Home

Pond stocking

Posted By: Charlie...

Pond stocking - 04/01/2012 08:53 PM

Does anyone know where I can buy fathead minnows& H.Bluegills or H.Redears, & Channle catfish in the northern Indiana area. There is a truck coming in this area next Wednesday from Arkansas. Just wondering if anyone know of a local place. Thanks
Charlie
Posted By: BREW...

Re: Pond stocking - 04/01/2012 11:22 PM

http://www.jonesfish.com/home

They have a office in Ft. Wayne,In
Posted By: aimlow

Re: Pond stocking - 04/03/2012 07:54 AM

I stocked my pond about 2 years ago with fish from Jones Fish that Brew mentioned. I was really happy with the quality of fish and out of the 200 or so fish they stocked I only saw 1 dead channel cat. I ordered channel cats, fathead minnows, grass carp and hybrid bluegill from them. My hybrid bluegills were 4-6 inches when stocked and now are 6-8 inches long so they are growing nicely. I'd highly recommend them.
Posted By: Goosepond_Monster

Re: Pond stocking - 04/03/2012 01:49 PM

I'm just curious, but what is the reason for stocking the minnows in a pond? Are they food for the other fish?
Posted By: Felix

Re: Pond stocking - 04/06/2012 12:25 PM

WE (Porter County Conservation Club) have been using Jones for the last 4 years. No need to look any other place! Great service, great product!
Posted By: ParkerBow

Re: Pond stocking - 04/08/2012 08:28 PM

Originally posted by Goosepond_Monster:
I'm just curious, but what is the reason for stocking the minnows in a pond? Are they food for the other fish?
Fathead minnows are prolific breeders and hatch out many eggs therefore making an abundance of food for your fish to eat. So yes they are put in for food purposes.
Posted By: Goosepond_Monster

Re: Pond stocking - 04/09/2012 09:31 AM

Originally posted by ParkerBow:
Fathead minnows are prolific breeders and hatch out many eggs therefore making an abundance of food for your fish to eat. So yes they are put in for food purposes.
That's what I figured. Thanks for the info.
Posted By: aimlow

Re: Pond stocking - 04/12/2012 11:42 AM

In 2010 I put in 10 pounds of fathead minnows in the spring and another 10 pounds in the fall. Since stocking them I have noticed my bass look fatter and healthy. My pond is about 1 acre in size and there are no crappie in it. The only reason I added the fatheads was to give my bass something else to eat other than my bluegill. I had started to notice that the overall size of my bluegill was decreasing. I made the assumption that it was because my bass were hammering them. So far it looks like I was right as my bluegill have gotten bigger and the bass seem fatter.
© 2024 Hoosier Hunting