Home

Treestand straps

Posted By: bean

Treestand straps - 09/26/2013 10:35 PM

Had a friend fall out of a tree stand today because of old weathered straps holding the stand up. Both straps snapped and he fell 25 feet.

He was not wearing a safety harness. He broke 4 bones in his back, but was still able to walk away. It was a miracle he wasn't paralyzed or killed. He will be in a back brace for 6 weeks and was told he will heal. He was lucky AND he knew better. We have hung a ton of stands together.

1. ALWAYS wear a harness - even when trimming.
2. Check your straps, nuts/bolts, and cables BEFORE getting in the stand.
3. Invest in lifelines. There is no reason these days to fall.
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Treestand straps - 09/26/2013 10:38 PM

ALWAYS use a lifeline! Glad he's gonna be okay, Brian.
Posted By: gundude

Re: Treestand straps - 09/27/2013 07:37 AM

Oh man that's scary!.. the ground doesnt have much give to it..I'm all but done with tree stands . I'm just gonna build tree houses and use them or stay on the ground.
Posted By: delaney

Re: Treestand straps - 09/27/2013 08:47 AM

Glad he walked away. I've had bolts snap on lock ons and I've fallen, once, but had a harness on thankfully.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Treestand straps - 09/30/2013 12:43 PM

I am done with hang on stands

I use a summit viper climber and am attached with a prussic loop every inch of the way up and down during the hunt.

It does not take much of a fall to kill or paralyze you.
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Treestand straps - 09/30/2013 12:45 PM

Yes, I have killed few deer while wearing tennis shoes and both feet on mother earth.

Originally posted by gundude:
.....I'm all but done with tree stands . I'm just gonna build tree houses and use them or stay on the ground.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting