Home

Sweet & Spicy Jerky

Posted By: Lady Artemis

Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 01/31/2009 10:47 PM

I make this stuff up, it's more addicting than potato chips, just can't eat one piece. Forget about taking it to work, your coworkers will turn into animals and knock you over for a piece of jerky! laugh

This recipe uses ground meat, a jerky gun and dehydrator. This makes a good size batch, that will fit a regular dehydrator. If this makes too much, only dry half the batch at a time and refrigerate rest until you can dry it too.

3 # ground Venison
1/4 c. soy sauce
3/4 c. teriyaki sauce
1 tsp liquid smoke
1/4 c. water
2 Tablespoons BBQ sauce
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp ground Red Pepper
1 Tablespoon Morton curing salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 tsp ground ginger

Instructions: I use plain ground venison, I tried pork mix / beef mix, both had a greasy finished product that was unappealing. Thaw and drain meat, put in large glass or plastic bowl. In another bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Make sure you stir it really well to dissolve dry stuff. Pour it over meat, and kinda stir it all together. Work out any air bubbles that you can, smooth out surface with a spoon to ensure good marinade contact. Cover the bowl tightly with a lid or plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 8 hours, up to 24 hours. When you remove from fridge, all the liquid will be absorbed into meat. Stir it up again. Use a jerky gun to shoot in onto the trays. Follow your machines directions about time, but mine takes about 10 hours to dry properly. My dehydrator is an American Harvest Snackmaster, works just fine for jerky (never used for anything else) Once this stuff is done, cool it completely, store in Ziploc bags and it is shelf safe until ya finish it off! Enjoy!

Courtesy of Leslie Conrad
Posted By: Derslayer1

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 02/01/2009 07:11 AM

I use the snackmaster jr, same thing but a wee bit smaller. I made a 4lb batch yesterday, little differnt recipe tho. One thing I would add in directions if I may Bambi, DO NOT put your finished jerky, whether muscle or burger, into the sack when it is warm. The moisture will collect and start it forming white kiwi on it in a few days. I always keep an open 1lb ziplock for the kids to eat out of, and the rest gets sealed with the foodsaver.
Posted By: Archer-Andy

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 02/01/2009 10:38 PM

Thanks bambihunter_357 for the recipe. I will be trying this out in the near future.

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 02/03/2009 12:20 AM

Originally posted by Derslayer1:
One thing I would add in directions if I may Bambi, DO NOT put your finished jerky, whether muscle or burger, into the sack when it is warm. The moisture will collect and start it forming white kiwi on it in a few days.
Yeah, I'm pretty anal about cooling mine. When mine's done, I turn off machine and allow the jerky to cool/air dry for rest of the day. Only then do I seal it up into snacksize Ziplocs (perfect portion control), doublebag, then freeze. I have a cat - and an occasional rodent mad , so I'll be darned to let one of them get there grubby paws of my hard-won jerky.

If I plan on sharing with coworkers, I put whole batch in Gallon size Ziploc, take to work and the fiends will eat all of it in one day. laugh
Posted By: GreyGhostHntr

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 02/04/2009 10:07 PM

bambihunter_357,

I usually make a batch of jerky using a dry packet mix from Bass Pro.

I mixed up a three pound batch of your recipe this afternoon and it sure smells great. I am going to put it in the dehydrator tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing your recipe! I'll let you know how everyone likes it.

John

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 02/05/2009 05:49 PM

bambihunter_357,

Well, everyone said the recipe was a winner.

Only one complaint. My neighbor likes it a little hotter. So I am going to make a special batch up for him.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

John

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 02/08/2009 12:24 AM

Originally posted by GreyGhostHntr:
bambihunter_357,
My neighbor likes it a little hotter. So I am going to make a special batch up for him.
John
Yeah, this is my basic recipe, for the masses to enjoy. I also have a coworker that wants it hot, so I just put a liberal coating of cayenne pepper on his portion before drying. He went nuts over it...I told him 'no more begging', get yer own deer!
laugh

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 02/08/2009 01:44 PM

bambihunter_357,

Yeah, that is the same issue that I am having at the moment. Too many friends wanting venison jerky and summer sausage. To top it off most of them are hunters and could/should be making their own. Thanks again!

John

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 04/23/2009 05:43 PM

:p
I thought this one could use a 'bump'
Enjoy!
Posted By: Felix

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 04/28/2009 03:15 PM

Originally posted by GreyGhostHntr:
bambihunter_357,

Well, everyone said the recipe was a winner.

Only one complaint. My neighbor likes it a little hotter. So I am going to make a special batch up for him.

Thanks for sharing your recipe.

John
I like special batches!! laugh
Posted By: powderfinger

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 04/28/2009 04:37 PM

10 hours??? Do you have any pictures of the finished product?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Sweet & Spicy Jerky - 07/09/2009 12:11 PM

ttt
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting