Home

So it begins..................

Posted By: Yaz

So it begins.................. - 01/08/2013 08:09 PM

Made a couple sets Saturday since the snares aren't working yet. This one was a hybrid dirt hole/flat set made after cleaning out a spot in the snow in the pasture bottom. Large male. When the snow clears out a little more, I have a spot in mind to set up a trail cam on a dirt hole set, and see what happens.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: psearchery

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/08/2013 08:18 PM

That is a beautiful yote. Yaz you make this coyote stuff look So easy. I have been at it for almost two months and still no yotes. Have tracks all around just can't get one in my traps.
Posted By: delaney

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/08/2013 09:27 PM

Good picture. Love the drama of the yotes being outwitted.
Posted By: Haymaker

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/08/2013 10:14 PM

Nice, he doesn't look happy to see you!
Posted By: DawnPatrol

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/08/2013 10:54 PM

Very Nic Yaz........That Yote Looks PIzzed Off......Big Time!
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/08/2013 11:57 PM

Nice! He is definitely sizing you up......h.h.
Posted By: solohunter

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/09/2013 07:24 AM

Have you ever just walked up to one and tried to pet it? Just curious.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/09/2013 11:05 AM

Originally posted by solohunter:
Have you ever just walked up to one and tried to pet it? Just curious.
Actually Solo, I do a Vulcan Mind Meld, and re-habilitate them to not eat our calves and fawns. Then I release them!!! :p laugh
Posted By: wtlhaven

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/09/2013 12:31 PM

Atta boy!!!!... With all the scent around from the boys, I'm surprised you caught one that fast.

BTW, you decide to go pet one, let me know so I can be there to watch... laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/09/2013 12:55 PM

Originally posted by wtlhaven:
Atta boy!!!!... With all the scent around from the boys, I'm surprised you caught one that fast.

I will bring the Handy Cam..... eek

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/09/2013 12:57 PM

Originally posted by Yaz:
Originally posted by solohunter:
[b] Have you ever just walked up to one and tried to pet it? Just curious.
Actually Solo, I do a Vulcan Mind Meld, and re-habilitate them to not eat our calves and fawns. Then I release them!!! :p laugh [/b]
Get the Turtle Man up here to handle one, that would be funny...
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/09/2013 01:34 PM

I'll video it too... laugh
Posted By: ParkerBow

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/09/2013 07:37 PM

Nice work Yaz. It has been pretty slow for me. I have caught 4 yotes and 3 gray foxes. All the yotes were males. The coons are not running much either as i only caught 10 of them and I have been running 2 dozen Duke dogproofs for a month now. I belive all 10 of those were males too.
Posted By: BowBo

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/09/2013 08:19 PM

That's a killer photo!
Nice catch Yaz smile

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 11:34 AM

Originally posted by ParkerBow:
Nice work Yaz. It has been pretty slow for me. I have caught 4 yotes and 3 gray foxes. All the yotes were males. The coons are not running much either as i only caught 10 of them and I have been running 2 dozen Duke dogproofs for a month now. I belive all 10 of those were males too.
Talk about SLOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWW!!!! I've had a couple sets out, and 3 or 4 snares in my "go to" spots, and one yap is all I can manage! Not complianing about NOT having them around. I HOPE thats just the case, and not that I've lost my "edge"!!! laugh Now that the weather has straightend out, I'm putting on the full fledged assult this weekend! wink Coons must have took a hit this summer with the drought, and disease. My father being retired normally catches 150+ a year, and has caught 30.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 05:16 PM

I caught a coon today in one of my snares, big ol boar. Im moving all my sets this weekend and see what happens. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 05:35 PM

I have caught two coons and two possums in two months. This is with nine coyote sets five bucket sets and foot traps.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 06:27 PM

Guys, I think I'm having withdrawal from a lack of pictures! This thread is my favorite this time of year and you're leaving my hanging.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 06:54 PM

I wasnt sticking around long enough to take a picture of Pepi LaPew for you Dave!!!!! :rolleyes: laugh That was a 1'st for me. Never snared a skunk in all my years

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 07:06 PM

I caught a gray fox today in one of my snares. Sorry Delaney I did not take a picture I just wanted you to suffer some more. laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 07:17 PM

Parker, keeping all the visual fun to yourself is just COLD!

Yaz, you would've got an extra "man card" for taking a picture of you and white stripe sitting next to each other smiling.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 08:26 PM

Nothing today but did encounter a beautiful red fox roaming the field. Now he just has to make it into one of my sets.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/15/2013 10:31 PM

I'm heading out Thursday for a few days doubt ill be able to get any beaver sets out due to creek levels but hopefully the coons and dogs are moving.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/16/2013 04:13 PM

Caught his one today, nice big male that I guess would weigh about 35 lbs.

[Linked Image]

Don't want Delaney to have withdrawal symptoms....lol. h.h.
Posted By: Hanes

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/16/2013 04:55 PM

Man, I was a day away from therapy. Thanks HH
Posted By: jbwhttail

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/16/2013 05:46 PM

I really enjoy watching all you trapping guys success. Keep the pictures coming!

Yaz you catch it........you gotta post a pic....

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/16/2013 08:30 PM

I figure you guys might get tired of these pics but I guess not. Here is a nice male gray fox I caught on a dirt hole set with a sleepy creek 1 3/4. This is number 4 this year.
[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/16/2013 08:55 PM

Nice looking grey.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/16/2013 09:09 PM

You doing good Parker!!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/16/2013 09:57 PM

Very nice........keep them coming!
Posted By: bean

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/16/2013 10:29 PM

Keep pics coming. I enjoy everyones success.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 09:06 AM

Not mine, but more proud of it than if it was. Tristan asked for traps for Christmas, so I got him a half dozen Duke dog proofs, half dozen 1 1/2s, and a couple #2s. He currently has sets out for coon, mink, and yotes.

This coon was his first catch after setting and baiting the set on his own. Very proud of him!!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 09:48 AM

Congrats to Tristan!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 09:49 AM

You guys are working on them!!!! Yes, keep posting pics!!!!! Parker, you are fortunate to have gray's. I havent seen one in our part of the country in 20 years! There was a time when they were plentiful, along with the reds. Coyotes, and habitat I suppose. I'd LOVE to catch just one to mount! I think they are the neatest animal. HH, You got 'em figured out now man!!!! wink And Tristan has done something I can't seem to do.....catch a damned coon in a DP!!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 10:03 AM

Parker, Nice catch and I agree with Yaz, very, very few grays around here any more. Reds are hard to come by too since the yote population got healthy. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 10:05 AM

I had a DP out with marshmallows as bait and the mice keep eating the bait....lol h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 10:16 AM

Originally posted by hornharvester:
I had a DP out with marshmallows as bait and the mice keep eating the bait....lol h.h.
At this point in the game....I'd LOVE to catch a mouse....SOMETHING!!!! Geeeesh! laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 01:27 PM

Tristan has done something I can't seem to do.....catch a damned coon in a DP!!!! :rolleyes: laugh [/QB]
He wanted me to let you know that he is willing to offer you lessons. :p laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 01:56 PM

laugh laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 02:16 PM

Put a soup can over it. Worked for us and also keeps water out.

Nice job Tristan. Those DP traps are pretty cool.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 04:25 PM

Originally posted by bean:
[b] I had a DP out with marshmallows as bait and the mice keep eating the bait....lol h.h.

Nice job Tristan. Those DP traps are pretty cool. [/b]
I usually put an 8oz styrofoam cup over mine for eye appeal and it keeps the rain out. If I have a mouse stealing my bait I will put a golfball on top and the mice cant get in.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 05:02 PM

[b]
[b] I had a DP out with marshmallows as bait and the mice keep eating the bait....lol h.h.

Nice job Tristan. Those DP traps are pretty cool. [/b]
I usually put an 8oz styrofoam cup over mine for eye appeal and it keeps the rain out. If I have a mouse stealing my bait I will put a golfball on top and the mice cant get in. [/b]
Good idea w/ the golfball. Tried the styrofoam cup once and ended up having to clean up a mess. Grant Woods spray paints his trap and tin cans white for eye appeal like you are talking about.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 08:42 PM

At this point in the game....I'd LOVE to catch a mouse....SOMETHING!!!! Geeeesh! laugh [/b]
Yaz.....your just too good at trapping and trapped your way out of business.... laugh h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 09:13 PM

I think I found a couple yaps to work on. I had forgot about a trail camera since before Christmas. I thought it had dead batteries, and I turned it off. I pulled it tonight, and apparently not! Had a couple thousand pics! There was been a pair crossing the lane where I have seen them all summer. They have been through there about 4 times a week. No snaring there, as the fence is down. Gonna have to make a couple sets there. If that don't work, gonna have to have Tristan come down and show me how to catch coons! laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 09:30 PM

Now the pressures on.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/17/2013 09:49 PM

I'm gonna catch his arse RIGHT where he is standing in that picture!!! laugh laugh HH, it would not hurt my feelings if there wasn't ANY around to catch. As of right now, we have not had one single problem with them in the calves. The barn lot where I caught the majority of them last year has produced 0. Not even a track in there.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/18/2013 07:11 AM

gonna have to have Tristan come down and show me how to catch coons! laugh
Hope you can connect on those yaps so you don't have to resort to chasin coons. Tristan said his fees aren't cheap... :p laugh

He nabbed these yesterday. Screwed up and didn't take live pics of them. The one coon had yanked out the 2' rebar stake and made it about 30 yds before getting hung on a limb and was stuck. And boy was he ticked off. Soooo, with all the excitement it slipped my mind about getting pics. frown

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/18/2013 08:05 AM

Good pick of Tristan and the catch!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/18/2013 07:06 PM

Way to go Tristan! h.h.
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/19/2013 01:02 PM

Coons can be some real mean critters....

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/19/2013 08:34 PM

Snared another Male coyote today but did not take my camera or phone with me. The wife wanted to go to town so I had to hurry up and run my line. Isn't it funny everytime the wife wants to do something we end up dragging something home. smile Needless to say she was not too happy she had to wait on me to skin the thing out. I was in the "Yote house" for a few hours until she cooled off. You think after 17 years she would realize she comes after hunting and trapping. wink

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/19/2013 08:51 PM

Congrats! But, you must remember, we are your "extended" family and we need pictures! Buy her flowers, post us pictures! laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/19/2013 10:04 PM

Ahhhhhh..COME ON PARKER!!!! WE NEED PICS!!!! I forgot what one looks like!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Put a couple more sets in the ground, and put up 4 snares. Still not much sign. My friend and neighbor went with me today to learn the snaring ropes. We called the neighbor that farms east and south of us, and we are going over there to make some sets tomorrow. He said he has been hearing them south of his his house, which is about a mile as the crow flies from our farm. WIth everything else I have going on right now, I can't handle all that, so my buddy is going to run and take care of those. So I "recruited" some help, and expanding the line! laugh

ALSO, made a couple coons sets.........just to show that young punk Tristan that this old man CAN catch a coon!!!!! :p laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/20/2013 09:01 AM

Snared another Male coyote today but did not take my camera or phone with me. The wife wanted to go to town so I had to hurry up and run my line. Isn't it funny everytime the wife wants to do something we end up dragging something home. smile Needless to say she was not too happy she had to wait on me to skin the thing out. I was in the "Yote house" for a few hours until she cooled off. You think after 17 years she would realize she comes after hunting and trapping. wink
Nice........lol...........congrats on another one!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/20/2013 11:43 AM

are the dp traps worth it for coons? that easier to set looking into them for next season. gonna get serious about trapping any info helps, thanks.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/20/2013 11:50 AM

The dp's are worth it. You can pre-bait and set them at home and then stick a 1 inch dowel rod in them. You can just take the dowel rod out and set the trigger slam in an earth anchor and go to the next. I have 2 dozen duke dp's but I think the new Z-traps may be better. The trigger on them are push or pull where as a duke is only a pull trigger. Dp's are alot quicker.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/20/2013 11:54 AM

Originally posted by delaney:
Congrats! But, you must remember, we are your "extended" family and we need pictures! Buy her flowers, post us pictures! laugh
I took her out to eat and let her shop some. I am out of the yote house until next time. smile I will make sure to take pics next time for you guys.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/20/2013 08:14 PM

All three of my coon sets that I made yesterday had one in it today. I set a DP, and a bucket set 6' apart, and had both of them there. I made a pocket set under the bridge, (hoping for a mink) and had another toon there. Still nothing in the yote sets.
Little Frisky's tuna and salmon was the bait in all three. Left the shiny foil containers right with the traps for eye appeal. They seem to like it! laugh
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/20/2013 08:39 PM

Nice going. So, does anyone eat these coons? I remember a guy I worked with many years ago in Lafayette making "hamburgers" out of coons. I think he did mix it with regular burger.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/20/2013 08:58 PM

i have eaten them twice in my life. Don't think I will be eating any more. I do have an older guy that I work with that I have to give 3 or 4 a year to. His Mother fixes them once a year over the Holidays.
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/20/2013 09:10 PM

Nice going. So, does anyone eat these coons? I remember a guy I worked with many years ago in Lafayette making "hamburgers" out of coons. I think he did mix it with regular burger.
Down in Florida... Folks around Orlando would drive two hours north to get coons that people trap up there... Funny thing is is that anyone who trapped one would have to leave the feet on it or they wouldn't accept it.... Apparently, people were trying to pass cats off as coons....LOL laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 08:58 AM

ALSO, made a couple coons sets.........just to show that young punk Tristan that this old man CAN catch a coon!!!!! :p laugh
Jr. said to tell the OLD MAN he's falling behind... :p laugh

3 more coons for him over the weekend along with 2 possums and a mouse. Had something stealing the mallows out of the one trap, so he set it so it would fire with the slightest movement. Had Mr.Mouse waiting for him yesterday... LOL

Traditionalarcher17, the DPs are for sure worth it!!!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 11:43 AM

[b] ALSO, made a couple coons sets.........just to show that young punk Tristan that this old man CAN catch a coon!!!!! :p laugh
Jr. said to tell the OLD MAN he's falling behind... :p laugh [/b]
Tell Jr. 11 more days left in the season.....he better bring his "A" game if he thinks he's gonna beat me!!!!! :p laugh

BTW- Ask him if I can borrow his metal detector to find that #3 I set and can't find now!!!! :rolleyes:

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 11:59 AM

Congrats Tristan! Ya might beef up that chain for the mouse sets next time... wink laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 01:15 PM

laugh laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 03:30 PM

def convinced me to get some dps. my only problem is my trapping/hunting land is 2 hrs from my door so i get down after work to set traps late thursday nights bout 7 pm and have to head home saturday bout noon so i dont have much time for them to sit. this year im at 3 coons, 1 opposum, 1 coyote and 5 beaver

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 08:34 PM

Trad,

You won't have a hard time at all finding a farmer let you trap coons!!! They do Waaaaaay more corn damage than the deer ever thought about doing.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 08:42 PM

Yes I know, that's on my spring agenda got a few places on mind on my way to my sons school and we could check em after I pick him up on the way home

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 09:18 PM

TA...you still around Camby??

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 09:23 PM

I caught a few coon this year in Duke Dps. Below is a pic from last year. I made a rookie mistake and didn't anchor the DP properly and he made off with my trap. Well, 4 days later about 300 yds north, I caught him again in another one of my DPs.
[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 09:36 PM

Well Haymaker......you just went and spoiled the whole idea of catching those "crafty, and intelligent" raccoons!!!!!! laugh That one obviously wasn't very bright!!!! eek laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 10:08 PM

Yaz I live south now greenwood/whiteland area now.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 10:12 PM

Haymaker I had the same thing happen with a beaver this year. He broke off with a leg trap I was sick to my stomach cause i just knew he had that trap on his foot and was caught somewhere and died and gone to waste but the next week I caught him by his front foot in another trap same slide, with my mb750 on his back foot.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 10:13 PM

Haymaker, that coon was worth some money after the first escape!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/21/2013 10:55 PM

Yaz: Them bandits can be pretty slick. I've had large marshmellows removed from under the trigger without tripping the trap.

TA: I was sick too when I lost him due to my bonehead mistake. Glad to hear you got him and your MB750 back. They don't give those traps away.

Delaney: your right, his value more than doubled on the second catch.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 07:34 AM

That's crazy that you caught that coon again Haymaker. Good thing you did... LOL... Tristan had one pull a 2' rebar stake, but he got the trap caught on a big limb and only made it about 30 yards thankfully.

He had this one waiting on him yesterday. Biggest coon so far for him. Old warrior boar with broke off canines.

Yaz, Jr wanted me to let you know this makes #7..... :p laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 08:47 AM

Good picture. The fawns and ground nesting birds surely appreciate your guys efforts. We are going to have to tally the numbers after season is over for all HH fur chasers.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 11:17 AM

Good picture. The fawns and ground nesting birds surely appreciate your guys efforts.
You are correct!!! Lots of quail and turkeys lost to nest raiders! Same goes for the corn!!!! laugh

Wtlhaven, Tell him I'm just letting him get a good head start!!!!! laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 06:36 PM

Do you still have to boil or wax the dp traps? Has anyone tried that full metal jacket dip yet, if so any opinions??

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 06:41 PM

Originally posted by traditionalarcher17:
Do you still have to boil or wax the dp traps? Has anyone tried that full metal jacket dip yet, if so any opinions??
No - do not have to dip. Coons don't care. I have seen guys actually paint them white for eye appeal. Does not get much simplier than a DP.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 07:42 PM

Caught a big boar coon today. Took a pic just have to upload when I get home. Was caught in a bucket set.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 07:51 PM

Congrats PSE. I wondered if they would moving with the low temps.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 07:55 PM

I wasent expecting to get a coon with the frigid temps. This was my second one skinning and definately went a lot easier this go around.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 07:59 PM

Had this big male yote waiting for me today. This makes 34 yotes on my 33 acres in 3 years. Also have caught 3 fox and last year caught 3 bobcats on the same 33 acres. These are cell phone pics so they are not the best.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 08:08 PM

Parker I just recently started snaring but have heard a lot about it not killing them does this happen often. I.more just wanna know how cautious I need to be aproaching the snares.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 08:21 PM

I would say 90% of the yotes i catch are still alive when I come upon them. The only way they are dead is if they hang themselves around the tree or brush. Indiana has the law of using relaxing locks so this is the reason they are not dead when I catch them. I used to shoot them in the head but they bleed so darn much so now I shoot them right behind the shoulder. Kills them pretty quick with less blood everywhere. You definately need to be very careful not to get bit by a yote as you will have to take a series of rabies shots.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 08:28 PM

Ok thanks very much I will be sure to take caution.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 08:32 PM

My old bucket caught another boar toon last night. Everything else was froze up....including my DP.

Dave, when it get gets cold this time of year, the sows lay up in the dens, and you catch mostly boars, as they are rutting this time of year. I was surprised to have one today.

Parker, nice job man!!!!! Can you get a little closer to your next yote for the pic? I'm having a hard time seeing it!!! laugh

PSE, most of my yotes are dead when I get to them. However, I snare fences, and most times give them enough rope to jump the fence and hang. A lot of times, its so quick I can re-use the snare.

I've have a trail cam on a couple coyote sets. The only interest I've had is the local deer population!!!!! They don't like the smell I can tell you!

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 08:33 PM

BTW Tristan........take note!!!! Im getting closer!!!! :p laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 08:33 PM

Picture and a glass of wine. Thanks P fand Yaz or the evening toast.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 08:48 PM

Parker, nice job man!!!!! Can you get a little closer to your next yote for the pic? I'm having a hard time seeing it!!!

Funny Yaz.... The yotes don't scare me half as much as those darn bobcats.

Good going on the coons.. I can't catch a coon for nothing and the season is about over for them.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 09:10 PM

laugh Have never had the pleasure of catching a bobcat. My cousin who works for the DNR was telling me about it taking 3 grown men, and one of them a big ole boy (300lbs) to get a cat down to get a snare off of it. Guess it about whipped all their arses!!!! laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 09:13 PM

That would have been a site to see. I have often wondered how turning any animal loose would be let alone a bobcat. Do you guys get a lot of snares pulled off by small animals. Had one pulled off today and was just wandering what it may have been.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 09:25 PM

Originally posted by psearchery:
That would have been a site to see. I have often wondered how turning any animal loose would be let alone a bobcat. Do you guys get a lot of snares pulled off by small animals. Had one pulled off today and was just wandering what it may have been.
I do get some snares knocked over by other critters. I also catch several coons every year in the coyote snares. Most of them are in "crawl under" holes in the fences.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 09:28 PM

Thanks a lot yaz for all your help. Unfortunately my trapping ground has no fences at all so I basically just set trails coming out of the woods to the fields. Some being deer trails and some being smaller.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 09:31 PM

Catching coons in coyote sets when season is out is an adventure had to let 3 coons out last year funny thing is the bigger coon was calm and relaxed, the smaller ones were full of piss and vinegar. Good y stick and coons are easy to let out of leg traps.
Posted By: fullrut

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/22/2013 10:28 PM

Supposedely from a VERY RELIABLE source before 2015 Bobcats will have a season. Might just have to take up trapping. Just about everyone around me has trailcam pics of bobcats. Theres alot more of them than people realize.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 08:22 AM

Originally posted by fullrut:
Supposedely from a VERY RELIABLE source before 2015 Bobcats will have a season. Might just have to take up trapping. Just about everyone around me has trailcam pics of bobcats. Theres alot more of them than people realize.
There ya go Fullrut!!! That could be your new wintertime hobby! Get you away from that reality TV addiction!! laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 10:44 AM

How would Pete Rose do it?? laugh laugh
Posted By: DanIn

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 12:12 PM

Yaz......What makes this one a hybrid?

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 12:54 PM

Indiana has the law of using relaxing locks so this is the reason they are not dead when I catch them.
Parkerbow, this is true but not true,

IC 14-22-6-6
Trapping; snares
Sec. 6. (a) A person may not use a snare for the trapping of animals, except upon land owned by the user or with the written permission of the owner.
(b) A snare that permits a circumference of more than fifteen (15) inches may not be used for the trapping of animals unless:
(1) at least fifty percent (50%) of the loop of the snare is covered by water; or
(2) the snare employs a relaxing snare lock.
As added by P.L.1-1995, SEC.15. Amended by P.L.183-1995, SEC.1.

I think you miss read what the law actually is. h.h.

By the way, nice catch on the yote!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 01:32 PM

HH,

A snare with a circumference of 15"s is right at a 4 3/4" diameter loop which is way to small to be setting for coyotes. A snare for yotes would need to have a relaxing lock.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 03:03 PM

HH,

A snare with a circumference of 15"s is right at a 4 3/4" diameter loop which is way to small to be setting for coyotes. A snare for yotes would need to have a relaxing lock.
You are right, I guess I didnt read it.....Sorry to Parkerbow. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 03:44 PM

Luke and I went 0-4 last night. 2 dog proof and 2 snares. All we had time to set up. Sign everywhere - just a matter of time.
Posted By: fullrut

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 03:46 PM

Do any of you guys use corn to bait in coons? I get tons of coon pics on my corn feeders.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 04:04 PM

I used cheap dog food and spray some fish oil around to attract. Corn would work but I probably would catch more squirrels that coons.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 04:11 PM

Hey just to make sure some of the new guys read this thread written by Sticksender back in 2010. It is worth the read and very informative.

http://www.hoosierhunting.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=6;t=000404;p=0

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/23/2013 09:43 PM

Thanks for posting that link bean. That is the best read I have found on snaring.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/24/2013 10:18 AM

Speaking of Sticksender (who got all this snaring business started)......WHERE ARE YOU?????? I KNOW your snaring the chit out of 'em!!!! laugh laugh
Posted By: sticksender

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/24/2013 11:02 AM

I'm here Yaz wink

And my place is loaded with the little vermin this year too. Lucky for them I've been too busy (working and hunting out west) to do a dang thing about it.

I'm hoping to make up for it next season.

Glad to see some of you guys are keeping the pressure on 'em.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/24/2013 12:23 PM

So lets calculate. Three yotes must equal at least 7 fawns per year, over maybe a two to three square mile radius. I figure 2.5 fawns apiece, rounding down. Seriously, I wonder what the conversion rate is? Traveling together like these three, should make it reasonably easy to take a few fawns.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/24/2013 12:29 PM

I think now that the deer have the upper hand on my place, they ran the few remaining coyotes out of business!!!!! laugh I sure like catching them, but I like NOT catching them even better! wink I'm not giving up though.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/24/2013 05:30 PM

I tripped all my snares last Friday cause I didnt want to run them in the real cold temps, so today I reset and now Im back in business.....h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/25/2013 10:30 PM

I actually felt kind of sorry for this old boy. If they weren't so hard on the corn, I'd released him. OLD boar, no tail, right ear missing, left ear split and partially gone. Fighting scares on his left side of his face, blind in one eye, big hole in the right side of his face, no hair left on his back and shoulders, nose chewed up, and missing toes! Caught him in a coyote snare.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/25/2013 10:39 PM

I have a tip for the DP guys. DO NOT allow your DP traps to freeze in the ground, and not allow the coon to fight the on the chain. I thought about it yesterday. I thought I broke it loose from the frozen ground last night. Today, as I drove up, I seen a toon bouncing around in the DP. I drove past to piddle around with some other stuff for a minute. When I was walking back to get it out of the trap, I noticed a coon on top of a big bulldoze pile behind where the trap was set. He quickly popped down in the pile. When I got to the trap, the coon was gone!!!!!! The DP trap was still froze upright in the ground like I set it. It must have re-froze in the ground, and the coon couldn't pull it up. Consequently, all he done was spun around the trap, and wrung out! My mistake!!!!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/25/2013 10:40 PM

I think he has had one to many nights out on the town. My line has went cold. Did have a coon tracks today in the snow right through one of my snares. Having trouble Getting a good loop as I'm still new to snaring but getting better

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/25/2013 10:54 PM

If a coon can crawl and get his whole body through the loop, its obviously too big for coon, and also too big for coyotes. Drop em down in size some.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/26/2013 04:31 PM

I set this trail Thursday after seeing tracks and caught this nice male today........I reset down the trail about 20 yards. Tracks in the snow showed a couple other dogs circling this one. h.h.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/26/2013 06:41 PM

I think that old boy would thank ya for putting him outta his misery, Yaz. Dang!!

Good goin', HH!!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/26/2013 06:46 PM

Nice going HH. Yaz, it was hard to not feel sorry for that old coon. Appreciate the pictures.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/27/2013 12:58 PM

Yaz, That is the sadist looking animal Ive seen in a while.

A couple years ago I walked upon a yote that was eating off my bait pile. The yote had both front feet cut off, one foot was totally gone at the elbow and the other was hanging on by the skin. She was walking on bone....... needless to say I put her out of misery. She was so skinny and pitiful looking I actually felt sorry for her. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/27/2013 09:23 PM

HH,
That old coon lived a rough life. Thats for sure!!!! Nice job on another coyote! That one had nice color, and tail.

Still no coyotes at the farm. However, here at the house, I turned 7 new calves out of the barn yesterday. Wouldn't you know it. I woke up to pure pandemonium at daylight this morning. A coyote was in the lot with the cattle, and had the whole bunch panicked!!!! mad
Posted By: gundude

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/28/2013 10:03 AM

Man i hate those things almost as much as i hate moles..

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/28/2013 10:21 AM

I'm defencless against them there at home. Three rail fence with two strands of hot wire to hold the cattle/calves. Yaps can go under anywhere they want. Its either traps, or the AR propped up under the upstairs bedroom window. Don't like the idea of shooting into a bunch of panicked running cattle in the dark though. That fence is basically a visual barrier. My dog goes out with them all the time, and they never even look up at her. But let a coyote get in there messing around, and they go berzerk! I'm more afraid they'll run through the fence than a coyote getting a calf.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/28/2013 03:47 PM

[Linked Image]

Caught another male today, that 5 males out of six caught.

If you look in the left side of the picture you can see the hole in the brush where the snare was set. The set is on a mowed path that leads into a nice thicket and a bush on each side of the jump stick so the yotes wont go around. I made a jump stick for the deer and a duck point for the yote. Last time I checked the snare something had tripped it but no catch, so I reset it and caught this guy. Im down to one snare so unless I get some supplies soon I cant reset. God this is fun! h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/28/2013 04:05 PM

Nice. Keep'm coming.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/28/2013 07:33 PM

Well, I have no pics but we finally caught a coon in the DP and it was a muddy mess. I had to take it home and hose it off. 1 snare was knocked over and reset. More to come hopefully.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/28/2013 10:30 PM

I caught a muddy coon in a DP today too bean. The rest of my coon traps are under water. I moved them up, but according to the forecast, it won't do any good. Also had this female coyote in a snare. I was beginning to wonder if there any left! Picked a Baaaad night to not take any cutters or tools. If you've ever tried to unwrap a stiff coyote through a 7"x9" woven wire fence six times.....you'll not forget your tools again!!!! :rolleyes: This is a very dark, nicely furred, bushy tailed coyote. SHe completes the pair I have picked out for a taxidermy project I have been wanting to do for a while.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Here she is this fall. I caught her about 75 yards from where this picture was taken.
[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/28/2013 10:33 PM

Nice job on the coon bean. according to the weather man, its going to get sloooopy out there. I may start pulling some of my water traps tomorrow. Season is about over anyway.

HH, your whacking them now! Keep it up! It is fun...isn't it! Actually, it damned addicting!!! wink laugh DOWN TO ONE SNARE????? Come on man! The coyote trapping is about to get GOOD. They are starting to rut, and they'll be moving good in the next couple weeks. laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 09:00 AM

Congrats on the catches guys!!!!

Yaz, Jr wanted me to let you know that the tailless coon you caught other day doesn't count. He said that one was on a suicide mission to end his misery... eek :p

Tristan got his first "rat" yesterday. Hopefully a few more are to come before the end of the season. The one pond where we hunt is loaded with them.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 09:46 AM

Yaz Jr... eek Stop it before it hatches!!

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 10:23 AM

Originally posted by Weedhopper:
Yaz Jr... eek Stop it before it hatches!!
NOBODY yanked yer chain! laugh

Tell Jr. We's tied on coons....and the clock is ticking!!!!!! laugh laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 10:38 AM

Nice catches and nice pictures guys!

Yaz, I know the feeling on unwinding caught yotes. Look in the picture you can see the male wrapped up around the small tree, I couldnt get the snare loose enough to unwind so I had to saw off the tree on both sides of the snare! Dont worry, I order a 100 snares last night. I sure hope to snare a few females soon. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 07:37 PM

Now we're talking! Used a big white rock for a scent post at my mineral lick where I have caught coyotes on my trail cam. Haven't put any scent on it for over a week. He couldn't stand walking by and not lifting his leg on it!!!! That's what he gets for whizzing in my mineral lick and rolling it it earlier this summer!!!! laugh

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 07:39 PM

nice one!! big boy.

We had some snares knocked over today.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 07:50 PM

Good looking coat on that one, bro!
Posted By: BREW...

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 07:54 PM

Good looking coat on that one, bro!
+1....Great pic also!!! cool

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 08:27 PM

Man. you guys have been on it in the last day. Nice going. I'm thinking this might be the only civil thread in the next few days.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/29/2013 08:41 PM

I'm thinking this might be the only civil thread in the next few days.
Not if Tristan catches more coons than me it won't be so civil!!!!! :p laugh laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/30/2013 12:03 AM

Pretty looking dog. Good catch. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/30/2013 06:59 PM

Nice going Yaz. That big boy won't eat any more fawns.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/31/2013 07:46 AM

Today is the day...Yaz or Tristan who will come out on top?

I only ended up with 14 coon this year. I missed the last 11 days of season due to family obligations which included a trip to Kansas.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/31/2013 01:17 PM

Anyone ever build the muskrat float sets with the small leg traps? if so had much luck w em? Will have plenty of time to build em for next season.
Posted By: gundude

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/31/2013 05:03 PM

This thread is actually worth reading..
Posted By: HoosierNavy29

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/31/2013 05:48 PM

Originally posted by gundude:
This thread is actually worth reading..
+1 laugh
Posted By: whitetaildave24

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/31/2013 07:17 PM

I'm not a trapper at all, but I love reading this thread that pops up every year. Actually has me kind of interested in taking it up.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/31/2013 07:41 PM

I've finally got a pair of sets "working" for me now. This one is in a dirt hole set 20' from the scent post I had the male in two days ago. She was in heat, so it'll have another trap in it tomorrow after it freezes up good tonight. I didn't see any sense in putting a trap in tonight, only to freeze solid to the ground! With her scent in there, and being in heat, this set should draw males in for the next week or 10 days! If they won't stick their heads in a hole in a fence, guess I'll just have to keep doing it the hard way!!!

[Linked Image]

BTW- No coons for me in the last two or three days. Think I ended up with 7. I wonder how Tristan did?????? cool
Posted By: jcw-hoyt

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/31/2013 08:18 PM

Tristan and his dad are probably out running the roads picking up road kill. They dont want to lose to you Yaz.

Re: So it begins.................. - 01/31/2013 09:13 PM

Yaz, Nice catch! My snares were empty today with a couple tripped. With all the rain and nasty weather I figured yotes wouldnt be moving too good. Out of the six Ive got so far only 1 was a female. Oh well, maybe tomorrow will be a better day. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 06:58 AM

[b] I'm thinking this might be the only civil thread in the next few days.
Not if Tristan catches more coons than me it won't be so civil!!!!! :p laugh [/b]
Well Yaz, I dunno how to break it to ya other than JR. KICKED YER ARSE!!!! :p laugh He said now he's going to catch up with you on the yotes. I told him he may just wanna give up now... laugh

Tuesday's catch....

[Linked Image]

Wednesday's catch....

[Linked Image]

Had to throw in this grinner pic from Tuesday also. Biggest one I've ever seen.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 07:24 AM

WOW, good job Tristan....and dad!!!

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 09:04 AM

Tristan,

Congrats on a fine trapping season. Thats a good catch for only trapping the last month of the season, which is typically the toughest part of the year to catch coons. Keep after the coyotes, and I'm looking forward to seeing your first coyote catch!!!! I'll not be deer hunting all next fall, just to be sure this does NOT happen again. I will not loose next year!!!!! laugh
BTW- That's a trophy grinner. He'd look good on the fireplace mantle!!!!!! :p

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 09:15 AM

Way to go Tristan! cool I agree, that possum needs to be mounted! wink

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 09:19 AM

Good season tristan. I will admitt you beat me buddy. Ended up with four coon and two grinners. One of the grinners is tanned and on my wall now.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 10:01 AM

Yaz, I'm really hoping he catches a yap. I'm hoping to see his reaction if he does when he walks up on it... laugh ... Better be on yer toes next fall. His birthday is in a few days and I think he wants more DPs to expand his line... eek laugh

Weedy, that grinner has been delivered to a very special someone. Thing is, he doesn't know it yet.

Oh P.S. Yaz.... I'd avoiding using the heater in your truck if I were you... laugh laugh laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 10:07 AM

Way to show us how to do it Tristan. Also, good job dad on mentoring him to be a great outdoorsman.

Gotta love those DP's. We will be getting more as well.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 10:31 AM

Good on you Tristan! Beating Yaz at any kind of trapping is an accomplishment for sure! Congrats! h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 08:19 PM

Well.....I bounced back good after the thrashing Tristan gave me on the coons! laugh

Peek-A-Boooo......my favorite double corner finally produced with this little female.
[Linked Image]

This set is in a DEEP ravine, with a bad 4' wash under the corner of the fence. I had to fill in the hole where it washed with a section of old fence to get them funneled where I needed them to be. Got this big male in it. Tracks indicated 5 coyotes hunted through the farm. 3 left. When I pulled back the lane at 4:00 this afternoon, and seen fresh tracks, I got out and looked them over. I knew they were not old at all. As you can see the female had only been in the snare maybe 15 to 20 minutes, as she did not have anything tore up yet. The male had jumped over the fence, and was dead, but still very warm when I got to it. They had moved through in the middle of the afternoon. Wish I had some time to track down the others before dark, as I wouldn't have been too far behind them. Been a GOOD week. They are really on the move. Tomorrow, JCW-hoyt and I are heading to the neighbors farm south about a mile to make some sets in the morning.

Really big male. Didn't weigh him, but close to 40lbs.
[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 08:36 PM

Tristan's got a heck of a future running with the "big dog" trappers on here. Yaz, nice job stacking them up.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 08:46 PM

Tristan's got a heck of a future running with the "big dog" trappers on here.
Tristan is of age that I still think I can save him, and get him trained right! Despite his old man!!!! :p laugh Might need Weedy's assistance with that one though! wink

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 08:52 PM

Awesome stuff Yaz!

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 08:53 PM

Yaz once again you are the coyote master. Checked my traps and snares today had yote tracks around two of my dirt hole sets. Refreshed them all and set a couple new ones. Hopefully tomorow pays off.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 09:01 PM

[b] Tristan's got a heck of a future running with the "big dog" trappers on here.
Tristan is of age that I still think I can save him, and get him trained right! Despite his old man!!!! :p laugh Might need Weedy's assistance with that one though! wink [/b]
Tristan just needs to keep the faith....while his old man slurps ice cream... cool

Good going young man!!

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 09:14 PM

Yaz once again you are the coyote master. Checked my traps and snares today had yote tracks around two of my dirt hole sets. Refreshed them all and set a couple new ones. Hopefully tomorow pays off.
PSE, keep at it. I wish I had taken pictures before the snow comes in tonight. Out of the remaining 3 coyotes that came through, none left through a hole in a fence. They either jumped, or squeezed through the woven wire. Two approached holes with snares in them, and turned! These were well hidden snares that have produced good in the past, and have been in there, and not touched by me for over a month. Are they learning?????

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 10:09 PM

Good catch Yaz! Im hoping tomorrow my snares will have a critter or two. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/01/2013 11:40 PM

I could kick myself in my own arse. I was in a hurry again today checking my snare line after I got off work cause the wife wanted to run to town and get groceries. I forgot my camera and my cell phone. I caught a huge bobcat again today in a snare and probaby not 20 yards away had a nice female yote. I am still cleaning the crap out of my pants after releasing that bobcat. It was not happy being in a snare and then seeing me. I had to use my catch pole and slip it over the cats head and then get brave enough to snip the cable of the snare. After I snipped the cable and slipped the catch pole off its head I slowly backed up. That sucker lunged at me trying to scare me, Well it worked cause I took off like a screaming cheerleader. It did not realize it was free at first and then just stood there. Finally it trotted off. I would have loved to have had a close up pick of that huge cat when it was hissing and growling at me. Can't wait when there is a season on them. This was the 4th one I have caught in the last 2 years. Yes I know... No pics it did not happen. Sorry fellas. I am alot of things but I don't lie.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 08:47 AM

No bobcats in my area or least Ive never seen one or any tracks of one. Waiting on my friends 11 year old grandson to show up and then run snares. Im hoping we have a live yote in a snare today.......lol h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 11:15 AM

Tristan just needs to keep the faith....while his old man slurps ice cream... cool

Good going young man!!
Who yanked yer chain OLD timer????... Too cold fer the cream anyway. :p

Yaz, nice catches!!! That one is a biggun for sure.

Parker, you are a brave man for letting those cats loose on your own.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 12:37 PM

Parker, That release sounds like it was have made a great video.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 01:51 PM

Snares were empty today but we had a good time checking them. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 02:43 PM

Caught another female today and I remembered to take my phone with me and the wife wasn't making me be in a hurry. smile This is number 8 this year. They seem to be moving now with the frigid temps and snow. Also this is their breeding time.
[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 02:48 PM

She doesn't look happy...

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 05:00 PM

Nice going PB on the last couple of catches....even though we didn't get to see the kitty cat!!!! That's ok...I now understand this getting old stuff too. I can't remember anything any more either!!! laugh I had to go clear back to my BIL's house last night just to get a .22 bullet for my pistol last night. :rolleyes: laugh

JCW-Hoyt on here and myself got 5 more snares set on the neighbors this morning. We seen two yaps, and counted 5 sets of fresh tracks in the snow. He should have a couple over there here in a couple days.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 05:21 PM

Nice catch ParkerBow! Didnt see any tracks today in the fresh snow. Not sure how many dogs are in my area but Im guessing there is more than the 6 Ive caught. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 06:58 PM

Great Pic Parker.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/02/2013 10:06 PM

I'm itching to get back out there. Birthday festivities this weekend and next my sons turning 6. After that gonna got make a few coyote and beaver sets with my freshly turned 6 yr old in tow. He's been asking to go for a few weeks now. He and his Crickett 22 will be in tow so hopefully I can post some pics in a few weeks!

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/04/2013 01:07 PM

Just got back from running snares and no yotes or tracks in the snow. I rode all around my property looking for tracks and none to be found.

Im going to give it another week or so and then pull my snares. Might wait until I see some tracks and then set. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/04/2013 02:25 PM

Sounds like you got all of your "locals". Give it some time, and new ones will move in.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/04/2013 02:46 PM

anyone tan their own hides? right now I have three beavers, a coyote, 2 coons and a opossum. gonna make my son a hat outta the coons and coyote found templates online. Make 2 decorative hoops with the beavers hopefully catch another beaver and make two pillows and just tan the opposum for my son to have. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or secrets to tanning these.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/04/2013 03:12 PM

Trad,

I'd really look at sending them off. "garment quality" tans are hard to achieve with most home tannning solutions. I've been around tanning for 30 years, and to tan something to mount, or for a rug are one thing, but its just tough to do for making clothing. For the stuff you want to make something out of (hat, pillows), I'd send to K&K in Michigan. For the others get a tanning kit and do that yourself. Maybe wtlhaven can chime in.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/04/2013 03:22 PM

Thanks for the info. will look into that

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/04/2013 04:24 PM

Trad, for the tanning kit, you might look up Van Dyke's taxidermy, vandykestaxidermy.com. You might be able to find it cheaper but I use Van Dyke's for various taxidermy supplies and have always been happy with the supplies received. Or, you might see what Hoosier Trapper Supply might have also.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/04/2013 09:15 PM

Well, two sets hit, and they danced on my frozen pans. I just made these two sets Saturday. To add insult, they scattered by bean chaff backings, and stole the bait!!! Probably wizzed on em too when they finished!!! laugh You can see the paw print right dead center of the pan in the middle of the picture!!! :rolleyes:

The good thing, they never suspected a thing, and didn't find or dig the traps. At dark tonight, they was wailing everywhere.......I'll be drying and re-making them in tomorrow, and hope the weather warms a little.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/04/2013 10:55 PM

LOL, the glove has been thrown down! h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/06/2013 06:01 PM

Ran snares today and caught this grinner in a set where Ive caught two yotes. Another guy was with me and he said this possum was the biggest he had ever seen and I have to admit I dont believe Ive ever seen one bigger! This guy had to weight 12-14 lbs or more and he had great fur. Yaz, you could have sold him for 10.00 or more. LOL Wasnt what I wanted but better than nothing in my snares. I did see fresh tracks of a couple yotes. Maybe tomorrow one will be waiting on me. h.h.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/06/2013 07:28 PM

Them grinners are nassy thangs.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/06/2013 07:45 PM

Trying to top Tristan for big possum of the year???? laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/07/2013 08:51 AM

That's a big ole grinner HH.

Tristan caught his first red fox yesterday in one of his coyote sets. Unfortunately for the fox, the yotes found her before we got there to let her go. Tristan came to the house and told me the one set had a leg in it. I went back with him and sure enough there was a fox's right front leg including the shoulder still in the trap. They literally ripped it out. We ended up finding her about 15 yds away with the leg gone of course, tail stripped clean, and tore up in the back end in front of her rear quarters where they must have been tugging on her. Very sickening that happened. Don't see too many reds anymore and the fact that it was a female is even worse. mad

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/07/2013 11:01 AM

That stinks Steve!!! We have very few red fox, and no grey foxes left any more. We turn em loose when they are accidentally caught too. As a matter of fact, Dad pulled all his coyote traps and snares at the North farm, because a pair of reds had moved in are staying around.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/07/2013 11:18 AM

Bummer on the red! I very seldom see any reds and its been years since Ive seen a grey. A woman stop by yesterday and ask if I had seen her little dog that was missing. She was pretty upset and I didnt have the heart to tell her the yotes probably got it. I told her I'd keep my eyes open and let her know if I see it. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/07/2013 02:08 PM

Hate to hear that Steve. I've seen a trail cam video of that very same thing, a yote attacking a fox in a trap. No good rotten varmints.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/07/2013 06:47 PM

Hate to hear that about the red fox. Unfortunately that is part of trapping. If a person traps, things like that are gonna happen. I have caught a few domestic dogs before. Most have came out pretty well but some not so well. A person is gonna catch a non target animal every once in a while, those things happen. I bet I caught at least 6 rabbits this year in conis and leg hold traps and most were dead tore up by yotes.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/10/2013 06:47 PM

Its quiet, very quiet. Are the yotes, kicking you'alls rear ends?

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/10/2013 08:16 PM

Well, I've never tried trapping yotes yet, still learning how to catch coon. lol. But I'm hoping these guys are too busy skinning and fleshing yotes to be on the internet.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/10/2013 11:10 PM

Snares have been empty except for the grinner last week which is good thing but also a bad thing. Im going to give another week -10 days and then pull my snares. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/10/2013 11:18 PM

Here is what I am facing. Had 3 sets dug in varying degrees today. There is a pair that has moved in that is VERY educated to dirthole sets, and snares! I pulled all 6 of my sets out today. Gonna re-boil, and wax traps this week. I am going to go set up some bean chaff, hay, and scent post sets this week without traps. I'll let them get comfortable around the new sets for a while before I stick a trap in. I caught a female that had been digging up my sets late in February this way. I'll leave the snares just in case a new one comes through.
Like HH said a few posts back......"the gloves have come off" laugh
How in the world do they do this?????? Trap dug out of the bed,flipped over at the end of the chain, and not tripped!!!!

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/11/2013 08:19 AM

Wash yer feet! laugh
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/11/2013 09:10 AM

Had that problem set another trap at the highest spot near the set even if its 15 or 20 ft away set two at set I found out coyotes cant count count past 2

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/11/2013 09:25 AM

Wash yer feet! laugh
I did Saturday morning!!! :rolleyes: I have the blisters to show for it!!! eek

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/11/2013 09:49 AM

Betcha won't do that again.... laugh
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/12/2013 01:57 AM

Once a 'yote has been snapped, they can be a pain to catch.....Ive doubled up and set two traps with the second being back a tad further than the first one....

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/12/2013 09:10 PM

Anyone ever made the decorative hoops with beaver pelts?

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/14/2013 09:21 PM

Alright, I pulled all traps out, and let it "cool off" a little. With the chance of snow over night, and Saturday, I wanted to get them back in the ground so I wouldn't leave any tracks or sign I've been there. I put out red fox gland lure, and urine. I wanted a totally different smell out there. I did NOT put out any food based lures. I also did not make a dirt hole set. I also got dirt directly out of the field early this week, and dried it out myself. I have been getting out from under a barn floor as it was already bone dry. The dirt may have had a "barn odor" to it and could have been tipping them off. Let the Chess match begin!!! cool

I made this scent post in a cow trail at the crest of a hill overlooking a big bottom. They to come down the trail and scan the bottom right here. The burnt stump had a hole in it. So, I put some gland lure in the hole, and squirted some urine on it. Blended the trap the best I could to one side of the trail, and left a very small subtle step stick to guide their foot.

[Linked Image]

This set is bean chaff. One large pile and one smaller pile, with a gap between the two and in the direction of travel. There is a trap on the left side between the two piles with a corn cob as a step stick. The right side I "V'd" so simulate a dirt hole and a mouse dig. The trap actually sits 14" from the dig, and outside off one end of the "V". Thoughts are as they circle looking things over before they get close, it will nab them. The only lure is a fox urine in the middle of the big pile, with a little canine gland lure. The pile is big enough that they will have to circle, and get really close if they want to stick their noses on top where the pure is at. It all looks good on paper! laugh
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/14/2013 09:27 PM

Good luck Yaz. I like the looks of it

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/14/2013 09:31 PM

Wow! Something will be caught there...

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/14/2013 09:53 PM

Wow! Something will be caught there...
It took and hour and a half to get three traps hid......probably have a grinner or Pepi LaPew tomorrow!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/14/2013 10:42 PM

Good looking sets......dont you love it when a grinner messes up your setup..lol

my snares have been empty for the last couple weeks. no snow here to check for tracks so might pull snares this Sat. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/15/2013 09:33 AM

My snares have been lonely too HH. I figured if I caught 10 this year I'd be lucky. Between trapping and the one I shot with my bow, that makes 7 or 8 now. I know there are a couple pair around, but we have not had one single problem with coyotes in the calves this year. I will probably scale back here in a couple of weeks, and just leave some snares guarding the barn lots where the calves are at. I would like to "fool" that trap digger before I retire for the year though. I don't need one out there training the others. But it appears they are back to manageable levels again.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/15/2013 09:52 AM

Heck, I'd circle that set and get caught! Nice job I think I'll save these pics for future reference.
Posted By: Parrot Head

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/15/2013 10:29 AM

YOu should put a trail camera around it to see what they are doing.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/15/2013 10:49 AM

Originally posted by Parrot Head:
YOu should put a trail camera around it to see what they are doing.
I had a trail cam on the first couple of sets I had. I made them close to the corner of the field just so I could watch them. I had a camera on a corner post facing the trap locations, and the cameras spooked them. This set is out in the middle of the field, and I'm afraid to drive a post and put a cam on it.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/15/2013 01:38 PM

My snares have been lonely too HH. I figured if I caught 10 this year I'd be lucky. Between trapping and the one I shot with my bow, that makes 7 or 8 now. I know there are a couple pair around, but we have not had one single problem with coyotes in the calves this year. I will probably scale back here in a couple of weeks, and just leave some snares guarding the barn lots where the calves are at. I would like to "fool" that trap digger before I retire for the year though. I don't need one out there training the others. But it appears they are back to manageable levels again.
Yaz, you are doing better than I am. I shot one in bow, one in gun and snared 4. My neighbor told me he shot 4 this year. Im sure there are more but I will never catch them all. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/16/2013 01:10 PM

Thanks Yaz for some cool setup ideas. It has been slow but i scored 2 yotes this morning in snares. A deer had been hit not 50 yards from the house last week and i drug it over to one of my best snare areas and had a male and a female waiting for me this morning. I post a dispatched pic of them later.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/16/2013 07:23 PM

I did get some video at the old set location. I put up three vids, the first one is in the daylight, so you can see the two sets. The rock is a scent post, with the trap to the left of the rock, and slightly toward the camera. The dark spot further back is a dirt hole set.
The hole to the bottom right is my mineral lick. Just click on the pictures for the video.

[Linked Image]

There is a horse weed barely visible to the left of the rock. I put long distance call lure on it. The rock had gland lure and urine. He stepped all over the trap that was frozen solid.
[Linked Image]
I had pulled the traps at these sets, but they could still smell the lures after two weeks. Wouldn't you know it...he stepped RIGHT where the trap was located!
[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/16/2013 07:47 PM

So........The new bean chaff set is left of where the videos are by about 50 yards. My digger has struck again, but this time, he left his calling card. Its Wile E. Red Fox!!!!! He got one trap Thursday night, and the other one last night. He got the trap to snap last night. I have my pan tension set 3 to 3.5lbs to keep coons, possums, skunks, and hopefully fox from getting caught in my traps. It is a little heavy, but if a coyote is fooled, and puts his weight on the pan, it will get them.

Notice Mr. Red's gift to me above the trap??? laugh I drove a T post in the ground, and wired a camera to it to see if he comes back to play tonight!
[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/16/2013 08:21 PM

Here is a picture of my snared double from this morning. The male was already dead. This is #9 and #10 of the year. Hope i am helping the deer and turkey population.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/16/2013 08:42 PM

Nice job PB. I can tell you for a FACT, you are helping your deer and turkeys. My deer sightings went WAY up this year after the yaps were gone. Catch mo coons next year to really help your turkeys. Coons, grinners, and skunks kill more turkeys by destroying the nests, than the coyotes do catching the adults. You should continue to catch coyotes on that deer carcass. I lost a calf two weeks ago, and it has become "bait". It has not been touched in over a week and a 1/2 now. I don't know if the coyotes have just not found it, or they are just not around.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 10:42 AM

Yaz, You videos dont play, says they were removed? **** man, how can I enjoy my morning coffee without entertainment? LOL On my 127 acres its hard to narrow down the runs of yotes since most of the ground is in CRP and the rest is woods and thickets. The yotes travel in zig-sag patterns most of the time. My fences are down in most places so its hard to set holes.

Nice catch ParkerBow! As Yaz already said you are definitely helping your game population. Keep up the good work!

Since two housing additions went in next to me 10 years ago I have a ferrel cat problem too. Ive caught several in bucket sets and a few in the barn. When I see a rabbit with the head eaten off I set the barn trap with KFC bones and in a day or two the will be a cat in the trap.

Im pulling my snares today since its been almost two weeks for me to catch something. I have some things to do and dont have time to run them everyday. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 12:45 PM

HH, vids should be there. Actually, have a couple really entertaining ones, where she is caught in the act digging up the traps! I'll check it out tonight when i get in for the evening

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 05:08 PM

Caught another female last night on a trail leading to the deer carcass.I got a full show from her. She seen me and started barking and then went into some full blown howls. Really awe4some to be 10 feet away and hearing her howl.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 05:13 PM

The videoes worked for me. Pretty cool watching the yote working around the set.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 08:03 PM

What Amish format are you using, Yaz?? eek

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 08:15 PM

I figured you had yourself a coyote "gold mine" PB!!! You'll catch every one around now! The more it gets to stinking, the more will come!!! Keep catching them!!!!! BTW- After all these years, no matter how many times they bark and howl at me as I walk up on them.......It still makes the hair stand up on the back of my neck!! eek

Weedy, you need to get rid of that 1970's DOS main frame an buy a real computer!!!!!! Its called a "PC", or Mac. Check it out!!!! :p laugh The vid's are in Windows Movie viewer (WMV) format. DOn't know that that makes a difference once they are on Photobucket though.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 08:30 PM

Here are a couple vid's of the culprit caught in the act of digging up my dirt hole. Pay particular attention at the end of the second video where she looks at the camera, squats and wizzes on the set, and then dog walks away..........she done that on purpose, knowing I'd see it!!!!! laugh

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 08:37 PM

Been at the show all weekend. Nice to come home and see some pictures and success!

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 08:52 PM

Been at the show all weekend. Nice to come home and see some pictures and success!
The only success I had this weekend was removing a pissed off coon from the engine compartment of my truck this morning without getting bit!!!! He decided that was a good place to hide after I released him out of one of my sets this morning!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/17/2013 09:16 PM

I saw Tristan this weekend. He must have missed one! laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/18/2013 12:32 AM

My snares were empty again today so I pulled them. Gonna wait a bit and then reset them.

Got the videos to work by using Explorer instead of FireFox. All I can say is you guys down south must be loaded with yotes! Keep after them! h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/18/2013 05:15 PM

Yet another male yote was waiting for me again today. Does not seem like I am making any headway on these varmits. This was a big male and a different strain of yote. It had a big block head and shorter snout then the regular yotes. I usually catch a few of this type evey year.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/18/2013 07:33 PM

He's a long legged sucker!!! Keep gettin' while the gettin' is good PB. Your doing GOOD!!! Something else I noticed....he's got BIG front feet. Actually bigger than normal for a large coyote. Might have some dog in his genetics, which might explain the blocky head.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/18/2013 07:34 PM

Good Job PB, keep after'em!

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/18/2013 08:44 PM

These Blocky headed short snouted yotes have a lot of red on them. The pic was taken with my cell phone so the red does not show up like it should. There must be truckloads of these suckers around here. These are all caught on my 33 acres mind ya. I heard yotes are selling pretty good this year. A buddy of mine went to a sale the other day and they were bringing 25.00 a piece. I have shipping all my fur to NAFA this year just to say I done it once. I need money for more cable to make snares. smile

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/18/2013 09:58 PM

Could it be that roadkill deer are the best of all baits? Nice going.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/19/2013 06:44 PM

Could it be that roadkill deer are the best of all baits? Nice going.
BINGO!!!!!! wink

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/19/2013 09:46 PM

PB...you da man! Keep after them! h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 03:18 PM

Ok.....I'm playing dirty now!!! laugh They won't come to the bean chaff set any more. I t may be because I drove a post 15' away, and put a camera on it. So, I noticed she still liked to dig in the old dirthole set, even though there is nothing there. I'm playing her game, and started digging too! Made a "step down" dirthole. Its basically a large dirthole with a cutout in the dirt about 5" deep in front of the hole. It forces them to step into it if they want to see in the hole. It puts their foot right where you want it, and they really cant get at the trap to dig it up. I have NOT put a trap in the set, and I have NOT added any lure or scent of any kind to alert them. They are naturally coming there anyway. I HAVE been feeding her good size chunks of meat. And, as you can see, she is stepping RIGHT where I want, and no digging. I have to ride right by there every night to feed. I'll dig a little every night, to loosen up the dirt in front of the hole, and keep piling it on the sides so she HAS to approach from the front. I'll also keep feeding her. When the weather gets right to stick a trap in there, I will. I will put the camera back on this set to see what happens.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 04:39 PM

Make a post set using the camera post

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 05:35 PM

Yaz, After all the game time you got into this set up, I hope you dont end up with a grinner....lol h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 08:10 PM

Another one bites the dust on a trail set coming or going from the deer carcass. This male was waiting for me when I got off work today. This is 5 since Saturday.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 08:15 PM

I am finally able to put up a couple pics of this years catches so far. This coyote was caught today in a snare that was actually set on a steep run down to the creek.
[Linked Image]

This next coyote was caught last wednesday in a urine post set. this was our first coyote that we have ever caught as being this is our first year trapping.
[Linked Image]

We also ended up the other seasons with four coons and two grinners.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 08:23 PM

Great job PSE. Once you catch one you are hooked. Patience is alot of it too. There will be a week or two go by and nothing, then all of a sudden you got one or two. Congrats.. They are fun to skin too aren't they? I am getting pretty good at skinning and fleshing them stinky things.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 08:37 PM

Thanks parker. First of all man you know how to hammer the yotes. I was beginning to give up as we have had them out all season and couldn't seal the deal but have learned a lot to and am Gettibg better. Stinky is a understatement they smell horrible. We are going to mount the darker one so who was frozen whole. The other one still not sure about. I love the red coat on it.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 09:19 PM

Good catches guys! Maybe I'll look for a roadkill and set snares again. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 10:37 PM

Yaz, After all the game time you got into this set up, I hope you dont end up with a grinner....lol h.h.
I can't believe you just done that to me....WTH? laugh Well, plans "A", and plan "B" hasn't worked. After plan "C"............I'm out of plans! It appears there is only the one pair around now. I'm sure they have set up shop for having pups somewhere close, and have the rest ran out. If I could get her caught, I'm packing it in. Be a bonus to get it on the camera.

Your flat wearing them out PB!

Nice job PSE, I assume that request is no longer needed! wink

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 10:45 PM

Nope think I'm good thanks man. I must say this stuff is addicting. Also do you guys usually only get one yote out of a snare? I was thinking you could reuse them but think I'm wrong after today. It was mangled up pretty bad

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/20/2013 11:10 PM

Nope think I'm good thanks man. I must say this stuff is addicting. Also do you guys usually only get one yote out of a snare? I was thinking you could reuse them but think I'm wrong after today. It was mangled up pretty bad
REALLY inspect a snare if you think its reusable. The slightest kink or bend will bite you in the butt when a coyote steps in, and the snare hangs up. If even one strand of wire in the snare is broke, put a new one in. The ONLY time I have felt good about reusing one was when a caught tote jumped over the fence, and there was no struggle. The downside is....the scent of the caught yote will remain on the snare for some time, causing the next one through to stop and smell it, instead of going on through.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/21/2013 07:43 AM

Congrats PSE. You've joined a very good group of guys on here with yote catches. Gonna have to come up with some catchy elite name for this group of dog slayers.
Posted By: jkd

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/21/2013 09:33 AM

What Yaz said, +1...

Good job PSE and Parker! Parker, that big male looks like a german shepard... that thing is huge!

Got me motivated to try some sets inside the woods, as the snares I've put out on outlying fence rows haven't been productive yet.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/21/2013 07:43 PM

Here she is on the pile of bean chaff last night. WInd was coming from the west, which is left to right in the video. I have NOT been close to the set for two weeks. I baited it up twice with very small amounts of fox gland lure and urine. I have no friggin' idea what she smells, or sees about the set to make her that spooky. Other than it has had a couple traps that she dug up over two weeks ago. When she left, she went toward the step down set that I have been feeding her out of. She was on it last night also. i moved the camera back to that one. If she continues, I will set a trap Saturday.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/21/2013 07:46 PM

That says it all. Great video.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/21/2013 08:01 PM

Dave, I doubt I catch her. She has my number, and knows too much. BUT....I gotta try! laugh At least I'm learning from the vid's. Plan D........trip wires and claymores!!!! eek laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/21/2013 08:14 PM

LOL. I imagine you might then have a nice pond in your pasture!

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/21/2013 08:37 PM

Plan D sounds like a winner!! Blow that Biotch up.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/21/2013 11:03 PM

Yaz, Im not a trapper by any means but why not set 4 traps at 12. 3. 6 and 9 oclock around the set you have now, staggering them. When she comes in and circles maybe she step in one. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/22/2013 10:13 AM

Yaz, Im not a trapper by any means but why not set 4 traps at 12. 3. 6 and 9 oclock around the set you have now, staggering them. When she comes in and circles maybe she step in one. h.h.
It sounds like it would work HH, but I did have TWO traps on this set, and she found them both. When they are looking for traps, you can not hide a trap good enough that they will not find them. And just to randomly set traps around a set only makes them even more spooky. I know there are hundreds of thousands of them caught every year. But here is what makes me scratch my head. That we can get a coyote that can go anywhere it wants to in thousands of acres of property, and still be able to make it step on one 2" square metal pan buried under the dirt. That kind of puts it in perspective! eek laugh Coyotes like the one I'm playing with are the reason they will always be here.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/22/2013 12:20 PM

Do you think she smells you or the traps? I know my dogs are prone to check out fresh dirt or any kind of dig.

Good luck and maybe you will get lucky and she will become road kill....lol h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/22/2013 03:49 PM

Yaz,
This is who you are dealing with.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/22/2013 08:05 PM

laugh laugh laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/23/2013 08:29 PM

Here is another demon spawn fawn killer that I snared close to the deer carcass last night. This was a female. That will be a few less pups this spring. This is 6 since last saturday around this carcass. They still have nice fur for this time of year.

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/23/2013 08:37 PM

Quite a feat in the last week. That carcass is like gold.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/24/2013 12:43 PM

Good catch! Females are definitely what you want to catch! Females have an average of 6 pups a year so every one you take out is greatly reducing their population in your area! h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 02/25/2013 12:42 PM

laugh Thats a GOOD catch PB. You wait and see how many more fawns you see in your hunting spot next year!!!! You'll be amazed.....and you'll be buying MORE snares!!!! laugh

I have suspended setting any more traps till the ground firms up some. Its a soaking, sloppy mess! No way I could get a trap buried well enough to catch one right now. Got a few snares out still. No sign or tracks of the digger or any others for several days now.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/01/2013 09:48 PM

Well....sometimes is pays to be forgetful and lazy. laugh I had left the one trap in the set where the female had dug me several times. Its been in there for over three weeks. This is the set where she was on the video scared to death of it. Never put any bait, or scents in after the initial set. I drove by there every day, and kept adding bait in another set without a trap about 40 yards away. I kept forgetting my puller, and just about forgot about the trap. Tonight, I didn't get the feeding started till way after dark. I rode the 4 wheeler back with just a bucket of feed, as I have not had any action for weeks. Matter of fact, they hadn't gotten the bait for over a week. I seen eyes, and thought maybe it was just a deer. Low and behold.........MEET THE DIGGER!!!!!

[Linked Image]

Now, this is where it gets interesting.......Fed the bulls, went back to the truck at the house, and got the pistol. Had 3 shells in the mag...no problem. As I got close, I seen a coyote running south away from the set! I was TICKED. I just knew it pulled out! I got there and she was still there. It was another coyote. So, I dispatched her, and just by chance thought I'd go look at a snare about 100 yards away, that I had just looked at 10 minutes earlier. And look what I found!!!!
Ms. Digger's partner in crime!!! Yep, he ran right to the hole with a snare in it. He was carrying the mail when he hit the hole, as I got him by the hips!
[Linked Image]

Now, this is where it gets stupid, on my part. This is a 8' deep wash with steep sides. So, I reach over the fence and dispatch him. Lay the pistol on the 4 wheeler, and jump the fence and cut the snare. As I'm dragging him up the muddy steep sides of the wash by the snare, I feel sudden resistance. Yep, he's on his feet, pulling me back down bank!!!! eek Dumbass, hard headed me took another wrap on the snare, so it was ON, and off down the creek we went! Without going into the gory details, it was 10 minutes of him leading me down the creek, and me leading him and avoiding his attempts to eat my knee caps off. I was NOT going to let him go. He finally got us to a point where I could grab a stout enough subdual apparatus (big azz club). I'm getting too old for this crap!!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/01/2013 10:06 PM

LMAO!! laugh laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/01/2013 10:19 PM

Haha..... oh to have that filmed!!! Haha

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/01/2013 10:41 PM

Awesome catches Yaz. It is easy to forget about a trap or an earth anchor after moving and running different sets. I have dispatched them before too with a 22 to the head, cut them from the snare and carry them to the 4 wheeler and then have them let out a growl and not be dead. talk about whizzing down your leg.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/02/2013 12:16 AM

Yaz.....now that is funny stuff! LOL h.h.
Posted By: HoosierNavy29

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/02/2013 08:26 AM

I am sorry old timer but that is funny right there, haha, glad your knee caps weren't ate off and you got two you were after

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/02/2013 10:04 AM

Thats awesome....NEVER give up!!! Make sure to let us know how much you get out of that wiley rascal.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/02/2013 10:16 PM

Haymaker,

Both of those coyotes still had very good fur for this time of year. We skinned them, and stuck them in the freezer. Since I maintain a taxidermy license, we are going to hold them to next year. Prices SHOULD be very good next year also.

I remade the set today, and stuck in a trap in the hole I was baiting them in, since the weather is suppose to be decent next week. Those were my last two clean traps, so if they make a catch pretty quick here, I'll be done, and just leave a few snares guarding the barn lots where the calves are at.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/02/2013 10:28 PM

Nice going guys. Nothing like you'all finishing strong. I'm sure going to miss this thread. Yaz, you could use a holster for next season!

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/02/2013 11:00 PM

Dave, I keep my .22 in a plastic box on the 4 wheeler. Its a Ruger MKII target. Its too dang long to carry comfortable. I will have a pocket pistol for this business next year. It wouldn't have mattered in that fiasco anyway. I didn't really tell the REST of the story. I HAD 3 shells. I hit the fence, and missed with the last one! :rolleyes: laugh Out of bullets, so it wouldn't have mattered!!!

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/03/2013 07:30 AM

laugh laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/03/2013 08:01 AM

Yo Yaz, I have a MKII Target also, with an Aimpoint RedDot scope..... and JUST ordered this molded holster for it!

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=876514
Which I will probably set it up with it's own belt, that would be worn more around the hip area, rather than waist area.

I can let ya know how it works out, if you might be interested...

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/03/2013 08:08 AM

Oh yeah, and I just ordered these for it too laugh

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/set-of-2-guide-gear-22-cal-auto-reset-targets.aspx?a=798824

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/03/2013 10:58 AM

Thanks Bo. Ive been looking at those. Also been looking at the leather holster for it that has the pouch for an extra mag. It appears one like that is what I need!!! My Ruger is not scoped.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/03/2013 11:07 AM

I have an extra mag too... and even with my old holster, I had to just stick the 2nd mag in my back pocket. That will remain the same for me! frown

You probably saw it, but this one is purty nice with the Ruger Logo on it (for non-scoped).... http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=691337

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/03/2013 10:09 PM

Originally posted by BowBo:
I have an extra mag too... and even with my old holster, I had to just stick the 2nd mag in my back pocket. That will remain the same for me! frown

You probably saw it, but this one is purty nice with the Ruger Logo on it (for non-scoped).... http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=691337
That's the one Bo!

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/05/2013 05:56 AM

Glad you was able to finally snag those 2 Yaz. The fawns should do really well around there this year once again with them gone.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/06/2013 09:09 PM

I thought it was over. Tracks in the snow said 3 came by my scent post in the pasture, and two left! laugh I took the muddy trap down to the creek and cleaned it off and re-made the set. Hope his partners come back looking for him tonight!

[Linked Image]

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/06/2013 09:17 PM

Your on it man, I need to follow you around a few days to learn to catch these jokers!

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/06/2013 09:26 PM

It just never ends! Nice going Yaz.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/06/2013 09:34 PM

Yer Amish neighbors have GOT to be breeding those yappers! Congrats, bubba! cool

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/06/2013 09:45 PM

It just never ends! Nice going Yaz.
No it doesn't Dave. We are two weeks from having to turn the calves/cows out to pasture with the bulls. They won't have the protection of being close to the houses, and in the barn lots. I WAS going to call it good this weekend and pull everything. But, if the coyotes are still around, I best keep after them.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/06/2013 11:13 PM

I've still got that box of Eleys if ya need 'em! laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/07/2013 02:28 AM

Dang Yaz, you a freaking machine on those things! I might hang a few snares with this snow on. h.h.

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/07/2013 08:51 AM

I've still got that box of Eleys if ya need 'em! laugh
Believe me....had two mags full, and a box in my pocket...this time!!!! :rolleyes: laugh

Re: So it begins.................. - 03/07/2013 06:19 PM

Great job Yaz... A guy thinks you caught them all and they pop up like dandelions. I will probably call it quits this weekend. I bet that muddy wet yote stunk to high heaven.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting