over the fence with my .22 pistol and shot him 3-4 times expecting him to spray. I stood to the side of his rear exit hole just in case he let a load fly! After he expired I examined the trap to see why he was still alive and saw the safety on. Im not sure if I forgot to take it off or he pushed it back on when clawing under the fence. I used the trapping pliers to take him out of the trap and there wasn't much smell at all. I figured the trap had him stretched out so he couldn't fire off his load, which was real lucky for me....LOL h.h.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/10/2013 09:52 PM

Originally posted by THROBAK:
ESTABLISHED Populations Is the Key here And that was pointed out..I have watched Coyotes go after Adult turkeys several times The dogs are looking for something wrong they don't see it they give up... Yaz here's one for ya How much alfalfa does a vole eat in a year?? compared that to how much is saved for each vole that is eaten by coyotes their preferred food ???
I give up??? laugh But, the coyotes STILL don't get a break!!!! :p laugh That is one of the reasons we have so many coyotes. In the two square mile block where I play, I bet 1/3 or better is rolling hay ground. Lots of hunting for the canines!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 05:58 AM

Yaz Knew you would like that one LOL

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 09:31 AM

But, if we make it a financial assessment, landowners might destroy all the deer and turkeys. My point is only that once we put $;s into the equation, all things change.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 03:32 PM

Dave.

Its funny, to this day, I've got neighbors that would just soon see every deer, turkey, goose, crow, coon, you name it...be extinct. Even though, we don't have enough of any of them to really matter. When the DNR made the last release of wild turkeys in Indiana, it was close by in the southern part of our county. I had made mention of it in passing to this guy. Why, you'd thought the DNR just dropped in corn borers on his fields!!!! He went ballistic. Said he'd shoot every one of the "blankety blank" S.O.B's!!! laugh We did have to get a permit this spring to run some geese off the our fields. But, it didn't take but about three times of shooting over their heads, and they got the hint....and flew over to his fields!!!!! :p laugh They worry about very few $$ being lost to wildlife, when they could more than make up for it in farming practices I'm sure. We farm for profit, or it wouldn't be worth it. But we like seeing the wildlife too....they got eat also!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 04:46 PM

Surveyor,

Better read your regulations. Coyote and striped skunk are still in season. AND, as a landowner, he is ALLOWED to trap for nuisance animals at any time! You think after having the 1'st 8 rows of corn destroyed by coons every single year on my farm, I'm going to loose sleep over catching one??? You ever walked into the barn and lifted up a bale of hay to feed and been sprayed by a skunk?? I don't set for them this time of year, but if they get caught, and killed........

As far as catching a kid......I snared 10 Amish kids in holes in the fence this year!!! Trespassing little chits! I released them all with a good scolding though!!!! :p laugh
My beef isn't with anyone catching nusience animals, it is with someone posting about setting a 220 conibear in a hole in a fence. I have read a lot on this site the last couple years before signing up, so know the instant ridicule I am going to get by saying my biggest hobby in life is my coon hounds. I am a UKC licensed Master of hounds and president of a coon club. I spend thousands of dollars on my hounds, which are like my children, every year. I know the 220 is legal on dry land in Indiana as much as I wish it wasn't, just wish people would be careful with them. Yaz, no I've never been sprayed directly by a skunk, but have had it all over me from touching a dog that had.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 05:04 PM

I would think if I were running hounds on prop I'd know if there were any sets to worry about thru communication with te landowner and any other person with permission to be on that property. Trapping is sure a dying breed and don't hear too often of people trespassing to set traps, coon hunting on the other hand is a can of worms I won't open.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 05:15 PM

Yea, thats exactly the kind of responce I expected-coon hunters are tresspassing scum in the eyes of many on here. The tresspassing part is true.......well kind of-my dogs often tresspass as they can't read or tell where property lines are and keeping them on the property you cut them is difficult. Maybe you don't hear of trappers tresspassing, but I sure do. Regardless the biggest threats to our sports comes from those against all hunting and trapping-might want to think about that. Oh, by the way, I have trapped off and on all my life, and caught several neighbors and family members dogs, all released unharmed because I don't put killer traps on dry land!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 06:08 PM

Surveyor, the coon hunting issue is a difficult one. I wish the coon hunting fraternity would deal with its own, but basically they won't. What I mean by that is there should be some peer to peer addressing of the "fraternity" when guys are releasing onto five acre woodlots where they fully know the coon dogs are likely going to go off the property onto lands where the hunters do not have permission to go upon. Then it seems like some, not all, coon hunters get all goofy when landowners do something like legal trapping on their own property because they are concerned that their trespassing dogs will get hurt. It would seem to me that if I owned and ran coon dogs, I would know every landowner within a mile, at least, of where I released the dogs and knew specifically if they were trapping. If I found that they were using 220's or in some cases even snares, I think I'd run my dogs somewhere else because if the dog does get hurt, it fault seems to me to reside with the dog owner, certainly not the landowner. I suppose the day will come when coon guys will have to lease a couple thousand continuous acres to safely run their dogs, which might solve some of the issues that come from coon dogs, and then subsequently their owners, going onto property that they are not wanted on by the landowner.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 06:38 PM

Didn't call anyone scum, I reserve that for trespassing mushroom hunters!! But you can't expect someone to alter there legal method of trapping on their own land. I've never caught a dog hope I never do trespassing or not, but at the same time I would ho

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 06:39 PM

Hope the owners of the dog take responsibility of me catching their dog on the land I have permission to be on.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 06:54 PM

Good points and I pretty much agree with ya. I do my best to keep track of traps in my area and have never had one killed. Had a couple caught in leg holds and snares don't have a problem with that, just wish people would realize the danger of the 220 and take precautions and not post about sticking them in holes in fences on a public website.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 07:01 PM

[b] Surveyor,

My beef isn't with anyone catching nusience animals, it is with someone posting about setting a 220 conibear in a hole in a fence. I have read a lot on this site the last couple years before signing up, so know the instant ridicule I am going to get by saying my biggest hobby in life is my coon hounds. I am a UKC licensed Master of hounds and president of a coon club. I spend thousands of dollars on my hounds, which are like my children, every year. I know the 220 is legal on dry land in Indiana as much as I wish it wasn't, just wish people would be careful with them. Yaz, no I've never been sprayed directly by a skunk, but have had it all over me from touching a dog that had. [/b]
Maybe you should have asked a couple questions before you decided I was being morally unethical and criticize me. h.h.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 07:17 PM

Yea, thats exactly the kind of responce I expected-coon hunters are tresspassing scum in the eyes of many on here. The tresspassing part is true.......well kind of-my dogs often tresspass as they can't read or tell where property lines are and keeping them on the property you cut them is difficult. Maybe you don't hear of trappers tresspassing, but I sure do. Regardless the biggest threats to our sports comes from those against all hunting and trapping-might want to think about that. Oh, by the way, I have trapped off and on all my life, and caught several neighbors and family members dogs, all released unharmed because I don't put killer traps on dry land!
Oldest coon hunter line in the world is my dog cant read and therefor my trespassing on your property is justified.

If you cant control your dog in the field then learn to accept the consequences. I loss zero sleep over whether Im going to catch someones dog in a trap on my property while trapping in a legal manner. Blaming others for your own recklessness is a lame excuse.

I own and been involved with hunting dogs for over 50 years and have a kennel full now. If one of my dogs were killed on someones property while trespassing I would blame myself, try to learn from this incident and move on. . h.h.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 08:16 PM

"I loss zero sleep over whether Im going to catch someones dog in a trap on my property while trapping in a legal manner."
Yea, thats pretty much the kind of guy I had you pegged to be. If I say my thoughts\emotions on this I'll get banned. Lets just say I hope we never meet in this kind of situation.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 09:28 PM

So you'd seriously blame the landowner in that situation, trapping in a legal manner on his property?? Well alright, and ya wonder why coon hunters get the label they get. Kinda guy that'd spill his cup of coffee in a McDonald's slip and fall in it and sue the restaurant, only in America!!!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 09:35 PM

Surveyor,

I can appreciate your concern for your hounds. I know they don't know property lines, and can get where they are not suppose to be. I should know. My father was the president of the Treeing Walker Association for MANY years. My Mother the secretary. I followed a hound on my Dads shoulders before I could walk. We travelled all over the country night hunting. I'm NOT going to get into the wizzing match hound men get into. BUT, I can see both sides of the story. However, as a property owner, and farmer, if someones dog runs a coon onto or through my property, that don't bother me too much. ( I understand). As long as it is incidental, I let it pass. If a dog gets into my traps that I legally set, then so be it! I would NEVER go on a public site and bash someone for doing so. This is coming from a houndsman at heart! Kind of sounds to me like your "beef" is with guys trapping and killing all "your" coons that you want to run with your hounds!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 10:52 PM

Surveyor,

I can appreciate your concern for your hounds. I know they don't know property lines, and can get where they are not suppose to be. I should know. My father was the president of the Treeing Walker Association for MANY years. My Mother the secretary. I followed a hound on my Dads shoulders before I could walk. We travelled all over the country night hunting. I'm NOT going to get into the wizzing match hound men get into. BUT, I can see both sides of the story. However, as a property owner, and farmer, if someones dog runs a coon onto or through my property, that don't bother me too much. ( I understand). As long as it is incidental, I let it pass. If a dog gets into my traps that I legally set, then so be it! I would NEVER go on a public site and bash someone for doing so. This is coming from a houndsman at heart! Kind of sounds to me like your "beef" is with guys trapping and killing all "your" coons that you want to run with your hounds!
Yaz, Im not PO about coon hunters trespassing either but to have one come on here in a trapping thread and tell me Im being unethical for legally trapping varmints off my land cause I might catch his coon dog is a little too much.

Trapping forum is about trapping so lets get back on topic and talk about catchin' them varmints whatever they are. h.h.

And sorry to PB for trashing his thread.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/11/2013 11:28 PM

No beef with anyone trapping coon whatsoever. Just no use for a man who says he would loose no sleep over killing a mans dog, cat or whatever domestic animal in a wreckless set. I caught someones pitbull this year in a relaxing lock snare on my own property. Don't even know who's dog it was, but it was someones and I am very happy I chose the relaxing lock snare because I would have lost a lot of sleep killing him. This is my last post on this thread-no good can come of it. I will take the fight to the Indiana legislators and try to get the 220 banned if not under water or well above ground, like many states have already implemented.
Posted By: Hanes

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 12:40 AM

I just find it a but ridiculous that you want to have something outlawed, trapping with a 220, to solve another problem that is created by trespassing, usually. Remember, there is a leash law in Indiana also. I have little patience with any dog or cat on our family farm that is there without permission. I also find it a bit funny that in an earlier post you suggest sportsmen should stick together, yet you appear to not hesitate to go to the legislature to take something away from sportsmen to get your own way because you can't control you dog.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 09:06 AM

If your whole reason for signing on here was to say you are going to try to get the 220 banned above ground, why didnt you just say it?? Ever have valuable livestock killed by running dogs or coyotes? I HAVE! On more than one occasion. I WILL do what ever it takes to keep from loosing my animals. Its for damned sure the dogs owners will never take responsibility! Good luck in your attempts. Now PISS OFF!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 09:12 AM

Sorry Parkerbow for trashing your thread!!! Guess you spoke too soon about no dickering on these threads! :rolleyes: We made it ALMOST two seasons without it though!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 09:26 AM

Looks like we have someone taking up the slack Finney left..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 09:31 AM

Spot on weed!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 09:36 AM

Just for the record, i dont know about any body else on here, but i have NEVER caught a domestic dog in a 220, or a snare for that fact! In 40 years of trapping! Two in leg holds. One was the neighbors mutt, who i called to come help me get him out. He was pissed at his dog for running a mile from his house. The other one had a rabies tag, so i found and called the owner. They were thankful I found their lost dog. In 40 years!!!
Posted By: psearchery

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 09:53 AM

I've kept my mouth shut on this one long enough. Surveyor everyone has a right to express their opinions. But to come onto a trapping forumn where we have all had a blast on this forumn this trapping season and talk about banning one of the most effective nuisance traps on the market is ridiculous. There's two simple fixes for your dog in the traps problem. 1. Keep them on your property 2. Keep them on your property. And as you seen you know I run rabbit dogs and I will be the first to admitt they don't always stay where you want them to, but would I blame a trapper for my dumb nut dog for getting caught in his trap heck no. Now either drop the bs or as Yaz says pizzzz off.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 09:53 AM

I'd hate to shoot a kid's dog...but shooting an irresponsible owner is against the law. And for the record..I have never shot a renegade dog. It's frustrating as heck to sit on stand and hear the incessant barking of what you KNOW is going on.

Control them...or lose them. At my age...freebies are running slim. wink
Posted By: shooter

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 10:04 AM

Looks like we have someone taking up the slack Finney left..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And what happened to Mr. Finney? Seems I haven't seen any of his postings lately. Did I miss something?

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 10:37 AM

Just for the record, i dont know about any body else on here, but i have NEVER caught a domestic dog in a 220, or a snare for that fact! In 40 years of trapping! Two in leg holds. One was the neighbors mutt, who i called to come help me get him out. He was pissed at his dog for running a mile from his house. The other one had a rabies tag, so i found and called the owner. They were thankful I found their lost dog. In 40 years!!!
Ive never caught a dog in a 220 either but did catch my neighbors two dogs last year in snares. Both were unharmed and I released them.

Bad thing was I warned him 2-3 weeks before I was going to set snares and to keep them home. This guy doesn't even have collars on them so I doubt he cares much if either one doesn't come home. I've ran his dogs off numerous times and asked him many times (especially during deer season) to keep them home. My patience's is pretty much worn out with him and his dogs. h.h.

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 10:46 AM

No beef with anyone trapping coon whatsoever. Just no use for a man who says he would loose no sleep over killing a mans dog, cat or whatever domestic animal in a wreckless set. I caught someones pitbull this year in a relaxing lock snare on my own property. Don't even know who's dog it was, but it was someones and I am very happy I chose the relaxing lock snare because I would have lost a lot of sleep killing him. This is my last post on this thread-no good can come of it. I will take the fight to the Indiana legislators and try to get the 220 banned if not under water or well above ground, like many states have already implemented.
If you would follow the law and keep your dog off someone else property that you DONT have permission to hunt or trial then none of this is even rellivent. Put the blame on the person who deserves it if an accident happens....YOU the dog owner!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 10:47 AM

Originally posted by shooter:
[b] Looks like we have someone taking up the slack Finney left..... :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
And what happened to Mr. Finney? Seems I haven't seen any of his postings lately. Did I miss something? [/b]
Nah...you didn't miss a thing.. cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Smxk_M8tiU

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 10:58 AM

Sorry PB...I got distracted... :rolleyes: laugh

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 11:51 AM

You ain't right!!!

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 12:31 PM

You ain't right!!!
eek laugh laugh wink

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 01:05 PM

I kind of liked that video.....thanks Weed. h.h.
Posted By: gundude

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 04:17 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Surveyor4:
No beef with anyone trapping coon whatsoever. Just no use for a man who says he would loose no sleep over killing a mans dog, cat or whatever domestic animal in a wreckless set. I caught someones pitbull this year in a relaxing lock snare on my own property. Don't even know who's dog it was, but it was someones and I am very happy I chose the relaxing lock snare because I would have lost a lot of sleep killing him. This is my last post on this thread-no good can come of it. I will take the fight to the Indiana legislators and try to get the 220 banned if not under water or well above ground, like many states have already implemented. [/
QUOTE]

Thats just foolish
.my dogs stay right here... i expepct the same of my neighbors .. if they cant carr for thier own so be it

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 04:26 PM

It's Ok fellas to stick up for what we believe in. I am sure none of us put a trap in to purposely catch a non target animal such as the neighbors dog, but it does happen occationally and will continue to happen if you trap long enough. I too agree owners need to keep their dogs on their own property. Also Surveyor, you said you use relaxing locks on your snares. Well there is no guarantee a dog or other animal caught in a relaxing lock cannot still be killed by it. Such as hanging itself by entanglement. Should we ban snares. Come on... Don't sign up on here and go to the trapping forum and assume we are non responsible. you get a another "whizz off from me"

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 04:34 PM

Ditto Parker.... cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L9EKqQWPjyo
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 04:52 PM

Just no use for a man who says he would loose no sleep over killing a mans dog, cat or whatever domestic animal in a wreckless set. I caught someones pitbull this year in a relaxing lock snare on my own property. Don't even know who's dog it was, but it was someones and I am very happy I chose the relaxing lock snare because I would have lost a lot of sleep killing him. This is my last post on this thread-no good can come of it. I will take the fight to the Indiana legislators and try to get the 220 banned if not under water or well above ground, like many states have already implemented.
My buddy has dogs running all over his property because his toothless in-breed neighbors choose to be irresponsible dog owners... He has a shoot on site policy and if I had a gun last fall I would have killed a pit bull that chased a buck off...

I could care less what you or anyone thinks of me if I shoot the dogs... If they choose to be irresponsible, then I will gladly absolve them of that irresponsibility, and NO I won't lose one iota bit of sleep about it either....

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 05:00 PM

Looks like this Surveyor dude got the much-needed internet attention he was sorely lacking. Ignore the troll fellas.... cool

Parker,,,HH,,,Yaz...keep on with the trapping updates! This forum has been awesome to follow thru the nasty months! You guys rock!!
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 05:51 PM

Looks like this Surveyor dude got the much-needed internet attention he was sorely lacking. Ignore the troll fellas.... cool

Parker,,,HH,,,Yaz...keep on with the trapping updates! This forum has been awesome to follow thru the nasty months! You guys rock!!
+1
Posted By: BREW...

Re: Reached my goal - 03/12/2013 06:42 PM

+2
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting