Home

Worksharp Knife sharpener

Posted By: 76chevy

Worksharp Knife sharpener - 12/20/2014 03:36 PM

http://www.worksharptools.com/knife...work-sharp-knife-and-tool-sharpener.html

[Linked Image]

I finally got ones of these things and the same day it arrived, I sharpened all of my knives, scissors, and a hatchet.

This thing is awesome. I got in on amazon on black friday for $59 and it is worth every penny.

I found that 2 passes with the medium belt then about 10 passes with the fine belt and all of my knives are "shaving sharp"
Posted By: Weedhopper

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 12/20/2014 03:49 PM

Learn how to properly sharpen a knife with a good stone and purchase knives made with good metal. Then learn how to use a steel. Save yer $$ for other gimmicks...

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 12/20/2014 07:28 PM

thanks for the advice. My main knives are forshner-victorinox and dexter russell so the steel is pretty good quality.

This company took the belt technology from their industrial sharpening application products and made an easy to use consumer product out of it.

Also, I took your advice from 4 years ago and got a pair of these mickey boots.

I love them and hope to get lots of cold weather use out of them.

Originally posted by Weedhopper:
Apparently you've never worn these. cool

20 years strong with a light pair of wool socks on the ice all day.... wink I aslo have a pair of the Ice Kings. Much lighter, and good for hunting on stand. But for ice fishing,,the Mickey Mouse boots will be on my feet. cool

[Linked Image]

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 12/20/2014 10:27 PM

Still use them boots too! wink

The knives you mention are decent "user friendly" blades,,,the 1095 carbon steel from Russell is awesome, as the carbon blades are easy to sharpen and hold an edge for awhile. I use Forschner knives for boning and skinning. The steel isn't the greatest, but easy to sharpen and touch up with a good smooth steel.

I try to steer away from any motorized mechanism that may heat the blade enough to affect the temper in the steel on my "good" knives.

Using a good stone takes a little practice, but "shaving sharp" edges can be achieved in a short amount of time once you get the hang of it. With the combination of a stone, steel,,and a strop..your knives will amaze you.
Posted By: Yaz

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/06/2015 08:43 AM

I have one of these too Chevy. It has its place. I have a couple dozen different kinds of boning, skinning and fillet knives I use in the shop. Basically, cheap, "utility" types. When skinning for trapping, or taxidermy work, I use those, and sharpen on the worksharp. Its quick, which is to me the most important. I would NEVER use it on my good custom hunting knives, or heirloom type knives. The Worksharp takes off WAY too much metal for those. I dress the belts with beeswax, or other similar sharpening type waxes before using them. It cuts down on the heat, and the amount of cutting of metal. My good knives get sharpened on a quality set of stones.
Posted By: Steiny

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/06/2015 01:39 PM

I'll second weedhoppers views. Also, once you get your knives sharp, keep them sharp by using them properly and touching up periodically with the steel as you work.
Posted By: Gilley

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/07/2015 10:58 AM

Chevy, i've been looking at those also. So does it work as good as they say? Is the Ken Onion model any better? Sorry guys but i don't have expensive knives, i do sharpen everything on a stone and use a steel cause i worked in a butcher shop for 5 years but i'm always looking for a good shortcut to anything. smile

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/10/2015 09:16 PM

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/24/2015 07:30 AM

I have been very impressed with it. I do like the ken onion model and varying angles you can do. I got a deal on the basic model and it seems to be meeting my needs....I don't own and "good custom or heirloom type of knives" just utility type hunting and skinning knives so it is ideal for me.

It does take the metal off...which means it sharpens very quickly!

Originally posted by Gilley:
Chevy, i've been looking at those also. So does it work as good as they say? Is the Ken Onion model any better? Sorry guys but i don't have expensive knives, i do sharpen everything on a stone and use a steel cause i worked in a butcher shop for 5 years but i'm always looking for a good shortcut to anything. smile

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/25/2015 07:28 AM

Guess what I got for Christmas?? :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :p Dang thing does work good for the utility knife stuff, and some of the inexpensive butcher knives I have laying around. wink

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/25/2015 02:22 PM

I may have to look into one of those, just because I like gadgets like that. Thanks

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/25/2015 05:23 PM

Gilley,

If you were closer I would meet up with you and let you use it, one round of sharpening every knife , scissors, hatchets, etc. you own and I bet you will be buying one

=)

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/25/2015 09:38 PM

Justin, do you have a local source for replacement belts? I took mine to the firehouse and sharpened all the stuff we have there. Pretty much wore out one set of the red and grey belts.

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/26/2015 07:08 PM

Weed,

I got some in the bargain cave at cabelas in Columbus, OH to stock up

Hard to beat the price on amazon.com though:

http://www.amazon.com/Work-Sharp-Sh...22317231&sr=8-1&keywords=worksharp+belts

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 01/26/2015 07:39 PM

That's not bad for all that got sharpened! Thanks man! cool
Posted By: garman6

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/10/2015 03:31 PM

I have one just sharpened my Ice Auger blades with it and it worked great. We use at work all the time to sharpen pruners and loppers and all my landscaping knives. I have no issues with the edge it puts on knives. it has more than paid for itself.
Posted By: THROBAK

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/10/2015 04:03 PM

Drilled any holes Never got them to drill after I tried to sharpen

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/10/2015 04:57 PM

I did on Sunday and it worked awesome. The thing that Work Sharp holds the angle since it's a belt

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/10/2015 07:07 PM

Originally posted by Weedhopper:
Justin, do you have a local source for replacement belts? I took mine to the firehouse and sharpened all the stuff we have there. Pretty much wore out one set of the red and grey belts.
You might try Rural King. Thats where I got mine. However, they have not had any in stock since Christmas here in Gburg. Like Chevy said, Amazon's prices were better……..
Posted By: Bryan78

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/10/2015 07:18 PM

Originally posted by Yaz:
You might try Rural King. Thats where I got mine. However, they have not had any in stock since Christmas here in Gburg. Like Chevy said, Amazon's prices were better……..
Hey Yaz, have you tried Shelbyville's Rural King?

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/10/2015 07:28 PM

I did not know there was one there yet….Had heard they were thinking about putting one over there. Where is it at?? I drive through there every day. Thanks!

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/10/2015 08:54 PM

Originally posted by Yaz:
I did not know there was one there yet….Had heard they were thinking about putting one over there. Where is it at?? I drive through there every day. Thanks!
If you drive here everyday then you probably passed it a million times lol... It's been open pushing two years now...

It is in the old Wal Mart building in the plaza where the Burger King is on ST RD 44... It's a nice store...

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/15/2015 03:36 PM

So have you made it to Rural King in Shelbyville yet Yaz?

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/17/2015 10:45 AM

I just bought another one off of Amazon for work and it was $65.00. Like I said it is worth the money and I can do the same thing with the new belts they have as I can do with a good stone!

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/17/2015 10:48 AM

Originally posted by Bryan78:
So have you made it to Rural King in Shelbyville yet Yaz?
No Brian, I have not. Been too busy to stop in.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/17/2015 11:43 AM

They are putting in a rural king by me in greenwood. Pretty excited.
Posted By: antiwheeze

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/17/2015 12:05 PM

Originally posted by traditionalarcher17:
They are putting in a rural king by me in greenwood. Pretty excited.
Must be across the street from Lotus Garden.
Go there about once a month cause wife loves Chow Mein.
Competition for Tractor Supply.
Posted By: traditionalarcher17

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 02/17/2015 12:37 PM

Yep where the k mart used to be. I just wish they'd build build a big r somewhere close.
Posted By: HS Strut

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 03/08/2015 06:01 PM

I got my worksharp about a year ago...within an hour every knife in the house was dangerously sharp.
Heck, we gotta keep the butter knives out of reach of children!

Re: Worksharp Knife sharpener - 04/04/2015 09:46 PM

Got me a worksharp last week at Rural King. You guys were right. Quick, easy, and very sharp. Sharpened every knife we own, scissors, mower blades, machete, axe,.... laugh
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting