Home

Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer.....

Posted By: BREW...

Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer..... - 08/11/2016 09:13 PM

Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer population

Nearly two years after the first controversial deer hunt at Eagle Creek Park, the park is considering another one this fall.

In 2014 and early 2015, the Wounded Warriors and USDA sharpshooters harvested 249 deer, but park administrators say the population is still too high.

They say it's hurting the park's ecosystem and increasing the risk for drivers.

Some wildlife experts say a healthy population would be no more than 73 deer for the entire park.

A count last spring estimated 553 deer.

The park does not need the City-County Council to sign off, but it would need to follow DNR rules and give public notice.
http://www.wthr.com/article/eagle-creek-park-considers-another-hunt-to-control-deer-population
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer..... - 08/12/2016 12:52 PM

How acres is that park ?
Posted By: 76chevy

Re: Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer..... - 08/12/2016 02:06 PM

count me in for the drawing.

Re: Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer..... - 08/12/2016 02:08 PM

part of the problem is that lots of land around there to the north is semi residential and does not allow hunting

Re: Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer..... - 08/12/2016 02:10 PM

3,900 acres (16 km2) of land

Originally posted by Jeff Valovich:
How acres is that park ?
Posted By: BREW...

Re: Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer..... - 08/12/2016 03:09 PM

Originally posted by 76chevy:
count me in for the drawing.
I am Sure there won't be a drawing..... There wasn't the last time!
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer..... - 08/12/2016 07:13 PM

Originally posted by BREW...:
Originally posted by 76chevy:
[b] count me in for the drawing.
I am Sure there won't be a drawing..... There wasn't the last time! [/b]
I doubt there will be one as well... I believe the reason is the state does not own the land therefore having the Wounded Warriors do the hunt was to keep the Peta and other anti hunting people at bay because it would have been bad press and huge backlash for them...
Posted By: Jeff Valovich

Re: Eagle Creek Park considers another hunt to control deer..... - 11/21/2016 09:52 AM

Did they ever decide what they were doing ?? or not doing ??
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting