Home

Woodcock on the move?

Posted By: Setterman

Woodcock on the move? - 10/25/2015 01:24 PM

Anyone moving woodcock in northern Indiana? Friend of mine moved very few in Northern Wisconsin last week. The feeling was they had begun moving south. We've seen a handful here this fall, but we think they're residents. They should begin trickling down next week if they're on schedule, but I think we need a few days of strong north winds to get them here in numbers.
Posted By: jbwhttail

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 10/25/2015 09:16 PM

I'm seeing several already south along the Ohio river.
Posted By: nickgsp2

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/01/2015 07:47 AM

Saw about 4 on way in this morning
Posted By: Scarlett Dew

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/01/2015 09:46 PM

Saw 2 today in Kosciusko County......
Posted By: RedLab

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/05/2015 10:47 PM

Saw 2 in Randolph county on Wednesday evening.
Posted By: Parrot Head

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/06/2015 08:21 AM

Let me ask you this. I went mushroom hunting last spring and 3 days in a row I kick up 10 to 15 of those things all in about a 10 foot area. It was the same place all 3 days. Was it breeding season?
Posted By: HatchetJack

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/07/2015 06:57 PM

Might try Atterbury next week...

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/07/2015 07:37 PM

Saw a couple today. Will get after them next week.

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/07/2015 10:10 PM

Most Michigan hunters are reporting the birds moving south so I expect next week to be pretty good.

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/10/2015 04:36 PM

Didn't move any woodcock today but the dog had a great time!!!!!

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/12/2015 07:49 PM

Hunted about three and a half hours today in east central Illinois. Great cover. Moved one woodcock. Saw a couple of fresh splash marks and nothing old and dried. Makes me think they're running late this fall.

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/12/2015 07:53 PM

I did see one splash the other day but didn't move any birds...

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/14/2015 02:00 PM

Jack, hunted not far from the Wabash yesterday for about two hours. After quail more than woodcock on this property, but there are several lowland spots that often hold migrants. First point , I expected a woodcock, but a covey of ten quail got up. Happy to move another, larger, covey a little later, but no signs of woodcock yesterday in west central indiana. A friend told me Willow Slough is full of them, so maybe the last two weeks of the woodcock season will be best around here.

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/16/2015 07:38 PM

I think by the week-end we should see the main flights coming through.

Jack

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/29/2015 08:43 PM

I missed the flight this year. Didn't want to hunt Indiana woodcock cover with my white dogs during the firearms season, so I slipped over to illinois for one last hurrah. Put up a covey of quail along the edge of some of my best woodcock cover. Saw some old chalk and found a straggler about a hundred yards from the truck after three hours of hard hunting. At least I didn't get skunked. I think they slipped through my part of the state pretty much during the firearms season. A couple weeks later than normal. Oh well, now that the deer hunters are done, time to get serious about quail and pheasant.

Re: Woodcock on the move? - 11/29/2015 11:09 PM

yup
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting