Home

1st beaver ever

Posted By: ParkerBow

1st beaver ever - 12/18/2012 09:38 PM

I caught my first beaver ever last night. Just started beaver trapping this week and caught this 33 lber. I thought a yote was the hardest thing to skin and flesh. Man it takes some muscle to flesh these suckers. I do not know if i would want to catch more than 1 at a time. smile I may have to rethink this beaver trappin stuff.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: delaney

Re: 1st beaver ever - 12/18/2012 10:11 PM

Nice, love the picture!
Posted By: Yaz

Re: 1st beaver ever - 12/18/2012 10:34 PM

Good deal!!!! PB, you may already do this, but here is what I have always done to make fleshing them a little easier. Put them on a flat surface raw side up, use a good sharp knife and cut through the fat and that tough layer in about 3" squares. Crosshatch the entire back where it is the toughest down to the actual hide. The squares come off a lot easier than trying to push it all off at the same time. It only takes a couple minutes, and sure saves the arms!!!
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: 1st beaver ever - 12/19/2012 08:56 AM

Awesome how'd ya catch em?

Re: 1st beaver ever - 12/19/2012 08:03 PM

Originally posted by Yaz:
Good deal!!!! PB, you may already do this, but here is what I have always done to make fleshing them a little easier. Put them on a flat surface raw side up, use a good sharp knife and cut through the fat and that tough layer in about 3" squares. Crosshatch the entire back where it is the toughest down to the actual hide. The squares come off a lot easier than trying to push it all off at the same time. It only takes a couple minutes, and sure saves the arms!!!
Nope!! I fleshed it on a beam like I do coons and yotes. i will have to try the 3" squares next time. Thanks for the advise. Also I want to thank you Yaz for the stake puller idea, I made me one from some scrap stuff laying around and man does it work wonders. I will have to take a pic of it and show you what i came up with. Thanks again

Re: 1st beaver ever - 12/19/2012 08:07 PM

Originally posted by traditionalarcher17:
Awesome how'd ya catch em?
I caught it on a slide where they were working on trees using a 330 conibear. I blocked off the sides where it funneled it right into the trap. Somehow it worked. I will have to get more serious about beaver trapping after January when coon goes out.

Re: 1st beaver ever - 12/20/2012 06:47 PM

Good deal I haven't messed with the conibears yet, that next on the list. I'm having luck with the leg traps though.

Re: 1st beaver ever - 12/20/2012 10:35 PM

Originally posted by traditionalarcher17:
Good deal I haven't messed with the conibears yet, that next on the list. I'm having luck with the leg traps though.
What brand and size leghold trap you using and how do you set them up?

Re: 1st beaver ever - 12/20/2012 11:16 PM

Believe it's the mb 750. Charlie at Hoosier trapper steered me towards those. I haven't set up the drowning rig yet that is on the bill next weekend. I've been setting them in the water on their slides at the bank and staking and wirin them down. I run em about every 4 hours bc w out the drowning rig I don't want one getting out. Had good luck with that but a drowning rig is gonna be next. I'm not going down again til next weekend but ill take pics of my setup and post em.
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: 1st beaver ever - 01/06/2013 02:05 AM

That is why I like using 330's....once every 24 hours then...same for snares....I need to rip the dam's open and lower the water, then I can see which are used to put the 330's in....critters have backed up the creek and are flooding out my farmers fields....2 dams have to go.....the creek is generally only a foot to 3 feet deep, its so deep now, I cant even get in with chest highs...farmer says the critters must go....caught 4 out of the same stretch 2 years back...one was a big 52lber...
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting