Home

Crows

Posted By: varmint101

Crows - 01/22/2017 02:46 PM

My son wanted to go crow hunting in the super nice weather so we went. I haven't called that many crows in forever. They were coming and coming and my barrel was hot! My son was super pumped. Ended up with 5 total. One on the first set and 4 on the second.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Crows - 01/22/2017 03:16 PM

Love it!

I had a bunch come in this morning. Should have taken a shotgun lol
Posted By: sticksender

Re: Crows - 01/22/2017 09:16 PM

Good times!
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Crows - 01/24/2017 06:23 PM

Taste like chicken?
Posted By: BowBo

Re: Crows - 01/24/2017 09:27 PM

LOL @ Jack!

Fun stuff!!
Posted By: shooter

Re: Crows - 01/25/2017 08:20 PM

http://www.crows.net/roostlst.html

Back in the 50's and early 60's there were huge crow roosts in what is the built up area of Greenwood. A cousin of mine would tell me of several school bus loads of FFA and 4H kids would go up there and station themselves in woods on different properties just before the birds were to come in for the night [oh the horror of kids with shotguns] and on command would load up, and wait for the adult to yell to start.

No aiming, just point to the sky and fire as fast as you could. The ones, in the thousands, that didn't get hit would escape to the next woods where another busload of kids were waiting. When all the ammo was gone, there was usually food and drink waiting at the landowners house.

When asked how many were downed, no one knew for sure but some estimates would start at 500 and in one area. Some estimates at the time guessed the total roost was a couple hundred thousand. As a kid I can remember seeing them going to roost in long flights the would last for 15 minutes.

Re: Crows - 01/26/2017 03:46 PM

I'll have to look it up....
How long is season in on 'em?
Posted By: deerhunter986

Re: Crows - 01/26/2017 07:19 PM

Does anyone actually eat them? Anything wrapped in bacon and put on the grill you caint go wrong
Posted By: hornharvester

Re: Crows - 01/26/2017 07:37 PM

Originally posted by deerhunter986:
Does anyone actually eat them? Anything wrapped in bacon and put on the grill you caint go wrong
deerhunter986.....why dont you try them out and report back... wink smile h.h.
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Crows - 01/26/2017 10:24 PM

My dad worked on a ranch in Montana one summer during college during the depression. They trapped and ate crows. He recommended I not try them and I haven't yet.

Re: Crows - 01/29/2017 06:39 AM

Thanks!
No, one of two (coyotes) critters I don't eat that I hunt. The sporting chef guy tried it once and didn't recommend it either. Very strong taste I guess. One day I will probably try one just not sure when!

We went out the next day to the same spot and didn't even rouse one. I suspect a large flock must have been moving through? We did head to another spot we'd never been to and had 20-30 flying over us at one point, but the setup wasn't nearly as good as we were in a hurry and the birds stayed very high. Only a few dropped down and we took 3 total on 4 shots.

It's 30 degrees colder this weekend!

Re: Crows - 01/29/2017 06:52 AM

Bowbo,
Season goes out the first of March and will
Come back in July 1st-8/14. I've always heard it was because of a federal migration treaty of some sort with Mexico, but I'm not 100% sure. They are always hard dates.

I used to use a Johnny Stewart preymaster caller before and did pretty good, but after 15 years or so it quit last year and I got this FoxPro Banshee. It's much louder and the sounds are pretty crisp. I plan to send it back to FP and get more sounds put on. The battery pack cable is too short and needs fixed anyway as it pulls out constantly.

It's a hoot calling in crows. Very fast paced. I have called them in with my voice as well and taken them. Your best bet is to find short trees as they will hug the tops of whatever trees around coming in. If it's just one small patch and an open field it doesn't tend to work out well for me as they will stay skied and you will just educate them. They absolutely remember, but sometimes they forget.

Re: Crows - 01/29/2017 07:08 AM

Shooter,
Very neat!! Won't find that today.
Posted By: Luke the Provider

Re: Crows - 01/29/2017 03:49 PM

Originally posted by hornharvester:....why dont you try them out and report back... wink smile h.h. [/QB]
might taste like a fish sandwich? laugh

Re: Crows - 01/29/2017 10:08 PM

Originally posted by Luke the Provider:
might taste like a fish sandwich? laugh

Might.... but the phrase "eat crow" doesnt relate to rewarding a person with something tasty to eat.....maybe you should cook one up and report back laugh ....h.h.

Re: Crows - 01/29/2017 10:16 PM

Heres the answer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BrxX8LEqs8w

Re: Crows - 01/30/2017 03:54 PM

Some brave guys anyways! LOL
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting