Home

Gun muzzle awareness

Posted By: Weedhopper

Gun muzzle awareness - 10/19/2012 11:36 PM

There are a few of us who meet once a week to do some trap shooting at a local range. I've noticed that several folks pay no attention to their muzzle discipline, even though the gun is broken open.

Please folks..ALWAYS know where your barrel is directed. I see this too often in regards to harvest pictures too. A proud hunter posing with his/her deer,,only to have the weapon laying on the harvested animal, pointed directly towards them.

Accidents happen,,but most are avoidable. Lets hunt safe today, so we can hunt again tomorrow.
Posted By: ParkerBow

Re: Gun muzzle awareness - 10/21/2012 07:44 PM

Weed,
I have noticed the muzzles of guns also laying across a harvested deer pointing directly at the hunter in many pics. Great post and advice. Folks need to be very careful also when putting a firearm into their vehicle. Always put the muzzle in first and make sure it is unloaded. Main thing too is we get in a hurry to get to our hunting area or get back home from a hunt take your time putting your weapon in your vehicle. I had a buddy one time trying to hurry up and get home after a hunt with a muzzleloader and forgot to take the cap off the nipple and wjen he pu it into his truck he hit the hammer against his gear shift and KABOOM!!!! He had a nice mushroom hole in the top of his truck. he was very lucky.
Posted By: APIbowhunter

Re: Gun muzzle awareness - 10/22/2012 06:15 AM

I agree with you guys. I always preach to my kids "never point your weapon at anything you are not willing to destroy even if you know it is unloaded."
Posted By: Jimmy Buffett

Re: Gun muzzle awareness - 10/22/2012 11:32 AM

I certainly agree as well on knowing where your weapon is pointed.

As for pictures, those can sometimes be misleading. I know i have taken some pictures where the muzzle was in a very safe position, but in the picture it appears to be pointed in an unsafe direction.

Bottom line, keep the gun pointed in a safe direction. If you think the gun in unloaded or if you have checked it and verified it is unloaded, treat it like it is loaded.
Posted By: sycamore1371

Re: Gun muzzle awareness - 10/22/2012 05:51 PM

Treat Never Keep Keep
TREAT every weapon as if it were loaded. NEVER point your weapon at anything you do not intend to shoot. KEEP your finger straight and off the trigger until you intend to fire. KEEP the weapon on safe until you intend to fire.
Posted By: trapperDave

Re: Gun muzzle awareness - 10/23/2012 10:32 AM

AND THAT INCLUDES INSIDE A GUN SHOP. Burns my arse to be in a gunshop and have some fool muzzle sweeping me as he coonfingers all the guns
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Gun muzzle awareness - 10/23/2012 04:09 PM

I was at the 1500 gun show here in Indy a few years ago. Noticed a red dot on my black shirt. Some jack-wad was demonstrating lazer sights he had for sale. We had a rather interesting discussion about his lazer sights and Vaseline. wink
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting