Home

smoker help

Posted By: bowman19

smoker help - 04/10/2009 01:47 PM

just got a smoker and was wondering if anyone had any good recipes for a smoker. ive got a deer roast and a pork sholder in right now but want to try a lot of things thanks
Posted By: loadedgun

Re: smoker help - 04/11/2009 12:46 PM

My best advice is just to experiment. I got mine a couple of years ago and love it. I typically just make a rub out of random spices. Never the same twice, but a good starting point is:
Brown Sugar
Black Pepper
Garlic Powder/Garlic Salt
Paprika
Oregano
Red Pepper

I usually mix these (its mostly brown sugar and Paprika) ahead of time (just eyeball it), rub it on the roast, and let it sit overnight in the fridge. You'll learn to know what you do or don't like in it.

The key I think is the brown sugar. Gives it a sweet taste mixed with the smoke. MMMMM this is making me hungry.
Posted By: loadedgun

Re: smoker help - 04/11/2009 12:49 PM

I also tried a Beer-Butt chicken in the smoker once. Half a can of beer, mixed with butter and paprika, using one of those beer butt chicken stands. Rubbed the entire chicken with more butter/paprika mix, and it was great.
Posted By: Hoosier Hunter

Re: smoker help - 04/11/2009 07:18 PM

I've had a smoker for years. Racks of Ribs come out excellent and so do thick cut pork chops. One of my favorites is chickens.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting